Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Loch Ness monster cited by US schools as

Still Waters

THOUSANDS of American school pupils are to be taught that the Loch Ness monster is real – in an attempt by religious teachers to disprove Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution.

Pupils attending privately-run Christian schools in the southern state of Louisiana will learn from textbooks next year, which claim Scotland’s most famous mythological beast is a living creature.

Thousands of children are to receive publicly-funded vouchers enabling them to attend the schools – which follow a strict fundamentalist curriculum.

The Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) programme teaches controversial religious beliefs, aimed at disproving evolution and proving creationism.

Youngsters will be told that if it can be proved that dinosaurs walked the earth at the same time as man, then Darwinism is fatally flawed.

http://www.scotsman....-myth-1-2373903

Wow, that's a good one. And I was hoping that maybe they would get a little more rational.

• Like 2

I believe God created the universe (and beyond), but even I can admit this curriculum is ridiculous.

Edited by Angel Left Wing
  • Like 3

strict fundamentalist curriculum

Scarier words have never been spoken.

No wonder the majority of america is so stupid.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 4

Here's three more:

"Accelerated Christian Education" - creating the willfully ignorant faster than ever.

• Like 4

Here's three more:

"Accelerated Christian Education" - creating the willfully ignorant faster than ever.

You know, anymore you have to think that these people enjoy being stupid.

• Like 1

There's definitely an element of people reveling in their own ignorance. Many folk are happy not to think about things too deeply. If there's a source of information they consider authoritative, then that's enough for them.

As an example, close family friends of ours are biblical literalists. They're great people in just about every way. But they refuse to consider that the Bible could be taken any other way then literally. When asked about evolution - they don't believe it. Ask them "what about dinosaurs?", the answer is "they lived at the same time as people". Even just a cursory glance at, and the most basic knowledge of science will tell you this is wrong. But they don't want to look. To do so would challenge their faith and nothing is worth that cost.

Simple solution is fingers in ears, and repeating "I'm not listening" over and over.

• Like 2

There's definitely an element of people reveling in their own ignorance. Many folk are happy not to think about things too deeply. If there's a source of information they consider authoritative, then that's enough for them.

As an example, close family friends of ours are biblical literalists. They're great people in just about every way. But they refuse to consider that the Bible could be taken any other way then literally. When asked about evolution - they don't believe it. Ask them "what about dinosaurs?", the answer is "they lived at the same time as people". Even just a cursory glance at, and the most basic knowledge of science will tell you this is wrong. But they don't want to look. To do so would challenge their faith and nothing is worth that cost.

Simple solution is fingers in ears, and repeating "I'm not listening" over and over.

creationism.jpg

• Like 8

A quick search will tell you the creature is mythological. I wonder if some of it has to do with maintaining their numbers. Are they afraid if they don't indoctrinate more aggressively, there will be none of them left soon? I'm trying to come up with a theory of why they would employ such an obviously deceptive tactic.

That's kind of silly, using a mythical critter. They could have at least used Komodo Dragons for their dinosaur argument. But I guess Komodos aren't sea critters, and they needed a sea critter.

Geez, education is already bad enough without purposely teaching kids false information.

Not to mention the fact that the existence of the Loch Ness Monster wouldn't disprove evolution, but anyway.....

I've seen mention in a few articles recently that the groups throwing the most money at "monster hunts" right now are young earth creationist types. Some of the monster shows on TV even feature them although they're somewhat clever in how they describe themselves.

Nessie ain't real? pfft

It ain't just America and it ain't just those "crazy Christians".

I work in Personnel. I read application forms from University Graduates who know not the difference between "there, their and they're"!!!!!

Keep lowering the bar in education and you reap what you sow.

:yes:

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Nessie ain't real? pfft

I work in Personnel. I read application forms from University Graduates who know not the difference between "there, their and they're"!!!!!

Don't get me started; I mange a university admissions office and some of the things we see from both prospective and current students are enough to make you chew you own hands off in despair.

Actually, some of the thing we see from academics aren't much better...

Edited by schizoidwoman
  • Like 1

Nessie ain't real? pfft

Well, hasn't the mantra from government over the last 13 years or so been 'everyone deserves to go to university no matter what their ability'

As you say, you reap what you sow. Even though previous governments have tried to create a false 'level playing field' people just arn't equal.

• Like 1

Unfortunately there are alot of people on this planet who takes pride in being a psychopath.

• Like 1

A Scottish theme to creationism... Like Creationism needed another myth added.. lol.. Well if the kids are silly enough to fall for the myth .there is no saving them .poor little mites :P

Horrible, horrible idea. I would love to see how they tie in god and nessie. Maybe nessie was gods steed of choice during his days of creation. Whole armies of angels riding lake monsters. Nessie is the devil?

Youngsters will be told that if it can be proved that dinosaurs walked the earth at the same time as man, then Darwinism is fatally flawed.

What of all the species of animals and bacteria that have been around since the dinosaurs? :blink:

Another claim taught is that a Japanese whaling boat once caught a dinosaur.

As cool as that would be...

The Zuiyo-maru carcass is a creature initially claimed to be a prehistoric plesiosaur that was caught by the Japanese fishing trawler Zuiyō Maru (瑞洋丸?) off the coast of New Zealand in 1977. Although several scientists insisted it was "not a fish, whale, or any other mammal",[1] analysis later indicated it was most likely the carcass of a basking shark by comparing the number of sets of amino acids in the muscle tissue.[2][3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuiyo-maru_carcass

It's just amazing how some people view the world.

Which is why I am against vouchers. If you want to send your kid to one of those schools fine, but not with my dime. :td:

What I would like to know is this :-

How does a government allow these types of schools to brainwash children. These poor kids are going to grow up convinced that we walked with dinosaurs and that Nessie is real!

There should be a law against it. I am all for freedom of speech but when it comes to teaching our kids, then they should be taught what is real and not what is pure and utter crap!

• Like 1

What I would like to know is this :-

How does a government allow these types of schools to brainwash children. These poor kids are going to grow up convinced that we walked with dinosaurs and that Nessie is real!

There should be a law against it. I am all for freedom of speech but when it comes to teaching our kids, then they should be taught what is real and not what is pure and utter crap!

I agree, I think this is child abuse. They are purposely making these kids stupid to keep them indoctrinated in their beliefs.

• Like 1

The lengths these people will go to is pathetic.

Nessie ain't real? pfft

That bothers me to too! Then too , improperly using the word then, rather than. . than .

And people who use . .. dots in sentences! lol But.. Long live Nessy! :)

• Like 1