Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Shadow People

PuffDragon

I think a lot of our problems with Shadows stem from where/when we evolved from.....we naturally fear the dark just in case a predator could be lay in wait.People forget that we humans were a food source for other animals...if we now go into a dark room/place which we are scared of,we instantly look for an exit....its human nature.....thats why (imo) during sleep paralysis we see shadows....btw..im probably wrong....:wacko:

Edited by BrianPotter

can you supply any for of proof from this reasearch or is it the type where your simply told?

also many people will say anything to sell a book...

You must be working for them to keep the truth hidden. The truth is now being revealed.

You must be working for them to keep the truth hidden. The truth is now being revealed.

whether i work for them is neither here nor there...

i do question why the option of people simply misunderstanding what they see isnt more deeply explored.

a poster above said using low quality globes increases the chances of seeing shadow(s) people...

you dont say...

Hey, Puff, thanks for sharing your experiences. The shadow people/shadow person phenomena intrigues me. I have three questions.

1.) Has anyone besides yourself seen these entities in your home?

2.) Does there seem to be any type of pattern as to when they show up? A certain time of day?

3.) Have you done any sort of research into the history of the property of your home and/or the general area in which you live? I realize this is a totally stereotypical question, but hey, couldn't hurt, could it? :)

Forgive me if you've answered these questions previously, I have a tendency to skip around when I read.

The fact that there seem to be different "types" is what intrigues me the most. I've heard people theorize that these beings are a type of "fairy people". With your description of the different sizes and color, it would make sense, given that there are supposedly many races of fairies. It would also explain the fighting between them. The fact that you say some of them express curiosity about you, while others seem to ignore you compeltely, also fits well with the fairy theory.

As for whether they're absolutely "evil" or "good," I think that depends largely on what type of interaction a person has had with these beings, which isn't exactly fair. That would be like me saying, after having been bit by beagle puppy, that all beagles are killing machines. :P Kinda silly, huh?

Also, welcome to UM!

As for whether they're absolutely "evil" or "good," I think that depends largely on what type of interaction a person has had with these beings, which isn't exactly fair. That would be like me saying, after having been bit by beagle puppy, that all beagles are killing machines. :P Kinda silly, huh?

Any entity openly refusing to be identified is obviously not hanging around to do good. If they had nothing to hide, they would show a face, or at the least identify themselves. The fact that they wish to remain shadows with no real identifying features makes them dangerous as a whole.

If you work at a gas station and in the middle of the night a man walks up covered in black from head to toe, not letting you see who he is, or any identifying features would you also think he might be of good intent? If he was truly not of ill intent he would have uncovered his face and let you identify him wouldn't he?

Any entity openly refusing to be identified is obviously not hanging around to do good. If they had nothing to hide, they would show a face, or at the least identify themselves. The fact that they wish to remain shadows with no real identifying features makes them dangerous as a whole.

If you work at a gas station and in the middle of the night a man walks up covered in black from head to toe, not letting you see who he is, or any identifying features would you also think he might be of good intent? If he was truly not of ill intent he would have uncovered his face and let you identify him wouldn't he?

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps these entities don't possess enough strength manifest fully, or maybe their "facelessness" really is their complete form. Or perhaps, operating on the theory that they are from another "plane of existence", a part of them is "stuck" on the plane from which they originate, thus inhibiting them from attaining full manifestation and the ability to communicate. So many possibilites! :)

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps these entities don't possess enough strength manifest fully, or maybe their "facelessness" really is their complete form. Or perhaps, operating on the theory that they are from another "plane of existence", a part of them is "stuck" on the plane from which they originate, thus inhibiting them from attaining full manifestation and the ability to communicate. So many possibilites! :)

I believe we will have to respect each others beliefs, seeing as how they contradict one another.

In my beliefs there is no such thing as an entity lacking enough strength to fully manifest, furthermore if an entities true form is to not have a face it is also regarded and classified as a dark entity. As for a part of them being stuck, is just as valid to us as saying humans that are missing emotions are because they were born without them.(Completely unrealistic to us)

While these are my beliefs, I respect your rights to have your very own and share them with all of us. I'm intrigued as to why exactly you'd consider them being fairies as not all of them fit the size requirements...

Please enlighten us on your belief of what a fairy is, and what one may look like. I'm not being sarcastic, I really do like seeing other people's views on the paranormal.

