Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A hypothetical grid of invisible lines

Karlis

"The Great Pyramid at Giza happens to be on a great intersection of ley lines, and Sedona, Arizona is too," says Elise Eagle, "and so is Garden of the Gods.There are some places on the planet that are actually more attractive, because these ships actually use this grid to maneuver. arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir Wearer of Hats

• RightInTheStatisticals

• questionmark

• kmt_sesh

Is there any reliable way to detect ley lines?

how can you detect something that doesn't exist?

The link appears to be broken, Karlis - I get a "503 Service Unavailable" error when trying to connect.

As for 'ley lines', I'd be open to some sort of phenomenon based perhaps on the relative locations of gravitic anomalies on the planet's surface (i.e. very weak spatial distortions that are just detectable to some through the sense of balance, giving them a 'weird' feeling), but I would not grant such a phenomenon 'mystical' status.

Since I have been reading UM, I have come to new respect for the ability of the human mind for imagination and its desire to see patterns in everything. I had no idea what a 'ley line' was until I just googled it now (wiki link). It seems akin to the nonsense about attributing a random layout of hills on Mars to an actual alien city (link) or the ancient canals theorized years before that (link).

People like to imagine that when they see what they think is a pattern (even if there truely is one) that there has to be a greater meaning to. This is in no way a bad thing as its a driving force of science in general. However a side effect is stuff like 'ley lines'.

tl;dr - human imagaination sometimes goes wild, not all patterns have a relvent meaning.

//Link doesn't seem to work; I get a maintenance message.

I'm not sure the concept of "ley lines" was even understood to ancient peoples. I think it's in the realm of New Agers, who can be very deep thinkers but to the point that reality has slipped over the horizon for them.

I'm not sure the concept of "ley lines" was even understood to ancient peoples. I think it's in the realm of New Agers, who can be very deep thinkers but to the point that reality has slipped over the horizon for them.

Now, now....

But to the theme itself, the concept has been debunked so many times that it is not even a source of amusement anymore. Why does it keep popping up?

Now, now....

But to the theme itself, the concept has been debunked so many times that it is not even a source of amusement anymore. Why does it keep popping up?

Well, specifically, it looks like Chet Hardin at the Colorado Springs Independent was assigned a news filler piece.

On a more general note, because people are stubborn and have to be right?

Watkins never attributed any supernatural significance to leys; he believed that they were simply pathways that had been used for trade or ceremonial purposes, very ancient in origin, possibly dating back to the Neolithic, certainly pre-Roman. His obsession with leys was a natural outgrowth of his interest in landscape photography and love of the British countryside. He was an intensely rational person with an active intellect, and I think he would be a bit disappointed with some of the fringe aspects of ley lines today".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line

Would be pretty cool if there actually was some sort of unknown force that the ancients knew of that we simply do not know how to detect yet. However, a fringe idea which was imagined by charlatans.

Another thing about Watkins. When he had drew up some of his "maps" of leys, they were basically going in all directions due to the amount of ancient sites. It's completely absurd to think that all ancient sites would be attributed to this concept. Perhaps a few, but all of them? That's where the idea falls flat, well it fell flat when it was imagined actually!

But I can draw a line from my house to the White House (a long line for sure) or anywhere else in the globe.

But I can draw a line from my house to the White House (a long line for sure) or anywhere else in the globe.

There are govt buildings all over the world that are constructed on cardinal points and connected on lie lines,of course this knowledge is kept secret by dubious international agencies bent on world domination.jmccr8

If Ley lines are associated with getting leyed, then please pass me the chalk.

Harte

There are govt buildings all over the world that are constructed on cardinal points and connected on lie lines,of course this knowledge is kept secret by dubious international agencies bent on world domination.jmccr8

Kept so secret everyone who can log onto the internet can see it?

Brilliant secret keeping there sinister international cabal!

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly... just draw a load of lines connecting every ancient structure on the world and then make up some crap about mystical powers.

Ley lines are theoretical alignments of 'ancient sites' across the landscape, they would most certainly not form a grid pattern. Someone is getting their spirit paths and energy grids mixed up.