Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can Mediums Really Talk to the Dead?

Still Waters

Editor’s Note: In the following dialogue, excerpted and edited from the Institute of Noetic Sciences’ teleseminar series, “Exploring the Noetic Sciences,” IONS Senior Scientist Dean Radin talks with Doctor Julie Beischel, one of the world’s foremost researchers into the phenomenon of mediumship.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• 3 months later...

Yes, mediums talk to the dead, but the 'dead' are very much alive!

It's nothing 'spooky' or 'evil', and I'm sure it will all be explained one day, when science catches up with the reality.

I sat in a development circle at a spiritualist church in 2001, where I experienced my first mediumship. I can only describe it as someone dropping information into my head. I relayed it to the person I thought it was meant for, and they were stunned by it. Experienced mediums do this day-in-day-out at spiritualist churches all around the world, and they would be found out very quickly if they were fake or not up to the job.

No.

Nothing of any statistical significance has ever been reproduced under acceptable scientific conditions. Ever. Not one time.

• Like 1

I would love to believe mediumship was real. Sadly, I seriously dout that it is. (Would pay oodles of money to talk to my dad) If mediumship was a true gift, then one of the many people that have the gift would have taken and smashed the Randi challenge by now. I mean, by a "true" medium's standards, the parameters of the Randi challenge would be child's play.

But alas, no one has even come close to completing it or any similar exercise. I would love to be proven wrong, but at this time, I feel confident people cannot talk to the dead.

I don't know what the answer is. I know that there is a phenomenon that would seem to suggest that some living people DO somehow connect with the something: intelligence, personality, "Akashic" record, of one who is dead.

I have had dead people talking to me since I was little, and no, I do not suffer from any serious mental illness. I have checked, wouldn't you?

I even played around with doing that professionally for a while. I have found that you really can't help anyone by giving them information from the dead, unless it is where to find grandpa's real will. But if you can validate information from the dead with the living it does give the living something to think about. It can open a closed mind.

I once had a very profound and frightening experience while doing this. There was a spirit who wanted very badly to speak to her neice. She assaulted me in a non physical kind of way, sort of rushed at me. Her name was Tildy. I kept this incident secret. I did not tell anyone about it. Then months later I was at a gathering at a Spiritualist camp and happened to meet a gentleman, a guest speaker. I listened to his schtick and found myself more often than not ready to laugh at some of the absurd things he said. Later in the day, I had the opportunity to talk to him and asked him what should I do if I was ever rushed by a spirit again. "Well," he says to me, "you must tell Aunt Tildy to wait her damn turn and mind her manners. I fell off my chair.

Its anecdotal, I know. But most all great discoveries started that way, until science caught up.

I don't believe you. Sorry, but you are making things up. Probably to yourself as well.

• Like 1

I think most are fakes and take advantage of your desires. After my own personal experience with one though, I absolutely believe there are those who have very real psychic gifts. I wasn't charged any money and was validated with very specific names and events that couldn't have been achieved through any amount of "cold reading".

I think that ultimately, you can never "know for sure", in spiritual matters, mostly it comes down to faith.

• 3 weeks later...

mediumship is real. we never die and those who are intuned can see and hear souls and spirits..

All The Glory Belongs To God Forever!

Who cares if Mediums can talk to the dead or not?

I personally talk to the dead. And on a rare, rare occasion, I will hear one of them talk back. But it has only happened twice, when I have heard her voice. My sister. Talking just like she would had she been in the room. We all can talk to the dead.

65% of Americans admit to having auditory hallucinations, I read in a psychology magazine once. IF they are really hallucinations and not real in some manner or other.

Good Gods, this site is loading slow!!! I have to type and then walk away from the computer to wait for it to reflect my typing.

If a message comes through and it can be verified that its true.. then that is very important and helpful.

All The Glory Belongs To God Forever!

I think some people have this gift.I think many are fake.

I think some with the gift,abuse it as well.

I have a story .

I actually think hes terrible at predictions,but I absolutely think he can speak to the dead.

I met John Edwards many years before he became famous.

He was at a party I went to and he said I had loved ones around me.

He said,Louise was here for you,and Frank,but there's 2 Franks.

He said ,one Frank wants me to tell you,his real name isn't Frank,and not to confuse him with the other Frank .He said ,he says hes Frances.

Then he told me Louise was asking for Carmella.

OK.These are not common names.Especially Carmella and Frances.

I never met this guy before,and only close family members would know any of this.

My mothers name was Millie,and no one knew her real name was Carmella,except close family.No one had called her Carmella in 50 years.

Then my Aunt Louise ,was married to my uncle Frank,but my dad was called Frank.

However,his real name was Frances,and no one had called him that since he was a little boy.

