Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Official Rememberance Thread

Kismit

My sweet mother, left us on the 15/8/2011, who was full of life and laughter and who loved to dance, may you be at peace now, but wish you were still here with us.... you will always be in our hearts :)

To my gran, three years now your understanding voice was silenced...we all miss you here, but none more than me...i have a love of antiquity, great and small, because of you. Your words and help made me realize at an early age just how easy we have it now, whereas in your time, men were men cause they had to be, and women were nuclei of joy to those around them, no matter what. Cheers, and, I miss you.

• 1 month later...

Thinking of you today dad. 11th October 1999, but it feels just like yesterday.

Your Photograph

Reaching for your photograph

To clear the dust away

You are looking back at me

And I can hear you say

"Always be yourself, my child

Don't live your life a lie

Show the world the real you

And hold your head up high"

These words I have remembered

Memories close and true

I wanted you to be proud of me

The way I'm proud of you

So thank you dad... for all you did

And all you've given me

As I gently set your picture down

So you again can see

See me, your daughter, missing you

As tears flow from my eyes

But I wipe them hastily

And hold my head up high

See dad? You taught me well

• Like 1

What a way to use your 23,000th recorded post, Still Waters. I'm sorry to hear that and realized your father played an important role in your life. For anyone to lose a family member is a great powerful loss and may your father be in a better place. I'm a Dad too and knew what would happen if I pass on myself, how my children, wife and relatives mourn me.

My Daughter - Racheal, September 22 1999

My father Francis Richard Taylor died on the 11th September 1979. I often wonder how life would have have been different had you lived. I was only four when you died so I didn't really understand you were gone forever. I wasn't allowed to go to your funeral and I'm still mad about that, but I know Mum had her reasons. More than my pain, it kills me that Mum hasn't ever gotten over you. She says you were the only one. We talk about you every time we speak, but then we start crying and have to stop. I wonder if it would have been okay to show emotion in our family if you would have lived, if you would have made Mum be cool with it. Dad, it sounds awful, but part of me was glad about the Twin Towers attacks because then other people would feel what I feel every September 11. In primary school I remember being jealous of kids whos parents were divorcing, cos at least they still had two parents. I'm scared of Mum dying cos then I'll be an orphan. Gotta stop now, can't see the screen for tears. I'll visit you this week Dad. I love you. I'm still your petal - K

Edited by a nice cup of tea

I am so glad this topic is here, I found it (and registered here a short time ago) at the perfect time, it was meant to be that I join I think so I could heal myself during this time in my life through talking about this.

A very close family member who was there for me when many others were not - who provided me a safe space when I had desperate need of it - is passing away. My mothers mother's brother is dying. I received an email yesterday telling me about it. I moved from Canada here to Sweden 5 years ago, and my Uncle Syd was one of 4 people I miss the most. We spent countless hours talking about his war experiences (he fought with the RAF and later the RCAF in WWII from 39-45, first in Africa and then Europe, participated in D-Day and was a part of liberating a small town in Holland) when I needed an escape from someone abusive in my family, or when I was being bullied at school at a much younger age. He was always there for me when I needed support the most, never judged or looked badly on decisions I made if they were in my own best interests as long as they hurt nobody intentionally. And even sometimes when they did but were necessary for my own safety.

Anyway he has been suffering from Alzheimers for a few months now, it was a swift and fast descent for him. He has been disinterested in food for a few weeks and now stopped eating completely. I found out he will not make it past the end of the week according to the hospital.

And so thank goodness this thread is here, because now I can post here. I have not lost anyone close for about 14 months, before that about 2 years and before that about 5 years. So now that I cannot go to any funeral or fly over to say my own goodbye to him in person, I have had to send to my mom to deliver my thanks to Uncle Syd for being such an amazing person in my life who changed my world when I needed it most, and I know he will hear it, but this thread is giving me an added opportunity to remember him here as well, and typing this up has given me a bit of healing and helped me to stop crying for a while.

