Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

first post, possible big cat in Western Aust?

rampaging redneck

Haha that's crazy. I go forbying (four-wheel driving / off-road driving - for the non-Aussies on this page :tu: ) out there all the time.

What were they doing?

Serious?? Lol you've probably seen my rig out there, jacked up 77 F150 with an orange paint job lol.

Anyway I digress lol, I'm keen to hear more horror stories from the pines, theres something about that place after dark that gives me the heebie jeebies.

Haha there's a good chance.

Yeah that cult thing 'Wandering' brought up is intriguing. It is creepy in the pines at night, especially if you've broken down or bogged. Not much moonlight gets through and you hear crunching of leaves and branches from animals.

Hi folks, this is my first post to this forum, its good to see so many other people with the same interests in cryptozoology, I have been very interested in the subject for years and have read more books on it than I can be bothered to count.

Anyway, here's my story.

About two months ago now I was on a military excersise in a training area approx 2 hours north of Perth in very thick bushland. It was about the third night, about 2300hrs with plenty of ambient star light. I was keeping watch with night vision equipment while my pit buddy slept. Now, night vision goggles and lack of sleep makes you see some crazy s**t, such as houses in the bush, monkeys and flying saucer landings, but you know you're merely hallucinating at the time. But this time, honest to god, I saw some movement in vegetation about 100 metres from my position, and then observed a massive black feline shape dart from right to left, for about 20 meters, into a small valley. This isn't the first time a creature like this has been encountered in the area, one of my NCOs told us a story of a feline creature that would make an appearance for split seconds at a time and generally scare the crap out of soldiers on guard duty at the armoury near the accommodation blocks (where there is no lack of sleep and NVGs aren't used) by making the most blood curdling screaming howling type sounds. Anybody else heard of any large felid sightings in Western Australia?

For the record, I am also an experienced hunter and bushman and know a feral cat when I see one, this bad boy was no feral cat!

The quick movements suggest it wasn't a panther imo, even though they are out there alright. There's other spooky cryptids in the outback which are a better fit by the sounds of things.

Considering how big this feral cat is, I would think most, if not all these sighting are just very large feral cats. He only kept the tail which measured 60cm. They did tests which said it was a cat. It's in the video i posted on the first page if anyone missed it.

australian-mystery-cat-gippsland.jpg

A couple of hundred years of feral/wild cats living in the Australian bushland could possibly make them very large. Larger prey for them to eat.

I also heard that possibly the much older Dutch explorers that reached Australia could have brought them and left them behind. Four hundred years of cats in the bushlands growing larger. Then the British settlers came with cats which would have been dwarfed by by these larger cats.

I don't think there's much evidence for that except for the fact that Dutch explorers would sometimes bring cats along on on journeys.

http://library.think...story_light.htm

A bit of forced perspective in that picture, but nonetheless its still a big cat. A jaw dropper and an eye-opener...

A bit of forced perspective in that picture, but nonetheless its still a big cat. A jaw dropper and an eye-opener...

Oh yes the picture is a little misleading but the tail measured 60cm, that's longer than my cat in total haha.

Oh yes the picture is a little misleading but the tail measured 60cm, that's longer than my cat in total haha.

I wonder how many of the 'out of place' big cat sightings around the world have a similar source of feral cats. That cat could easily be called a Puma or Panther by an uneducated witness or if seen on a poor quality video.

I have been involved in 1 freaky occurence at gnangara pine plantation. Used to take our bush bashers there to thrash, destroy and set on fire until we ran across some kind of cult meeting.

iv actually come across something similar.

weird as hell.

weird as hell.

What was it? Are cult activities common in the pines? haha

Edited by DKO

I go there all the time for four wheel driving as I live pretty close, are serious????? What happened?

The most unusual thing I've seen out there is feral pig tracks.

Haha that's crazy. I go forbying (four-wheel driving / off-road driving - for the non-Aussies on this page :tu: ) out there all the time.

What were they doing?

