Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Microsoft calls on users to ditch XP

Still Waters

Microsoft has warned end users about waiting for the release of Windows 8 to ditch decade-old operating system, XP.

In a post on the software giant’s Windows Team Blog, the firm reminded users that support for XP will cease on 8 April 2014, which means they need to start migrating to Windows 7 soon.

“Windows XP and Office 2003 were great software releases for their time, but the technology environment has shifted,” said the blog post.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbie333

• orangepeaceful79

• questionmark

• Keel M.

Top Posters In This Topic

Ho hum... XP still works fine for me... rather buy myself a bottle of good Chablis... <br>

I am so fed up with MS. I think my next purchase will be something with an Apple on it, LOL

I am so fed up with MS. I think my next purchase will be something with an Apple on it, LOL

Yeah, I'm pretty much leaning towards my next purchase being an Apple as well.

Just install Linux on your old system. You don't have to be a Geek anymore to make it work, Windows applications run (mostly) without a problem using Wine or Vbox, it is faster, more stable and more reliable.

Ho hum... XP still works fine for me... rather buy myself a bottle of good Chablis... <br>

Same here. Of course I used to say the same about Windows 98 but then again THAT system WAS outdated even when it came out.

XP works great for me..I do wish it was a tad more slimmed down. I am the only one using my computer so I don't need "Administrator" rights to my own computer.

I have not heard many encouraging things about the newer Windows systems and I might make another computer and put Linux on it. I'd partition my hard drive but I am just not in the mood to dink around with stuff. I just want to turn the sucker on and go.

I like XP still. We have it here at work too. LOL I'm leaning more and more toward trying out Linux, though. While I save my pennies for a MacBook.

I never thought in a million years I'd say this, because I was always, always hardcore Microsoft - but having had access to a Macbook Air and an IPad now through my current job, there is NO WAY I would ever buy a Microsoft product for my own personal use. These two devices do everything that I could possibly ever need them to do, and they do it reliably.

I never thought in a million years I'd say this, because I was always, always hardcore Microsoft - but having had access to a Macbook Air and an IPad now through my current job, there is NO WAY I would ever buy a Microsoft product for my own personal use. These two devices do everything that I could possibly ever need them to do, and they do it reliably.

I'm not as gung-ho about the iPad as most people are, but I like mine because it's quicker to turn on when I want to look something up.

At home I do not use my PC for business so...only to download music, pictures and writing so I am not worried about any software not being compatible. My brother in law has always used Mac and I use his at times. I like it and think it is more secure as well. I do not game so I think Mac is plenty fast. Plus, the Apple is cool, LOL

I like XP still. We have it here at work too. LOL I'm leaning more and more toward trying out Linux, though. While I save my pennies for a MacBook.

Yes, the $$$ is more for Mac but what the hey.

On a slightly unrelated note: the computer in my bedroom is still running Windows '95.

I'm not as gung-ho about the iPad as most people are, but I like mine because it's quicker to turn on when I want to look something up.

I was slow to warm to mine as at first there were things it couldn't do, like interface with my digital camera but I bought an adapter for that and found an app that lets it print on the wifi network at work so pretty much it does everything now that my MacBook ever did for me. I have a wireless keyboard for it Too, which adds functionality.

<-----sticking with Windows XP. It's taken me all these years to know how to use it. And I never download any updates from MS since one of their security updates closed down my computer. Apparently it thought I had a pirate copy of windows. The PC was purchased directly from Dell with windows XP so that is unlikely. I didnt hear anything back from MS when I asked them to pay for the repair bill :)

Seriously though, I think it is just MS trying to scare peeps into purchasing the newer versions. They probably need the money lol.

Make windows 7 free and I'm sure plenty of people will convert. Otherwise don't expect people to pay to replace something that works fine.

Our problem where i work is that we can't get off XP no matter how much we want to. I work in an industry where our productivity applications won't yet run on Windows 7. Windows 7 is awesome, but it's not so awesome when your document imaging software and origination software won't run on it. That's not MIcrosoft's fault though, that's the vendors fault. And contrary to popular belief, it's not easy or cheap to just go out and buy and deploy new productivity software for over 300 hardcore users. We'd love to move to Win7. And we'd love our users to stop trying to use Remote Desktop with their Mac's at home (or WORSE their iPads) those screwy Macs poop little temp files all over the network and don't clean up after themselves.

Oh, and just so no one isn't confused... I worked for MIcrosoft for 20 years off and on... if you think Apple and MIcrosoft compete against each other, you're mistaken, those two companies are SO in BED together it's not even funny. (actually, I take it back because it's pretty hilarious that they've managed to buffalo so many people with their fake rivalry. haha Microsoft has a huge amount of money and time invested in Apple's SUCCESS)

Just install Linux on your old system. You don't have to be a Geek anymore to make it work, Windows applications run (mostly) without a problem using Wine or Vbox, it is faster, more stable and more reliable.

Agreed, besides a new version for most linux systems comes out every 6 months. It's free and downloads to fit on to a cd or dvd.

Actually thanks for bringing this up because I got a notice today that my ubuntu 10.10 is not supported anymore.

Think I'm gonna switch to linux mint.

Anyway, back on topic. It really sucks that they haven't tried making an improved version of xp. A lot of programs that work fine on xp fail to work with the newer operating systems.

Personally I would have liked Microsoft to put XP out on the market for free or at least a low price. Maybe set it up so security updates and such could be handed over to a community of volunteers who actually cared about keeping XP alive.

At least then they would have a product on the market that could potentially rival linux (price wise anyway).

Hell, It might even bring back some on the linux supporters.