Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Moses enter the land of promise

KrowMax

Did God Permitted Moses to enter the land which he promise to be given to the ancestor of Jacob..Cause base in what i have read god have not permitted Moses to enter the land of promise.Moses died in the mountain with the sight of the whole land which god promise to his people.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KrowMax

• HerNibs

• Paranoid Android

• Dying Seraph

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Moses didn't give God the glory for parting the Red-Sea he was told he would never see the promised land. (From what I can remember!)

That's about right. Moses turned away from God (not because of the Red Sea parting but because of his anger at no water when he struck the rock of which name I cannot quite recall). He was thus told he would not enter the Promised Land. Only two people from the original Exodus made it to the Promised Land. Joshua was one of them. I don't have my Bible with me, but memory tells me Caleb was the other. Joshua and Caleb (if it was Caleb) were the only two not to engage in idol worship at Sinai and not to give up hope during the wandering, so they were allowed to enter the Promised Land.

I can't really say much else without going back to the Bible itself, but I can answer the thread question and state that as far as I am aware Moses did die before Israel entered the Promised Land. Hope the answer is of help :tu:

~ PA

Moses never entered the so-called Promised Land. But...

Here's a very interesting contradictions. One part of the OT say Hebrews roamed around the Sinai desert for 40 years. Other part says that Hebrew stayed in Kadesh Barnea for 38 years after roaming for a couple of years.

Moses never entered the so-called Promised Land. But...

Here's a very interesting contradictions. One part of the OT say Hebrews roamed around the Sinai desert for 40 years. Other part says that Hebrew stayed in Kadesh Barnea for 38 years after roaming for a couple of years.

In response to the OP, NO Moses never set foot into the promised land.

Ron I thought it would be of interest to note, that all pre-Biblical sacred documents in Hebrew have been either lost or suppressed. The Book of Wars of Yahweh and the Book of Yashar, were said to pertain to the epic accounts of the Israelites' dessert wanderings, and their subsequent invasion of Canaan.

We only get brief fragments of these works in the Bible in passages contained in the book Numbers; Joshua, and 2 Samuel.

There are others but "The Book of Wars of Yahweh" and the "Book of Yashar" appear to be in accord or to pertain to their dessert wanderings.

SINcerely,

:devil:

Edited by Dying Seraph

That's about right. Moses turned away from God (not because of the Red Sea parting but because of his anger at no water when he struck the rock of which name I cannot quite recall). He was thus told he would not enter the Promised Land. Only two people from the original Exodus made it to the Promised Land. Joshua was one of them. I don't have my Bible with me, but memory tells me Caleb was the other. Joshua and Caleb (if it was Caleb) were the only two not to engage in idol worship at Sinai and not to give up hope during the wandering, so they were allowed to enter the Promised Land.

I can't really say much else without going back to the Bible itself, but I can answer the thread question and state that as far as I am aware Moses did die before Israel entered the Promised Land. Hope the answer is of help :tu:

~ PA

It was Joshua and Caleb. They also were the only ones to come back with a good report about entering the land. The other 10 said it was impossible because of giants in the land. I have heard that Moses was denied because he struck the rock twice instead of speaking to it as commanded. One commentary says that since Jesus is symbolized as the rock, it was like crucifying him twice...there are many different commentaries.

Yes your right but something is wrong..I'll first read my bible before i comment what is that wrong.Ahm..Joshua is the successor of Moses..And if i am not wrong Caleb succeeded Aaron as Priest..:)

It was Joshua and Caleb. They also were the only ones to come back with a good report about entering the land. The other 10 said it was impossible because of giants in the land. I have heard that Moses was denied because he struck the rock twice instead of speaking to it as commanded. One commentary says that since Jesus is symbolized as the rock, it was like crucifying him twice...there are many different commentaries.

Yep, these wizards and their wands. If only they knew how to use them properly.

I have seen the mess some of them make when playing with their wands in the Harry Potter films. :innocent:

Yep, these wizards and their wands. If only they knew how to use them properly.

I have seen the mess some of them make when playing with their wands in the Harry Potter films. :innocent:

I have also witnessed them go on an adventure with a trio of midgets.

Would it be possible that Moses didn't recieve access to the "Promised Land" because he was an un-repentant killer? He killed an Egyptian (whether you consider his action/s justifiable or not), and was seen doing so. Rather then face the possibility of facing the Pharaoh (and possibly death) he fled didn't he?

SINcerely,

:devil:

Edited by Dying Seraph

Did Moses exist?