I believe we will have to respect each others beliefs, seeing as how they contradict one another.

In my beliefs there is no such thing as an entity lacking enough strength to fully manifest, furthermore if an entities true form is to not have a face it is also regarded and classified as a dark entity. As for a part of them being stuck, is just as valid to us as saying humans that are missing emotions are because they were born without them.(Completely unrealistic to us)

While these are my beliefs, I respect your rights to have your very own and share them with all of us. I'm intrigued as to why exactly you'd consider them being fairies as not all of them fit the size requirements...

Please enlighten us on your belief of what a fairy is, and what one may look like. I'm not being sarcastic, I really do like seeing other people's views on the paranormal.

I'd really rather not overtake PuffDragon's thread (unless of course they ask me to elaborate on the subject here), but if you'd like to PM me I'd be more than happy to discuss this with you further.

I'd really rather not overtake PuffDragon's thread (unless of course they ask me to elaborate on the subject here), but if you'd like to PM me I'd be more than happy to discuss this with you further.

You both have plausable theories here, we don't know exactly what these things are. I have religious beliefs but I try to keep an open mind about these things. I will say though, in my experience I can agree with the notion that these things really don't have a "power" or "energy" problem. They seem to do things that you would assume expells a lot of energy all the time but just choose not to show themselvs fully or I.D themselves etc etc.

The shadows are Djinn, Jinn.

how can you begin to know that?

"The Hat Man

The one known as The Hat Man is thought to be their leader. This shadow is seen with various kinds of hats, and sometimes with glowing red eyes. The Hat Man is usually accompanied by a sense of dread or terror. No one knows what this being wants. . . ."

Very interesting. I have seen a "Hat Man". This would have been around 1999 or 2000. I was sleeping in my girlfriend's parents' basement. She was asleep on a bed and I lay on the floor, perpendicular to the bed, with my feet almost touching it, so that the bed and I made an "L" shape. I awoke in the middle of the night to see what looked like the detached shadow of a man walking through the basement. This "shadow" however, seemed to have depth to it, a "three-dimensionality" one wouldn't normally associate with a shadow. It was obviously male, and seemed to be wearing some sort of trench coat and wide-brimmed hat. It was about 6'1" (I can surmise that, as the basement ceiling was only about 6'4" high, and the shadow's hat seemed to brush the ceiling) and had no visible eyes, red or otherwise.

It approached, hesitated for a moment, and very deliberately and carefully stepped over me. I felt no physical disturbance, e.g., displaced air or low-hanging clothing brushing against me. It stood next to the bed for a moment and seemed to be looking at my girlfriend, and then slowly faded from view. I woke up again at some point and saw this Hat Man walking through the basement once again, but quickly fell back into sleep. You may wonder how I could possibly have taken all this in so calmly, and believe me, I asked myself the same question the next morning. Whatever this entity was, it seemed to exude a feeling of calm about it. I picked up no ill-intent; if anything, it felt peaceful and friendly. Normally, when I encounter a ghost or other non-physical entity, my hackles go up and my body floods with adrenaline. Not so in this case.

When I told my girlfriend about it, she said that she had seen the same entity several times growing up in that house and that she had never felt ill at ease, either. I might be tempted to chalk it all up to only being half-awake and still-dreaming, but for my girlfriend's corroboration.

