Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Much Would it Cost

psyche101

Building a massive space weapon is all very well, but you have to find the materials to build it with. It's easy to say that "sure, the Death Star would be expensive" but is there actually enough iron in the Earth to make the first Death Star? Centives decided to find out.

We began by looking at how big the Death Star is. The first one is reported to be 140km in diameter and it sure looks like it's made of steel. But how much steel? We decided to model the Death Star as having a similar density in steel as a modern warship. After all, they're both essentially floating weapons platforms so that seems reasonable.

But, before you go off to start building your apocalyptic weapon, do bear in mind two things. Firstly, the two billion death stars is mostly from the Earth's core which we would all really rather you didn't remove. And secondly, at today's rate of steel production (1.3 billion tonnes annually), it would take 833,315 years to produce enough steel to begin work. So once someone notices what you're up to, you have to fend them off for 800 millennia before you have a chance to fight back. In context, it takes under an hour to get the steel for HMS Illustrious.

Oh, and the cost of the steel alone? At 2012 prices, about $852,000,000,000,000,000. Or roughly 13,000 times the world's GDP.*

But then again, you can just take out a loan from the entire planet and then default on them in the most awesome way possible.

LINK

021512_0646_HowMuchWoul4.png

Anyone keen to chuck in?

Edited by psyche101

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• tipotep

• A rather obscure Bassoon

• Kryso

It depends. Do you want the defective version with the exhaust port that is uncovered and can cause a chain reaction destroying the entire star if someone so much as drops a Tic-Tac down the wrong port?

I think before you get to that part you at least budget for some particle board and some nails to cover that bad boy up, otherwise you are looking at a potential poo-storm from legal if anyone/everyone gets hurt with that flaw in place.

Just an FYI.

And secondly, at today's rate of steel production (1.3 billion tonnes annually), it would take 833,315 years to produce enough steel to begin work. So once someone notices what you're up to, you have to fend them off for 800 millennia before you have a chance to fight back. In context, it takes under an hour to get the steel for HMS Illustrious.

Oh, and the cost of the steel alone? At 2012 prices, about $852,000,000,000,000,000. Or roughly 13,000 times the world's GDP.*

But then again, you can just take out a loan from the entire planet and then default on them in the most awesome way possible.

Not too hard considering the Emperor controlled the greater majority of the planets of the galaxy. Estimated Empirial planets was in the millions, some of which were Forge worlds that were covered completely in industry.

with only 69 million systems meeting the requirements for Imperial representation, and 1.75 million planets considered full member worlds. In total, the galaxy was populated by approximately 100 quadrillion different life forms.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_galaxy

With taxes (extortion/bribes/tribute) from Quadrillions of sentients, I'm sure that the costs were trivial.

It's good to be the King... err... Emperor.

Edited by DieChecker

It depends. Do you want the defective version with the exhaust port that is uncovered and can cause a chain reaction destroying the entire star if someone so much as drops a Tic-Tac down the wrong port?

I think before you get to that part you at least budget for some particle board and some nails to cover that bad boy up, otherwise you are looking at a potential poo-storm from legal if anyone/everyone gets hurt with that flaw in place.

Just an FYI.

LOL, I hope we are learning from past experiences! I am sure the Empire has a ruthless legal team though!

Not too hard considering the Emperor controlled the greater majority of the planets of the galaxy. Estimated Empirial planets was in the millions, some of which were Forge worlds that were covered completely in industry.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_galaxy

With taxes (extortion/bribes/tribute) from Quadrillions of sentients, I'm sure that the costs were trivial.

It's good to be the King... err... Emperor.

Imagine the freight costs though! Perhaps we need to get out there and conquer a few planets so we can make a death star :devil:

I have heard the Greeks like to avoid tax. make it tax exempt and they would pay for it ;)

I think it would be cheaper and easier to retro-fit the moon with a few bits of angle iron, some laser pointers and some of bottle rockets , the tides might be a bit off while we are out of orbit but all in all it seems a solid idea :w00t:

TiP.

And that is why it bankrupted several star-systems to make it :)

Edited by Kryso

It would be cheaper to have it made in China but would there be issues with lead in the paint..

I think it would be cheaper and easier to retro-fit the moon with a few bits of angle iron, some laser pointers and some of bottle rockets , the tides might be a bit off while we are out of orbit but all in all it seems a solid idea :w00t:

TiP.

But how are we going to fly the moon around the Universe blowing up planets? The Earth is relying on the moon to keep it stable ATM. No point in a Death Star if is does not kill anyone!

Unless we blow earth up, and go looking for a new one?

It would be cheaper to have it made in China but would there be issues with lead in the paint..

Now that is a good idea, I wonder what the total cost will come down to if we put this out to tender?

I have heard the Greeks like to avoid tax. make it tax exempt and they would pay for it ;)

Another good angle, All Churches are tax free, and Scientology bribed the FBI into giving them Church status, surely they would like this for Xenu?

But how are we going to fly the moon around the Universe blowing up planets? The Earth is relying on the moon to keep it stable ATM. No point in a Death Star if is does not kill anyone!

Unless we blow earth up, and go looking for a new one?

You didn't catch the bit about the bottle rockets ? Thats our power baby :w00t:

I did say that we might have a few tidal issues but I have had a new though , we can attach a cable to the earth and drag it around like our biarch :tu:

TiP.

well it does have to be solid iron. We make an iron alloy using some cheaper material mixed in. This should bring down costs abit.

You didn't catch the bit about the bottle rockets ? Thats our power baby :w00t:

I did say that we might have a few tidal issues but I have had a new though , we can attach a cable to the earth and drag it around like our biarch :tu:

TiP.

Ohh yeah, onto the bottle rockets, I was worried the surf would go flat. It seems you have that covered, so I am back on board. Time to put this out to tender now, see who stuffs the quote up, and get the lowest price :w00t:

3769822-an-earth-person-rises-up-lifted-into-the-sky-by-a-globe-balloon-on-a-string.jpg

well it does have to be solid iron. We make an iron alloy using some cheaper material mixed in. This should bring down costs abit.

Just not on the outer hull, going by Fluffybunny's earlier comment, we don't want any weak points like the exhaust ports that someone could drop a tic tac into! Or we will be defaulting on insurance in the most awesomely way possible!

Edited by psyche101

Ohh yeah, onto the bottle rockets, I was worried the surf would go flat. It seems you have that covered, so I am back on board. Time to put this out to tender now, see who stuffs the quote up, and get the lowest price :w00t:

3769822-an-earth-person-rises-up-lifted-into-the-sky-by-a-globe-balloon-on-a-string.jpg

Apparently the Iranians are interested they want to park it right over the west....

heheheheh this is interesting first to build the death star it would take millions of tons of steel and that would make the earth go down in size too I mean the grounds :D