Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Viking robots found life on Mars in 1976,

this is big, well kind of.

Viking robots found life on Mars in 1976, scientists say

New analysis of 36-year-old data, resuscitated from printouts, shows NASA found life on Mars, an international team of mathematicians and scientists conclude in a paper published this week.

Further, NASA doesn't need a human expedition to Mars to nail down the claim, neuropharmacologist and biologist Joseph Miller, with the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, told Discovery News.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47031923/ns/technology_and_science-science/

just want to ask a question, do you think nasa lies about life in the universe.???

I got a extremly strong feeling I read this about... 5 years ago. They found a bacteria, or remains after one on their equipment that had been to mars. But it diden't recieve more than a small side note in the news. But the question is..

If they did now actually find anything. Is it from Mars? Or is it from Earth?

I think this might have been what Lost_Shamen was talking about on another thread about a month or so ago....I missed the context in which he was talking about it, it intrigued me then, but I hadn't really heard about it before. Thanks for posting it, enjoyable read :tu:

From the article

The method has not yet been proven effective for differentiating between biological and non-biological processes on Earth, so it's premature to draw any conclusions.

I don't think that NASA is necessarily trying to hide anything, but until the results are verified there is really nothing to report... the findings are intriguing, and should more experimentation show that the method used is an effective means of differentiating between biological and non-biological processes I would expect there to be a larger news release of the findings.

Close, but still no cigarr. :angry:

Edited by Hazzard

this is big, well kind of.

Viking robots found life on Mars in 1976, scientists say

New analysis of 36-year-old data, resuscitated from printouts, shows NASA found life on Mars, an international team of mathematicians and scientists conclude in a paper published this week.

Further, NASA doesn't need a human expedition to Mars to nail down the claim, neuropharmacologist and biologist Joseph Miller, with the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, told Discovery News.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47031923/ns/technology_and_science-science/

just want to ask a question, do you think nasa lies about life in the universe.???

"PASADENA, Calif. -- Experiments prompted by a 2008 surprise from NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander suggest that soil examined by NASA's Viking Mars landers in 1976 may have contained carbon-based chemical building blocks of life."

That is a quote from the NASA website here so I doubt they are trying to hide anything.

"PASADENA, Calif. -- Experiments prompted by a 2008 surprise from NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander suggest that soil examined by NASA's Viking Mars landers in 1976 may have contained carbon-based chemical building blocks of life."

That is a quote from the NASA website here so I doubt they are trying to hide anything.

Technology has advanced and the ability to interpret the data they got has improved greatly. I recall when they announced they'd found life then came back and said no we didn't then finally said........"we just don't know." I'm glad they took another look at the data.

so much dumb.never ever can happen this.reason i don't know.But it never can't be.

Does one presume the voyage from earth to mars is sufficient to destroy earth borne bacteria? Or, are we actually in the process of seeding or bio-forming mars with simple robust organisms that might have paralleled the early introduction of life on earth.

People refuse to see that this is how "disclosure" is done. As directed by protocal developed in pre-NASA times by a think tank who was tasked to determine what action would be taken or what/when/how information would be released, should non-terrestrial life, or archeological evidence of it be found in our explorations. The answer was the information would be released gradually.

Remember a few months ago, NASA scientists were saying that rather than watery, earth-like worlds, we may be more likely to find life on dry, seemingly dead desert planets? Disclosure. Remember president Clintons announcement that bacteria had been found in a meteorite allegedly from Mars? Disclosure. The announcements, that they have discovered water on both the moon and Mars? Disclosure. The initial findings of space exploration were everything is a lifeless husk but the Earth. Then they wait a generation or two and release they've found traces of water and bacteria, then in another generation they'll release that the atmosphere of Mars may be slightly more breathable than we initially thought, then another generation finds out they may have discovered traces of insect-like life or maybe small lizards, etc.

I'm saying they've known all of this since the 60's or 70's. Trillions of dollars in black budget money with no need to report how it's spent, I'd be surprised if they didn't already have manned military bases on the moon pointing weapons at our enemies on the earth.

• Like 1

I think this might have been what Lost_Shamen was talking about on another thread about a month or so ago....I missed the context in which he was talking about it, it intrigued me then, but I hadn't really heard about it before. Thanks for posting it, enjoyable read :tu:

Yes, I remember that discussion as well and I think you're right. This is probably the same thing.

People refuse to see that this is how "disclosure" is done. As directed by protocal developed in pre-NASA times by a think tank who was tasked to determine what action would be taken or what/when/how information would be released, should non-terrestrial life, or archeological evidence of it be found in our explorations. The answer was the information would be released gradually.

Remember a few months ago, NASA scientists were saying that rather than watery, earth-like worlds, we may be more likely to find life on dry, seemingly dead desert planets? Disclosure. Remember president Clintons announcement that bacteria had been found in a meteorite allegedly from Mars? Disclosure. The announcements, that they have discovered water on both the moon and Mars? Disclosure. The initial findings of space exploration were everything is a lifeless husk but the Earth. Then they wait a generation or two and release they've found traces of water and bacteria, then in another generation they'll release that the atmosphere of Mars may be slightly more breathable than we initially thought, then another generation finds out they may have discovered traces of insect-like life or maybe small lizards, etc.

I'm saying they've known all of this since the 60's or 70's.

Erm... Disclosure? As in the "ET is visiting us" kind of Disclosure?

Trillions of dollars in black budget money with no need to report how it's spent, I'd be surprised if they didn't already have manned military bases on the moon pointing weapons at our enemies on the earth.

Don't you think mounting a weapon on the moon is rather inefficient if your goal is to attack a location on the surface of the earth? Wouldn't some kind of satellite in closer orbit be a little more effective? Or maybe, oh I dunno, a plane or surface to surface missile?