Me and 3 mates had seperated from our main group of people with 4wds and were just smashing around in an old corolla killing it. We flew over a rise and there was this group of people in a costume reminiscent of a KKK uniform standing around a big fire all chanting some crap. We thought "right, this is a bit weird lets get out of here" so he chucked a Uie and managed to get us bogged in the sand on the side of the track. Of course then this entire group of people starts slowly walking towards us.... Could have been to help us but they were ****in weird! Everyone that wasnt driving got out and rocked it a bit and luckily enough we skidded on out, we all jumped back in and legged it the **** outta there. Don't remember seeing any cars either....Like they all walked there. Weird.

weird as hell.

In the pines? What happened to you?

Edited by Wandering

I think the pines needs its own thread lol, seems to be Western Australia's answer to Texas's "big thicket" lol :)

In regards to the cat in the video, even with generations upon generations of breeding, I find out doubtful that a feral cat could have a tail that by itself is longer than an entire domestic cat, I don't think the results of the testing that occurred were interpreted truthfully by the media in that video.

Me and 3 mates had seperated from our main group of people with 4wds and were just smashing around in an old corolla killing it. We flew over a rise and there was this group of people in a costume reminiscent of a KKK uniform standing around a big fire all chanting some crap. We thought "right, this is a bit weird lets get out of here" so he chucked a Uie and managed to get us bogged in the sand on the side of the track. Of course then this entire group of people starts slowly walking towards us.... Could have been to help us but they were ****in weird! Everyone that wasnt driving got out and rocked it a bit and luckily enough we skidded on out, we all jumped back in and legged it the **** outta there. Don't remember seeing any cars either....Like they all walked there. Weird.

Man that's creepy.

Mental note - Don't go to the pines at night.

That's a great story Wandering, I bet you all found a bit of extra strength to rock yourself out of that sand.

Mate of mine working towards Karratha has seen big feral cats, size of Kelpies, said some off the WA old times tell stories of Tassie tigers, pumas and weird looking animals around work camp sites. Here in Victoria plenty of sighting in Gipsland, Halls Gap, Lancefield way, even lion, hyena sighting towards the Dandenongs I've done some night tracking in those area, never seen anything, but a customer at work is a retired trapper in the Blue Mountains, said, lets just say that there are big kitties around, very big kitties. I keep asking my country customers about big cats, tassie tigers, they clam up and laugh it off as just big ferals.

What was it? Are cult activities common in the pines? haha

dudes in grey 'druid' type robes,

were chanting and all turned and stared as we went past.

it was night and the lights on the old jeep arnt too great. was actually very scary, looked like some form of ritual going on.

dudes in grey 'druid' type robes,

were chanting and all turned and stared as we went past.

it was night and the lights on the old jeep arnt too great. was actually very scary, looked like some form of ritual going on.

****! That's the same as mine!

****! That's the same as mine!

would appear to be the same group.

id say there probably just pagens, they done us no harm or made any attempt to get rid of us but i did feel unwelcome

would appear to be the same group.

id say there probably just pagens, they done us no harm or made any attempt to get rid of us but i did feel unwelcome

Note to self, find new four wheel driving area.

• Like 1

Note to self, find new four wheel driving area.

haha yeah im not gonna lie, im not going there unless its full daylight and im with people. even dusk scares me there.

Should probably set up game cameras there out of curiosity just to see what might be there. Would probably turn up nothing but no harm in trying I suppose.

• Like 1

Should probably set up game cameras there out of curiosity just to see what might be there. Would probably turn up nothing but no harm in trying I suppose.

That's not a bad idea. Probably catch alot of 4wding maybe some bodies being buried ;)

• Like 2

New form of income for me, blackmailing murderers lol

I wouldn't mess with them. You could wake up one night and see them through your window, walking up to your house in robes. Haha, horror movie style.

• 2 weeks later...

Was out west of NSW, and came across these prints of a cat(no claws) chasing a roo..lense cap is 5.8 cm across.

bigcatorkangaroo.jpg

You didn't actually see a big cat chasing any kangaroo though, right?

• Like 1

Nice, i wouldnt doubt it.

Welcome to the forums

Thanks,

Edited by Super-Fly