Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mega Birds Fly Across The Full Moon Footage

NatureBoff

We've had a bat image infront of the moon you donut, and guess what, it flew just like a bat and *not* like a thunderbolt doing 90 degree turns. BTW have your "pack of wild dogs" actually been seen by anyone in Ireland yet?? Hahahaha...:)

So you find a pack of dogs ridiculous but glow birds reasonable? I guess real things are just to easy to believe, anyone can believe in them. It takes a special mind to believe in fictional things.

I've changed my mind w.r.t to the giant owl hypothesis. I think that they are an archaic species of bird which this subspecies just happens to look like a giant owl. The two seen fighting would have ignored the humans nearby and so the sinister red eyes would have been missed. The paralysing effect of their gaze and the superspeed of flight seem to much for the evolution of the owl imv. An archaic species of flying reptile is more likely to have developed bioluminescense from virus DNA transfer, due to them having had much more time to acquire it. I'm still sure about the owlman of cornwall hovering with wings outstretched and using a webbed or feathered talon for lift on each foot. The head turned 180 degrees also seems to fit. The disc shape and foot propulsion is also the only alternative imv. Just not regular birds, that's all.

An archaic bird would have an air-sac system which had evolved in a low oxygen atmosphere. This would mean that in a high oxygen atmosphere of today they would have 'super-energy' for super fast flight.

So are you talking about a reptile or a bird and what would be your proposed evolutionary linegae of this mysterious flying creature?

So are you talking about a reptile or a bird and what would be your proposed evolutionary linegae of this mysterious flying creature?

I'm thinking about survivors from the freezing over of the Antarctic continent. This giant landmass has occupied the same southerly position since evolution began imv. The dinosaurs remains are renowned for being 'less developed' than dinosaurs of the other continents due to the 6 months of darkness that they had to endure. I imagine that this unique set of circumstances led to a unique set of evolutionary survival techniques. A 'bird' which could hover over still water and use magnetism to detect fish and eels in the darkness below would be highly advantageous. Hence a new near-hovering technique using the feet for lift with the wings held out permanently in a slow glide would be ideal. More energy efficient than beating the wings for example. As the conditions for life got progressively worse and worse, animals which migrated to the sunny spots would have the advantage. Things that flew would have yet more of an advantage. Eventually these flying migrators would have the continent to themselves and have a mini-population explosion. Some of these could easily have been blown off the continent to South America and even Australia. Then the Antarctic cold would take even these super-species to extinction, leaving the survivors to befuddle our consciences for ever more..

I'm still researching this idea and would guess that a 'black Antartic owl' is the 10ft wingspan Mothman and Owlman with the red eyes and magnetic stare. The reports of a smaller green lizard-like creature which can fly with amazing speed and is bioluminescent is something more akin to an 'archaic flying lizard' or a species of microraptor, see my avatar for a picture. This appears to be able to fly vertically using a new pulse propulsion technique and perhaps the super-speed is super-sonic and creates water droplets in the air with every wingbeat, hence the white fuzzy orbs?

post-94765-0-16678600-1334054809_thumb.j

Edited by tailormaneinafog

I'm thinking about survivors from the freezing over of the Antarctic continent. This giant landmass has occupied the same southerly position since evolution began imv. The dinosaurs remains are renowned for being 'less developed' than dinosaurs of the other continents due to the 6 months of darkness that they had to endure. I imagine that this unique set of circumstances led to a unique set of evolutionary survival techniques. A 'bird' which could hover over still water and use magnetism to detect fish and eels in the darkness below would be highly advantageous. Hence a new near-hovering technique using the feet for lift with the wings held out permanently in a slow glide would be ideal. More energy efficient than beating the wings for example. As the conditions for life got progressively worse and worse, animals which migrated to the sunny spots would have the advantage. Things that flew would have yet more of an advantage. Eventually these flying migrators would have the continent to themselves and have a mini-population explosion. Some of these could easily have been blown off the continent to South America and even Australia. Then the Antarctic cold would take even these super-species to extinction, leaving the survivors to befuddle our consciences for ever more..