I am replying to Allen Embryo's post. Your story is much of what I can relate to and hopefully it can help you understand things much clearer with my experience. As a kid I have seen what my people call Duendes also known as "the little people". Their are many legends of Duendes in Guam that they are the children of the land that watch over our island. However, I prefer to differ. I have seen Duendes (little people) many times and although I have seen little Duendes as children other times they were almost like little adults. I am not sure how old I was exactly but what I can remember my first encounter was in one of the apartments I used to live in and I heard a knock at the door. In fact, my mom had also heard the knock on the door. I had opened the door and it was a little man in a little wheel chair and I believe a little woman holding the wheel chair as if she were pushing him around. The man had told me to listen to my mom or else I will get pinched. I remembered telling my mom that day that it was a little man in a wheel chair and she freaked out when I described it to her. Since then my family and I had moved into my grandma's house which I have seen most activity there at the time. I have seen dark small shadows in the end of my parents bed when I would sleep with them. I would feel a tug on my feet and wake up seeing the shadow. In fact, in the backyard of my neighbors yard they actually had a hide out where either the Japanese or the Spainards used to hide out in and that is where I would see most of them I think up to five. The Duendes would follow me everywhere and would actually pinch me when I disobeyed my parents. For me at that age they were not pinching me to be harmful. Being a Chamorro one thing that we value is respect. We believe you should respect your elders and we also believe children should be in before dark. With that it is believed if you pass through or use the restroom near or in the jungle you need to ask for permission in Chamorro or else you will either get sick or will get pinched. It is also said that if you get pinched and it hurts when you touch it you are not liked. It was as I got older my cousins and I would play in the jungle and play hiding go seek. One time I had saw this little boy crying. To paint a picture he was squatting and putting his head in between his knees and crying. I walked up to him and asked why he was crying and my cousin noticed me looking towards the ground and talking. She then asked who I am talking to and I told her the little boy is crying. She then thought I was trying to scare her and she told me to stop saying that. When I looked back to show her the boy he wasn't there. However, when we got older her and I were walking to my cousins house down the street and we saw a bunch of little children jumping on the tin that was piled up on the side of the road and I asked her does she see what I see. She says I don't know let's get closer what is that. I knew it was Duendes but I had to make her come to the concclusion on her own that it was in fact Duendes and not little children from our neighborhood. So, as we walked closer she realizes it and screams its Duendes we run toward the house we were trying to get to and we can hear the children running towards us. Finally, after 11-13 years she believes everything I have ever said about Duendes being real has finally came to light. Well, their is much of what I have seen which I hope I do not see in my life again. What I have wrote is not even 5% of what I have experienced. If anyone would want to know more I wouldn't mind sharing my experience. I just have wrote too much and I am not sure if I am boring everyone with my experiences.

I am replying to Allen Embryo's post. Your story is much of what I can relate to and hopefully it can help you understand things much clearer with my experience. As a kid I have seen what my people call Duendes also known as "the little people". Their are many legends of Duendes in Guam that they are the children of the land that watch over our island. However, I prefer to differ. I have seen Duendes (little people) many times and although I have seen little Duendes as children other times they were almost like little adults. I am not sure how old I was exactly but what I can remember my first encounter was in one of the apartments I used to live in and I heard a knock at the door. In fact, my mom had also heard the knock on the door. I had opened the door and it was a little man in a little wheel chair and I believe a little woman holding the wheel chair as if she were pushing him around. The man had told me to listen to my mom or else I will get pinched. I remembered telling my mom that day that it was a little man in a wheel chair and she freaked out when I described it to her. Since then my family and I had moved into my grandma's house which I have seen most activity there at the time. I have seen dark small shadows in the end of my parents bed when I would sleep with them. I would feel a tug on my feet and wake up seeing the shadow. In fact, in the backyard of my neighbors yard they actually had a hide out where either the Japanese or the Spainards used to hide out in and that is where I would see most of them I think up to five. The Duendes would follow me everywhere and would actually pinch me when I disobeyed my parents. For me at that age they were not pinching me to be harmful. Being a Chamorro one thing that we value is respect. We believe you should respect your elders and we also believe children should be in before dark. With that it is believed if you pass through or use the restroom near or in the jungle you need to ask for permission in Chamorro or else you will either get sick or will get pinched. It is also said that if you get pinched and it hurts when you touch it you are not liked. It was as I got older my cousins and I would play in the jungle and play hiding go seek. One time I had saw this little boy crying. To paint a picture he was squatting and putting his head in between his knees and crying. I walked up to him and asked why he was crying and my cousin noticed me looking towards the ground and talking. She then asked who I am talking to and I told her the little boy is crying. She then thought I was trying to scare her and she told me to stop saying that. When I looked back to show her the boy he wasn't there. However, when we got older her and we were walking to my cousins house down the street and we saw a bunch of little children jumping on the tin that was piled up on the side of the road and I asked her does she see what I see. She says I don't know let's get closer what is that. I knew it was Duendes but I had to make her come to the concclusion on her own that it was in fact Duendes and not little children from our neighborhood. So, as we walked closer she realizes it and screams its Duendes we run toward the house we were trying to get to and we can hear the children running towards us. Finally, after 11-13 years she believes everything I have ever said about Duendes being real has finally came to light. Well, their is much of what I have seen which I hope I do not see in my life again. What I have wrote is not even 5% of what I have experienced. If anyone would want to know more I wouldn't mind sharing my experience. I just have wrote too much and I am not sure if I am boring everyone with my experiences.

