Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rick Santorum To Puerto Rico:

Mekorig

SAN JUAN, March 14 (Reuters) - Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum told Puerto Ricans on Wednesday they would have to make English their primary language if they want to pursue U.S. statehood, a statement at odds with the U.S. Constitution.

Santorum traveled to the U.S. territory to campaign ahead of the island's Republican primary election scheduled for Sunday, where he, Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich are vying for 20 delegates.

Link

My hands are not big enough for the facepalm i wanted to do :rolleyes:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• and-then

• Gromdor

• Babe Ruth

I don't really get this statehood thing by the Puerto Ricans: It is evident that most of the 50 States don't want them.

Edit: But this statement will sure hurt Luis Fortuño's bit to get reelected in fall, after all he is the Republican Puerto Rican posterboy.

Edited by questionmark

Santorum is an idiotic religious zealot. That he is as successful as he is illustrates just how morally and intellectually bankrupt the US political system is.

I am trying to put this... PG... but I really really really hate that homophobic... bigoted... ignorant... braindead... b@st@rd...

How is it in any way wrong to want them to speak English as a primary language? Are you sure PR even wants to be a state? I thought they preferred their current status.

How is it in any way wrong to want them to speak English as a primary language? Are you sure PR even wants to be a state? I thought they preferred their current status.

The current guv, Luis Fortuño(Rep), has announced that there will be a referendum on the status of the Island, campaigning for statehood, this fall. And he got some funny answers from Washington: If there is a simple majority for independence they would let PR go. If they want statehood they need a super majority (like 75% +). Neither of the two options are realistic besides about 30-40% for statehood there is 20-30% for independence, the rest (so far in 2 times the Reps have tried to change the status in the last 50 years they were the majority) does not want to change anything.

And wanting them to speak English is wrong in as far as many administrations have assured the Puerto Ricans that they can keep their culture, and in their culture you speak Spanish. Besides, it is up to each and every state to decide what its official languages are, not up to the Federal Government.

Because the U.S. has no official language.

Because the U.S. has no official language.

You're right we don't.To the immigrants of the past, Americans spoke english and any history they learned in their home country may have mention the American Revolution and their fight for independence from the British Crown. My great grandparents on my dad 's side were german, but they learned english, and spoke several other languages as well.

Mom's side was hungarian and they learned english too.They took pride in being americans. To many, this country was a land where they could be free, and build a better life for their children.My dad's grandparents came because he was a younger son, and whatever lands or such the family held were more likely to go to the eldest son.It was a place of opportunity for him too.

Leaders of forgein countries come here and they use a translator when they meet the president if they can't speak english,so to me english should be the official language.

English is already America's language, just not officially. Anyone can see that America has always been an English nation, part of the Anglosphere, with English/British origins. Melting pot does not mean a multi-cultural mess with dozens of languages.

Actually, American is the language spoken in America. There are linguistic cues, spellings and word meanings unique to America that differeniate the language beyond simple cultural ideoacyncracies.

Actually, American is the language spoken in America. There are linguistic cues, spellings and word meanings unique to America that differeniate the language beyond simple cultural ideoacyncracies.

The nice differences.... mostly due to the fact that in other English spoken countries there is an insistence about the right usage and spelling. In the USA, once enough people spell a word wrong or it is used out of context the dictionary gets changed.

Last time I was in PR I attended an event at the Governor's mansion and got into a fairly in-depth conversation with some anti-statehood folks.

One of their big reasons for not being a state was that they would lose their Miss Universe/Miss World contestants - I **** you not.

The nice differences.... mostly due to the fact that in other English spoken countries there is an insistence about the right usage and spelling. In the USA, once enough people spell a word wrong or it is used out of context the dictionary gets changed.

Bingo!

Last time I was in PR I attended an event at the Governor's mansion and got into a fairly in-depth conversation with some anti-statehood folks.

One of their big reasons for not being a state was that they would lose their Miss Universe/Miss World contestants - I **** you not.

The biggest reason is that being a state has absolutely no advantage over the present status. And if I were living on my farm there I would be absolutely in the don't rock the boat camp. In Puerto Rico (as US Citizen) you have all the advantages of being a US citizen but not several of the drawbacks (like Federal taxes comes to mind). Statehood is a game of politicians that aim at higher goals, like running for Prezz of the USA (in fact some are in the running for VP as they also have a residence in Florida...not mentioning any names...)

