Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rock Apes

Farmer77

15 yards? Three car lengths? ......roughly?

......and you were using binoculars?

Probably explains why he saw something that doesn't exist :P

Probably explains why he saw something that doesn't exist :P

Yeah........ok, I really don't know how to respond to that.

.....binoculars at 15 yards?......... :hmm:

Hmmm, Idk maybe, 15yards? and No, it was in America, Ive never been out of the states, Alought I do want to go and live in London

If I saw a 7 foot tall beast walking around that most likely had several times my own strength I doubt having a knife with me would ease my worries about running into it again

bigtroutak, I spent two years in Vietnam. In 1966 we killed a tribe or whatever they call a bunch of them. There were six of them. As I recall, they were about four feet tall and red forearms and darker maybe dark grey body with a lighter V down their chest. It was dark so we didn't get a real good look at them. We kinda thought they looked like they were wearing a tuxedo.

Odie :gun:

Thanks for your reply! Some of the other stories I've read the (at the time) GI's would shoot because they seemed to be the same size and roughly color as the VC.

Thanks for your reply! Some of the other stories I've read the (at the time) GI's would shoot because they seemed to be the same size and roughly color as the VC.

They were not as tall as the VC but at night it's hard to tell from any distance. and my answer to QuiteContrary is; We thought we were being overrun by the VC and after the first shot, it's hard to tell that it was only us fireing.

They were not as tall as the VC but at night it's hard to tell from any distance. and my answer to QuiteContrary is; We thought we were being overrun by the VC and after the first shot, it's hard to tell that it was only us fireing.

Did you get a look at any of the bodies afterward?

Did you get a look at any of the bodies afterward?

Yes we did, I described what they looked like to me in another post.

Yes we did, I described what they looked like to me in another post.

Sorry, I wasn't sure if you're description was tongue-in-cheek or not, when you said they had "V" on their chests. As in Vietcong. Hard to tell if serious or if joking sometimes.

• Like 1

Sorry, I wasn't sure if you're description was tongue-in-cheek or not, when you said they had "V" on their chests. As in Vietcong. Hard to tell if serious or if joking sometimes.

LOL, I never thought of that. So they must have been VC with the V on their chest. LOL

yeah, I am sure the viet cong all wore super hero style emblems on thier chest....

• Like 1

yeah, I am sure the viet cong all wore super hero style emblems on thier chest....

I didn't know if he was being facetious in his description of the "creatures" they shot. As in they were Vietcong not Rock Apes.

Not actually Vietcong with a "super hero style emblems on their chest". :no:

• Like 1

LOL, I never thought of that. So they must have been VC with the V on their chest. LOL

Okay, I see the confusion. When you first posted I wondered why you all shot and killed something you didn't know what it was. Then after posting my question I thought "Oh, he is just joking." Either about the incident or in your description. Thus your "V" on their chests remark was a joke. But then when you posted again I thought maybe you were half serious in your first post, so I wondered what they "really" looked like. Sorry for the confusion.

Makes perfect sense to me. :wacko:

• Like 1

Okay, I see the confusion. When you first posted I wondered why you all shot and killed something you didn't know what it was. Then after posting my question I thought "Oh, he is just joking." Either about the incident or in your description. Thus your "V" on their chests remark was a joke. But then when you posted again I thought maybe you were half serious in your first post, so I wondered what they "really" looked like. Sorry for the confusion.

Makes perfect sense to me. :wacko:

No problem, I used to have pictures of the rock apes but they were in our basement about 30 years ago and it flooded so I lost all my pics. So I'm just going by memory what they looked like. They kinda looked like they had a tuxedo on with the open V on the front. If I remember right, it looked like the tux had short arms that came down to thier forearms. The tux would have been dark grey and the V and their forearms, a reddish color. The pics that I had wasn't the ones we killed. They were live ones I photographed on a hillside.

Edited by odiesbsc

No problem, I used to have pictures of the rock apes but they were in our basement about 30 years ago and it flooded so I lost all my pics. So I'm just going by memory what they looked like. They kinda looked like they had a tuxedo on with the open V on the front. If I remember right, it looked like the tux had short arms that came down to thier forearms. The tux would have been dark grey and the V and their forearms, a reddish color. The pics that I had wasn't the ones we killed. They were live ones I photographed on a hillside.

