Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Archived]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood

Riaan

ka shimeer = water desicate

drying up of the water

it probably was an extraordinary or rare thing to happen in the way it did.

Land desicated from water, in fact, is the basis to all Primordial Mound myths. The mound of land appears from the water as it dries up.

--------------

According to folk etymology, the name "Kashmir" means "desiccated land" (from the Sanskrit: Ka = water and shimeera = desiccate). In the Rajatarangini, a history of Kashmir written by Kalhana in the mid-12th century, it is stated that the valley of Kashmir was formerly a lake. According to Hindu mythology, the lake was drained by the great rishi or sage, Kashyapa, son of Marichi, son of Brahma, by cutting the gap in the hills at Baramulla (Varaha-mula). When Kashmir had been drained, Kashyapa asked Brahmans to settle there. This is still the local tradition, and in the existing physical condition of the country, we may see some ground for the story which has taken this form. The name of Kashyapa is by history and tradition connected with the draining of the lake, and the chief town or collection of dwellings in the valley was called Kashyapa-pura, which has been identified with Kaspapyros of Hecataeus (apud Stephanus of Byzantium) and Kaspatyros of Herodotus (3.102, 4.44).[1] Kashmir is also believed to be the country meant by Ptolemy's Kaspeiria.[2]

Cashmere is an archaic spelling of Kashmir, and in some countries it is still spelled this way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Kashmir

I think you should have added this part also:

As a result of the hero's actions, the people named the valley as "Kashyap-Mar", meaning abode of Kashyap, and "Kashyap-Pura", meaning city of Kashyap, in Sanskrit. The name "Kashmir," in Sanskrit, implies land desiccated from water: "ka" (the water) and shimeera (to desiccate). The ancient Greeks began referring to the region as "Kasperia".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashmir#Etymology

Combine that with what you quoted:

Kashyapa-pura, which has been identified with Kaspapyros of Hecataeus (apud Stephanus of Byzantium) and Kaspatyros of Herodotus (3.102, 4.44).[1] Kashmir is also believed to be the country meant by Ptolemy's Kaspeiria.

...and you might get the idea that the oldest and original name was something like "Kashappera".

"Kashmir" is then a later name that evolved from the original name, and it had a nice and fitting Sanskrit etymology with which to explain this later name.

I think you should have added this part also:

As a result of the hero's actions, the people named the valley as "Kashyap-Mar", meaning abode of Kashyap, and "Kashyap-Pura", meaning city of Kashyap, in Sanskrit. The name "Kashmir," in Sanskrit, implies land desiccated from water: "ka" (the water) and shimeera (to desiccate). The ancient Greeks began referring to the region as "Kasperia".

http://en.wikipedia....shmir#Etymology

Combine that with what you quoted:

Kashyapa-pura, which has been identified with Kaspapyros of Hecataeus (apud Stephanus of Byzantium) and Kaspatyros of Herodotus (3.102, 4.44).[1] Kashmir is also believed to be the country meant by Ptolemy's Kaspeiria.

...and you might get the idea that the oldest and original name was something like "Kashappera".

"Kashmir" is then a later name that evolved from the original name, and it had a nice and fitting Sanskrit etymology with which to explain this later name.

Interesting. This comes close to an explanation of the name. The Sanskrit word ka could also be recognised in Kaspian sea.

Otharus, you noticed that some parts of the OLB has shorter sentences or parts of sentences, so more compact than others. This would be interesting. In fact each book, letter, note, last will, etc. should have its own profile with differences in subject, style, wording, length of sentences, grammar, spelling etc. as they are supposed to have been written by different persons (males, females, high rank, lower rank) and in different times. It has been mentioned, that the end of the book differs in this respect from the first books, but the matter has not been studied yet. Let's find out.

If you look at the letter of the geertman Ljudgert (MS 163 r. 10 - MS 168 r. 19) you find different words (PRESTAR in stead of PRESTERA) and spellings OLLERWECHS in stead of ALLERWEIKES, etc., showing elements of the Groningian* dialect. like a = oa.

