Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mouse life extended 24%

OverSword

from the article;

Mice treated at the age of one lived longer by 24% on average, and those treated at the age of two, by 13%. The therapy, furthermore, produced an appreciable improvement in the animals' health, delaying the onset of age-­‐related diseases -- like osteoporosis and insulin resistance -- and achieving improved readings on aging indicators like neuromuscular coordination.

I've read that experts in the field of curing aging say that the first person that will live to be 1,000 years old was born in the ninties, they may be correct.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120514204050.htm

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Right Wing

• OverSword

• WoIverine

• Bavarian Raven

from the article;

Mice treated at the age of one lived longer by 24% on average, and those treated at the age of two, by 13%. The therapy, furthermore, produced an appreciable improvement in the animals' health, delaying the onset of age-­‐related diseases -- like osteoporosis and insulin resistance -- and achieving improved readings on aging indicators like neuromuscular coordination.

I've read that experts in the field of curing aging say that the first person that will live to be 1,000 years old was born in the ninties, they may be correct.

http://www.scienceda...20514204050.htm

Telomerase also increases the chances of tumours so theres a long way to go yet. All we have to go on at the moment is calorie restriction.

I predict if you live to 2050 you'll live forever.

Telomerase also increases the chances of tumours so theres a long way to go yet. All we have to go on at the moment is calorie restriction.

I predict if you live to 2050 you'll live forever.

This too, from the article:

In 2007, Blasco's group demonstrated that it was feasible to prolong the lives of transgenic mice, whose genome had been permanently altered at the embryonic stage, by causing their cells to express telomerase and, also, extra copies of cancer-­‐resistant genes. These animals live 40% longer than is normal and do not develop cancer.

This too, from the article:

In 2007, Blasco's group demonstrated that it was feasible to prolong the lives of transgenic mice, whose genome had been permanently altered at the embryonic stage, by causing their cells to express telomerase and, also, extra copies of cancer-­‐resistant genes. These animals live 40% longer than is normal and do not develop cancer.

If you gave a human telomerase injections they would de-age but likely get cancer. Immortality is only being held back by our inability to deal with cancer to a satisfactory level.

I dont know what the odds are but if I was 70 years old right now I'd take the chance.

So would I. The main problem I would have if I were to be effectively immortal would be that I would undoubtedly procrastinate about everything. Why do today what you can put off till tommorw.

I wonder, if people did live to be 1,000 years or more, what would the population consequences be?

So would I. The main problem I would have if I were to be effectively immortal would be that I would undoubtedly procrastinate about everything. Why do today what you can put off till tommorw.

I wonder, if people did live to be 1,000 years or more, what would the population consequences be?

First Day - 1 glass of full cream milk + 1kg mixed fruit (All for breakfast) + water

Second Day - Just water

If you went on the above low calorie diet you'd live to be 300 easily. Your aging mechanisms are suspended when in starvation mode. You need to pick the mixed fruit so between that and the milk you get two days worth of nutrition. They've had mice and chimps on the same diet but the results from humans experiments are still decades away. It works for them though and they have far less illness such as cancer.

If you lose weight you could have a pig out day one day a week.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

I want this...

When you put yourself through alternate days of starvation you double your lifespan. (We'll call that 150 years ) -

- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2103286/The-secret-long-life-Starve-alternate-days-boost-brain-power-shed-weight.html

Whey protein is found in whole milk, eggs, gym muscle build and in cheese. It extends lifespan but about 50%. (We'll call that 220 years) -

http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/whey.html

Mixed fruits do too but they're still being investigated for the optimum mixture (We'll call that 300) -

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2008/08/extension-of-th.html

Mr Right Wing, Cool. Thanks for links. Anyone hear about cordyceps sinensis? Maybe between gene therapy & Cordyceps sinensis this could be feasible. but still many more studies are needed to scientifically validate cordy values. Link all about cordy.s

http://www.pharmaceuticalmushrooms.nwbotanicals.org/lexicon/cordyceps/cordy_chapter%20IJM.pdf

Edited by dreamgoddess11

I would second the notion of procrastination from increased human longevity. For some, that is.

For example, as I am getting much older I find myself much more bold even though I do not have the physical capacity.

I recall many stories of people doing more substantive things in their latter years versus younger years.

With an extended time limit, I could easily see some thinking to themselves "why not just wait until tomorrow"

Not saying all people of course.

Mr Right Wing, Cool. Thanks for links. Anyone hear about cordyceps sinensis? Maybe between gene therapy & Cordyceps sinensis this could be feasible. but still many more studies are needed to scientifically validate cordy values. Link all about cordy.s

http://www.pharmaceu...chapter IJM.pdf

Monster energy drinks contain L-Carnitine which has been shown to increase lifespan

I would assume that as the worlds population continues to grow,that this treatment if it is ever made risk free.The cost of this treatment will be so expensive that only the rich will have access to it.