Used to know a guy who was a meth head who saw shadow people. Usually after being awake for about 4 days...he talked about moving the fridge so we could see them but we told him nah...they'll just run behind the stove. He finally got clean and voila' no more shadow people.

Just sayin'.... :blink:

I had an experience with shadow people when I was a kid, about 4 years old (I'm 23 now).

I remember lying in bed one night having woken from sleep, when a couple of shadowy figures emerged from the wall at the end of my bedroom and ran over to my bed, I sat up and swung my legs out of the bed to make a run for it but one figure grabbed my knee and said "your not going anywhere" so I yelled out for my Mum and Dad to come help me and the shadowmen bolted it back the way they came.

I only remember this one encounter with the shadow figures who I referred to as the Dark men but my Mother and Father tell me I had nightmares about them every night for at least a month, my Mother was even considering taking me to a doctor to get some 'help' until one day I apparently just turned around to her and said something along the lines of "it's okay now, another one came and told the other darkmen to leave me alone".

I pretty much just shrug it off as me having a bad dream and then playing for attention as young kids often do, though I have had a few realistic feeling dreams in my time but this one seems much more real than any i've ever had.

Guess it could just be down to the fact that I was battling a crippling meth addiction at the time, eh 'and then'?...

I had an experience with shadow people when I was a kid, about 4 years old (I'm 23 now).

I remember lying in bed one night having woken from sleep, when a couple of shadowy figures emerged from the wall at the end of my bedroom and ran over to my bed, I sat up and swung my legs out of the bed to make a run for it but one figure grabbed my knee and said "your not going anywhere" so I yelled out for my Mum and Dad to come help me and the shadowmen bolted it back the way they came.

I only remember this one encounter with the shadow figures who I referred to as the Dark men but my Mother and Father tell me I had nightmares about them every night for at least a month, my Mother was even considering taking me to a doctor to get some 'help' until one day I apparently just turned around to her and said something along the lines of "it's okay now, another one came and told the other darkmen to leave me alone".

I pretty much just shrug it off as me having a bad dream and then playing for attention as young kids often do, though I have had a few realistic feeling dreams in my time but this one seems much more real than any i've ever had.

Guess it could just be down to the fact that I was battling a crippling meth addiction at the time, eh 'and then'?...

no but you were a child with an over active imagination.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen a shadow person during the day, face on (in my line of sight). It was absolute shock. Like some members here that have described them, I can tell which ones are most likely accurate vs ones the are not.

They can show up day or night and don't need to be in complete darkness to be seen.

Generally I don't think they are good news. I think they tend to be attracted to negative things.

Iv'e had personal experiences with the shadow people for years and I know how terrifying the big ones can seem. It's almost as if they are transmitting some sort of energy that causes fear in people. Ive read up on them alot trying to understand exactly what they are. I think the best thoery I have found so far is that the are bieng from another dimension or brane. i believe they are people just like us, who when passed with out a body to experience sensations were forced to view themselves as we truly are. Without this reality clogging up everything.

Ive read that thier frequency vibrates the same with the oart of our brains that cause fear. So I like to tell myself when I see them I'm not really afraid. And they wont hurt me. Infact it's just like me, just withouth the whole body thing. :P

My personal experiences show them never to be mean or threatening, merley observers, and watchers. I have one that follows me everywhere. He's my little buddy. I'm no longer afriad of him, and in fatc like to see who can stare at the other the longest. lol Goodlyck with your journey with them in your life. I'm sure you'll be okay. :)

Hey, Puff, thanks for sharing your experiences. The shadow people/shadow person phenomena intrigues me. I have three questions.

1.) Has anyone besides yourself seen these entities in your home?

2.) Does there seem to be any type of pattern as to when they show up? A certain time of day?

3.) Have you done any sort of research into the history of the property of your home and/or the general area in which you live? I realize this is a totally stereotypical question, but hey, couldn't hurt, could it? :)

Forgive me if you've answered these questions previously, I have a tendency to skip around when I read.