He is (and will always be remembered by me as) an amazing man who taught me that one person can make a difference. He gave his rations to a starving family who had spent the winter surviving on eating tulip bulbs, and that saved the life of a pregnant woman and her child who she named after him. He met the man at the celebrations of the 60th anniversary of the towns liberation. I loved hearing his stories like that, how one person can save another and thus change their world forever. He inspires me every day to do my best to be kind to all I meet, and I will remember him always for teaching me about life, patience, and giving.

I know he is not dead yet but once he passes I might not be able to memorialize him in a way befitting his character, his courage, honour and valour, so I hope its alright that I do so now, because its helping me get through this. Knowing he is slowly passing away with each day is one of the hardest things I have ever lived through. But knowing that now I can read this post every single time I miss him is a great comfort looking forward.

Uncle Syd Smith, my hero and an amazing person, I will never ever forget your hand in my becoming who I am, the shelter I found in your home, and the love you shared so freely when it mattered the most. I will keep you alive in my heart forever.

Also, to my other relatives who have passed: Uncle Ab, Auntie Ness, Uncle Len, Uncle Sid, Auntie Marg, and my close friend Jason who passed when we were but 17, I think of you all often, I tell stories of your lives and your input into who I am to my husband often, so that although he cannot meet any of you he still knows just how much I loved and still miss each of you. I try to keep a piece of each of you alive in this way, and will make sure my future children know of you and what you gave to me while you were still with us, so that your memories are alive for the rest of my life as well.

And lastly, to my husbands mother's father, I mourn that I was never able to meet you, you should know that Jim speaks of you all the time with a love which awes me, and I feel as though we did meet. I will make sure your great-grandchildren know all about you, so that your physical absence is never a barrier to their love for the man you were.

Your voices may all be far from this earth, silenced for all time, but your memories and the essence of who you each were lives on in me, and I hope I am doing justice to who you were. I hope you all know somehow that I remember you each with love and happiness, and I think often of the good times. I miss you all and I always will, and through them the gifts you gave me live on.

• 2 weeks later...

For my friend and brother-in-law Eugene, who passed away one year ago today at age 28. He was such a lovable guy, so generous, kind, never had a harsh word for anything or anyone. He was an uncle to four nieces and one nephew. When he passed away, his brother's wife was pregnant with triplets so they never got to know him. But we're sure he's watching over them. He was my own son's favourite person and definitely one of the best friends anyone could have.

We miss you very much, Moose. But we'll see you again someday.

My friend Wade past away 7 years ago. He was 18 years old. He was an individual with his own rules and a heart of gold. He had such a wonderful smile and he brought happiness everywhere he went. He is definitely missed.

Also, my friend Andi. He just past away on Oct 30, 2011. He had sickle cell anemia and suffered a heart attack. He was only 22. Andi loved his twin brother Imo and he loved attending church services and participating in church activities. He was a quiet shy person but once you got to know him you couldn't help but love him.

• 1 month later...

My grandad passed away last month. He was about 73-74 and died of liver cancer (with a little help from some previously latent TB). The stupid thing is, the hospital is blaming him for "exposing" staff to TB and are now claiming that they only discovered it after he died, when in fact they had confirmed it at least a week-week and a half before he died.

December 4th - My dad's birthday

December 8th - The anniversary of my brother and his fiancée car accident

December 24th - My father-in-law's birthday

x xx x

Still, they happen to be in December, the holiday month. My maternal grandma, father and half-sister has B-days next week (15th, 17th and 21st respectively) and are currently alive. Christmas is a great time for families, yet are depressing for those who had lost a loved one. :( You realize about life is precious to have and feel fortunate to have your loved ones (here or passed on).

Still, they happen to be in December, the holiday month. My maternal grandma, father and half-sister has B-days next week (15th, 17th and 21st respectively) and are currently alive. Christmas is a great time for families, yet are depressing for those who had lost a loved one. :( You realize about life is precious to have and feel fortunate to have your loved ones (here or passed on).

My mother's birthday was December 2nd and she is still alive. Christmas isn't what it used to be, but it's the same for anyone who's lost someone. We spend Christmas as a family, but never forget those who have gone. They are always with us in heart and spirit.

