Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What happened to the story games?

hooko22

Ok was wondering if some of you guys might agree with me on one thing here.

Ok anyway, you see I don't always have much time to play computer games, I work a whole lot and then when I have some time of over the summer I finally have some time to play games.

The only game that I frequently give myself time to play is streetfighter 4, I play that game all year around, but when I really want to dvelve into games and loose myself I like games with a good story, what I call a good story are games like: mass effect, baldursgate 2, neverwinternights, final fantasy, legacy of kain series, dragon age and so on.

I feel like there is a disturbing trend today tough and after playing mass effect 3 there is nothing out there, at least on the ps3, that has decent plot.

Let's take mass effect for example which I think is a good example of this trend I am talking about, mass effect was brilliant, don't get me wrong they were all brilliant but mass effect, wipes the floor with both mass effect 2 and 3 and the reason I think that is because in mass effect they focused on story and character creation, the shooting system was ridiculous, but I didn't care because it was the story I was after, then in 2 and 3, despite the fact the story was ok, it felt like to me that it got second place behind developing some kind of a shooting gamplay system, they cared more about that.

I'm very very scared where bioware is headed, if I ever hear they launch a mmo game, then I will cry and morn their games, for that would be the end.

It would be similar to the final fantasy online.

Anyway that's just my oppinion.

Let me know what you guys think!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dougal

• Vaise

• hooko22

• DKO

Top Posters In This Topic

Starwars the old republic is a bioware made MMO, and there's rumors it could already be heading for the free to play train.

Although the team that made SWTOR was not the same team who made greats such as balders gate and masseffect

I also agree, theres looks to be no great story driven games for myself this year, hence ive sold my ps3. How ever i can see my self rebuying one next year along with a vita. Games like bioshock will really pull me in.

Edited by Vaise

SWTOR was horrible, I cry when I think I paid £60 to play it for 2 and a half months =/ Avoid it like the plague.

i managed to get it for 20 pounds on release due to deals with game station, i tried my in built month but saw nothing to entice me to stay.

I knew a lot of people playing it so I got into it, boshed it to 50 in no time. then spent like a month and a half only doing PVP cos the PVE was so bad. then they released a patch which let the other faction all jump PVP levels in a day (due to the inbalance in the factions on the server). At that point I was like, dafuq? I just worked my ass off grinding this PVP rank, and some jokers got it in a day by sitting at the back of a massive mob and spawn camping? Now they can all get better gear than me, for little to no effort....and the patch to fix it........no roll back even though they admitted that it was a bug. Thanks Bioware, for shafting me.

grrr

Gimmie BG3 and I might forgive them though ;)

It's a little old now but the Metal Gear Solid series has an awesome storyline and unique gameplay.

Skyrim is a very good RPG. I like the Fallout storylines and environment better but Skyrim is more improved.

The Gears Trilogy has a decent storyline, but that's on the xbox... Same with Halo.

Games are becoming more like Movies, so there should be better games coming.

If you have a PC then Diablo 3 is really good and Guild Wars 2 has some decent story telling.

I heard about a game called Dear Esther. Apparently it's far more story than game. I've not played it though, could be worth checking out if you want more of a story. I saw it on steam a few weeks ago for like £5 so it's pretty cheap as well :)

http://dear-esther.com/?page_id=2

I heard about a game called Dear Esther. Apparently it's far more story than game. I've not played it though, could be worth checking out if you want more of a story. I saw it on steam a few weeks ago for like £5 so it's pretty cheap as well :)

http://dear-esther.com/?page_id=2

That game looks pretty cool. I was looking for an adventure game where you didn't have to kill everything that moved. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy First person shooters and heart-racing games but sometimes I just want to relax and explore lol.

Anyone ever played Leisure Suit Larry? Funny old adventure game. They're making a remake of them all too.

Has anyone ever played the text game Dragonrealms which involves interactive environment and allows your imagination to run wild, it also has NPC controlled by Game Masters that initiate events that can be shaped the world by the players actions. The history of the players are recorded creating an real life history, involving players who constant evolve the world around them. Very in-depth and very unique when it comes to MMORPGS. Even though it is texted based, it was a head of its time with the way the world is changed due to actions of multiple players. That is what I want in a Graphical MMORPG, where players feel like they are really immersed in the world, which combines Online Play with story elements of the game.

if you don't mind old games .. jade empire has the most amazing plot i seen in video game .. rpg that is

and it was made by bioware

if you don't mind old games .. jade empire has the most amazing plot i seen in video game .. rpg that is

and it was made by bioware

Hmm I do remember that game. I never did play it though. Maybe I should! :)

jade empires was an amazingly fun and imaginative and immersing game. I cant wait for the balders gate revamp ^^

Hmm I do remember that game. I never did play it though. Maybe I should! :)

you wasted half your life man .. if you into good story plot games this is the one to go

jade empires was an amazingly fun and imaginative and immersing game. I cant wait for the balders gate revamp ^^

i couldn't agree more .. you can even play it repeatedly just to explore more options

Edited by Knight Of Shadows

A sweet little Polish import called Divinity II: Ego Draconis combines a story-rich adventure game with a unique feature-rich single player RPG, so long as you play it on a PC because I hear the console ports really suck. It's well-polished in its current updated version; glitch free and buttery smooth on the highest settings. Graphics are great, the music is so good I've never turned it off during play which is as much as I can ask for out of a game. I got the download version on Amazon for $5.99 and my g/f and I are actually playing it together on weekends sharing our character. There's a big variety of graphical beauty, light puzzle solving, exploring, questing and endless character customization. Eventually in the game you get your own place complete with a multiroom solar apartment at the top of your tower, multiple floors, an elevator, a garden of alchemy, a workshop where you can enchant weapons, armor and jewelry, a personal trainer, a throne room with musician and personal dancer, runners who you can send off to get that missing ingredient so you don't have to bore yourself, necromancers who create "creatures" who work like your guard dog, and big kicker: the ability to turn into a dragon. It's a game that doesn't try too hard to be too realistic. It's a light hearted game with a light plot, but at least it makes a serious attempt at keeping up appearances of a story. It doesn't hide the fact that it is only a game and I really like that aspect. It tries to be a fun game and it succeeds. I have to play as a girl but I'm getting in touch with my feminine side.

8/10 overall; 10/10 Bang for the buck.

We might try a more serious RPG like Dragon Age after we finish this one. I'd say we're about halfway through the game and have put in over 50 hours so far.