Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"We are going to get the Falklands back"

Socio

From what the PM said after his meeting the the US it seems that Argentina have got more chance of Angels of flying out their bottom than getting the Falklands back.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Right Wing

• Space Commander Travis

• Mekorig

• keithisco

"As per the second part of your post, your country have learned three times that the people of Argentina can put a good fight. " whoa hang on both sides took casualties as would be expected in a conflict but you guys got hammered to a damn pulp! why do you persist in tryin to make out your country is some underdog hero who will succeed in the end, its laughable really your country just comes off as the small p***ed kid tryin to be the big nasty.

Argentina have no legal basis for their claim, if they did so then it would have been taken up at the international court already.

In fact, the UK did offer to take it there, only for the Argentinians to decline. Wonder why...

Perhaps they need to focus on their own domestic issues and poverty before thinking about trying to incorporate an unwilling population into their fledgling 'empire.'

The kelpers are British and Scandinavian aren't they? It looks like all the structures were built by them. It sort of looks like its just another British island like Orkney or the isle of man. Per wiki it really doesn't seem like Argentina has a very valid claim.

The kelpers are British and Scandinavian aren't they? It looks like all the structures were built by them. It sort of looks like its just another British island like Orkney or the isle of man. Per wiki it really doesn't seem like Argentina has a very valid claim.

I think Argentina is a green eyed monster

Argentina have no legal basis for their claim, if they did so then it would have been taken up at the international court already.

In fact, the UK did offer to take it there, only for the Argentinians to decline. Wonder why...

Bolded party.WRONG! IF the UK chose to go to the International Courts then it is not dependent on Argentina agreement at all...

Mr Right Wing... please do not use Google Translate (or whatever you used) to try to make a statemenet in Spanish... it misses the mark completely and is just plain laughable. Try to learn the language at least a little, and then you will realise just how embarassingly wrong your attempt was..:w00t:

.... To be sincere, most of the most urban people in Argentina would not want to live there. Of course, most urban people dont want to live in Ushuaia either, but with enough jobs in the place, you can find people to live and prosper there. Between tourism, fishing and oil, i can see a good number of argentines living and working there. Can you say the same from non-falklander britishs?

Hmm... you may have a point there Mekorig. I stumbled across an article about Falklands Immigration that surprised me. It appears that there are LOTS of immigrants moving to the Falklands, of all nationalities (including Argentinians. Oh.. yes.. and British), and for all sorts of reasons.

Fascinating link Ships-cat... really entertaining :huh:

Edited by keithisco

Perhaps the people of the Falklands will in the end rise above flag-waving nationalism and set an example of how to live in harmony and co-operation.

Perhaps the people of the Falklands will in the end rise above flag-waving nationalism and set an example of how to live in harmony and co-operation.

Hmmm.. I always thought the Falklanders DID live in harmony and co-operation with Argentina, on the basis of "one nation to another" ?

Oh... sorry... I misunderstood. By "living in harmony and co-operation" you meant "surrender to Argentinian nationalism" ?

meow purr :(

Hmmm.. I always thought the Falklanders DID live in harmony and co-operation with Argentina, on the basis of "one nation to another" ?

Oh... sorry... I misunderstood. By "living in harmony and co-operation" you meant "surrender to Argentinian nationalism" ?

Oh, not at all, no. I just dream of a time when the peoples of the world can rise above nationalistic fervour and live hand in hand in harmony. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

:unsure2:

No.. the mature thing to do is to talk with Argentina (whose claim, primae facae - spelling is rubbish, but you get the drift) is equal (or equally unclear) to the UK's claim. If not then one of these countries would have gone running to the International Courts for clarification.

I think you are confusing modern Argentina with the dictats of the Military Junta of Gen. Galtieri - and not wanting to see the difference. IMO

It's always difficult to soound impartial in an argument like this but Britain has acted entirely fairly concerning the Falklands.

The war of 82 was a tragedy for both nations and Britain should not forget that we won that war by the skin of our teeth.

The decisive factors that gave us that victory were a huge helping of good luck for the British forces, some bad luck for the Argentine forces, the difference between elite Paratroopers, Royal Marine Commandos and Argentine conscripts, and finally some rather important military assets that we simply don't have at the moment.

We simply couldn't project a war at that distance at the moment. Remember in 82 how even with aircraft carriers in the Navy we had to use makeshift 'flat tops' for our harriers?

We don't have carriers or harriers now, and we don't have anything else that can do that job.

We don't have the nimrod early warning aricraft or long range straetgic bombers.

Yes we've got a garrison on the islands, and four Eurofighters that would doubtless account for themselves very well being one of the finest aircraft in the world if not the finest.

But we have ONE helicopter carrier in opperation at a time. So assuming that we had HMS Ocean available we'd have 18 helicopters at our disposal to retake the islands if we lost them, maintain air superiority etc.