*I have stated before that the GEERTMANNA were no GERMANS, but GRONINGIANS, the city GRENE-GA (GA - gouw) founded by GEERT. The people derived their name from CARMANIA in the PUNJAB.

MS 163 r. 3 may refer to: HALBERTSMA,J. H., Twigen uwt ien âlde stamme. Utjown troch Dr. E. Halbertsma meioanteikeningen fen J. H. Halbertsma. J. de Lange, Dimter, 1840.

Edited by Knul

Interesting. This comes close to an explanation of the name. The Sanskrit word ka could also be recognised in Kaspian sea.

There is more...

From the OLB:

HAIL TO ALL TRUE FRISIANS

(...)

Sixteen hundred years ago, Atland was submerged; and at that time something happened which nobody had reckoned upon. In the heart of Findasland, upon a mountain, lies a plain called Kasamyr (Cashmere) that is “rare.” There was a child born whose mother was the daughter of a king, and whose father was a high-priest.

(...)

His first name was Jes-us (pronounced: Yes-us), but the priests, who hated him, called him Fo, that is, false; the people called him Kris-en, that is, shepherd; and his Frisian friend called him Bûda, because he had in his head a treasure of wisdom, and in his heart a treasure of love.

http://oeralinda.angelfire.com/#br

As you will know, every supporter of the OLB stresses the fact that this Jes-us cannot be Jesus Christ because he lived more than 2000 years after Jes-us.

But read about Jesus in Kashmir, Srinagar:

(...)

The word yuz means leader. Thus, Yuz Asaph became a common reference to Jesus as “leader of the healed.”

(...)

Other records and place names that relate to Jesus point to his presence in Afghanistan and Pakistan. The Acts of Thomas describe the journey of Jesus and Thomas in Pakistan (then Taxila) at the court of King Gundafor in the 26th year of his rule, which would be about 47 CE.

http://www.tombofjesus.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=154:visiting-the-grave-of-jesus-in-srinagar-kashmir&catid=1

I have always been fascinated by this story.

So, according to a very ancient tradition, a "Yuz Asaph" lived in Kashmir, and many are convinced it was no one else but Jesus Christ.

And I hope you read the name of that city (or area) I already posted about days ago: Taxila (Texel < Texla < Texland?).

Some very creative minds have been at work here...

Edited by Abramelin

I know, it is hard to find. Maybe it helps to find KRIS-EN - ÐÆT IS HERDER, which should be the same language (or again Volney). The names of Fot, Boedha and Krishna occur in Volney and I found, that Halbertsma might have used the Dutch translation of the book, but it is not on his booklist. It's the same book that occurs on the booklist of Cornelis over de Linden, both in French and Dutch. s. Volney, Aantekeningen p. 248 ad p. 140 (60). All agree that Krisna, Fot and Jezus have completely the same characteristics. It is associated with the occult religion of Mithra.

< CHOP >

KRIS-EN - ÐÆT IS HERDER

Kris-en - dat is herder

Kris-en - that is shepherd.

Jesus (Christ) was also known as the 'Shepherd', right?

Somehow I don't think using either Urdu, Tamil, Sanskrit, Old-Frisian, Hindi or whatever language, will give us a real translation of KASAMYR or KRIS-EN.

And maybe KRIS-EN is nothing but.... KRISTEN, or "Christian" (in Dutch: Christen).

kri-st-en

http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/altfriesischeswoerterbuch/afries-K.pdf

+++++++

Of course, the obvious similarity with "Krishna" has made many believe KRIS-EN = Krishna.