I'm still researching this idea and would guess that a 'black Antartic owl' is the 10ft wingspan Mothman and Owlman with the red eyes and magnetic stare. The reports of a smaller green lizard-like creature which can fly with amazing speed and is bioluminescent is something more akin to an 'archaic flying lizard' or a species of microraptor, see my avatar for a picture. This appears to be able to fly vertically using a new pulse propulsion technique and perhaps the super-speed is super-sonic and creates water droplets in the air with every wingbeat, hence the white fuzzy orbs?

So now we have a supersonic bioluminescent flying lizard?

You say ''Appears to be able to'' which infers there is some evidence to support this.

I would love to ask exactly what this evidence is but I am afraid you may give an answer. So I am not going to ask lol :)

Can you cite where you get your information about dinosaurs in the antarctic are renowned for being less developed? Many life forms have evolved to live in darkness, that does not make them less evolved as you claim. Yet then you say your fantasy birds have evolved to hover and find fish in the darkness. So how is that being less developed?

As far as flying to Australia goes, I think they were attatched around the time youre talking about werent they? You havent really specified a time frame.

If your fictional birds were moving in and out of super sonic speed wouldnt we be hearing a slight sonic boom accompanying them?

Where are all these reports of the fast flying lizard you are talking about?

Edited by vitruvian12

Why exactly are you talking about a bird/reptile (still not clear about which you think this is) and you show a picture of a plane?

No, no, no. I'm saying mega birds fly with their wings outstretched and use their webbed feet for propulsion. It's a bit of a coincidence that all six or so videos show a bat moving at incredible speed in a constant straight line isn't it?

That is the most foolish thing I've ever read.

When did evolution decide to use webbed feet for propulsion through the sky?

And the moon is so far away anything that passes across the face of it will appear to be going very fast - apart from that kid with the alien on the front of his BMX

Edited by tyrant lizard

This giant landmass has occupied the same southerly position since evolution began imv.
What do you mean that Antarctica has occupied the same position since evolution began imv.

Evolution began some 3.5 billion years ago which is if I recall correctly roughly the earliest dates for bacterial fossils on Earth. At that time there was no such thing as Antarctica.

Perhaps you meant it's been in the same place since whenever thingamajig you are trying to propose branched off and started to evolve from whatever it evolved from but even that doesn't make much sense as all life forms have had a continuous evolution going right back to the origins of life. Exactly what period in time are you talking about when you talk about "since evolution began"?

You talked about dinosaurs on Antarctica being less evolved because they evolved with a climate that involves 6 month dark cold winter nights, blah blah. Do you realise that 65 million years ago, when the last of the dinosaurs died out (not really as birds are essentially modern dinosaurs, but you know what I mean), Antarctica was not the ice covered continent situated at the south pole that it is now?

Did you even bother to read up on the geological history of the continent or are you simply declaring it to be true because your latest imaginary monster's made-up evolutionary history requires it to be true? Adding "imv" to invented facts doesn't help your cause. Scientists have being studying the geology and history of Antarctica for quite a while and quite a bit is known about it, therefore you can't simply declare a continent to have been where you wanted it to be when you wanted it to be there in your view. Facts don't change because in your view you imagine something else to be true.

Edited by Archimedes

I would say that like many of Tail's beloved critters, Crypto is evolving to look more and more like fiction in order to elude discovery by humans. Henceforth, cryptozoology will be known as Were-fiction.

:lol:

:rofl::tu:

Were Fiction - I love it!

What do you mean that Antarctica has occupied the same position since evolution began imv.

Evolution began some 3.5 billion years ago which is if I recall correctly roughly the earliest dates for bacterial fossils on Earth. At that time there was no such thing as Antarctica.

Perhaps you meant it's been in the same place since whenever thingamajig you are trying to propose branched off and started to evolve from whatever it evolved from but even that doesn't make much sense as all life forms have had a continuous evolution going right back to the origins of life. Exactly what period in time are you talking about when you talk about "since evolution began"?

You talked about dinosaurs on Antarctica being less evolved because they evolved with a climate that involves 6 month dark cold winter nights, blah blah. Do you realise that 65 million years ago, when the last of the dinosaurs died out (not really as birds are essentially modern dinosaurs, but you know what I mean), Antarctica was not the ice covered continent situated at the south pole that it is now?

