Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Team sheds light on upright walking

Still Waters

Mankind's ancestors may have started walking on two legs simply because it allowed them to carry more food away in their hands, boosting their chance of survival, scientists believe.

Anthropologists studying chimpanzees found that the great apes, who usually walk on all fours, walk upright and free their hands for carrying when they need to monopolise hard-to-find resources by swiping more at a single attempt in the face of fierce competition.

The team from the University of Cambridge and Kyoto University in Japan believe the benefit of "first come, first served" and getting a bigger share of scarce food supplies could, over a long period of time, have led some of our earliest "hominin" ancestors to evolve into "bipedal" primates walking on two legs permanently instead of four.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abramelin

• spud the mackem

• Lion6969

• Zaphod222

I think I heard this theory already 30 years ago and based on similar observations of chimps.

Where do these guys get all this stuff from ?,and if thats the case why didnt chimps/gorilla's and other primates keep on evolving.Or did they say to themselves,o.k we'll let humans have a go for a few millenia,then when they become extinct we shall have a turn.Some of these theories are a real hoot..My theory is that humans stood up to carry their kids to school over the mud when it rained,ha ha ha let the nerds prove otherwise,,,

Where do these guys get all this stuff from ?,and if thats the case why didnt chimps/gorilla's and other primates keep on evolving.Or did they say to themselves,o.k we'll let humans have a go for a few millenia,then when they become extinct we shall have a turn.Some of these theories are a real hoot..My theory is that humans stood up to carry their kids to school over the mud when it rained,ha ha ha let the nerds prove otherwise,,,

They get this from OBSERVATING the behaviour of apes.

Just look at this video:

Or this, because some fkup thought it was good idea to not have people embed this video on forums and such:

Edited by Abramelin

They get is from OBSERVATING the behaviour of apes.

Just look at this video:

Goedenavond ,What are you trying to prove ?,I have seen a walking on two legs Gorilla at Bristol Zoo,but that doesnt prove why Humans stood upright.I happen to believe that we did not evolve from primates,but are a totally separate species ...

I do not know what the point of this is. Obviously, there were advantages moving upright, otherwise some of the species would not have started to do so. And there are other advantages in other behaviour, so others behaved differently. That is why there are billions of species out there. Nature is diversity. Proof - pudding.

Goedenavond ,What are you trying to prove ?,I have seen a walking on two legs Gorilla at Bristol Zoo,but that doesnt prove why Humans stood upright.I happen to believe that we did not evolve from primates,but are a totally separate species ...

Well, apparently we are genetically closely linked to chimps and gorillas so it's logical to assume apes and humans must have a common ancestor.

Well, apparently we are genetically closely linked to chimps and gorillas so it's logical to assume apes and humans must have a common ancestor.

Sorry friend I dont agree,are you happy that your Great Grandad x about 40000 plus generations ago was swinging through the trees,because I am NOT.Just because Charlie Darwin 200 years ago,came up with a few theories about evolution does not mean that he was right..but he put his point of view forward and had it accepted,Then...

If a human child is born with 6 fingers,is he a freak,by todays standards ?,or is that particular family evolving ?.taking a step forward !.Of course every one sympathyses and off he goes to Hospital to have the offending part removed,but maybe when/if he has kids,they also may have 6 fingers.Then what ?have we a new species of human ?......We all have opinions and thats mine,but I also respect yours, cheers

Sorry friend I dont agree,are you happy that your Great Grandad x about 40000 plus generations ago was swinging through the trees,because I am NOT.Just because Charlie Darwin 200 years ago,came up with a few theories about evolution does not mean that he was right..but he put his point of view forward and had it accepted,Then...

If a human child is born with 6 fingers,is he a freak,by todays standards ?,or is that particular family evolving ?.taking a step forward !.Of course every one sympathyses and off he goes to Hospital to have the offending part removed,but maybe when/if he has kids,they also may have 6 fingers.Then what ?have we a new species of human ?......We all have opinions and thats mine,but I also respect yours, cheers

That is not an opinion, that is not understanding what evolution is all about.

Maybe this is of help:

http://morriscourse.com/myths_of_evolution/myths_of_evolution.htm

Edited by Abramelin

• 1 month later...

Humans began walking due to grasslands taking over the jungles of ancient earth. Isolated tree stands would be separated by stretches of grassland. Once a tree stand became overpopulated pre-humans would have to migrate to a new area. Crossing grasslands, full of predators, is dangerous. Walking upright gave pre-humans the ability to see over the grass and more protection from predators.

Humans began walking due to grasslands taking over the jungles of ancient earth. Isolated tree stands would be separated by stretches of grassland. Once a tree stand became overpopulated pre-humans would have to migrate to a new area. Crossing grasslands, full of predators, is dangerous. Walking upright gave pre-humans the ability to see over the grass and more protection from predators.

Wherethehellarewe's the first human tribe.

I seem to recall seeing it suggested, years ago, that habitual upright walking enabled hominims to retain weapons. That makes a fair amount of sense since weapons have continuous utility in a natural environment in a way that food doesn't.