Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

British Columbian giant raven

Abramelin

Has anyone ever heard of this:

British Columbian giant raven (Interior of B.C. NA): A piece of local folklore, the bush mechanics who worked in the interior of B.C. claim that here is a valley, rich in timber, which is populated by enormous ravens bigger than golden eagles. They say these ravens are dangerous animals, very opportunistic, and will not hesitate to tear someones camp apart. they are nearly flightless, and have much red in their tail plumage. These are obviously a specialized species of raven which developed in the isolation of this valley. However, if any introduced predators like dogs or cats make it there these ravens might become threatened.

http://www.angelfire.com/bc2/cryptodominion/preybirds.html

That website is the only place on the internet that mentions these 'giant ravens'.

Edited by Abramelin

As some of you will know - see my signature - I collect stories, myths, scientific papers and newspaper articles about any corvid on the planet (= magpies, jays, jackdaws, rooks, choughs, crows, ravens).

http://kromakhy.blogspot.com/

Edited by Abramelin

British Columbian giant raven (Interior of B.C. NA): A piece of local folklore, the bush mechanics who worked in the interior of B.C. claim that here is a valley, rich in timber, which is populated by enormous ravens bigger than golden eagles. They say these ravens are dangerous animals, very opportunistic, and will not hesitate to tear someones camp apart. they are nearly flightless, and have much red in their tail plumage. These are obviously a specialized species of raven which developed in the isolation of this valley. However, if any introduced predators like dogs or cats make it there these ravens might become threatened.

That website is the only place on the internet that mentions these 'giant ravens'.

You would think that if these existed in a single specific valley in BC, that they would be fully documented and known to science.

You would think that if these existed in a single specific valley in BC, that they would be fully documented and known to science.

Yeah, I have never heard of these. I do know that in the populated areas where the Ravens can have easy access to garbage they get quite large.

Does BC sound like a plausible place for such a bird to develop? I thought it would be a little too populated, but the story does say an isolated area.

The PNG bird quite caught my attention. Interesting story that, it could be some sort of Cassowary or similar. I guess even possible something unknown. PNG seems like the place to hide such a thing and with Emu's an Cassowaries still very prolific just below in Oz, it seems not too much of a stretch of a tale.

Edited by psyche101

Yeah, that's what I would expect too. But I had hoped someone else from BC might have heard of that 'piece of local folklore'.

And wouldn't these bush mechanics want to report something special like dangerous, near-flighless eagle-sized ravens to some biologist?

Does BC sound like a plausible place for such a bird to develop? I thought it would be a little too populated, but the story does say an isolated area.

The PNG bird quite caught my attention. Interesting story that, it could be some sort of Cassowary or similar. I guess even possible something unknown. PNG seems like the place to hide such a thing and with Emu's an Cassowaries still very prolific just below in Oz, it seems not too much of a stretch of a tale.

Strange as it may sound, but I have been thinking of a mis-identification of an introduced alien species that is not a corvid at all...

The bird I was thinking of is the socalled "Johnny Rook" from the Falkland Islands and Tierra del Fuego. It behaves like described in the first post, the juveniles have a reddish color/glow, they only have hooked beaks. The rest of their behaviour is very much like that of a gang of ravens (or an "unkindness of ravens", lol).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striated_Caracara

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/video/striated-caracara-phalcoboenus-australis/immatures-pecking-feet-leopard-seal

But are they bigger than golden eagles??

Edited by Abramelin

Strange as it may sound, but I have been thinking of a mis-identification of an introduced alien species that is not a corvid at all...

The bird I was thinking of is the socalled "Johnny Rook" from the Falkland Islands and Tierra del Fuego. It behaves like described in the first post, the juveniles have a reddish color/glow, they only have hooked beaks. The rest of their behaviour is very much like that of a gang of ravens (or an "unkindness of ravens", lol).

http://en.wikipedia....riated_Caracara

http://ibc.lynxeds.c...et-leopard-seal

But are they bigger than golden eagles??

We do get Turkey Vultures up here in the summer, and other than the eagles down the coast that eat a lot of fish, I have never heard of giant Ravens.