They'd have to make some kind of deal for those who want the extended life span. Maybe only 1 kid, or possibly give up the ability to have kids at all. I could see world government dictating that pretty easily.

They'd have to make some kind of deal for those who want the extended life span. Maybe only 1 kid, or possibly give up the ability to have kids at all. I could see world government dictating that pretty easily.

There is no overpopualtion problem and the way some people latch onto it is bizarre.

Every century we have reached the population limit for our level of development and the response was we raised our level of development. Farming, fertilizer, tractors, selective breeding and growing of crops have allowed for 6.5 billion people. Wanting to limit our population would be dangerous as our rivals wont. They will simply apply technology and invest in research to raise their development level further leaving us in the stone age.

Its almost like no forward thinking occurs anymore causing people to believe how the world is now is it. They need to listen to scientists and engineers not media negativity. Every problem we have we can overcome with current technology. For water we could use desalination plants, for crops we could combine farms with skyscrapers, for energy we could go totally nuclear. What cant we currently solve? The answer is nothing.

Most of the planet is not like Western Europe, Eastern USA, Japan, India or China. Most of it is scarcely populated. We could have 250 billion on this planet easy using current technology. We need to push back boundaries not limit ourselves.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

e could have 250 billion on this planet easy using current technology.

with limitied resources, honestly, i would be surprised if we could reach 20 billion.

but the question we have to ask ourselves is, do we want to live on a planet with that many people.

with limitied resources, honestly, i would be surprised if we could reach 20 billion.

but the question we have to ask ourselves is, do we want to live on a planet with that many people.

Yeah, I think I'll pass on that.

"Whey protein is found in whole milk, eggs, gym muscle build and in cheese. It extends lifespan but about 50%. (We'll call that 220 years) "

Only the gullible would believe that....it's like the adverts when they show you a picture of a fat slob 6 weeks later he's ripped to the bone and looks 10 years younger because he's been on the Whey protein.

Edited by Gukumatz1

That's just dandy, all the human race need's are escaped rodents that can live and breed 24% longer! Also what is the point in extending the Human lifespan by 24%? Are we capable of feeding the worlds burgeoning population as it presently stands? What sort of consequences would unfold in such a world? What if the lifespan of Stalin had extended into the late seventies?

"Whey protein is found in whole milk, eggs, gym muscle build and in cheese. It extends lifespan but about 50%. (We'll call that 220 years) "

Only the gullible would believe that....it's like the adverts when they show you a picture of a fat slob 6 weeks later he's ripped to the bone and looks 10 years younger because he's been on the Whey protein.

Sorry have I indicated that its a gym which is claiming that or that its come from scientific research?

Whey protein is high quality and therefore doesnt damage cells when its metabolised.

There is no overpopualtion problem and the way some people latch onto it is bizarre.

Every century we have reached the population limit for our level of development and the response was we raised our level of development. Farming, fertilizer, tractors, selective breeding and growing of crops have allowed for 6.5 billion people. Wanting to limit our population would be dangerous as our rivals wont. They will simply apply technology and invest in research to raise their development level further leaving us in the stone age.

Its almost like no forward thinking occurs anymore causing people to believe how the world is now is it. They need to listen to scientists and engineers not media negativity. Every problem we have we can overcome with current technology. For water we could use desalination plants, for crops we could combine farms with skyscrapers, for energy we could go totally nuclear. What cant we currently solve? The answer is nothing.

Most of the planet is not like Western Europe, Eastern USA, Japan, India or China. Most of it is scarcely populated. We could have 250 billion on this planet easy using current technology. We need to push back boundaries not limit ourselves.

This is the dumbest thing anyone has ever said, ever.

Have you ever heard of evolutionary theory, sir?

man already hardly exists at 7 billion, it's clear you like feeding off those around you do so probably to convince yourself that you have an ego at the cost of others. you just did it in this very quote and prolly think that you're vision means you're really have something to share with the world and that makes you.... Ever heard of the human condition?

Guess what we could just breed pigs and we could probably literally cover the world in mountain of pigshit, and we could do it for years until we have an incredible amount of pigshit no one ever thought we'd be able to do it, but we could, we prolly could. stop thinking backwards? i tell ya what man, why don't ya go move to india and knock up some lucky lady and have your new contribution to the world birthed right into the milkmans asshsole and then tell me how underpopulated things are. you could stand there proudly saying, 'good thing we can desalinate the oceans, so things like this can happen'. because on account of the fact that AS SOON as natural selection lost us, we have been unable to do anything but the dumbest things ever, this is the cause of standards requiring the addressing of a broad spectrum of peoplo most of which do not belong in the world, naturally. This is a scientific fact of our origin. I'm not disdaining technology, and if we could break the tide of corruption, I fully agree with you, but you must realize that you having your opinion without actually remembering we're talking about the population today is exactly what's wrong, and you will be raped by that fact one day. it is the perception of unlimited access availability that makes you think you are invincible, when you really cannot survive and think as you do.