AND there is the big question. :) Can't offer any answer unless we can provide evidence of Moses and evidence of an exodus of Jews from Egypt.

Nibs

AND there is the big question. :) Can't offer any answer unless we can provide evidence of Moses and evidence of an exodus of Jews from Egypt.

Nibs

Actually, from a literary standpoint I would argue that it doesn't actually matter whether he did exist or not. The original question was asked based on the assumption that Moses did exist. Therefore what does the text say about Moses? In a wider historical discussion, the existence of Moses might be of importance. But as I read the question, it may as just have easily said "did Harry Potter fight Voldemort in the graveyard". The literary answer is yes, and this is the textual evidence where he fought in a graveyard. But that doesn't mean that Harry Potter or Voldemort ever really existed. It's just literacy.

At worst, the answer to the OP could be framed with the caveat "Assuming Moses existed and the account of the Bible is accurate then the answer that presents itself is..... *answers thread question*". This answers the literary part of the question while throwing into doubt the historical accuracy of the text. Simply leaping straight to "did he exist" is the easy way out, it avoids anyone actually needing to think about why the text was written to portray Moses being denied the Promised Land. It avoids any real engagement with the text and falls back on the easy "sceptic" position of "prove it happened first". Would you agree?

~ PA

Edited by Paranoid Android

Nibs

I agree... I peg him as a fictional character, like any other character of the many bible tales.. If you look at this topic, asking did he enter the promise land.?. Well we cannot go on facts, there are none...It...So I guess from reading this, people here are discussing a fictional tale and a fictional character from the tale.. Granted not everyone will look at it as fiction...some will some wont.. My blind faith has its limits lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Ahm..This the story.Moses and Aaron was not permitted to enter the promise land cause they disobeyed gods command at Mersheba.That the place if i am not mistaken.Aaron the High Priest died in the mountain as god said he would.Moses took Aaron Priestly Robe and put it to Aaron son Eleazar.Moses died in Mount Peshgah.But he was able to see the whole land that is promise to be given to the ancestor of Jacob.But he did not enter it.Moses was buried in the Plains of Moab and the people of Israel mourn for him in 30days.Joshua son Nun succeeded him as the leader of the people of god.Nice.

Actually, from a literary standpoint I would argue that it doesn't actually matter whether he did exist or not. The original question was asked based on the assumption that Moses did exist. Therefore what does the text say about Moses? In a wider historical discussion, the existence of Moses might be of importance. But as I read the question, it may as just have easily said "did Harry Potter fight Voldemort in the graveyard". The literary answer is yes, and this is the textual evidence where he fought in a graveyard. But that doesn't mean that Harry Potter or Voldemort ever really existed. It's just literacy.

Agreed.

At worst, the answer to the OP could be framed with the caveat "Assuming Moses existed and the account of the Bible is accurate then the answer that presents itself is..... *answers thread question*". This answers the literary part of the question while throwing into doubt the historical accuracy of the text. Simply leaping straight to "did he exist" is the easy way out, it avoids anyone actually needing to think about why the text was written to portray Moses being denied the Promised Land. It avoids any real engagement with the text and falls back on the easy "sceptic" position of "prove it happened first". Would you agree?

~ PA

Agree kinda-sorta. :) Looking at the forum it was posted and the other posts of the OP, I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that he was discussing the incident as a real happening. :)

As to Moses entering the promised land - Numbers 20:12 -

12And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.

Never let it be said I take the easy way out. :P I just don't see much of a discussion. God answered the issue hisownself.

:D

Nibs

Whoops - missed some. :)

Here is where the death of Moses is described.

Deuteronomy 34

1And Moses went up from the plains of Moab unto the mountain of Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, that is over against Jericho. And the LORD shewed him all the land of Gilead, unto Dan,

2And all Naphtali, and the land of Ephraim, and Manasseh, and all the land of Judah, unto the utmost sea,

3And the south, and the plain of the valley of Jericho, the city of palm trees, unto Zoar.

4And the LORD said unto him, This is the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, saying, I will give it unto thy seed: I have caused thee to see it with thine eyes, but thou shalt not go over thither.

5So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD.

6And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day.

7And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.

8And the children of Israel wept for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days: so the days of weeping and mourning for Moses were ended.

9And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom; for Moses had laid his hands upon him: and the children of Israel hearkened unto him, and did as the LORD commanded Moses.

10And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,

11In all the signs and the wonders, which the LORD sent him to do in the land of Egypt to Pharaoh, and to all his servants, and to all his land,

12And in all that mighty hand, and in all the great terror which Moses shewed in the sight of all Israel.

Nibs