Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO in Chile - BAVE's Rodrigo Bravo Garrido

karl 12

Rodrigo Bravo Garrido, Captain and Pilot for the BAVE (Aviation Brigade of the Chilean Army) explains how many UFO reports on file are from military pilots describing objects that do not correspond to normal air traffic and 'pose a potential threat to air safety' - he also describes an incident from Tepual Airport in 1988 where a Boeing 737 had a near collision with a 'large white light surrounded by green and red' which was coming directly at the aircraft from the opposite direction, the object was also witnessed by the ground control tower personnel and only a steep turn from the pilot avoided mid-air impact.

Rodrigo Bravo GARRIDO, Captain and Pilot for the Aviation Army of Chile. In 2000, he was assigned to conduct an internal study titled "Introduction to Anomalous Aerial Phenomenon and their considerations for aerospace security" involving previous case reports military planes encounters with UAP. For the last several years he has continued this research on recent and current cases affecting aviation safety in cooperation with the Committee for the Study of Anomalous Aerial Phenomena (CEFAA), a branch of the General Administration of Civil Aeronautics, Chile's FAA.

In 2000, the Aviation branch of the Army of Chile assigned me to research anomalous aerial phenomena, which they knew were real, and their affect on aerospace security. I then graduated to become a military pilot, and learned that the Aviation Amy had in its files many reports of UFO incidents from military pilots.

A link was then established between our Army office and the CEFAA, and as a result, nine official cases have been documented. This has helped to create awareness among the flight crews about UFOs, and they now cooperate with flight security to report any abnormal situation.

One of our most important civil aviation cases occurred in 1988, showing that unidentified flying objects can be a danger for air operations. A Boeing 737 pilot, on a final approach to the runway at “The Tepual” Airport in Puerto Montt City, suddenly encountered a large white light surrounded by green and red. The light was moving in the opposite direction of the airplane, coming straight at it. The pilot had to make a steep turn to the left in order to avoid a collision. The phenomenon was observed by the control tower personnel.

Pilot Transcript:

THE PUERTO MONTT NEAR COLLISION CASE

sc4f325cf3.jpg

One of the Chilean cases discussed in Capt. Bravo’s book is a near-collision case between an airliner and a UFO in 1988 near the El Tepual airport in Puerto Montt, a city in southern Chile. This is an AE-IV according to Bravo’s new classification. The case was actually revealed many years ago in Información Aeronáutica, the official magazine of Chile’s General Administration of Civil Aeronautics (DGAC, the equivalent of our FAA). The report and transcript of the radio communications between the pilot and the control tower was written by Air Traffic Controller Gustavo Rodríguez Navarro, who later became Secretary of CEFAA, the Chilean government’s Committee for the Study of Anomalous Aerial Phenomena, which is under the DGAC. The incident in question occurred on June 1, 1988 as Chilean Air Lines (LAN) Boeing 737 flight 045 (La045) was approaching the El Tepual airport. Here is an excerpt of the radio transcript around midnight between La045 and ACC (Area Control Center):

La045: Puerto Montt Center, can you tell me if you have some traffic in front of you?

ACC [Area Control Center]: Confirm what?

La045: Just in front… I have an airplane just in front!

ACC: No, negative.

La045: Listen, I have an airplane, I have a light here in front, right on our flight path.

The controller looked out the window and saw indeed “a white light coming to the airport from the north.” He followed the light’s path for about 5 minutes and at one point was able to see the object closer: “This object came to about 1500 meters from my position, always to the north and that was the nearest I saw it… I could observe some flashes of light coming from the lower part, which lighted the lower part or base of the object; I had the impression that this lower part was flat and with a metallic aspect; I estimate that it was circular and with a diameter of about 60 meters.”

Meanwhile, the communication between La045 and ACC was becoming frantic. The pilot mentioned four times the words, “I had a near collision,” and the supervising controller at the Tower also saw the object with binoculars. Another sample from the transcript:

La045: Do you still have the traffic in sight, or not?

ACC: I am losing it and according to the… the radar is not detecting the traffic.

La045: At the moment, I don’t… also… we don’t see it, but it was on a collision path with us.

ACC: I am seeing it again.

La045: There, I can see it again, to the right, to the right, I am seeing it!

Flight 045 landed in Puerto Montt without further disturbances. The pilot’s language on the tape was uninhibited, excited and with Chilean slang, like that of someone who has just lived an intense experience. The fact that the UFO was simultaneously observed by the crew and from the ground leaves little doubt that this was a real object.

Links:

http://ufo-tv.com/tag/chilean

http://www.rense.com/general40/conress.htm

NARCAP sign official research agreement with CEFAA:

http://www.narcap.org/CEFAA_NARCAP.html

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karl 12

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and I have to say that was an interesting near miss Karl!.

Once again ...Great work my friend. :tu:

I became aware of C.E.F.F.A. a few weeks ago when I posted a link about General Bermúdez' upcoming appearance at the 2012 International UFO Congress this February in Fountain Hills, Arizona, over at AU.

And was pretty impressed with the serious and professional manner in which they appear to operate!

http://www.openminds.tv/chilean-ufo-video/

Cheers buddy.

• 2 months later...

I became aware of C.E.F.F.A. a few weeks ago when I posted a link about General Bermúdez' upcoming appearance at the 2012 International UFO Congress this February in Fountain Hills, Arizona, over at AU.

And was pretty impressed with the serious and professional manner in which they appear to operate!

http://www.openminds.tv/chilean-ufo-video/

Cheers buddy.

1963, thanks for the reply my friend and you're certainly right about just how seriously Chile's Civil Aviation Agency takes the UFO subject, there's a presentation by General Ricardo Bermúdez here and it looks like he's becoming quite an important and instrumental chap when it comes to the organisation and credibility of official South American UFO research -as well as the Chilean Civil Aviation Department's official UFO research agreement with NARCAP, it's also been recently reported that they've signed one with the Uruguayan Air Force as well:

http://ufoupdateslist.com/2012/apr/m04-012.shtml

Cheers!

Some great research from NARCAP and more info on the LAN Flight 045 incident and other UFO cases:

English subtitles - pilot transmisions..

LAN Flight 045, Puerto Montt, Chile, June, 1988:

Punta Arenas, 3rd March 2011:

More