Erm... Disclosure? As in the "ET is visiting us" kind of Disclosure?

Don't you think mounting a weapon on the moon is rather inefficient if your goal is to attack a location on the surface of the earth? Wouldn't some kind of satellite in closer orbit be a little more effective? Or maybe, oh I dunno, a plane or surface to surface missile?

That is what most people mean when they say disclosure, I think context of what I posted about the disclosure protocals explain what I mean. I may have been exagerating a bit about the weapons part, but then your comment had me thinking, what is the first thing you would want to do in a full scale ICBM war? Take out your enemies ability to see (satelites), we have recently demonstrated our abilities to take out satelites so given that capability by the US do you really think China, Russia, India, Britain, etc. dont have, or are not woking hard on that capability also? So sure, to me the moon as military asset for domination over the earth makes perfect sense.

That is what most people mean when they say disclosure, I think context of what I posted about the disclosure protocals explain what I mean.

Well, you may think the context was sufficient, and I'm sure that it makes perfect sense to you, but I failed to pick up on it, which is why I asked for clarification. Perhaps I am just being obtuse, but I still don't know whether you were talking about the "ET is visiting us" kind of Disclosure. It is a yes or no question. Would you be so kind as to clarify?

I may have been exagerating a bit about the weapons part, but then your comment had me thinking, what is the first thing you would want to do in a full scale ICBM war? Take out your enemies ability to see (satelites), we have recently demonstrated our abilities to take out satelites so given that capability by the US do you really think China, Russia, India, Britain, etc. dont have, or are not woking hard on that capability also? So sure, to me the moon as military asset for domination over the earth makes perfect sense.

Okay.

In my opinion the moon is too far away to be a viable military asset for global domination, but you are welcome to your own opinion.

Cheers.

People refuse to see that this is how "disclosure" is done.

Disclosure as in revealing that what most people on the planet have beleived to be true most of their lives - that Earth is not the only place in the entire universe where life exists - really is true?

Exciting though it might be, it's like revealing that the guy who we saw lap all the other competitors in the race twice won the race ...

Disclosure as in revealing that in fact there not, never has been, and ever will be, any life anywhere else in the universe - now that really would be a mind boggling thing!

But I'm not expecting such disclosure any time soon. Humans just aren't ready to deal with the enormity of what they would truely mean!

Meanwhile, back to Mars, what we have is one group of scientists who on reassessing data from Viking think they have found evidence that, as many have long suspected, micro-organisms dod still exist on the red planet. Though I'm not sure I'm convinced it's conclusive evidence at this stage.

Edited by Essan

To clarify what I meant about disclosure, is that although higher ups may have been aware for some years that there is water, or living bacteria on Mars, they will only let the general public in on that information in very small doses over long periods of time, to minimize the effects on society. I know it seems stupid but I truly believe that is the reason they do this. I can't remember the name of the think tank the US government hired to come up with the protocols but I'm sure someone on UM knows.

Yes, I imagine there would be global chaos if it was revealed that there is water or bacteria on Mars. I would personally be out looting and rioting in the wake of such news.

To clarify what I meant about disclosure, is that although higher ups may have been aware for some years that there is water, or living bacteria on Mars, they will only let the general public in on that information in very small doses over long periods of time, to minimize the effects on society.

What effects?

Why send so many probes there looking for evidence of life is you're not going to announce it if you find it (and are certain you've found it)?

As I say, most people assume there is ife on other worlds. It's if there absolutely isn't life elsewhere that we'd be in shock (along with potentially profound impacts on religion etc as the majority who don't consider Earth to be unique start to wonder and question their long held convictions)

Yes, I imagine there would be global chaos if it was revealed that there is water or bacteria on Mars. I would personally be out looting and rioting in the wake of such news.

I'm not trying to justify thier means of disclosure, I'm just noting how they do it. You are young enough not to have this be traumatic. Remember what happened when War of the Worlds was originally broadcast? People actually killed themselves.

What effects?

Why send so many probes there looking for evidence of life is you're not going to announce it if you find it (and are certain you've found it)?

As I say, most people assume there is ife on other worlds. It's if there absolutely isn't life elsewhere that we'd be in shock (along with potentially profound impacts on religion etc as the majority who don't consider Earth to be unique start to wonder and question their long held convictions)

The key is that now most people assume thereis life on other planets. At one point you could be excomunicated and burned at the stake for making a statement like that. Disclosure done properly seems seamless to those who are being diclosed to.

People panicked during the War of the Worlds broadcast because they were listening to a genuine news report of a malevolent alien force was invading Earth.

Why would people panic because they learn there is bacteria on Mars? There's just no comparison.

People panicked during the War of the Worlds broadcast because they were listening to a genuine news report of a malevolent alien force was invading Earth.

Why would people panic because they learn there is bacteria on Mars? There's just no comparison.

So are you stating that you don't believe that there are protocols in place for gradual disemination of life on other worlds.

I bet they will announce primitive plant life on Mars in the next 15 years.

And yes, people wouldn't panic because they found bacteria. That is the whole point in doing it this way.

Edited by OverSword

I'm not trying to justify thier means of disclosure, I'm just noting how they do it. You are young enough not to have this be traumatic. Remember what happened when War of the Worlds was originally broadcast? People actually killed themselves.

Much of that has actually been exaggerated, some people did panic but it was nothing like the extent to which it was reported.

The point OverSword is making, is small doses. I highly doubt he thinks people would have ever over-reacted with mundane data. It's the principle of the situation as a whole.

Ok, I'll eat my foot a bit. :)

Edited by Mentalcase