Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alcohol sharpens the mind, research finds

Still Waters

Men who drink two pints of beer before tackling brain teasers perform better than those who attempt the riddles sober, scientists have found.

In findings that will be toasted by pub quiz aficionados, researchers found drinkers got more test questions right and were quicker in delivering the right answers.

It is thought alcohol hinders analytical thinking and allows 'creative' thoughts that might otherwise by stifled to take root, allowing test subjects to come up with more imaginative solutions.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JayMark

• Paracelse

• Still Waters

• BiffSplitkins

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it also make people better drivers?

Quite interesting. I've also noticed that after drinking relatively small quantities of alcohol.

I have been searching a bit on drugs and their effects on consciousness. Very interesting matter. Especially drugs that have been used for a long time in rituals like mescaline, DMT and psylocibin/psylocin.

Peace.

My take on this is that this may have a lot to do with one having a good memory as well.

When drinking, people tend to 'snap' to a decision faster than when not drinking. If you waffle on something too long and add too much logic to the equation then the chances of making the wrong decision may actually be higher.

If you have a good memory and go with your instinctive reaction to questions, I'm guessing the odds of being correct are greater.

I will continue drinking until my I.Q. reaches genius level and I will get back to you all with the correct answer.

-stay thirsty my friends

Edited by BiffSplitkins

I wonder if the scientists had been drinking when they came up with this study.

I wonder if the scientists had been drinking when they came up with this study.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that an interesting conclusion is in the last paragraph.

"The bottom line is that we think being
too focused can blind you to novel possibilities
, and a
broader, more flexible state of attention is needed for creative solutions
to emerge."

Makes sense to me.

What to others think about this?

I don't think that someone who just happen to act without applying the mind thoroughly has a sharpened mind,maybe these researchers "sharpened" their minds before conducting this research.

IMO, drunk folks always *think* they're doing better. Personally, I'm not convinced of this...despite what these particular researchers have concluded. Just sayin' :whistle:

I think that an interesting conclusion is in the last paragraph.

"The bottom line is that we think being
too focused can blind you to novel possibilities
, and a
broader, more flexible state of attention is needed for creative solutions
to emerge."

Makes sense to me.

What to others think about this?

Makes sense to me as well.

IMO, drunk folks always *think* they're doing better. Personally, I'm not convinced of this...despite what these particular researchers have concluded. Just sayin' :whistle:

The OP didn't mention drunk folks, unless they were drunk with a couple of beer (OK add a 3rd and you would get me there but still :P )

They are talking about subjects that have ingested two pints of beer. This is equivalent to about 30-40oz depending if US or UK units.

In other words, I highly doubt that they were drunk.

In low doses, alcohol have been shown to have "stimulant-like" properties among many people including myself.