Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chinese Buddhists 'cause plague of serpents'

Still Waters

For a group of Chinese Buddhists, releasing a thousand snakes from captivity into the wild was a compassionate act that would bring them good karma. But for the small nearby village of Miao Erdong, it resulted in a plague of serpents.

The 50 members of the "Let Blessings and Wisdom Grow" Buddhist group left Beijing in a nine vehicle convoy last Friday, driving for half a day with their cargo of snakes into the countryside of Hebei province.

Once they reached their destination, they chanted a ritual and released the snakes. However, they were soon spotted by a man from Miao Erdong who alerted the rest of the village.

The police were called, and quickly impounded three of the group's vehicles, as the snakes slithered into the undergrowth. Li Guohua, the head of the village committee, said snakes were soon spotted inside some of their homes.

http://www.telegraph...f-serpents.html

• Like 1

Wow. They should have thought of a better location. That's a shame.

morons.

They could have released them in small groups instead of enmasse near a village - for all their efforts to effect good karma they completely ignored the basic "cause and effect" part of the deal. This is what becomes of following an ideal blindly without engaging your brain.

• Like 1

Whoops!

They do not say if they are poisonous and that is the main point. If they eat mice and rats, then they are a benefit. Snakes, lizards, skinks, and geckos as well as many creatures live around my home and sometimes inside. We get along.

<<Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.>> -Albert Einstein, "Science, Philosophy and Religion: a Symposium", 1941

US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

The spiritual meaning of this act is indeed noble, but maybe just MAYBE... they should have released them into the WILD, not near a village.

Edited by Bildr

I wonder if they regret releasing the snakes..

yea they released the snakes to let them live thinking it will bring them good karma but the police came in and killed all of the snakes lol.

• Like 1

this is a bit fishy. why would they release snakes? y not squirrels or birds? y do they have to release snakes? sounds a bit fishy.

Snakes On A Plane of Existence?

Nice. lol

I couldn't help but laugh at this article. I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

• Like 1

this is a bit fishy. why would they release snakes? y not squirrels or birds? y do they have to release snakes? sounds a bit fishy.

I agree, what was the reason for the snakes? and so many!

Its nice to see that even reptiles can get Buddist sypathy but... REALLY???

Maybe they could have helped protect some of the wild habitat, or bred and released any endangered species, and released them into their PROPER habitat?

...wisdom...maybe?

Monstrum, this hardly proves that all religions are stupid or dangerous. This was a group of people who did something stupid. Sure, they did it in the name of their religion, but Buddhism did not cause them to do this. There have been plenty of stupid things done in the name of science, yet no one claims science itself is stupid and dangerous.

Perhaps they were trying to act in favor of an oppressed group? Reptiles are almost universally hated, snakes especially. It clearly states in the article that releasing animals is a tradition in this area. Could've chosen a better area, though.

My question is, why did the snakes need releasing? Where they going to be killed?

where did they get that many snakes anyway?

From the local Chinese Snake-Away?

What a racket. If I lived there I'd own a snake store. Sell all of my inventory to people that want to set them free....go out and trap them...then sell them back to the people so they can set them free again. :D

• 2 weeks later...

It's depressing how many people don't even bother to read the articles before they comment now.

Liu Guangsen, a member of the Let Blessings and Wisdom Grow group, said releasing snakes is a particularly good way of rebalancing karma.

"In China, we think snakes are one of the four evil animals, together with hedgehogs, foxes and weasels," he said, adding that forgiving these animals pays a greater karmic dividend.

Edited by BaneSilvermoon

Despite it backfiring a little bit, I think they'll still accrue some good karma from this. Besides, the snakes aren't even venomous. I've deduced that.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like medussa just took a ****.

Looks like medussa just took a ****.