The name Krishna doesn't mean "shepherd", but he sure is associated with 'shepherds' or 'herders' :

Krishna is also known by various other names, epithets and titles, which reflect his many associations and attributes. Among the most common names are Mohan "enchanter of women or cowherdesses", Govinda, "finder of cows", or Gopala, "protector of cows", which refer to Krishna's childhood in Vraja.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krishna

Edited by Abramelin

'shepherds' or 'herders'

cool... I never saw that before, although it's totally obvious:

shepherd = sheep-herd (dutch: schaap-herder)

The word Caspian is derived from the name of the Caspi (Persian: کاسپی‎), ancient people who lived to the south-west of the sea in Transcaucasia.[20] Strabo wrote that "to the country of the Albanians belongs also the territory called Caspiane, which was named after the Caspian tribe, as was also the sea; but the tribe has now disappeared".[21] Moreover, the Caspian Gates, which is the name of a region in Tehran province of Iran, is another possible piece of evidence that they migrated to the south of the sea. The Iranian city Qazvin shares the root of its name with that of the sea. In fact, the traditional Islamic name for the sea itself is, Bahr al-Qazwin (Sea of Qazvin).[22]

In classical antiquity among Greeks and Persians it was called the Hyrcanian Ocean.[23] In Persian antiquity, as well as in modern Iran, it is known as the mazandaran sea (Persian: مازندران‎). Among Indians it was called Kashyap Sagar. In Turkic speaking countries it is known as the Khazar Sea. Old Russian sources call it the Khvalyn (Khvalynian) Sea (Хвалынское море /Хвалисское море) after the Khvalis, inhabitants of Khwarezmia. Ancient Arabic sources refer to as Baḥr Gilan (Arabic: بحر جیلان‎ - the Caspian/Gilan Sea).

Turkic languages use a consistent nomenclature that is different from the Indo-European languages above. For instance, in Turkmen, the name is Hazar deňizi, in Azeri, it's Xəzər dənizi, and in modern Turkish, it's Hazar denizi. In all these cases, the second word simply means "sea", and the first word refers to the historical Khazars who had a large empire based to the North of the Caspian Sea between the 7th and 10th centuries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspian_Sea

----------------------------------------------

Kashmir from Skt. Kashypamara "land of Kashyap," said to be the name of a renowned sage. Related: Kashmiri.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Kashmir&allowed_in_frame=0

As a result of the hero's actions, the people named the valley as "Kashyap-Mar", meaning abode of Kashyap, and "Kashyap-Pura", meaning city of Kashyap, in Sanskrit

Edited by The Puzzler

LOL, I was about to respond to a post by RobJack007 or something (looked very on-topic but a bit cryptic), to discover his post (and a few others on this board) was deleted.

Damn, he had me fooled.

No slave of another, nor of his ...?

(an unripe train of thoughts, but I can't wait to share some of it... more to come!)

Whether you believe that the OLB was concocted in the 19th century, or that is is authentic, the following is one of the key fragments, yet the existing translations are questionable:

[011/15]

THÉRA ALLÉNA MÉI IK AS FRY KÀNNA

THÉR NÉN SLÁF IS FON ÉN ÔTHER

NI FON SINE TOCHTA

[Ottema 1876, p.19]

hem alleen mag ik als vrij erkennen

die geen slaaf is van een ander

noch van zijne driften

[Jensma 2006, p.93]

die alleen kan ik als Fries [!] kennen

noch van zijn hartstochten

[sandbach 1876, p.19]

him only can I recognise as free

who is neither a slave to another

nor to himself [his ...?]

[Raubenheimer 2011, p.330]

nor to his own passions

[Wirth 1933, p.17]

nur den allein mag ich als freien anerkennen,

der kein Sklave ist eines anderen,

noch seiner eigenen Leidenschaften (=> passions)

##################################

This is what the pre-OLB Oldfrisian dictionaries say:

Wiarda (1786) under "thinzia" (to think):

Tocht = der Gedanke.

'Ende openberia da tochten der Herten' = und offenbare die Gedanken der Herzen

-> Thought (english)

tochtwiarda.jpg

=> According to Wiarda "tocht" is "thought", and "hartstocht" (passion) is actually "hearts-thought"!