As some of you will know - see my signature - I collect stories, myths, scientific papers and newspaper articles about any corvid on the planet (= magpies, jays, jackdaws, rooks, choughs, crows, ravens).

http://kromakhy.blogspot.com/

I am very interested in corvids as well. I looked at your site (quickly). Looks like an excellent source of info, :tu: I bookmarked it and will take a closer look later. If you are interested I have many (personally taken) photos of corvids that I would be happy to donate to your site. If you are interested let me know.

I would think that normal sized flying ravens could easily out compete bigger almost flightless ravens, thus rendering the larger bird obsolete (just guessing here). And we know that isolation, and high mountains are not barriers for normal flying ravens.

I am very interested in corvids as well. I looked at your site (quickly). Looks like an excellent source of info, :tu: I bookmarked it and will take a closer look later. If you are interested I have many (personally taken) photos of corvids that I would be happy to donate to your site. If you are interested let me know.

Sure, please do!

Edited by Abramelin

I would think that normal sized flying ravens could easily out compete bigger almost flightless ravens, thus rendering the larger bird obsolete (just guessing here). And we know that isolation, and high mountains are not barriers for normal flying ravens.

If it is a true story (big IF here), then these ravens developed a quite nasty character over time. Or else what I suggested earlier: a mis-identification.

It seems, however, unlikely someone introduced Johnny Rooks into some isolated valley in BC, but who knows? They are also not at all flightless, but they sure do love to walk and run as you can see in the video, and totally unafraid of humans.

Edited by Abramelin

For the birds to be bigger, they would need a large food source. That is why the eagles down in Squamish are so large-they gorge themselves on the spaqwning salmon. For Ravens to be this big, there would have to be abundant food in the valley to support their size. This just doesn't make any sense IMO.

For the birds to be bigger, they would need a large food source. That is why the eagles down in Squamish are so large-they gorge themselves on the spaqwning salmon. For Ravens to be this big, there would have to be abundant food in the valley to support their size. This just doesn't make any sense IMO.

Well, maybe there is abundant food in that valley? The only thing that's being said of that valley is that it is isolated, not how large it is or what kind of food is available.

Edited by Abramelin

Well, maybe there is abundant food in that valley? The only thing that's being said of that valley is that it is isolated, not how large it is or what kind of food is available.

If you didn't notice I live in BC. The amounts of food for a whole flock to live would have to be immense. If there was one bird and it was the only carnivore, then yes, I could see it growing to a huge size. But, it there was a flock of them, they would soon eat the food supply and either leave that valley or die out. Larger animals need larger amounts of food.

If you didn't notice I live in BC. The amounts of food for a whole flock to live would have to be immense. If there was one bird and it was the only carnivore, then yes, I could see it growing to a huge size. But, it there was a flock of them, they would soon eat the food supply and either leave that valley or die out. Larger animals need larger amounts of food.

For carnivores a valley would probably be too small because it could not sustain a population of them because of a lack of prey animals.

But ravens are omnivores; they eat anything edible.

For carnivores a valley would probably be too small because it could not sustain a population of them because of a lack of prey animals.

But ravens are omnivores; they eat anything edible.

Yes...it is nice to want to believe in this large bird, but, there is not a valley that would feed a whole flock of these animals AND feed other animals too. I have lived in may parts of this province and I have never heard of these animals. Something like this would be studied, and there would be articles in articles and magazines; National Geographic, BC Geographic or Beautiful British Columbia.

i'm a local BCer. I've seen some big ravens and tamed/had semi-pet ravens in the past that i fed daily. they can get very big. bigger then eagles? doubtful. but big, yes? and if you've ever been attacked by a raven you would know that they can be very dangerous. two or three of them could kill a person if they were so motivated. this legend (i've heard of it once before) probably started when some loggers chopped down a tree with a nest and the ravens (which were probably large ravens - as large as ravens can naturally get) in turn attacked them. (ravens and crows hold grudges, funnily enough). and thus the legend began.

eitherway, it would be neat to read more about this.

Edited by Bavarian Raven

Yes...it is nice to want to believe in this large bird, but, there is not a valley that would feed a whole flock of these animals AND feed other animals too. I have lived in may parts of this province and I have never heard of these animals. Something like this would be studied, and there would be articles in articles and magazines; National Geographic, BC Geographic or Beautiful British Columbia.

I do not even believe it myself, I just wanted to know if it is a story other people from BC have heard of.