English is already America's language, just not officially. Anyone can see that America has always been an English nation, part of the Anglosphere, with English/British origins. Melting pot does not mean a multi-cultural mess with dozens of languages.

If that is the case, then why are there over 3 million Americans in Puerto Rico that speak Spanish as their primary language?

If that is the case, then why are there over 3 million Americans in Puerto Rico that speak Spanish as their primary language?

Because they are in a Spanish speaking place. PR will not likely become a State of the US because they wouldn't want their culture subjugated in any way AND because they already get the benefits without the hassles of Statehood.

I think Santorum's point is that English should be spoken by US citizens and I agree. No rule says that cannot be bilingual. People in Europe sometimes think Americans are just being snobby by not learning several languages. Where they are you can go a couple hundred miles and NEED to speak a couple or three languages to function. Here we are insulated from that need. And trying to become fluent in a language when you do not have some native speakers to practice with is very time consuming and boring. The point is that US citizens should have English as the official language until such time that a majority vote to say otherwise.

So basically if a bunch of American's choose to do something (In this case speak Spanish primarily), the government should sanction "Taxation, without representation" until they comply with what the government wishes?

Some people should inform themselves, English is not the only language in the US, in fact there is only one "official" language as far as I remember established by law: Hawaiian in Hawaii. And that the majority speak English (or something they pretend it is such) does not make it the "official" language.

So basically if a bunch of American's choose to do something (In this case speak Spanish primarily), the government should sanction "Taxation, without representation" until they comply with what the government wishes?

Of course not. The only sanction required is the difficulties they will bring on themselves trying to do business outside their narrow community. As long as they don't care to interact with the country at large it will have next to no effect on them. America was founded by primarily English speaking peoples. It has a 200 year history of this language being the primary language that immigrants have learned and used to assimilate themselves into our blended culture. I wouldn't give a rat's ass if people speak Klingon as long as I'm not trying to do business with them. It's all about the concept of a blended culture with common traditions. Lose that and the country gets weaker - not good for any of us.

Some people should inform themselves, English is not the only language in the US, in fact there is only one "official" language as far as I remember established by law: Hawaiian in Hawaii. And that the majority speak English (or something they pretend it is such) does not make it the "official" language.

"The point is that US citizens should have English as the official language until such time that a majority vote to say otherwise"

I'm quite aware that we have no official language. I think we should. If current immigration trends continue then that official language will soon be Spanish. What a wonderful accomplishment that will be.

Edited by and then

"The point is that US citizens should have English as the official language until such time that a majority vote to say otherwise"

I'm quite aware that we have no official language. I think we should. If current immigration trends continue then that official language will soon be Spanish. What a wonderful accomplishment that will be.

What is wrong with Spanish? I can speak it....

What is wrong with Spanish? I can speak it....

Not a thing in this world. Fine language. When the reconquistas finish their work all Americans can give it a go. Seriously, I have no problems with any language being spoken here. But I refuse to be dictated to by any minority when it involves dealing with the government or spending my money on personal business. Should every citizen be required to learn Greek, Spanish,German,Italian....there is nothing wrong with the majority deciding on and enforcing a common language for doing government business. I understand that English is the required language for international air traffic controllers. That's just an example. Some conformity just makes sense.

Not a thing in this world. Fine language. When the reconquistas finish their work all Americans can give it a go. Seriously, I have no problems with any language being spoken here. But I refuse to be dictated to by any minority when it involves dealing with the government or spending my money on personal business. Should every citizen be required to learn Greek, Spanish,German,Italian....there is nothing wrong with the majority deciding on and enforcing a common language for doing government business. I understand that English is the required language for international air traffic controllers. That's just an example. Some conformity just makes sense.

And doctors are required to know Latin... so your point is that we make Latin the official language?

Oh great, we 'need' English to be the Official Language.

Should we have knife, fork and spoon to be the Official Tableware too? Criminalize chopsticks?

What about an Official Religion? Surely that would not be far behind? What about Official Condum? Toothpaste?