So my aunt and uncle said hi to me,and so did my dad,and aunt Louise asked where my mom was,using a name for her,that no one could have known,but me.

He def has something .

I know people who can "see dead people" as well. One of my friends told me a story about a WTC fatality ,asking if he could attach himself to her,so he could fly back to England.

In most witches belief systems,spirits cannot cross over water .

She also isn't someone who makes this stuff up . She was going to the UK with her daughter,and she said she got into a cab in Manhatten,to go to JFK,and she said the guy was in the cab.He told her,if he could sort of latch into her,and get on the plane with her,he could finally fly home.Her daughter was prob only about 5 at the time,and she told him; you can,but do not let my daughter see you .

Her daughter is also gifted,and she doesn't understand it yet,so she didn't want her frightened.

He told her how he had died in the WTC,and he just wanted to go home .I want to say he knew she was flying to the UK,and he followed her into the cab.

She told me this so long ago,I don't remember all the details,but she's never done readings for money ,and she just told me in passing conversation.

She didn't have this happen often either,but some people,yes,I think they can talk to the dead.

Edited by missymoo999

Personally, I don't believe mediums to be any more real or accurate than reading tea leaves or tarot cards. Some may really feel like they are real, and probably really believe that they are, but no. Many are just fame seekers and hoaxers. To my knowledge there has never been any real evidence to support any real psychic or medium existing. If there has then I will stand corrected, but I don't believe so.

Mike

Yes, mediums talk to the dead, but the 'dead' are very much alive!

It's nothing 'spooky' or 'evil', and I'm sure it will all be explained one day, when science catches up with the reality.

I sat in a development circle at a spiritualist church in 2001, where I experienced my first mediumship. I can only describe it as someone dropping information into my head. I relayed it to the person I thought it was meant for, and they were stunned by it. Experienced mediums do this day-in-day-out at spiritualist churches all around the world, and they would be found out very quickly if they were fake or not up to the job.

That's a great description, "someone dropping information into my head." It comes out of no where, initially, the problem for me was learning to trust it. It may be that this kind of experience happens frequently, but the information is either ignored or discounted by the person receiving it. I believe almost everyone has the ability to do this, and encourage and often challenge people to trust themselves enough to have and validate their own experiences.

• Like 1

Here is the same medium sharing a message about a great love for dick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uD0dPhr9cQ

Hard to say if I believe in the whole ordeal, I would actually have to witness it first hand about someone I actually known that passed away.

Didn't get to watch the whole video, but his interest in dick is something I'm sure we didn't need to share. Sorry I couldn't resist :P

Actually, my mother is a medium...

at least that's what it says on her knickers :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Edited by bouncer

Here is the same medium sharing a message about a great love for dick.

hahaha..looks like hes experiencing it too !! :tu:

Edited by bouncer

• 2 weeks later...

No.

Nothing of any statistical significance has ever been reproduced under acceptable scientific conditions. Ever. Not one time.

I agree mediums do not talk to the dead. Some are charlatans, some talk to demons, but none to dead humans.

Your point about a lack of statistical evidence can either be interpreted as evidence of absence, or it has an alternative interpretation which fits the evidence we do see better.

It is a known fact among statisticians that a statistical inference, which is what you are trying to make, is of no value if the sample is not done properly. When free willed agents are sampled, for example when people are required to participate, experimenters are required to perform blind experiments in order to fool the participants. Otherwise bias can seep into the sample.

In the case of the supernatural, if the free willed agents are demonic and are intentionally trying to deceive those performing the experiment, then the result could be what we see today.

1) No repeatable falsifiable evidence

2) Large amounts of testimonial evidence, with a high degree of similarity

Mediums are pawns being played as fools by demonic spirits.

Edited by OrdinaryClay

Medium-ship is real,I hear them, (rather they talk or just drop thoughts) and see them, full bodied or just little speckles of vibrant light. You'd be surprised of how much they influence everything around you and some cases within you.

But you don't have to take my word, meditate see and hear for yourself, Just know meditation takes dedication, many hours of just practicing self discipline. I heard my first spirits pretty much within the first week of meditating everyday. They were children a lot of them, terrifying but you get used to it. But this type of clairaudience isn't just for spirits, but the living too. I've heard people I know are very much alive talking, living miles away from me, and when I'd ask them if they said what I heard them say, they validate. Very strange, For a while I thought my mind fathomed these things but so many times I'll ask the person, whom I had heard talking, and they made me believe these things are real. I've even heard conversations word for word weeks before I witness them happen here physically. Meditation is what unlocked this potential. It resides in all of us, like a relationship with a human being; if you nurture it, it will grow.

but if validation is the only thing you are looking for you wouldn't know it if you did get it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There are some well documented cases of mediums. Look up Helen Duncan. She was a English medium who spent must of her day in jail during the 2nd WW for her gift. She was sent to jail on a 1735 witch charge. Interesting to say the least. http://en.wikipedia....ki/Helen_Duncan

Here's another one. http://www.answers.com/topic/carmine-carlos-mirabelli

Edited by TheEVPman

You must first ask is telepathy a real process that takes place with some individuals.