The fact that there seem to be different "types" is what intrigues me the most. I've heard people theorize that these beings are a type of "fairy people". With your description of the different sizes and color, it would make sense, given that there are supposedly many races of fairies. It would also explain the fighting between them. The fact that you say some of them express curiosity about you, while others seem to ignore you compeltely, also fits well with the fairy theory.

Also, welcome to UM!

Sorry guys, i tried the experiment but nothing happened, i left a note pad out and a pen and some cigs and a lighter. And not surprisingly nothing happened. After that I was working alot so forgive me ill try to respond in order to your posts.

1.) Yes my wife sees them occasionally

2.) No pattern, day or night. But it seems to happen mostly when im in a room alone, or by myself. It happens not to frequently, like about once or twice a week, and always when you least expect it, like on your way to the bathroom or kitchen.

3.) My townhouse was built in the 70's, nothing really paranormal concerning it that i know of. Although the old lady that lived in it before me kept a bed in the basement which her son found really creepy. she was quite senile but that is creepy.

Although im not sure what they are or if they are even real, I can definitely confirm there are differant kinds.

Used to know a guy who was a meth head who saw shadow people. Usually after being awake for about 4 days...he talked about moving the fridge so we could see them but we told him nah...they'll just run behind the stove. He finally got clean and voila' no more shadow people.

Just sayin'.... :blink:

Wow dude, I appreciate the post but I think if i smoked meth i wouldnt own a house or a computer for that matter... just saying.

• Like 1

I have seen a shadow person during the day, face on (in my line of sight). It was absolute shock. Like some members here that have described them, I can tell which ones are most likely accurate vs ones the are not.

They can show up day or night and don't need to be in complete darkness to be seen.

Generally I don't think they are good news. I think they tend to be attracted to negative things.

I can't really speak of their intentions. But I will pay more attention to whats going on in my life next time they pop up.

Iv'e had personal experiences with the shadow people for years and I know how terrifying the big ones can seem. It's almost as if they are transmitting some sort of energy that causes fear in people. Ive read up on them alot trying to understand exactly what they are. I think the best thoery I have found so far is that the are bieng from another dimension or brane. i believe they are people just like us, who when passed with out a body to experience sensations were forced to view themselves as we truly are. Without this reality clogging up everything.

Ive read that thier frequency vibrates the same with the oart of our brains that cause fear. So I like to tell myself when I see them I'm not really afraid. And they wont hurt me. Infact it's just like me, just withouth the whole body thing. :P

My personal experiences show them never to be mean or threatening, merley observers, and watchers. I have one that follows me everywhere. He's my little buddy. I'm no longer afriad of him, and in fatc like to see who can stare at the other the longest. lol Goodlyck with your journey with them in your life. I'm sure you'll be okay. :)

Thanx for sharing, Yea I agree that the ones I see seem to be more concerned with looking for something, or curious. I speculate the reason they are so curious is either

A) We are so strange to them, anything we do is wildly entertaining. (even watching t.v.)

B) They see us as one would see a flower. Its nice to look at once in awhile.

C) They are looking for something and think you may be able to help them.

Not really sure just speculation.

Hey all, first time poster here but long time reader,

Gonna go out on a wild limb here but does anyone think there could be a possible connection between shadow people/persons and astral projection? Not sure if its ever been talked about before or not, to go even farther out, how about the possibility that what they are searching for is a way back to themselves such as a person is a coma?

Just felt the urge to throw my 2 cents out there

• 2 months later...

I think a lot of our problems with Shadows stem from where/when we evolved from.....we naturally fear the dark just in case a predator could be lay in wait.People forget that we humans were a food source for other animals...if we now go into a dark room/place which we are scared of,we instantly look for an exit....its human nature.....thats why (imo) during sleep paralysis we see shadows....btw..im probably wrong....:wacko:

I realize I'm late to this conversation. I saw a documentary that talked about people's nature affinity to being afraid of the dark and you're absolutely right on with the predators attack in the dark theory according to the professor that did research on the fear of the dark and why. Because our "ancestors" /cavemen ect had to live in caves or later on built other means of shelter..anyways, the fear of being attacked in the dark because of nocturnal animals and what not that find their meals at night and in the dark (obviously lol) then from there all of the media and passed down stories of things that go "bump" in the night.

I'm not skeptical at all about the shadow people topic however. I have had my own heart stopping experience with this issue a couple of times on my own growing up. I hope I don't have to go there again!