Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

75 per cent of Japanese whale meat 'unsold'

Still Waters

The Institute of Cetacean Research, a quasi-public body that organises the country's whaling, said around 75 per cent of roughly 1,200 tons of minke, Bryde's and sei meat from the deep-sea mission did not find buyers.

It is separate from the smaller coastal whaling programmes in northern Japan, whose meat still attracts buyers because it is fresh – as opposed to frozen – and sold in regions with deep whale-eating traditions.

The institute held regular auctions between November and March to sell frozen meat from creatures caught in Northwestern Pacific waters last summer. It was intended to promote whale consumption and increase revenue.

A spokesman for the institute blamed the "disappointing" auction results on food sellers wishing to avoid trouble with anti-whaling activists.

http://www.telegraph...eat-unsold.html

Well, you will always stop sickening practices by the economy being affected by the protests. Looks like next year it will just be slightly more expensive to hunt whales as the bill of this year has to be footed also.

Guess in 2 more years, should this trend continue, there will be no more economic footing for Japanese whale hunting, the damage to the Japanese image will take much longer to heal.

What an absolute shame.....

Edited by BrianPotter

Which means in effect that Whales are being killed unecessarily..

• Like 1

Well, you will always stop sickening practices by the economy being affected by the protests. Looks like next year it will just be slightly more expensive to hunt whales as the bill of this year has to be footed also.

Guess in 2 more years, should this trend continue, there will be no more economic footing for Japanese whale hunting, the damage to the Japanese image will take much longer to heal.

The Japanese image? The western world, especially the United States, consumes a ridiculous amount of meat. We raise, inject, and slaughter animals inhumanely, all in a factory atmosphere. We should work on our own image before we find the balls to critisize the Japanese habit of harpooning whales. It's all about perspective, I guess..

• Like 1

The Japanese image? The western world, especially the United States, consumes a ridiculous amount of meat. We raise, inject, and slaughter animals inhumanely, all in a factory atmosphere. We should work on our own image before we find the balls to critisize the Japanese habit of harpooning whales. It's all about perspective, I guess..

If they were harpooning whales it hardly would be a problem, they are setting off explosive charges in the animal that then dies slowly of the wounds sustained. That is slightly different than anesthetizing an animal (no matter if by electricity or other means) and after it cannot feel anything anymore open its jugular. Or as you say the industrial method.

Eating meat is what converted humans into slightly more intelligent animals than most of our primate cousins. But because we want to eat them that does not mean that we have have to torture them first.

• Like 2

If they were harpooning whales it hardly would be a problem, they are setting off explosive charges in the animal that then dies slowly of the wounds sustained. That is slightly different than anesthetizing an animal (no matter if by electricity or other means) and after it cannot feel anything anymore open its jugular. Or as you say the industrial method.

Eating meat is what converted humans into slightly more intelligent animals than most of our primate cousins. But because we want to eat them that does not mean that we have have to torture them first.

You must not be aware of the amount of animals that suffer in the meat industry. I can guarantee they outnumber the whales a thousand to one, to estimate conservatively.

You must not be aware of the amount of animals that suffer in the meat industry. I can guarantee they outnumber the whales a thousand to one, to estimate conservatively.

I have grown up on a farm, so please don't tell me your "suffering stories" most of our farm animals hardly would be able to survive without human aid because they have been conditioned by breeding over millennia to it. A stable cow that is not fed would most probably starve to death in a short time in the wild if not eaten by predators first. So please spare me your city boy laments. And the price the cows pay for living without care is being eaten. Sounds fair to me.

I have grown up on a farm, so please don't tell me your "suffering stories" most of our farm animals hardly would be able to survive without human aid because they have been conditioned by breeding over millennia to it. A stable cow that is not fed would most probably starve to death in a short time in the wild if not eaten by predators first. So please spare me your city boy laments. And the price the cows pay for living without care is being eaten. Sounds fair to me.

I really do not care where you grew up, so I'm not sure how that or how my birthplace is relevant. Anyways, if we can continue the discussion as adults, you need to do more research. The vast majority of the meat found in stores comes from less than 20 buildings. That's right - less than 20. I respect anyone who runs a traditional farm, and I would eat a chicken from that setting without thought. That's not the issue. Traditional farms cannot support the absurdly high demand of meat. So spare me your backwoods hillbilly ignorance and do some research.

http://www.sustainab...ues/processing/

http://www.ers.usda....BSECoverage.htm

Here's a standard Tyson chicken factory. You may have heard of them. Their products are available at virtually every major gocer in the world.

**EDIT** - Serious language in the video.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Legaia

I really do not care where you grew up, so I'm not sure how that or how my birthplace is relevant. Anyways, if we can continue the discussion as adults, you need to do more research. The vast majority of the meat found in stores comes from less than 20 buildings. That's right - 20. I respect anyone who runs a traditional farm, and I would eat a chicken from that setting without thought. That's not the issue. Traditional farms cannot support the absurdly high demand of meat. So spare me your backwoods hillbilly ignorance and do some research.

http://www.sustainab...ues/processing/

http://www.ers.usda....BSECoverage.htm

Here's a standard Tyson chicken factory. You may have heard of them. Their products are available at virtually every major gocer in the world.