What worries me is that this stupid sabre rattling by the Argentine government and the constant attempts at enlisting support for blockades/boycotts etc combined with the whipping up of misplaced nationalistic sentiment will push the Argentines to military agression.

Especially when the recent provocation has been essentially downplayed by the British.

Appeasement is only MORE likely to lead to war in my opinion.

We need to react with like for like. They make threats, we should reinforce the garrison, heavily and publicly. Cancel the sale of the Harriers to the USA and station an entire squadron on the islands with the four Typhoons.

South american countries deny our ships access, we should do the same to any ships from those nations wanting to visit the UK.

Downing street says that any action against British exports to Argentina would be “counterproductive”! HA! they should put it more simply, "ANY action against British exports to Argentina will result in a banning of all Argentinian exports to the UK immediately".

No.. the mature thing to do is to talk with Argentina (whose claim, primae facae - spelling is rubbish, but you get the drift) is equal (or equally unclear) to the UK's claim. If not then one of these countries would have gone running to the International Courts for clarification.

I think you are confusing modern Argentina with the dictats of the Military Junta of Gen. Galtieri - and not wanting to see the difference. IMO

The mature thing would be for Argentina to stop trying to force themselves on the Islanders. If they want the islands then they should show they have more to offer than Britain does. Until they convince the Islanders to switch sides they should respect their wishes.

I do not know how many more times that I have to re-state the basic facts in this situation before you all understand them...

1. Argentina are NOT making any threats at all

2. They are REQUESTING tri-partite negotiations (UK, Falklanders, UK Gov) nothing more. It is the UK Gov that is sidelining the Falklanders from these negotiations by insisting that all Soveriegnty negotiations can only be between the Govs of UK and Argentina, and not including the Falklanders'.

3. The Argentine Constitution reflects the peaceful nature of these requests (nothing about Military Conquest)

4. What is there to lose from negotiating in an open and free forum?

5. In 10 years the majority of Falklanders will not even be of UK Descent anyway - so it will become a moot point

Let Cameron start his sabre rattling - it worked for Maggie Thatcher after all, it will deflect from the real problems in the UK, and maybe win another term for the Tory/ Lib Alliance, because the electorate are too stupid to see such actions for what they really are..

I am so happy to see that the Super - Rich in UK are about to become even richer (todays Budget announcements), whilst the Pensioners become poorer

I do not know how many more times that I have to re-state the basic facts in this situation before you all understand them...

2. They are REQUESTING tri-partite negotiations (UK, Falklanders, UK Gov) nothing more. It is the UK Gov that is sidelining the Falklanders from these negotiations by insisting that all Soveriegnty negotiations can only be between the Govs of UK and Argentina, and not including the Falklanders'.

3. The Argentine Constitution reflects the peaceful nature of these requests (nothing about Military Conquest)

5. In 10 years the majority of Falklanders will not even be of UK Descent anyway - so it will become a moot point

Let Cameron start his sabre rattling - it worked for Maggie Thatcher after all, it will deflect from the real problems in the UK, and maybe win another term for the Tory/ Lib Alliance, because the electorate are too stupid to see such actions for what they really are..

I am so happy to see that the Super - Rich in UK are about to become even richer (todays Budget announcements), whilst the Pensioners become poorer

First thing. Why are you happy? Second. When has this not been true all over the world since the year dot?

Sour grapes nothing more, they want to increase their territory, they have tried by force and failed. Now it is all for political points, nobody is listening outside the UK and Argentina. 6 months from now nothing will have changed and this will all be forgotten about.

I want your house, before you say no! i have visited Spain more than once.

:tu:

Basic facts? So, banning British vessels from Argentine ports isn't a threat? Is there anything "diplomatic" about that? No, I didn't think so either. Imagine if Spanish ships were banned from Moroccan ports because the Moroccan government didn't appreciate the Spanish government retaining control over Ceuta and Melilla?

Also, not of UK descent? Have the Falkland Islanders suddenly become Argentine? Honestly, where do you come up with such ridiculous ideas?

And let's remember about the Spanish government reminding the British about the talks surrounding Gibraltar? What about the soaring unemployment in Spain? Dictate to others when your own yard is clean.

And I believe that Britain has also tried to offer and work out several deals with Argentina only to have those offers rejected outright. Argentina is hardly an innocent party.

And are you sure about Argentina wanting the Islanders involved in any talks? Because I recall earlier in this thread that it was the British who wanted them involved and Argentina refusing. After all since the Islanders want to remain British their involvement would hurt Argentina's case.

1. And I believe that Britain has also tried to offer and work out several deals with Argentina only to have those offers rejected outright. Argentina is hardly an innocent party.

2. And are you sure about Argentina wanting the Islanders involved in any talks? Because I recall earlier in this thread that it was the British who wanted them involved and Argentina refusing. After all since the Islanders want to remain British their involvement would hurt Argentina's case.

1. NO

2. YES

I want your house, before you say no! i have visited Spain more than once.

and did some fishing lol