Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where is the get-out clause for God?

Mistydawn

"Ask and it shall be given you....etc"

If you pray for years for the guidance to show more patience then suddenly decide no, you are going to pray for wealth... others will tell you that no, this is not what God meant by ask and it shall be given you...

Did I miss a 'get-out clause' somewhere in his offer??

• Like 1

whats your definition of wealth? you arent "wealthy" yet? do you mean money? you have no money? if everyone asks the same question, how does the answer manifest itself? maybe the money is already in the vicinity and the 1st person to take one step after "praying" gets his "question" answered 1st.

whats your definition of wealth? you arent "wealthy" yet? do you mean money? you have no money? if everyone asks the same question, how does the answer manifest itself? maybe the money is already in the vicinity and the 1st person to take one step after "praying" gets his "question" answered 1st.

What else do you think she could have meant? When anyone says - Wealth.. it usually means money...

my apologies

It's quite alight... I just read it and thought - How else can anyone usually define wealth lol? tongue.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom

"Ask and it shall be given you....etc"

If you pray for years for the guidance to show more patience then suddenly decide no, you are going to pray for wealth... others will tell you that no, this is not what God meant by ask and it shall be given you...

Did I miss a 'get-out clause' somewhere in his offer??

Ask for what? Yeah, I normally make longer posts than this, but this one's pretty short - when Jesus says "ask and it shall be given", what is he talking about? Anything and everything, or certain things only? Check the passage (don't ignore Luke, Matthew is not the only place where Jesus says this) and get back to me, ok :tu:

~ Regards,

Edited by Paranoid Android

- How else can anyone usually define wealth lol? tongue.gif

Health, love, family ect. just sayin I have money yet I am very poor.

Edited by The Silver Thong

Wealth of health ? ......Wealth of family? ... ( and not I have my family's wealth lol ).......and wealth of love? .........Hmmm doesn't quite roll of the ole tongue.lol.. But I did say - Wealth usually is linked to money.......Usually as normally yes.gif

I have heard of people saying - I am rich in love .......I am full of good health... But never rally heard anyone say - I have a wealth of health ...I am not trying to argue this..just I personally have not heard of it

i feel like im wealthy compared to others in many areas of my life. but i sure could use some more money.

i have a wealth of time to spend on UM.

i have a wealth of time to spend on UM.

Wealth means many different things to many different people. Would I be wealthy if I won 50 million dollars or just rich.

just rich. 500 million is wealthy

Why not say a billion. Wealth is relivant to only those that count pennies. In India if you have a bag of rice you are wealthy. If you have but one bowl you are poor. To me both are poor.

i agree with silver thong. but you cant say a billion because thats more than wealthy. thats super rich

As far as the OP goes does god answer prayers that are selfish. IMO why would he or it answer any prayer as they are all selfish.

Edited by The Silver Thong

Awwwwww? Very poor? Nothing more pitiful than a ronery and sadry Silver Thong! :cry: :cry:

:lol::P

I think it would be great to live in a world that did not require money at all

I think about Star Trek on this one...

Awwwwww? Very poor? Nothing more pitiful than a ronery and sadry Silver Thong! :cry: :cry:

:lol::P

That was awesome :tu: ok not quite that wonwe :lol:

When it comes to "Ask and ye shall receive ...". I think we need to consider a "good parenting" response from God. For instance, if you are asking for wealth and riches, what you may be saying is you have a flawed understanding of the value of material things and are really asking to be educated on their absolute lack of any real value to you and especially your eternal non material soul.

Food, shelter and clothing are all that we require to be in action, to live life on Earth - above this we enter the realm of greed and the effects of greed - you may find your question is answered, you just may not be conscious of the REAL question you asked :w00t: .

We might want to consider, sitting infront of our laptops/PCs etc that asking for "riches" on a universal scale could be a little disingenuous given we are right up there in the 10% of the wealthiest part of the world's population to start with.

When it comes to "Ask and ye shall receive ...". I think we need to consider a "good parenting" response from God. For instance, if you are asking for wealth and riches, what you may be saying is you have a flawed understanding of the value of material things and are really asking to be educated on their absolute lack of any real value to you and especially your eternal non material soul.

Food, shelter and clothing are all that we require to be in action, to live life on Earth - above this we enter the realm of greed and the effects of greed - you may find your question is answered, you just may not be conscious of the REAL question you asked :w00t: .

We might want to consider, sitting infront of our laptops/PCs etc that asking for "riches" on a universal scale could be a little disingenuous given we are right up there in the 10% of the wealthiest part of the world's population to start with.

I get your point Ibstak, but do you get mine? Ask for what you want, is what I read and understand by the scripture, but we all read into it in our own way, does it mean then, there is a "hidden get-out clause?"

I get your point Ibstak, but do you get mine? Ask for what you want, is what I read and understand by the scripture, but we all read into it in our own way, does it mean then, there is a "hidden get-out clause?"

I know this wasn't directed at me, but it gets to the heart of what I asked in my first post a few days ago - what is it that we are to ask for? Is it anything at all? In my first post, I suggested going to the Bible, and in particular a suggestion not to ignore Luke's gospel. Of particular note, what does Luke 11 say about "ask and you shall receive"? Answer that, and I think you'll see the question is not limitless to anything at all that we may want. It's not exactly a "get-out clause", it's just a statement of what the question is referring to.

Just a thought,

Edited by Paranoid Android

We also shouldn't forget the context of that Scripture. Matthew 6:33-34 states "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

That chapter speaks about heavenly treasures rather than earthly treasures.

Also keep in mind that God is not a cosmic genie who is required to grant our wishes. Prayer is much more than just asking for things.

We also shouldn't forget the context of that Scripture. Matthew 6:33-34 states "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

That chapter speaks about heavenly treasures rather than earthly treasures.

Also keep in mind that God is not a cosmic genie who is required to grant our wishes. Prayer is much more than just asking for things.

You kind of stole my thunder there, J.K. That was kind of what I was getting at. It was entirely about heavenly treasure. Matthew skirts the issue. Luke 11 goes over similar detail but adds one crucial detail - a reference to God giving the Holy Spirit to those who ask. Matthew hints at a heavenly treasure, Luke shouts it out loud. If you as an earthly father would give food and clothes (earthly necessities of living) to those who ask, how much more will God give the Holy Spirit (spiritual necessities for living) to those who ask.

And you are of course right. God is not a "genie-in-a-bottle", to be rubbed when needed and then put on the shelf when not required any longer. Too many people tend to think of God this way. I wish it were not so, but there it is.

I suppose the reference to the "Holy Spirit" is a get-out clause but that makes it sound like God is being duplicitous, like he promises one thing and doesn't deliver because of some hidden clause. It's not a get-out clause, it's just a statement of what is and what isn't - it's just that some who read this text believe it is saying more than they think it is saying.

~ Regards, PA

Some of the most gratifying prayers I have ever engaged in were prayers of thanks. I recently learned in a very literal way the blessing of a deep breath. You do it a million times in life and never think of it. Let it stop and it's the ONLY thing you can think of...pure panic... yes, there are lots of different kinds of wealth. The fact that we concentrate on money is more about wanting power than possessions. JMO