Hettema (1832)

Tocht = gedachte => thought

tochtHettema.jpg

Richthofen (1840)

tocht = zucht, tuchte => passion, discipline (dutch: tocht, tucht, zucht)

tochta = gedanke => thought (dutch: gedachte)

tochtRichthofen.jpg

Edited by Otharus

No slave of another, nor of his ...?

(an unripe train of thoughts, but I can't wait to share some of it... more to come!)

Whether you believe that the OLB was concocted in the 19th century, or that is is authentic, the following is one of the key fragments, yet the existing translations are questionable:

[011/15]

THÉRA ALLÉNA MÉI IK AS FRY KÀNNA

THÉR NÉN SLÁF IS FON ÉN ÔTHER

NI FON SINE TOCHTA

[Ottema 1876, p.19]

hem alleen mag ik als vrij erkennen

noch van zijne driften

[Jensma 2006, p.93]

die alleen kan ik als Fries [!] kennen

noch van zijn hartstochten

[sandbach 1876, p.19]

nor to himself [his ...?]

[Raubenheimer 2011, p.330]

nor to his own passions

[Wirth 1933, p.17]

nur den allein mag ich als freien anerkennen,

der kein Sklave ist eines anderen,

noch seiner eigenen Leidenschaften (=> passions)

##################################

This is what the pre-OLB Oldfrisian dictionaries say:

Wiarda (1786) under "thinzia" (to think):

Tocht = der Gedanke.

'Ende openberia da tochten der Herten' = und offenbare die Gedanken der Herzen

-> Thought (english)

tochtwiarda.jpg

=> According to Wiarda "tocht" is "thought", and "hartstocht" (passion) is actually "hearts-thought"!

Hettema (1832)

Tocht = gedachte => thought

tochtHettema.jpg

Richthofen (1840)

tocht = zucht, tuchte => passion, discipline (dutch: tocht, tucht, zucht)

tochta = gedanke => thought (dutch: gedachte)

tochtRichthofen.jpg

I can add Koebler: thoch-t-a 8, afries., sw. M. (n): nhd. Gedächtnis, Gedanke; ne. memory, thought (N.); Hw.: s. for-a-thoch-t; vgl. an. þætti; Q.: H, S, W, E, AA 151; E.: s. thank-a; L.: Hh 111b, Rh 1089a, AA 150 .

So gedachte (tought) would be the best translation..

There is more...

From the OLB:

HAIL TO ALL TRUE FRISIANS

(...)

Sixteen hundred years ago, Atland was submerged; and at that time something happened which nobody had reckoned upon. In the heart of Findasland, upon a mountain, lies a plain called Kasamyr (Cashmere) that is “rare.” There was a child born whose mother was the daughter of a king, and whose father was a high-priest.

(...)

His first name was Jes-us (pronounced: Yes-us), but the priests, who hated him, called him Fo, that is, false; the people called him Kris-en, that is, shepherd; and his Frisian friend called him Bûda, because he had in his head a treasure of wisdom, and in his heart a treasure of love.

http://oeralinda.angelfire.com/#br

As you will know, every supporter of the OLB stresses the fact that this Jes-us cannot be Jesus Christ because he lived more than 2000 years after Jes-us.

But read about Jesus in Kashmir, Srinagar:

(...)

The word yuz means leader. Thus, Yuz Asaph became a common reference to Jesus as “leader of the healed.”

(...)

Other records and place names that relate to Jesus point to his presence in Afghanistan and Pakistan. The Acts of Thomas describe the journey of Jesus and Thomas in Pakistan (then Taxila) at the court of King Gundafor in the 26th year of his rule, which would be about 47 CE.

http://www.tombofjes...kashmir&catid=1

I have always been fascinated by this story.

So, according to a very ancient tradition, a "Yuz Asaph" lived in Kashmir, and many are convinced it was no one else but Jesus Christ.

And I hope you read the name of that city (or area) I already posted about days ago: Taxila (Texel < Texla < Texland?).

Some very creative minds have been at work here...

