Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World’s quietest place: could you stand it?

Still Waters

They say silence is golden – but there’s a room in the U.S that’s so quiet it becomes unbearable after a short time.

The longest that anyone has survived in the ‘anechoic chamber’ at Orfield Laboratories in South Minneapolis is just 45 minutes.

It’s 99.99 per cent sound absorbent and holds the Guinness World Record for the world’s quietest place, but stay there too long and you may start hallucinating.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BiffSplitkins

• Still Waters

• Timothy

• libstaK

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I'm just biting at the bit for a shot at that, imagine really hearing "yourself", I think it would be awesome.

I have Tinnitus so bad that if I don't have some white noise in the room I cannot sleep. I don't think I'd do well in this little room. The ringing in my ears would drive me mad.

I have Tinnitus so bad that if I don't have some white noise in the room I cannot sleep. I don't think I'd do well in this little room. The ringing in my ears would drive me mad.

Ouch, I can actually imagine how bad that would be. Me thinks alot of people would discover their Tinnitus in this room amongst other things.

Didn't they used to put astronauts through a similar situation by putting them in a sound and light proof chamber for an extended period of time? I thought I saw that in a movie once.

Didn't they used to put astronauts through a similar situation by putting them in a sound and light proof chamber for an extended period of time? I thought I saw that in a movie once.

Yes, it says that in the article.

The chamber is used by companies all over America – including Nasa, which puts their astronauts to the test in there, floating in a water-filled container, to see ‘how long it takes before hallucinations take place and whether they could work through it’

Guess who didn't click on the link :P

Yes, it says that in the article.

The chamber is used by companies all over America – including Nasa, which puts their astronauts to the test in there, floating in a water-filled container, to see ‘how long it takes before hallucinations take place and whether they could work through it’

Guess who didn't click on the link :P

I skimmed over the article. I'm busted. :rofl:

I'm still trying to remember which movie I saw that in though.

It would make a librarian scream.

I bet if you held a 5 year old birthday party in there the noise would permeate the walls.

‘How you orient yourself is through sounds you hear when you walk. In the anechnoic chamber, you don't have any cues. You take away the perceptual cues that allow you to balance and manoeuvre. If you're in there for half an hour, you have to be in a chair.’

I would love to give it a crack. I wonder if you would be allowed to take a good book in with you?

Sounds like the perfect place to take your wife for a holiday :)

Hmm.. I wonder if somebody born deaf would beat the 45 minute record :huh:

I skimmed over the article. I'm busted. :rofl:

I'm still trying to remember which movie I saw that in though.

Armaggedon...

If you can hear your own bodily functions, heart beat etc., couldn't you hear other things? What if you hummed or clapped your hands? It would be muffled by not bouncing back at you I suppose, but you would still hear it I would think.

I'd need a chair in there just because I wouldn't want to stand up for 45 mins. :P

If you can hear your own bodily functions, heart beat etc., couldn't you hear other things? What if you hummed or clapped your hands? It would be muffled by not bouncing back at you I suppose, but you would still hear it I would think.

I'd need a chair in there just because I wouldn't want to stand up for 45 mins. :P

Yeah one of the reasons you sound so different when you hear your voice played back to you is because of the internal component that reverberate within your body. You would still hear yourself making noises, anything internal.

Imagine Helen Keller, She would kill the 45 minute record.