Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spirit Box?

FLBlake

Here is an example of my GB picking up a sentence at 100ms

http://soundcloud.co...444/region155-1

Sounds like.. larnie.. or laurie.. at first.. then nothing else after it but garbled noise

Ok.. let me put this out there.. for the ghost box users.. evp takers etc..

how about this.. take a few recordings lets say 5.. leave in when you ask questions etc.. and without listening to it first.. uploaded it and add the link in here for us to listen to..

Now when we listen to it we will write down and not post what we heard if anything for say.. 3 days? that sound long enough for most people to take a listen..

after 3 days.. we will post what we heard..

That way.. there will be no comments of saying that because you wrote what you heard it made us hear it .. etc etc..

Now remember this will not be classed as evidence by us sceptics.. because 1 we were not there and 2 we dont really know you and for myself.. I dont really trust someone I dont know.. nothing personal..

But.. i would be willing to call it 'possible' evidence

EVP it's totally possible that you are getting random voice responses using a "random voice generator" I mean let's be honest that's what a "spirit box" is used for. It's bunk and completely unsubstantiated, worse, it's easily explainable, heck orbs have more credibility rofl.

Ok.. let me put this out there.. for the ghost box users.. evp takers etc..

how about this.. take a few recordings lets say 5.. leave in when you ask questions etc.. and without listening to it first.. uploaded it and add the link in here for us to listen to..

Now when we listen to it we will write down and not post what we heard if anything for say.. 3 days? that sound long enough for most people to take a listen..

after 3 days.. we will post what we heard..

That way.. there will be no comments of saying that because you wrote what you heard it made us hear it .. etc etc..

Now remember this will not be classed as evidence by us sceptics.. because 1 we were not there and 2 we dont really know you and for myself.. I dont really trust someone I dont know.. nothing personal..

But.. i would be willing to call it 'possible' evidence

I would suggest everyone involved sending " what they heard " to a trusted persons email to post all at once.

Otherwise, you sill have suggested words that people may say " oh ya, I did hear that ", and change their reply....

Here is a GB capure from my shack hack.I am saying 'Give me more evidence and say dominic please'

http://soundcloud.co...444/region177-1

Why does it sound just like a cut up version of you saying "dominic please"? Im not saying you fabricated it but is there no way it could have been some sort of recording glitch that repeated it?

It was not cut I swear.And does the response sound like my voice?

Edited by ghostiechaser

It was not cut I swear.And does the response sound like my voice?

As I said I wasnt accusing you of altering it. But I do think it sounds similar to your voice but a bit echoey. Its that and the fact that it is a repeat of what you said that makes me lean towards some sort of equipment or operator error. Do you at least entertain that as a possible explanation?

As I said I wasnt accusing you of altering it. But I do think it sounds similar to your voice but a bit echoey. Its that and the fact that it is a repeat of what you said that makes me lean towards some sort of equipment or operator error. Do you at least entertain that as a possible explanation?

I hear his voice at the beginning also being as choppy as the " dominic " part.....

I would thing IF " ghosts " could respond like that, they would be able to have a conversation....What could possibly stop them from it?

Why only one word ( suggested) here and there?

Edited by Sakari

It would be difficult to have a conversation with a ghost because of the radio station interferences.Possibly it has happened but i have not noticed.It's like trying to listen to one voice in a growd

It would be difficult to have a conversation with a ghost because of the radio station interferences.Possibly it has happened but i have not noticed.It's like trying to listen to one voice in a growd

I would have thought if they can communicate that way their signal would overpower any radio station since they could be speaking right next to the receiver you are using.

Here is an example of my GB picking up a sentence at 100ms

http://soundcloud.co...444/region155-1

Ok I havent read any further and I haven't seen anyone else's guesses at what is being said. I am an EMS and Aircraft dispatcher, almost literally half my life has been spent listening to radio transmissions and as anyone who has spent a ton of time around radios can tell you, with experience comes an ability to hear through the static that others don't have.

That said what I hear is a male's voice say "alarming" and then a female's voice saying "others get out". Anyone else pick that up or am I delusional?

I hear his voice at the beginning also being as choppy as the " dominic " part.....

I would thing IF " ghosts " could respond like that, they would be able to have a conversation....What could possibly stop them from it?

Why only one word ( suggested) here and there?

When it comes to things like the spirit box I think the prevailing belief is that spirits are using environmental energy to communicate and they're only able to muster enough energy to communicate at a freq. we can hear one or two words at a time.