Hindos believe in reincarnation of their religious teachers (priests). So the author may have extraplolated to an earlier Christ with the same characteristics.

Hindos believe in reincarnation of their religious teachers (priests). So the author may have extraplolated to an earlier Christ with the same characteristics.

I know they do, and the one witing the OLB must have known about it too.

No way hosay, this Jes-Us is no one else but the Jesus Christ we all know of.

There are too many coincidences...

You will remember the 'sermon' by Gosa? It's like reading the Bible.

A dilettante's attempt to make sense.

In modern Dutch, the word "tocht" can have different meanings:

- journey, trek, trip

- draught, draft, breeze

- lust to mate (copulate), mostly used for cows (Westfrisian dictionary)

As we saw, in Oldfrisian it could also mean:

- thought (noun; in the Westfrisian dialect the past tense of the verb 'to think' is "docht")

- passion (lust in general, still commonly used in "hartstocht")

- discipline ("tucht" in modern Dutch)

In the OLB, the word-root TOCHT appears 34 times, and varieties: THOCHT 2x, THOGT 1x => total 37 times.

In 8 of these 37 fragments, the meaning is obviously: journey, trek, trip

[004/32] MÀN MOT TÁLA HJAM [...] WRA FÀRA SÉ.TOCHTA

[028/16] SIN THÉR VPPA TOCHT VMKUME SA MOTON HJARA NÉSTUN. HJARA DÉL ERVA

[053/12] UT THESSE TOCHTE IS THJU SKÉDNESE FON WODIN BERN

[073/32] HJU MACHTE FRYA UTTOCHTE

[085/23] THA GRÁTE FLÁTE WÉRE VPPEN FÉRE TOCHT ÚT

[121/31] THI TOCHT HLIP SVNDER FARDÉL TO.N.ENDE

[122/25] HI NE THVRADE SIN TOCHT NAVT VRFATA

[123/23] I SKILE JET.EN LITHGE TOCHT TO SINRA WILLE DVAN

In seven cases, it is used in the combination LIF-TOCHTA, meaning: victuals, provisions, food for during travelling. In these seven as well as the above eight, "tocht" would be derived from a word that we discussed recently; "tijgen" (past: toog, perfect: getogen).

The asparagus in me insists on listing these seven, before I continue.

[029/02] SAHWERSA EN MÉNTE EN FLÀTE TO RÉTH. MOTON THA RÉDAR NJVDA FÁRA BESTE LIF.TOCHTUN

[057/09] HIR SELLADON HJA ALLERHANNE LIF.TOCHTA

[080/06] BROCHTON HJA HJARA AJNE WÉPNE ÀND LIFTOCHTA WÉI

[080/13] THATET FORMA SKIP MITH LIFTOCHTA FONA KÁD FÁREN WAS

[125/03] FORTH GVNGON WI SALT-ÁTHA LIFTOCHTA ÀND WÉPNE FÁRA

[125/26] THÉR HINNE BROCHTON WI SINA SALT.ÁTHA ÁND LIFTOCHTA VVR

... to be continued (22 more to go).

Edited by Otharus

I have heard or read once or twice, that the main reason why many Nordics accepted Christianity eventually, is that they believed that Christ was just another reincarnation of Odin.

Most of the fairytales are simply recycled over and over again anyway (like birth on 25 december, virgin birth, etc. => see "Zeitgeist" movie).

Edited by Otharus

What about "deugd" (which is a word that sounds very much like "tocht"), or 'virtue' in English?

Just adding.

What about "deugd" (which is a word that sounds very much like "tocht"), or 'virtue' in English?

I don't know.

In OLB that is spelled DÜGED, plural DÜGEDON, see page 10, line 2 and 6.

From DO-GOOD??

That's exactly what I think.

And I have heard or read once or twice, that the main reason why many Nordics accepted Christianity eventually, is that they believed that Christ was just another reincarnation of Odin.

Most of the fairytales are simply recycled over and over again anyway (like birth on 25 december, virgin birth, etc. => see "Zeitgeist" movie).