Did you even bother to read up on the geological history of the continent or are you simply declaring it to be true because your latest imaginary monster's made-up evolutionary history requires it to be true? Adding "imv" to invented facts doesn't help your cause. Scientists have being studying the geology and history of Antarctica for quite a while and quite a bit is known about it, therefore you can't simply declare a continent to have been where you wanted it to be when you wanted it to be there in your view. Facts don't change because in your view you imagine something else to be true.

How dare you try to cloud his insane imagination with your dirty facts.

Why exactly are you talking about a bird/reptile (still not clear about which you think this is) and you show a picture of a plane?

The microraptor shown in my avatar is the origin species of our modern birds. They were tree gliders which evolved true flight ability. The continents were once connected, and these first flyers were on every continent we now have. I'm suggesting that the *unique* Antarctic position had 6 months of darkness and cold which led to a unique survival strategy for one of these flyers. Very low speed gliding just using the feet for propulsion, the wings left outstretched for maximum lift. If a shark or predator fish lept out of the water to catch the bird, the wings would come down in a super-fast time so that it could escape directly overhead. The rest is history.

If the wings beat fast enough then a cloud of water droplets will form. Coincidence?

The microraptor shown in my avatar is the origin species of our modern birds. They were tree gliders which evolved true flight ability. The continents were once connected, and these first flyers were on every continent we now have. I'm suggesting that the *unique* Antarctic position had 6 months of darkness and cold which led to a unique survival strategy for one of these flyers. Very low speed gliding just using the feet for propulsion, the wings left outstretched for maximum lift. If a shark or predator fish lept out of the water to catch the bird, the wings would come down in a super-fast time so that it could escape directly overhead. The rest is history.

If the wings beat fast enough then a cloud of water droplets will form. Coincidence?

1) At the time these microraptor things were around Antarctica wasn't in the position it's in now

2) NEVER in the history of life on earth has it been shown ANYTHING uses it's feet to fly

3) Are you trying to say wings of a plane just beat super fast and that's where the water droplets in that pointless photo are coming from?

tailormaneinafog's creatures are all amazing for evolving things that nothing else has ever evolved.

Birds, insects, pterosaurs and bats all evolved flight that uses flapping wings, but his creatures use super-duper fast flapping webbed feet or jet propulsion or whatever for supersonic flight, and he knows this, despite having never seen the creature in question and despite no-one studying the creature to figure out how it flies.

The fastest known birds can fly in level flight at c. 100mph. The fastest known speed for birds is 200+mph fo a peregrine falcon, when in a dive (i.e. with gravity to help it come down really fast). What tailormaneinafog is suggesting is a bird that can fly at supersonic speeds (that's over 750 mph) upwards, against gravity. Ludicrous!

And all based on extreme extrapolation from various eye-witness reports and sketches from all over the world that describe all sorts of different flying creatures.

Wouldn't those speeds do damage to a bird?

The dinosaurs remains are renowned for being 'less developed' than dinosaurs of the other continents due to the 6 months of darkness that they had to endure.
Can I get a source for this? I can't find anything via Google that suggests that dinosaur remains in Antarctica are "less developed" than others, nevermind being "renowned" for being so.

It sounds like something you just made up.

I cant understand where you get that they were less well adapted than any other species, and Im sure if such a strategy was so successful in these areas, let alone viable that if would have evolved in other species Antarctic dinosaurs

I'm nearly waiting for them to end up as aliens that arrived on his darkmatter comet sent by a race of spacehyraxes

Okay, let's have some fun with numbers.

What's being proposed is a giant flying creature that can flap it's wings so fast, the wings can break the sound barrier, allowing said fantastical creature to evade sharks jumping out of the water to try and eat it (do sharks ever do that?).

Let's take a guess and imagine that from the distance from the top of the wingbeat to the bottom is 10ft (3m) and that's being generous as the largest known flying birds have a wingspan of approximately that distance and thus would have a much shorter distance from top to bottom of the wingbeat. This bird/owl/raptor/reptile thing would need to go from a gliding wing that isn't moving at all to a wing travelling at least 770 mph (330m/s) in a distance of 3 meters in order for the wing tips to break the sound barrier.