**EDIT** - Serious language in the video.

[media=]

[/media]

And I don't care about you PETA horror movies, I lived with those farm animals. And I can tell you that it is a 100% better life than out in the wild. But everything comes with a price.

And I don't care about you PETA horror movies, I lived with those farm animals. And I can tell you that it is a 100% better life than out in the wild. But everything comes with a price.

I think you're misunderstanding where my personal opinions are on this topic. You were raised on a farm, right? Am I right in assuming it was a traditional farm, run by a single family or a few families? Or were you raised in a slaughterhouse? I am not arguing with the standard farmer's ethics, I think that's how it should be done.

And if you can't agree with the immorality of the meat industry, I am sure you can agree with the unhealthiness of it? Ever notice how e. coli and salmonella outbreaks spread everywhere? The reason is because all of our meat comes from a very small number of buildings.

I think you're misunderstanding where my personal opinions are on this topic. You were raised on a farm, right? Am I right in assuming it was a traditional farm, run by a single family or a few families? Or were you raised in a slaughterhouse? I am not arguing with the standard farmer's ethics, I think that's how it should be done.

And if you can't agree with the immorality of the meat industry, I am sure you can agree with the unhealthiness of it? Ever notice how e. coli and salmonella outbreaks spread everywhere? The reason is because all of our meat comes from a very small number of buildings.

Well no, it was a ranch with up to 20.000 heads in high season, with attached slaughterhouse and meat processing plant. And believe me, as disgusting as some things in those places are they are very humane compared to this:

Well no, it was a ranch with up to 20.000 heads in high season, with attached slaughterhouse and meat processing plant. And believe me, as disgusting as some things in those places are they are very humane compared to this:

[media=]

[/media]

Well I guess they would be because the word "humane" doesn't apply to that video whatsoever. That's nature.

Edited by Legaia

This is true.

I've seen how the western world slaughters animals and treats them. It's far from humane.

Well I guess they would be because the word "humane" doesn't apply to that video whatsoever. That's nature.

Then I am proud to be part of nature and eat other animals. Stay in your plastic world.

• Like 1

Then I am proud to be part of nature and eat other animals. Stay in your plastic world.

Sorry but this is the most ignorant excuse I have ever read for eating meat.

Naturally humans are omnivore. Not to get the best of both, but to give us a better survival chance in the WILD. Not in cities where we can buy any food product. There is no nutriant or anything you can't get from other sources that you get in meat. Fungi, soya beans etc etc all supply the same nutriants as meat.

How is slaughtering millions of animals every day and pumping out millions of polution natural?

Hunting your own food for survival is natural. Over Farming (industrial farming) is not the same thing at all. To even think it is, is downright stupid.

I'm not against eating meat, people can do what they want. But to use the "natural" excuse is jsut stupid. Especially when you eat animals that are not naturally kept and pumped full of unnatural drugs.

Sorry but this is the most ignorant excuse I have ever read for eating meat.

Naturally humans are omnivore. Not to get the best of both, but to give us a better survival chance in the WILD. Not in cities where we can buy any food product. There is no nutriant or anything you can't get from other sources that you get in meat. Fungi, soya beans etc etc all supply the same nutriants as meat.

How is slaughtering millions of animals every day and pumping out millions of polution natural?

Hunting your own food for survival is natural. Over Farming (industrial farming) is not the same thing at all. To even think it is, is downright stupid.

I'm not against eating meat, people can do what they want. But to use the "natural" excuse is jsut stupid. Especially when you eat animals that are not naturally kept and pumped full of unnatural drugs.

Why do all these psycho-sects insist in a meat less diet and lots of activity? Because your brain ceases to be alert and you are easier to brainwash. And that also includes some extreme vegetarian currents.

Now, do we need to eat 10s of pounds of meat every week? No we don't, and we should not just considering the amount of work and material that goes into growing this meat. But a meatless humanity will end up in trees like Bonbobos. And will then, for a change, be eaten by some other predator.

And that is the bottom line: You eat or or you are the pray. Where I repeat: just because you want to eat something you don't have to torture it first. And that is the only difference between something "humane" and a pack of wolves.

I highly doubt that the wolves consider their killing an animal torture, it is nature. You keep saying the same things but don't see the point that was trying to be made. Some animals raised for human consumption are treated inhumane. Responsible animal farmers are a far cry from the large corporations.

I don't think that you give domesticated animals enough credit either, just a side note. Pigs have no problems living without humans, chickens will get along fairly well, horses, sheep, and cows can also go back to the wild. Most of what you have been saying is your opinion, not based upon any sort of facts.