I have heard EVP's that contained complete, if not grammatically correct, sentences before, but those are at a freq (supposedly) which is easier for them to communicate at.

Why change the stations?....Keep the AM dial on the lowest frequency where there is no station.......Let it stay there....Less work for the ghost.

Why not HAM radio then?

It would only make sense.For the " theories " ( I am being nice ) out there on this, HAM should be picking up all sorts of talk from the other side.

I just wish people would do as I suggested and read about, and educate themselves on how AM radio waves work, and travel, and just how many " stations " are out there.

What percentage of " Ghost Box's " are used at night?.....I would feel safe saying most, considering most investigations are at night. ( that's another thing that makes no sense, but also another topic)......Anyway, keep the night thing in mind, and read on.

This phenomenon, called 'skip' occurs as the atmosphere immediately above the earth cools down. High temperatures act as an impedance to radio waves, and lower temperatures just the opposite. If the air is cool enough, radio waves will literally 'bounce' off the ionosphere to points out of sight, making a bend around the earth. This is accentuated in summer months when there is warmer air in the troposphere, about 7-10 miles up, that keeps a colder-air 'duct' below. So under these conditions radio waves will travel remarkably far. This is why more powerful AM radio stations are licensed a 'cleaar-channel' at night, for they will simply cause interference to local stations on similar frequencies.

AM radio uses shorter frequencies and the signal can travel much farther

(hundreds of miles at night). This is because of the Earth's ionosphere, a

layer in the atmosphere where the Sun's light ionizes the atoms (causes

them to lose an electron). The ionosphere reflects certain frequencies of

radio waves (less than about 30 Megahertz, though the exact number depends

on the density of electrons and varies with time) so they can travel much

farther. Some radio stations can even be picked up better at night because

during night hours, without sunlight, the ionosphere changes and becomes

more reflective to certain frequencies.

FM stands for frequency modulation. With radio waves, as with other waves, frequency tells us how frequently the waves are passing. We can illustrate that with the rope too. This time, instead of changing the amount of force you use to shake the rope, change how quickly you shake the rope. You will find that you can shake it slowly to make waves that are far apart, or you can shake it quickly to make waves that are close together. You are modulating the frequency of the waves in the rope.

The strength of a signal tends to vary by distance and location. Changes in strength cause changes in amplitude (AM), but not changes in frequency (FM.) This causes AM stations to have more static and interference than FM stations.

Another big difference between AM and FM is the length of the waves. For FM, the waves are fairly short, usually around nine to twelve feet. Short waves are much better at getting into buildings, bridges, and other metal structures, but they are easily blocked by large objects, such as mountains, and they do not travel very far.

For AM, the waves are much longer, often more than a mile long. These long waves are easily blocked by metal structures, making it difficult to get good reception in bridges, stores, and parking garages. On the other hand, the long waves are much better at moving around mountains, and they can travel hundreds of miles, letting you hear stations in distant cities.

So which is better? Well, that depends on what you want. For listening to local stations, FM tends to give a much better signal, with good reception in most locations. On the other hand, if you are on a long trip, FM stations tend to fade quickly as you drive along, while you may be able to listen to the same AM station for hours before you lose the signal. If you are on a camping trip, or somewhere away from cities, AM stations may be the only stations that you can pick up.

First, let's look at the AM radio band (group of frequencies). AM stands for amplitude modulation, which will be explained later.

AM radio ranges from 535 to 1705kHz (kilohertz, or thousands of cycles per-second of electromagnetic energy). These are the numbers you see on your AM radio dial.

np.gifNote in the tan area at the left of the illustration below that AM radio waves are of a lower frequency than either FM radio or TV waves. Thus, as we will see, after being transmitted, they will behave differently.

spectrum2.jpg

Stations can theoretically be placed every 10KHz, along the AM band. This means that there are a total of 117 different channels available for AM radio stations.

If it all stopped there, things would be rather simple; but, unfortunately, other factors come into play.

First, you can't put stations on the same frequency that are too close together in a geographic area. They will interfere with each other. And for the same reason you can't have two stations close together in frequency (close to each other on the radio dial) in the same area. So these are the first things that limit the number of radio stations in an area.