A back of the envelope calculation reveals that the wing tips would need to accelerate at 18,000 meters per second squared (against air resistance!) to go from zero to the speed of sound in that distance! w00t.gif I wonder what kind of wattage wing muscles would need to generate to generate that! It's clear Mr.-in-a-fog has no idea just how utterly silly the things he's proposing are.

Edited by Archimedes

What's being proposed is a giant flying creature that can flap it's wings so fast, the wings can break the sound barrier, allowing said fantastical creature to evade sharks jumping out of the water to try and eat it (do sharks ever do that?).

Let's take a guess and imagine that from the distance from the top of the wingbeat to the bottom is 10ft (3m) and that's being generous as the largest known flying birds have a wingspan of approximately that distance and thus would have a much shorter distance from top to bottom of the wingbeat. This bird/owl/raptor/reptile thing would need to go from a gliding wing that isn't moving at all to a wing travelling at least 770 mph (330m/s) in a distance of 3 meters in order for the wing tips to break the sound barrier.

A back of the envelope calculation reveals that the wing tips would need to accelerate at 18,000 meters per second squared (against air resistance!) to go from zero to the speed of sound in that distance! w00t.gif I wonder what kind of wattage wing muscles would need to generate to generate that! It's clear Mr.-in-a-fog has no idea just how utterly silly the things he's proposing are.

Awww, don't bring in science or math. It ruins the whole crypto vibe. :cry:

I cant understand where you get that they were less well adapted than any other species, and Im sure if such a strategy was so successful in these areas, let alone viable that if would have evolved in other species Antarctic dinosaurs

The wikipedia page you need to read is South Polar dinosaurs
The South Polar dinosaurs proliferated during the Early Cretaceous (145-100 Ma) while the continent of Australia was still linked to Antarctica to form East Gondwana, a continent that had rifted from Africa and drifted southward. Much of this southern continent lay inside the Antarctic Circle, and the climate there was unlike any that exists today. This led to fauna and flora that were unique to the time. Much of what is known about the fauna of Polar Australia comes from fossil beds found in Dinosaur Cove and Flat Rocks on the Victorian coast of southeast Australia.
These studies show that during the Cretaceous there were no polar ice caps, and forests would have extended all the way to the South Pole, and life could have flourished there during the summer. However, the Earth's axial tilt means that the regions inside the Antarctic circle would still have experienced a polar night: a period of sunless darkness and cold of up to six months, during which only the hardiest life forms could survive. This combination of a habitable terrain with a long polar night is an ecological circumstance that has no present day analogue.
Mammals, including monotremes and possible placentals, have been found, and fragmentary remains of flying pterosaurs. The teeth of plesiosaurs (long-necked fish-eating reptiles) have also been found, suggesting that they lived in the rivers of Gondwana. Lungfish and possible crocodile teeth have also been found; both taxa are associated with distinctly non-polar conditions today, which further confuses our understanding of the climatic conditions of these fossil localities.

Dinosaur fossils are rare in Australia, but dinosaurs found in the Victorian deposits include relics of the Jurassic period, such as a relative of Allosaurus, ornithomimosaurs, ankylosaurs, and hypsilophodont- like dinosaurs, the commonest and most diverse group found thus far. The hypsilophodont-like dinosaurs provide a clue to the habits of the dinosaurs that lived in these polar environments: one skull is interpreted as having 'large eyes', and casts of the brain of one individual has been interpreted as showing enlarged optic lobes. This interpretation has been used as a supporting argument for the theory that these dinosaurs may have had acute night vision; if this were the case it may suggest that the hypsilophodont-like dinosaurs may have lived in the polar areas for most if not all of the year, including the weeks or months-long polar night.

Note that the majority of information we have is from fossils of SE Australia and not Antarctica itself! Incidentally, I believe that the corrosive effect of rainwater and the ocean currnets made channels between the continents which sperated them and *NOT* continental drift. There's *NO* real evidence for plate techtonics if you look at the evidence with a critical eye. (Did water create itself on Earth at this time, or was it all deposited by icey comets??)