Did you ever do a search of documented animals of Vietnam for something like them? Did you all think they were just normal wild animals?

Thx

No, I never thought much about it until this thread came up. We knew what they were after we were in a one way firefight with em'.

Great story odiesbsc,

Thanks for sharing it, but more importantly thank you for your service. :tu:

Did the locals ever talk about these apes?

Was this the only time you saw these apes?

Do you recall the general in country location, vegetation, and terrain types?

Too bad about losing those photos. I've lost many of my non digitized photos over the years so I can sympathize.

Thanks Again!

• Like 1

No, I never thought much about it until this thread came up. We knew what they were after we were in a one way firefight with em'.

One rendition (tattoo) of a rock ape the veteran refers to as a "female rock ape (gibbon)". Females blonde and males black.

http://www.lzrussell.org/misc/tattoo/

@Odiesbsc, are their any similarities at all to the gibbons that inhabit the area?

Only you know what you saw, not me. But my inclination is to search for real animal possibilities first. So, I hope no offense taken. You may be done talking about this anyway.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Given that various types of crested gibbons do inhabit Veitnam, I would be surprised if at least some rock ape reports were not missidentifications of them, however many rock ape sightings have elements which seem to make it unlikely that a Gibbon was the creature witnessed. First Rock Apes, while smaller then a person are almost always said to be larger than a gibbon (which tops out around 3 feet tall), second they are often described as being encountered in groups while gibbons are rarely found in groups larger than two (one male and one female, gibbons take manogomy to a whole new level), third they are often encountered on the ground... gibbons are arboreal apes and rarely come to the ground, on those occasions when they do come to the ground gibbons walk in a very distinctive manner with arms raised above thier head, a readily noticable detail lacking in the reports I have read.

Since many of the sightings include these elements, which do not apply well to gibbons, simply writing rock apes off as gibbons would be premature (and an over-simplifacation IMO).

• Like 1

Given that various types of crested gibbons do inhabit Veitnam, I would be surprised if at least some rock ape reports were not missidentifications of them, however many rock ape sightings have elements which seem to make it unlikely that a Gibbon was the creature witnessed. First Rock Apes, while smaller then a person are almost always said to be larger than a gibbon (which tops out around 3 feet tall), second they are often described as being encountered in groups while gibbons are rarely found in groups larger than two (one male and one female, gibbons take manogomy to a whole new level), third they are often encountered on the ground... gibbons are arboreal apes and rarely come to the ground, on those occasions when they do come to the ground gibbons walk in a very distinctive manner with arms raised above thier head, a readily noticable detail lacking in the reports I have read.

Since many of the sightings include these elements, which do not apply well to gibbons, simply writing rock apes off as gibbons would be premature (and an over-simplifacation IMO).

Good points. But I had to ask.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

One rendition (tattoo) of a rock ape the veteran refers to as a "female rock ape (gibbon)". Females blonde and males black.

http://www.lzrussell.org/misc/tattoo/

@Odiesbsc, are their any similarities at all to the gibbons that inhabit the area?

Only you know what you saw, not me. But my inclination is to search for real animal possibilities first. So, I hope no offense taken. You may be done talking about this anyway.

I don't know the difference between a rock ape and a gibbon. I just told you what I saw and what we called em'. When I left there I just kinda forgot all about em' until I went back for my second tour.

To answer Even's question, I saw the apes all the way from Dong Ha which is almost on the DMZ all the way south to ChuLia. They were in the mountain or hilly areas with lots of vegatation. I suppose the locals talked about them but I don't know for sure. We had other things on our mind.

Odie

Edited by odiesbsc

Odie, Thanks for your reply and your service. Your story lines up exactly with many that i've read. Considering what you all were there for it's understandable that you wouldn't think twice about these creatures. What I don't understand is with so many people telling nearly identical stories why haven't the "professional" cryptozoologists done more to research these creatures?

• Like 1

Another thing that doesn't fit with typical gibbon behavior is the reported rock throwing. Chimp's and gorilla's have been known to throw rocks, gibbons I didn't find anything on......

I agree though, this one should be looked into further by a professional.

• Like 1