Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Very strange sound heard near the woods

Blade_Rain

Its a bird. I forget what its called and it might not be the same but what you described is close. It's pitch goes up and down, depending on the bird and it hears like someone screaming in pain.

The first night I ever heard it I was in a beach house nestled in the bush on an island off the coast. 1 am I woke up to the screaming which surrounded the house and would not stop. There had to be over three dozen separate cries going at one time.

Haunts me to this day even though I know they are birds.

Its a bird. I forget what its called and it might not be the same but what you described is close. It's pitch goes up and down, depending on the bird and it hears like someone screaming in pain.

The first night I ever heard it I was in a beach house nestled in the bush on an island off the coast. 1 am I woke up to the screaming which surrounded the house and would not stop. There had to be over three dozen separate cries going at one time.

Haunts me to this day even though I know they are birds.

Does anybody in Australia know what the bird is called?? Is it black?? Is it a large bird?? Thanks for the interesting story. Another wak-wak by the sounds of things.

I'm going to take a guess that since the OP hasn't been on since 2009, it's unlikely that we will know for sure what they heard in the wilds of central Delaware.

I'm not trying to say don't talk about this thread... Just that one probably shouldn't hope that the OP will respond to questions.

I'm going to take a guess that since the OP hasn't been on since 2009, it's unlikely that we will know for sure what they heard in the wilds of central Delaware.

I'm not trying to say don't talk about this thread... Just that one probably shouldn't hope that the OP will respond to questions.

So like 85% of the new posters on this site. They come on here making crazy claims and when folks actually respond with real world solutions instead of "OMG that was Bigfoot", they quickly get bored and leave.

Does anybody in Australia know what the bird is called?? Is it black?? Is it a large bird?? Thanks for the interesting story. Another wak-wak by the sounds of things.

People know I forget though I was like 11. I will ask my dad when i see him. They might be curlews

I know some of the large ravens make sounds like people screaming in pain, scary if you hear it out in the bush. Also i've heard black cockatoo's make weird noises like little girls screaming.

Sorry for double post but I just remembered a time I went camping. During the night we could occasionally hear this noise, after a while it started to sound like someone screaming "help". There would be about a ten minute period between noises so it was hard to properly hear it over the wind. Ended up being a sheep or something 'bahh-ing' in a nearby farm. :blink:

There has been a noted phenomena across the world where ppl have documented noises tbat are coming literally out of the clear, blue sky. Some ppl have posted videos of these instances on YouTube. Some ppl liken the sound to the earth groaning on sighing..... maybe you are hearing that. I guess that would be a kin to hearing the earth settle.

Thanks for all of your replies! I'm going to do some research to see if I can find any commonalities with any other animals. To be honest, we've had a fox problem around here lately (one passed about two feet in front of my bedroom window a few nights ago and then ran away), but I've never heard what they sound like.

Again, to be honest, it'd be cool if it <i>wasn't</i> any known animal.

foxes, usually when breeding, scream. it can sound like a human screaming or a high pitched squeal, probably just a fox, hear it all the time here :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey Blade,

I had a similar experience myself. A couple of months ago I was sitting at my desk near a window at night when I heard 2 very loud, high pitch sounds which sorta sounded like a monkey screaming. Or the so said "Big foot howling" recording they post online. Only it was higher and a tad bit different. I don't know.. It's really hard to explain. Anyway, I live in Georgia. I've lived her for 15 years and I know what types of animals live here. Deer, squirrels, raccoons, coyotes, possums, skunks, etc. But never have I heard anything quite like it. Oh and the sound also came from my woods as well. Maybe we heard the same thing, maybe we didn't. Just thought I'd share.

ever heard a rabbit scream?

How about peacocks. People have them as pets or 'alarms'.

The noises were probably a mountain lion or some sort of cougar. They can OFTEN imitate sounds of crying babies, so I don't see how making a "waaaa" sound would be much more difficult.

I'm sorry. I found that funny, just imagining a big cat crying like a baby.

Please don't mind me. Continue on!

Being in Delaware, you may have some type of waterfowl like Cranes, or Egrets. They probably make weird calls. Usually once or twice a year, a storm will push seagulls all the way into West Virginia where I live.

• 2 months later...

I was turkey hunting over the weekend and heard a loud waaaa or whooping sound that sounded like a human woman around 4am. I just came across the sounds of barred owls and realized this is exactly what I heard. Click this link, scroll down and then click on owl sound #4. Hope this helps. http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/barred_owl.htm

Edited by LoyToy

Nothing strange about the noises, but what i find strange is you get your paper delivered at that time in the morning?

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing strange about the noises, but what i find strange is you get your paper delivered at that time in the morning?

My paper comes at 4am..

On Saturday I heard a strange sound while taking a hike. It was sunny, warm and clear, a beautiful spring morning. Early in the hike I heard a very loud and strange noise. It sounded like someone was rubbing 2 trashcan lids together. I was walking in the direction of the sound and I slowed down, not sure if I was going to come upon an injured animal or a rabid coyote. I also pulled out my phone hoping I could get a picture, and later realized I could have recorded video and at least captured the sound…

Anyway,as I approached the sound, it began quickly moving to my left, into a swamp. There was a small berm between my location and the swamp, but behind that berm I saw two black (things?) moving rapidly over the swamp. The berm blocked part of my view, and the things continued moving to the left, and then moved at a right angle away from me and disappeared.

If they were birds, they were unlike any I’ve ever seen or heard. It may also have been just one creature, with the berm blocking my view of the rest of it. Maybe I was seeing 2 shoulder blades or humps? I dunno, but it was very odd.

Later in this hike I began thinking of the number “2” and of an ancient elder from this area who went by two names. I spoke his 2 names and bingo – I saw 2 deer bounding through the woods.

• 4 weeks later...