I have waited and waited, and didn't want to post this.

But "Baha'uddin" is Turkish/Arab(???) for the 'glow/light of religion'.

Bahauddin... Buddha/Odin?? How old is that name, "Bahauddin"?? These Turks, or "Aryans" if you want to call them, invaded India long ago.

I read a lot about the writings of Bahauddin Naqshband, a Sufi saint, scholar and scientist, and one of the most intelligent people of medieval history.

Edited by Abramelin

In the OLB, the word-root TOCHT appears 34 times, and varieties: THOCHT 2x, THOGT 1x => total 37 times.

In eight of these 37 fragments, the meaning is obviously: journey, trek, trip

In seven cases, it is used in the combination LIF-TOCHTA, meaning: victuals, provisions, food for during travelling.

Furthermore, there are eleven fragments in which TOCHT, THOCHT, THOGT are obviously related to thinking (past tense).

Specially note VN.ÀFTER.TOCHTLIKA => 'un-after-thouht-like' (unsuspicious).

[039/28] THA HÉRA BILÉVON WELDA NÉI THAT IR GOD THOCHTE

[066/06] JAHWEDER TOCHTE THÀT HJU INNA LOGHA OMKVMA MOSTE

[071/01] TILTHJU HJA TOCHTON THAT EN FORSTENE WÉRE

[079/23] VPPA MÉNA ACHT TOCHTE MÀN AL ÉN

[102/17] ÁK NE MÉI NÉN MÀNNISKA NAVT NE SEDSA IK THÀNK. MEN BLÁT IK THOCHTE

[105/03] THISSA WROCHTON ÀND TOCHTON TO SÉMINE

[126/09] HI THOGTE THÀT.IM ELLA FRY STVNDE

[144/28] HWAND TOCHT IK NV WI NÉNE MODER LÔNGER NAVT NÀVE [...]

[153/02] THES DÉIS VRSKALKTH.I THÉR SINA VN.ÀFTER.TOCHTLIKA FRJUNDA IN

[206/05] THÀ IK THÉR ÀFTERNÉI VR NÉI TOCHTE

[207/31] MÀN TOCHTE THÀT.ET ÉTA ÀND DRINKA VRJYVEN WÉRE

... to be continued (ofcourse I saved the best for last, eleven more!).

I read a lot about the writings of Bahauddin Naqshband, a Sufi saint, scholar and scientist, and one of the most intelligent people of medieval history.

Fascinating!

It's bedtime for me.

More tomorrow.

Thanks and good night.

I don't know.

In OLB that is spelled DÜGED, plural DÜGEDON, see page 10, line 2 and 6.

From DO-GOOD??

If you accept that the OLB is a family chronicle spanning a couple of thousand years, then you will also have to accept that the language thse people used changed over time.

Fascinating!

It's bedtime for me.

More tomorrow.

Thanks and good night.

Sleep well, Otharus.

Edited by Abramelin

Example of rude Westfrisian wordplay

I found the following expression in the dictionary of Westfrisian (NH) dialect by Jan Pannekeet (1984), under "denke" (to think):

"Ik docht... jij dochte... jij dochte niks! Je dochters benne hoerekindere, die loupe in Den Haag" - grove reactie en woordspeling aan het adres van iemand die dacht iets op de juiste manier gedaan te hebben.

Translation:

"I thought... you thought... you thought nothing! Your 'daughters' ('thoughters') are whoreschildren, they walk the streets in The Hague" - rude reply and wordplay directed to someone who thought to have done something in the right way

In the beginning of april, I mentioned that in Holland, this is the month of philosophy.

So, let's get philosophical.

Dualism (philosophy of mind)

In philosophy of mind, dualism is the assumption that mental phenomena are, in some respects non-physical, or that the mind and body are distinct. Thus, it encompasses a set of views about the relationship between mind and matter, and is contrasted with other positions, such as physicalism, in the mind–body problem.

[...]