The good news is that since the signals of stations tend to be limited in their range, you can use some of the frequencies many times — as long as the stations are far enough apart geographically. This is why the United States can have nearly 5,000 AM radio stations on only 117 different frequencies.

np.gifHow far an AM station's signal travels depends on such things as the station's frequency (channel), the power of the transmitter in watts, the nature of the transmitting antenna, how conductive the soil is around the antenna (damp soil is good; sand and rocks aren't), and, a thing called ionospheric refraction. The ionosphere (see illustration below) is a layer of heavily charged ion molecules above the earth's atmosphere.

Are you still there? Okay, let's go on.

Ionospheric refraction is a big issue, because AM radio waves can end up hundreds and even thousands of miles away from where they started, and in the process interfere with all other stations on the same frequency.

But, as we'll see in a later module on international shortwave, ionospheric refraction can be good, because it makes possible long-distance communication.

Here's how that works.

ionosph.gif

np.gifNote that for AM radio stations the ground wave (in light blue above) doesn't go very far. This means numerous stations can be put on the same frequency without interfering with each other — assuming they are far enough apart. (Keep in mind that this drawing can't be anywhere near close to scale and show these things.)

The problem arises — if you want to see it as a problem — is the sky wave can end up in other states, provinces, or even in other countries.

The ionosphere is much more effective in reflecting these radio waves at night. (Incidentally, technically, it's refracting, not reflecting, but the effect is somewhat the same.)

That's why at sunset most AM radio stations in the U.S. have to:

• reduce power
  • directionalize their signal (send it more in some directions than others), or
  • go off the air (sign off until sunrise the next day)

This may explain why your favorite AM radio station goes off the air at sunset, or becomes much harder to hear (because of reduced power).

Source : http://www.cybercoll...rtv/frtv017.htm

Still with me?

This is just the start of information on AM frequencies.....As said, I am not going to go back and find the other sources I found and posted before....They point out the number of Religious, Spanish, talk radio, etc Stations, and how ( especially at night ) these signals can travel very, very far.......

It does not make sense to me that a " ghost box " made from a Ham radio would not work better....Not as many people using them ( I do not think ), the waves work better, and should be easier for a ghosty to " make energy " to talk to......

I know long boring post......

I just know that what some people think is dead mom and dad working up energy to say one word to us is nothing more than KCBN , or one of the other thousands of stations, and random words being sprayed across earth being picked up in static........

Please, please, please.......Before using / saying devices made for real things can be " paranormal " tools, educate yourselves on how and why those things work.You just might see why it is very flawed.......Very flawed.

Anyone know the phrase used when using a tool for something that it was not designed for?

Edit to add :

Sorry, I have to add to this book.......And look at the bold.( the inventor of the Ghost Box )

Frank Sumption claims to have received the designs for his EVP device from a disembodied voice, of which he is not entirely clear about. This doesn’t necessarily discredit him, but does raise issues about the credibility of his technological application. As for the Ghost Box itself, there is a completely rational explanation for how it works, and why people believe they are speaking with the spirits of the dead or extraterrestrial intelligences. Here is a brief explanation for how the Ghost Box actually works: By using a repetitive scan of AM radio channels, a combination of broadcasts and static noise will occur. This is similar to turning the radio dial on your car stereo system quickly. What will be heard, are a combination of stations broadcasting music, commercials, news, talk shows, and some static noise. These ongoing broadcasts communicate names, places, times, dates, and numbers, and other wordings. When the Ghost Box is used, typical questions are asked, such as, “What is your name?” or “Where are you from?” or “How did you die?” and so on. As the Ghost Box scans through these AM channels it will produce jumbled names, places, and numbers etc. that are commonly broadcast. This is not even “white noise” from which the so-called spirits of the dead or extraterrestrial intelligences speak through. It is merely the broadcasted signals providing the words as they are quickly scanned. Many supporters of the Ghost Box argue that the answers they receive are not random, but are very specific responses to their questions. To explain why this occurs, a few rational explanations can be provided through psychology.

There are a few things people need to consider when using a Ghost Box. In doing so, the so-called responses obtained from the Ghost Box will be better understood. According to psychologists, there is a phenomenon called Pareidolia. It is defined as a type of misperception involving an obscure stimulus (an image or sound), which is perceived as something clear and distinct. This is a common phenomenon in EVP analysis. If this phenomenon is applied to the Ghost Box, it becomes obvious that the responses provided through it are given a greater sense of attention. However, this does not address the argument made that the Ghost Box provides specific responses to questions asked. An explanation for this involves Subjective Validation/Personal Validation Effect, whereby a person will accept a statement or other wording to be correct, or valid. In other words, when a person asks a question during the use of a Ghost Box, they will be paying attention to words reflecting an anticipated response. Any other information that is scanned throughout the AM channels will be ignored. What the Ghost Box amounts to is a condition of cognitive bias!