• Like 1

I highly doubt that the wolves consider their killing an animal torture, it is nature. You keep saying the same things but don't see the point that was trying to be made. Some animals raised for human consumption are treated inhumane. Responsible animal farmers are a far cry from the large corporations.

I don't think that you give domesticated animals enough credit either, just a side note. Pigs have no problems living without humans, chickens will get along fairly well, horses, sheep, and cows can also go back to the wild. Most of what you have been saying is your opinion, not based upon any sort of facts.

Allow me to ask: where can you find a wild cow? A wild house pig? And I am not talking wild boar, I am talking the variety you find in stables. The fact of the matter is that most domesticated animals cannot survive, house pigs will die of an heart attack the first time they are chased by anything. The only thing that we have in our stables and that has a fair chance are goats. And that only because a commercial selection of goat traits for breeding was never really conducted. The rest have lost their wild instincts and abilities to a greater degree than a dog has and are so vulnerable to all kind of diseases that they could not survive more than a generation out in the great wilds. Any milk cow, even if she has 5 calves, would stand in the morning and in the evening in front of the stable in need to be milked. Meat animals are so over-bred that they can hardly move in a natural way (if we exclude open grassland Herefords, and they in turn are so dependent on antibiotics that the first cold would convert them into a scavenger meal).

The only ones to benefit from releasing them are the predators and scavengers, they will have some easy meals. But rather than leaving it to them I'll eat 'em myself. The predators have enough deer and rabbits to pray on.

• Like 1

I eat meat from all sources so I can't say anything, but stilI wonder if these "engineered" commercial "farm" animals even have the same nutrients and health benefits for humans as they once did. Are there any non engineered animals left? I've heard it said that commercial milk cows are an aberration. But how else do you supply so many people?

But I somehow (to feel better?) can't equate commercial chicken farming with whale slaughtering.

You are spot on and wrote that very well. :tu:

Why do all these psycho-sects insist in a meat less diet and lots of activity? Because your brain ceases to be alert and you are easier to brainwash. And that also includes some extreme vegetarian currents.

Now, do we need to eat 10s of pounds of meat every week? No we don't, and we should not just considering the amount of work and material that goes into growing this meat. But a meatless humanity will end up in trees like Bonbobos. And will then, for a change, be eaten by some other predator.

And that is the bottom line: You eat or or you are the pray. Where I repeat: just because you want to eat something you don't have to torture it first. And that is the only difference between something "humane" and a pack of wolves.

There is no fact in what you just wrote... It's pure nonsense. We can't become prey to anything with how evolved we are. Oh and jsut to prove your theory is completely wrong... Elephants..... They aren't prey and are herbivores....

Humans are evolved so far and are super predators, we can't go back to living in trees. lol We should use our intelligence to farm sensibly and use our empathy and morals to treat animals with respect. Not torture them. If eating meat gives me your level of intelligence then I don't want to ever eat it. LOL

I eat meat from all sources so I can't say anything, but stilI wonder if these "engineered" commercial "farm" animals even have the same nutrients and health benefits for humans as they once did. Are there any non engineered animals left? I've heard it said that commercial milk cows are an aberration. But how else do you supply so many people?

But I somehow (to feel better?) can't equate commercial chicken farming with whale slaughtering.

You raise some very good points there.

Milk can be subsituted, but also the animals could be treated better. Bi products aren't too bad if the animals where given more respect and treated better in healthy conditions.

The engineered side is a huge reason that when I did neat meat. (I've stopped now) I would only touch free range and organic. If you worry about the horrible stuff pumped into them then stick to free range and organic.

We do lie to ourselves a lot, not everyone but a lot of people do. Like we pretend farm animals are dumb and can't feel etc. lol It's just a way of coping with it for some people.

Edited by Coffey

Hi guys, I've read all these posts,from chickens thru wolves, but the post is about WHALES, and a few nasty remarks have crept in...very sad, Humans are top of the food chain and will eat almost anything ,snakes ,insects even dogs and cats, in some countries, but eating WHALES could cause a big problem in the animal /fish food chain as WHALES could become Extinct, through unecessary killing,not that most Humans would bother about that I suppose,but I do. So leave the WHALES alone, humans have caused more animals/birds extinctions than any other species on this god-damn planet, and its time we Stopped..

It's been said for years now, the only way the "scientific research" will stop is when Westerners stop trying to tell the Japanese what to do. There's massive anti-whaling support in Japan until someone like Greenpeace or the Australian government speaks up and then the anti-whalers go silent because of an enculturated offence at "losing face".

• Like 2

It's been said for years now, the only way the "scientific research" will stop is when Westerners stop trying to tell the Japanese what to do. There's massive anti-whaling support in Japan until someone like Greenpeace or the Australian government speaks up and then the anti-whalers go silent because of an enculturated offence at "losing face".

So true, sir. :tu:

I wonder if any of the "unsold" whale meat is what has found its way into the US and a few restaurants charged with selling whale meat as sushi recently.

Edited by QuiteContrary