Well, it appears not, so I wonder where the owner of that website got his story from if he didn't make it all up himself. The rest of his 'cryptids' seem to be wellknown, though.

And I can't really argue with you about if it could in any way be possible because I have never been in BC and I so don't know if there are these isolated valleys where hardly anyone ever comes.

i'm a local BCer. I've seen some big ravens and tamed/had semi-pet ravens in the past that i fed daily. they can get very big. bigger then eagles? doubtful. but big, yes? and if you've ever been attacked by a raven you would know that they can be very dangerous. two or three of them could kill a person if they were so motivated. this legend (i've heard of it once before) probably started when some loggers chopped down a tree with a nest and the ravens (which were probably large ravens - as large as ravens can naturally get) in turn attacked them. (ravens and crows hold grudges, funnily enough). and thus the legend began.

eitherway, it would be neat to read more about this.

Yes Bavarian Raven, I know ravens can be dangerous when motivated. But the only live ravens I ever met were in southern Germany (Schwarzwald, "Black Forest"). The only ravens here in the Netherlands have been reintroduced decades ago, but they never became numerous and did hardly spread out from the area of reintroduction. On the other hand, we have lots of crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies and jays.

Anyway, if you happen to learn more about the story, please post about it.

Ive lived in the bc interior most of my life. Im in a small town called 100 Mile House. Its entirely forestry and mill driven. Although Im not involved in the logging industry friends and family have been and are. Ive never heard of any story like that.

I have worked in logging camps before and though some are quite deluxe they can get boring. It sounds more like a case of people trying to one up each other while relating their day. Everyone always wants to be the one who saw the biggest deer or moose for example, I can see that extending to crows and ravens too. As far as a valley rich in timber goes, if the mechanics of your story were there then the loggers were there too. Which means it wouldnt be rich in timber for long.

Ive lived in the bc interior most of my life. Im in a small town called 100 Mile House. Its entirely forestry and mill driven. Although Im not involved in the logging industry friends and family have been and are. Ive never heard of any story like that.

I have worked in logging camps before and though some are quite deluxe they can get boring. It sounds more like a case of people trying to one up each other while relating their day. Everyone always wants to be the one who saw the biggest deer or moose for example, I can see that extending to crows and ravens too. As far as a valley rich in timber goes, if the mechanics of your story were there then the loggers were there too. Which means it wouldnt be rich in timber for long.

The size of those ravens may have been exaggerated, that's bound to happen with people telling eachother stories at a campfire. It may have been nothing but a case of "those ravens were fg big!!"

But the details about the plumage and the behaviour...hmm.

I do not even believe it myself, I just wanted to know if it is a story other people from BC have heard of.

Well, it appears not, so I wonder where the owner of that website got his story from if he didn't make it all up himself. The rest of his 'cryptids' seem to be wellknown, though.

And I can't really argue with you about if it could in any way be possible because I have never been in BC and I so don't know if there are these isolated valleys where hardly anyone ever comes.

Well, we have our share of cryptids, we have the Ogopogo, a giant creature sort of like Nessie in Scotland, many people claim to have seen a sasquatch, there are a LOT of myths and legends in BC. The Natives can tell some really cool stories. the problem is that we have no proof of any of them. I wish it was otherwise, but, other than stories passed arounf, that is the case.

http://www.angelfire.../preybirds.html

Not saying everyone believes this, but I do not get why there is even a hint that it " might " exist?.......Seems in the Paranormal world, more than anywhere else, people do not learn from mistakes, or from history.......Just the same hoax's / stories changed a tiny bit, and used again and again........No originality.

Fool me once shame on you........... :yes:

What is Sylvanic? What we know for certain is Sylvanic is a hidden valley nestled deep within the North American Rocky Mountains. Sylvanic (as the natives now refer to it) is the name of the canyon pass that leads to an enormous valley, which is encircled entirely by an unbroken chain of mountains. This valley has remained virtually untouched by modern man. Within its boundaries pictures of wild free roaming bison have been taken and stories are beginning to surface of new species of animals that where either thought to be extinct or never conclusively proven to exist by modern science. Men have mysteriously disappeared and others claim to have been rescued by an illusive species the natives have revered and worshiped for a hundred generations they call the shadow guardians of the mountains.