.............................. http://ocprstoronto....â€-fraud/

Edited by Sakari

Why change the stations?....Keep the AM dial on the lowest frequency where there is no station.......Let it stay there....Less work for the ghost.

*Snip*

Talk about kill the subject..What do you think i goT? SILLY BOYS

Edited by Karlis

Talk about kill the subject..What do you think i goT? SILLY BOYS

Killing the subject?....Because I spent time putting in facts?

I am trying to get you, and others to see what you are really dealing with......Maybe I should have put this? ( and I am not trying to be rude, I am still having a discussion )

First, human brains are very good at pattern recognition. So much so that they find patterns where there are none. This is a form of post hoc fallacy, associating the event with something happening at around the same time, even though no association exists.

A simple example of this is "lucky item" thinking. An example would be where one believes that a piece of clothing is "lucky" because lucky things happened while wearing it. Compulsive gamblers have many of these types of behaviors, where their wins or losses cause them to mentally associate the immediate events in the vicinity with those events. Over time, a pattern will develop, like the player wins when he's wearing a certain shirt, or where he thinks that a pair of socks is unlucky because he loses while wearing them. The events are wholly unrelated, but the pattern recognition part of our brain associates these random events as if there was a causative factor connecting them.

The second part of the error is a form of selection bias. Sometimes he gets something that seems to match, and these are the recordings he saves, or the pieces he saves. However, what about the times that don't create a strong match? These are ignored or turned into positives, thus creating a situation where he cannot be mistaken in his beliefs.

In the recording, for example, he asks "is anyone here" many times with no real result, or with uncertain results at best. These negative responses he attributes to "ghostly" factors, as if the ghosts are having difficulty communicating or something. The few times he gets a decent "hit" are the proof that the methodology works. In either case, his result is validated, because there's no way to get a falsification of the results. There is no plausible scenario will tell him "this doesn't work".

In other words, people tend to be gullible. wink.gif

what is all this ****,?

Facts......Education....Discussion.

Edited by Sakari

THIS IS A JOKE ,NOR DOES IT MAKE SENSE,CRAZY

FACT

Edited by ghostiechaser

THIS IS A JOKE ,

Here is the very first post :

Hello everyone. 1st post here. I love watching Ghost Adventures, mainly for entertainment purposes. Though, some things on the show seem pretty legit. My question this post is regarding the Spirit Box they use. It's the thing that is supposed to cycle through multiple radio stations per second. It seems like every time they use it, it works pretty well. Does anyone have any first hand eperience with one of these things? Is this some gimmick like a lot of other things on shows like this?

I am having a discussion to that, and to following replies.I am being sincere, and not rude at all......I am actually trying to give some information to help the original question.

I read somewhere :

When a debate turns into insults, the debate/discussion is over.......

Something to that effect.

Sorry, I like to try to help out.

Edited by Sakari

prove it,it's not there

or, in other words, the lack of a good rebuttal to an assertion doesn't really mean jack about the truth or logical consistency of that assertion.

You did not read anything I posted did you?

Lets see, prove it is not there......I am not going back through this, but I am pretty sure that most, if not all replies to your link could not hear anything clear.....Is that good enough for you?

Look, I gave you and others information to help you.If you are not willing to be open minded to ALL possibilites, that is your issue.I am not going to get into a childish conversation, or argument.

If you want to back up, and continue where I left off, I am willing to furnish more for you.

Really no skin off my nose either way.

prove it,it's not there

Ghostchaser, if that's about all you can contribute, then please leave it at that, unless you have some input which has some content worth considering.

Karlis -- mod team member.

Prove it's not there.I'm sorry but there is no evidence that it is not there.

Edited by ghostiechaser

Prove it's not there.I'm sorry but there is no evidence that it is not there.

UUgggggg you can't prove a negative......................... and I shouldn't be having a conversation with people who don't know that :blink:

Direct responses are there and the afterlife has already been proven.

Despite reasonable attemps at discussion its clear you really dont consider any explanations other than your own. Its also clear that you require no actual proof other than viewing your own experiences through your personal bias of already believing in ghosts. You arent performing anything scientific despite what you think and despite whatever equipment you use. Using scientific equipment doesnt automatically mean you are employing a scientific approach.

How and where exactly has the existence of the afterlife been proven? Such a grand claim yet you provide nothing to back anything up.