Can the thought patterns of one mind directly interact with the thought patterns of another mind.

If you become satisfied that the answer is yes from your own research, then you must ask yourself are those who claim to communicate with the minds of the dead communicating with those individuals or with the minds of those who knew and are familiar with the deceased, including tapping information within their subconscious that they themselves are not consciously aware that they have.

You can see how very tricky ascertaining the actual source of information would be even with a confirmed belief both in telepathy and in an afterlife.

The odds that you would get the type of interaction or information that you might desire are not very good.

Edited by Bella-Angelique

• 3 weeks later...

I think some people have this gift.I think many are fake.

I think some with the gift,abuse it as well.

I have a story .

I actually think hes terrible at predictions,but I absolutely think he can speak to the dead.

I met John Edwards many years before he became famous.

He was at a party I went to and he said I had loved ones around me.

He said,Louise was here for you,and Frank,but there's 2 Franks.

He said ,one Frank wants me to tell you,his real name isn't Frank,and not to confuse him with the other Frank .He said ,he says hes Frances.

Then he told me Louise was asking for Carmella.

OK.These are not common names.Especially Carmella and Frances.

I never met this guy before,and only close family members would know any of this.

My mothers name was Millie,and no one knew her real name was Carmella,except close family.No one had called her Carmella in 50 years.

Then my Aunt Louise ,was married to my uncle Frank,but my dad was called Frank.

However,his real name was Frances,and no one had called him that since he was a little boy.

So my aunt and uncle said hi to me,and so did my dad,and aunt Louise asked where my mom was,using a name for her,that no one could have known,but me.

He def has something .

I know people who can "see dead people" as well. One of my friends told me a story about a WTC fatality ,asking if he could attach himself to her,so he could fly back to England.

In most witches belief systems,spirits cannot cross over water .

She also isn't someone who makes this stuff up . She was going to the UK with her daughter,and she said she got into a cab in Manhatten,to go to JFK,and she said the guy was in the cab.He told her,if he could sort of latch into her,and get on the plane with her,he could finally fly home.Her daughter was prob only about 5 at the time,and she told him; you can,but do not let my daughter see you .

Her daughter is also gifted,and she doesn't understand it yet,so she didn't want her frightened.

He told her how he had died in the WTC,and he just wanted to go home .I want to say he knew she was flying to the UK,and he followed her into the cab.

She told me this so long ago,I don't remember all the details,but she's never done readings for money ,and she just told me in passing conversation.

She didn't have this happen often either,but some people,yes,I think they can talk to the dead.

I love your story, it's lacking a lot of very important details at the party (either you done this on purpose or not).

Questions that most people would ask:

1. How many people were at the party?

2. Was it friends and family only?

3. Did he have his "friends" or "co-workers" mingling with your family prior to him doing the cold read? If yes, then how do you know they didn't find out information from them instead?

4. Did he straight out said the names to YOU or gave a list of names, colors, numbers, health issues?

5. Was it even a party?

6. When he was doing a cold read how many people were watching or interacting with him? 1 or 4 people? the entire room?

7. If it's a family event at this party how did they know him. If he knew your family prior it's pretty easy to find out deaths in the family.

8. Did your family know of who John Edwards "talented" for before he did his cold read?

etc.

It's like me saying that I went and saw Johnny Depp. Does that mean I know the famous actor nd close friends with him and that I went tos his house to hang out? Or am I stating I saw him on the red carpet for some award show or movie premire? Does it mean that i accidently ran into him when he was doing his every day things? Myabe he was introduced to me at a party or restraunt. Maybe I know a guy who has the exact same name as the famous movie actor?

"I went and saw Johnny Depp", It's a vague statement that only the imagination fills in the details. The Truth is, I saw him in the in the movie called the tourist.

As for John Edwards my buddy gave me some tickets for when I go to vegas with the wife (I helped him with his kitchen) and I have now can saw that I've sat in a John edwards "live" cold reading twice, both in vegas and at different dates and times . The first ran An hour and 30 minutes of sheer stupidity second was 3 hours!. It's cold reading, I watched him call out names and vague information like numbers, colors etc to get some one to jump up and say yes that is "suchandsuch", which is cold reading.

I didn't boo him or heckled but I loved how the second time he was stuck with a nutter woman that every name he called out she said she had a relative or PET with that name. Some reason he didn't want to give her a reading.

---

Edited by Brian Topp