With the New Year and Christmas just behind us many of us have spent a moment or two thinking about the people who could not be with us on these special occasions and others like them.

The Nameless One has suggested a rememberance thread, a place where we can post about the people we miss and who have passed on. And we decided it was a sweet idea.

So... Still Crazy, you were the inspiration for this thread. It's only fair that you get the first mention. Miss you Sean original.gif

And I remember Tom, I miss you Tom. To briefly I new you, although I don't think there ever would have been enough time.

Please feel free to post for those people who you miss.

Great idea !!!

• 3 months later...

For my mate Ted

You were a WWII Veteran, and flew your Tiger Moth in your 80s :clap: :clap: :clap:

We never got the flight you promised me, my mates could not believe I would go in that plane with you. Leap of faith, that we'll never have now. My Mother is relieved LOL. That will make you laugh, I know!! But you knew I'd do it. To fly with you in your Tiger Moth, a WWII Veteran, we would have landed safely. You didn't take me up as you knew you were too poorly to fly, that last time it was discussed. You knew I had utmost faith in you.

But you got poorly. I hope you know that we will look out for your son. He's gonna be lost without you, but we will give him love and hugs and he has friends xxx

You fought in WWII for the freedom that I have grown up with, and I hope you know how grateful I am for that. So many times, you shed tears when we chatted about your Wife, and you missed her every second of every day, since she passed. There was never a conversation passed by without her name, and I believe you are with her now xx

I knew you were gone, even before my friend rung to tell me. I knew, Ted. I knew. Thank you for coming to see me xxx :wub:

It was a joy and a privelege to know you, and especially to be your friend. You will always be in my heart. I love you, Ted xxx

You'll be taking off in your Tiger Moth whenever you want now, and your Darling can be at your side, like you always wanted xxx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQXPonr4vcw

I will miss you xxx

Edited by sarah snow

• 3 weeks later...

i think one thing is very bad happen in the month of the December that is the your brother fiancee car accident.which is not a good thing otherwise other-thing is very happy for you with the birthday's.

• 2 weeks later...

To my dear sweet sister Elizabeth......who passed away yesterday after a rather bad epileptic fit....and her beautiful daghter lucy who was with her and now in hospital.....R.I.P lizzy,will always love you

Edited by cluey

• 4 weeks later...

very sorry for your loss

To my dear sweet sister Elizabeth......who passed away yesterday after a rather bad epileptic fit....and her beautiful daghter lucy who was with her and now in hospital.....R.I.P lizzy,will always love you

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry about your sister and niece, that is so sad. My son has the rare seizure out of the blue, but when he has them they are severe. They are so rare I have not ever seen them, but many others have. I have seen the aftermath. Hugs to you and yours.

a remembered member who was deleted but had a big impact on me. Caana who died of cancer. I miss him and his out there posts. He had a good heart and was kind to me and always remembered my son.

Edited by snappydragon

• 3 weeks later...

I want to take this chance to remember my mom and sister who were murdered on june 29th,1981. almost 31 years have passed, but it seems like yesterday.there has'nt been a day that i have'nt thought about you both. it's also ironic that the scumbag that killed you is still sitting on death row. who said justice is swift? i love you and hope to see you in heaven.

• 1 month later...

For my father and brothers. Lung cancer, motor cycle accident, and bullet to the spine while defending our country. I am raising 3 boys now in the the spirit and legacy that you left me. When I look at their faces I can see all of you in them. But without you I have been terribly lonely.

Edited by Seeker79

Zoe

March 3, 2000

July 24, 2011

post-77721-0-90378500-1343164840_thumb.j

Zoe

March 3, 2000

July 24, 2011

Zoe was a cutie, such an appealing wee face.

Edited by schizoidwoman

I've just learned of the death of a very old friend and colleague, Mrs.Joyce Cockerill of Dymchurch, Kent. It won't mean much to anyone on this Forum, but to me and anyone else involved in the Saxon Shore Way Project, her death will leave a very large gap. RIP Joyce.

Edited by ealdwita

Sorry to hear this Eald, my thoughts are with you.

My thoughts are with everybody posting here, everybody who lost somebody they loved.

• Like 1