Dualism is closely associated with the philosophy of René Descartes (1641), which holds that the mind is a nonphysical substance. Descartes clearly identified the mind with consciousness and self-awareness and distinguished this from the brain as the seat of intelligence. Hence, he was the first to formulate the mind–body problem in the form in which it exists today. (Wiki)

In the OLB, it seems as if no distinction is made between (conscious) thoughts and (subconscious or instinctive) passions. In other words, no distinction between thoughts of the brain and those of the rest of the body.

The Judeo-Christian tradition, with its programming of guilt-feelings and shame about the body and its natural functions, has resulted in a schizofrenic society, that drugs itself to zombiehood or death, to suppress 'sinfull' passions and thoughts.

In a healthy, whole person (mens sana in corpore sano), conscious mind and subconscious feelings are not in conflict. In other words, thoughts of the brain and thoughts of the heart (or genitals) agree.

Allow me to share a personal thought:

I blame the sick Adam & Eve myth from the Bible (and the interpretation of it by most of past and present priesthoods) for much of nowaday human suffering. Their strategy is "devide and conquer" ~ devide mind and body, to enslave the people.

Here are the last eleven fragments, as promised, with the Ottema and Sandbach translations, as well as an improvised revised one by me.

The "thoughts" in my translations are of the whole mind-body, not only mental or only physical.

Let's think about that one for a while.

[007/16]

HJRA DÉDA WRDON THRVCH HJRA TOCHTA STJVRAT

[Ottema/Sandbach p.15]

hare daden werden door hare driften bestuurd

her actions were governed by her passions

could be:

her deeds were steered through her thoughts

[011/15]

THÉRA ALLÉNA MÉI IK AS FRY KÀNNA THÉR NÉN SLÁF IS FON ÉN ÔTHER NI FON SINE TOCHTA

[Ottema/Sandbach p.19]

hem alleen mag ik als vrij erkennen die geen slaaf is van een ander noch van zijne driften

him only can I recognise as free who is neither a slave to another nor to himself

could be:

... nor to his* thoughts *note: him/his = neutral

[015/25]

ÉR HJU MITH HIRA TOCHTIGE ÁDAMA THÀT LJUCHT BIWLATH

[Ottema/Sandbach p.25]

eer zij met haar tochtige adem het licht verontreinigt

before her passion shall have polluted the light

could be:

before she befouls the light with her horny breath

[017/16]

THÉNE HÉLENER. THÉR MOT SJA JEF ER ÁK BISÉTEN IS FON KVADA TOCHTUM

[Ottema/Sandbach p.27]

den heelmeester, die moet zien of hij ook bezocht is van kwade tochten

a surgeon to see if he is in good health

could be:

the healer, who must see if he is possessed by evil thoughts

[063/11]

THRVCH SIN VNTOCHT ÀND HÁCH.FÁRENHÉD. IS ER VAKEN THENE BÁNA SINRA NÉISTA SIBBA WRDEN

[Ottema/Sandbach p.89]

door zijn ontucht en zijne hoovaardigheid is hij vaak de moordenaar zijner naaste bloedverwanten geworden

in his lewdness and his pride is only fit to murder his nearest relations

could be:

through his debauchery (unthought) and pride, he often became te murderer of his nearest kinsmen

[081/30]

SÁ MOT ALLERA MANNALIK WÁKA OVIR SIN AJNA TOCHTA

[Ottema/Sandbach p.113]

dan moet iedereen waken over zijn eigene hartstochten

everybody must watch over his own passions

could be:

... his* own thoughts *note: his = neutral

[102/20]

HY HETH ORA GÉRTNE. TOCHTA ÀND THÀNKWISA

[Ottema/Sandbach p.141]

Hij heeft andere begeerten, neigingen en denkwijze

he has different desires, inclinations, and thoughts

could be:

he has other desires, thoughts and reasonings

[139/22] 2x

THAHWILA HJA WISTON THÀT JES-US LÉRAD HÉDE THÀT MÀN SINA TOCHTA WELDA ÀND BISTJURA MOSTE.