No, no, no! The wings would move at the shoulder joint in a cyclic motion, not just a fixed flapping motion. The muscles and wing tips only need to move at a speed of around 770mph. This translates to a flight body speed of the same value if the reaction force against the air medium is indeed at a maximum.

I'm proposing a new kind of shoulder joint for this species of microraptor (or pterosaur perhaps). I'll scan my explanatory sketches tomorrow hopefully.

No, no, no! The wings would move at the shoulder joint in a cyclic motion, not just a fixed flapping motion. The muscles and wing tips only need to move at a speed of around 770mph. This translates to a flight body speed of the same value if the reaction force against the air medium is indeed at a maximum.

I'm proposing a new kind of shoulder joint for this species of microraptor (or pterosaur perhaps). I'll scan my explanatory sketches tomorrow hopefully.

I will bet it will look like a helicopter, lol.

tailormaneinafog's creatures are all amazing for evolving things that nothing else has ever evolved.

Birds, insects, pterosaurs and bats all evolved flight that uses flapping wings, but his creatures use super-duper fast flapping webbed feet or jet propulsion or whatever for supersonic flight, and he knows this, despite having never seen the creature in question and despite no-one studying the creature to figure out how it flies.

The fastest known birds can fly in level flight at c. 100mph. The fastest known speed for birds is 200+mph fo a peregrine falcon, when in a dive (i.e. with gravity to help it come down really fast). What tailormaneinafog is suggesting is a bird that can fly at supersonic speeds (that's over 750 mph) upwards, against gravity. Ludicrous!

And all based on extreme extrapolation from various eye-witness reports and sketches from all over the world that describe all sorts of different flying creatures.

You need to broaden your horizons. Bats have the fastest muscles of all mammals
Researchers at the University of Southern Denmark have now found the reason why the bat is such a good hunter. Extremely fast muscles in the bat’s larynx can contract 200 times a second, and it emits a sound every time. These muscles are the fastest muscles ever found in mammals.

“The bat’s super-quick muscles are 100 times faster than the muscles that humans use when blinking,” says Assistant Professor Coen Elemans of the Institute of Biology at the University of Southern Denmark, who led the research. “These muscles are still 20 times slower than the muscles in the bat’s larynx.”

“When we find extremely quick muscles in several different animal species that are only distantly related, we must ask ourselves: have super-quick muscles been developed individually several times? Or were these muscles developed many millions of years ago and subsequently transmitted in several different branches of the animal kingdom?” muses Elemans.

It was the development of super-quick muscles that has made the bat a successful species when the first bats conquered the night sky some 50 million years ago.

At that time the air was filled with insects and nothing ate them. The bats found a niche in the eco-system then, and this resulted in an explosion in the number of bats.

An avian in Antartica achieved the same feat imo!

What the...?

What you just posted has nothing to do with huge flying creature being able to fly or beat their wings at 800mph. What you just posted was about tiny specialised muscles in a bat that allow it to echolocate insects.

The creature you are proposing has not "achieved the same feat" because you aren't proposing it has specialised fast muscles for creating tiny sound pulses - you are talking about specialised fast muscles that allow a creature to fly at 800 miles per hour! There's no comparison between the two! That's like me claiming that I can bench press 100kg 200 times in a minute and when asked for evidence pointing out that I can blink 200 times in a minute.

Very small flying creatures can flap their wings very fast for simple reasons.

If you take a small flying creature like a hummingbird and scale it upwards, if you make it 10 times wider and 10 times longer, it can generate 100 times as much lift because that's how much the wing surface area goes up by. However, it now has to lift 1000 times the weight because when you scale up a 3d object, the surface area goes up by the square of the amount you scale it, but the volume (and therefore the weight) goes up by the cube of the amount you scale it. The muscles would need to be 10 times more efficient in order to achieve the same effect.

That's why insects and hummingbirds can hover by beating their wings really fast. It's also why large flying creatures like eagles and albatrosses do a lot of gliding with minimal wing beats or beat their wings relatively slow compared with much smaller flying creatures. There are no known large flying animals that can beat their wings like crazy at 800 miles per hour and that's for very simple reasons to do with basic physics.