Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Controlling Your Computer With Your Eyes

Karlis

An eye-tracking device and "smart" software

Millions of people suffering from multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's, muscular dystrophy, spinal cord injuries or amputees could soon interact with their computers and surroundings using just their eyes, thanks to a new device that costs less than £40.

Read more

That is one technology that is going to be great to have in a decade(at most). Google already has some kind of iGlass(I don't remember it's name) thing in the works.

Nice, gives the less fortunate a chance to interact.

Nice find.

Wow, I got some friends who could use something like that. I tried to get something for a friend who is locked in her body with MS, but here in the States you can't get equipment like that unless you have big bucks. I don't think this would work for her though her eyes don't track. Thanks, I'll send this to a friend's MS news site

that only will result people to become cross eyed

This could open up all sorts of possibilities, though the threads title was never really a question for me, just a matter of time.

Retailers have been using eye tracking for years to monitor test subjects wandering around stores for better product placement, for me this is just an extension of this.

Could soon be time to change Google to Goggle...

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Yeah I get it, I know why people see this as good... it jsut means you haven't seen the other stuff yet... You know like where we already ahve the technology to control stuff with brainwaves... I've seen it demo's, heck they even had it on top gear.

So whay are we now going backwards to something more inferiour?!

Also I've seen the video fo that guy who controlls a robot arm through him connecting himself to a computer... Now why isn't it easy to connect it just to type. Surely that's easier than controlling an arm?

Kinda confused by technology jsut now, 1 year we hear about something incredible, the next year we hear about something that's nowhere near as advanced... I find that strange?

It is cheaper and more practical. It would also take less time to learn.

Like the begining og the text says its "a new budget device", because the tech, that is not new.

Awesome, soon the general public won't need to move at all either. We're going to evolve to a species with tiny spindly limbs, a fat torso and huge muscular eyes.

Awesome, soon the general public won't need to move at all either. We're going to evolve to a species with tiny spindly limbs, a fat torso and huge muscular eyes.

A bit like this guy...

An eye-tracking device and "smart" software

Millions of people suffering from multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's, muscular dystrophy, spinal cord injuries or amputees could soon interact with their computers and surroundings using just their eyes, thanks to a new device that costs less than £40.

Since my precious daughter is one of those with MS, I find this extremely interesting. Many, many thanks for the heads up on this article. I need to pursue it further.

Since my precious daughter is one of those with MS, I find this extremely interesting. Many, many thanks for the heads up on this article. I need to pursue it further.

Keep an eye on it :tu:

Yeah I get it, I know why people see this as good... it jsut means you haven't seen the other stuff yet... You know like where we already ahve the technology to control stuff with brainwaves... I've seen it demo's, heck they even had it on top gear.

The problem is there is no "one size fits all" or even "one size fits most" solution. Parkinson's, for example, is a neurological disorder so using brainwaves really can't be counted on to work that well. With that, I've seen the same brainwave controlled devices and I've also seen the price tags associated with them. This is a far less expensive approach that doesn't depend on brainwaves to accomplish the same end.

Kinda confused by technology jsut now, 1 year we hear about something incredible, the next year we hear about something that's nowhere near as advanced... I find that strange?

I don't see this as less advanced. Instead, I see it as a different approach to cover situations where the older tech isn't viable or isn't affordable - or both. Among other things I see it as a means for my daughter to regain some of what she's lost and retain what she has longer. Or, stated another way, it hits real close to home for me.

• Like 1

Keep an eye on it :tu:

Oh, yeah, brah. Noelle is my universe and there is no "too much" where she's concerned. :-)

• Like 1

And so it begins..

Errr ... And so what begins?

Errr ... And so what begins?

The end?

The problem is there is no "one size fits all" or even "one size fits most" solution. Parkinson's, for example, is a neurological disorder so using brainwaves really can't be counted on to work that well. With that, I've seen the same brainwave controlled devices and I've also seen the price tags associated with them. This is a far less expensive approach that doesn't depend on brainwaves to accomplish the same end.

I don't see this as less advanced. Instead, I see it as a different approach to cover situations where the older tech isn't viable or isn't affordable - or both. Among other things I see it as a means for my daughter to regain some of what she's lost and retain what she has longer. Or, stated another way, it hits real close to home for me.

Good points, didn't think abotu it from that angle.

Just used to seeing the better stuff shoved under the carpet a lot of the time. lol