SÁ LÉRDON HJA THÀT MÀN ALLE SINA TOCHTA DÉJA MOSTE

[Ottema/Sandbach p.189]

Ofschoon zij wisten, dat Jessos geleerd had, dat men zijne hartstochten overmeesteren en besturen moest,

zoo leerden zij dat men alle zijne hartstochten dooden moest

Although they knew that Jessos had taught that men should regulate and control their passions,

they taught that men should stifle their passions

could be:

Although they knew that Yes-us had taught that one must master and direct his* thoughts,

they taught that one must kill all his* thoughts *note: his = neutral

[140/01]

VMB FORTH TO BIWISANE THÀT HIA AL HJARA TOCHTA DÁD HÉDE NAMON HJA NÉNE WIWA

[Ottema/Sandbach p.189]

om voorts te bewijzen, dat zij al hunne zinnelijke lusten gedood hadden, namen zij geene vrouwen

that they had overcome all sensual feelings, they took no wives

could be:

furthermore, to prove that they had killed all their thoughts, they took no wives

[160/09]

NV STEMLÉTH NER GELÁT HJARA BOSA TOCHTA NAVT LONGER MAR VRRÉDON.

NV IS DÜGED FON UT HJARA MIDDEN WÉKEN

[Ottema/Sandbach p.217]

Nu het stamelen en de gelaatskleur hunne booze driften niet meer verrieden,

is de deugd van uit haar midden geweken

Now that stammering and blushing no longer betrayed their evil doings;

—virtue passed away

could be:

Now that stammering nor expression no longer betray their evil thoughts,

now virtue moved out from their midst

mlyn665l.jpg

Edited by Otharus

[011/15]

THÉRA ALLÉNA MÉI IK AS FRY KÀNNA THÉR NÉN SLÁF IS FON ÉN ÔTHER NI FON SINE TOCHTA

[Ottema/Sandbach p.19]

hem alleen mag ik als vrij erkennen die geen slaaf is van een ander noch van zijne driften

him only can I recognise as free who is neither a slave to another nor to himself

could be:

... nor to his* thoughts *note: him/his = neutral

Or, even better:

him* only can I recognise as free, who is neither a slave to another, nor to his* dogma's

( * him/his = neutral)

Edited by Otharus

I have heard or read once or twice, that the main reason why many Nordics accepted Christianity eventually, is that they believed that Christ was just another reincarnation of Odin.

Jesus let himself be nailed to a wooden cross and got stabbed with a spear to finish him off.

This is about Odin:

The generally accepted meaning of Old Norse Yggdrasill is "Odin's horse". This conclusion is drawn on the basis that drasill means "horse" and Ygg® is one of Odin's many names. The Poetic Edda poem Hávamál describes how Odin sacrificed himself by hanging from a tree, making this tree Odin's gallows. This tree may have been Yggdrasil. Gallows can be called "the horse of the hanged" and therefore Odin's gallows may have developed into the expression "Odin's horse", which then became the name of the tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil

In Rúnatal, a section of the Hávamál, Odin is attributed with discovering the runes. In a sacrifice to himself, the highest of the gods, he was hung from the world tree Yggdrasil for nine days and nights, pierced by his own spear, in order to learn the wisdom that would give him power in the nine worlds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odin

Havamal (Words of the High One)

(W H Auden & P B Taylor's Translation of The Havamal)

(...)

Wounded I hung on a wind-swept gallows

For nine long nights,

Pierced by a spear, pledged to Odhinn,

Offered, myself to myself

The wisest know not from whence spring

The roots of that ancient rood.

They gave me no bread,

They gave me no mead,

I looked down;

With a loud cry

I took up the runes;

from that tree I fell.

(...)

http://www.odins-gift.com/pclass/havamalauden.htm

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/odins_magic.html

http://vikingraiders.yolasite.com/rules-regulations.php

http://runichammer.com/index.html

(and don't forget to read the whole text...)