Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The End Of The World Has Begun

Shabd Mystic

I think you are right about how it got its name, I heard another version of its 'naming' as a youngster. That version claimed it was so desolate it was named Greenland in order to trick people into settling there...

This is my memory of the naming as well. Even as a kid I thought it seemed a little unfair to the settlers :unsure2:
  • Like 1

Flooding of coastlines would be catastrophic but not the end of the world.

We have had coastlines change throughout history. Nothing new.

The one thing that will stop anyone from adapting is fear but even if no flooding happened just fearing would erode the quality of our present lives.

Even if flooding does happen we will adapt as we always have.

Carry on. I feel fine.

I live about ten miles from the gulf of mexico and about 20 feet above sea level. If it works out just right I could have a nice beach out my front door :w00t: Of course I would then have to worry about water as well as wind when the hurricanes come a blowin' Edited by and then
  • Like 1

if the oceans start rising too high.... just start pulling the biggest ships out.. the water they displace will compensate for the rises.

• Like 1

And the worse part, before running out of it, you weren't sharing.............. shame :innocent:

Funny how I ran out all of the sudden and you sitting there looking (all so) innocent whistling dixie, Paracelse. But thank the chocolate gods I had some forgotten hidden reserves stored away. I think you're trying to bring about the Chocolate Apocalypse. *angels sing deep baritone in the background* So I got my one pyramidal eye on you my friend. Make no mistake.

I live about ten miles from the gulf of mexico and about 20 feet above sea level. If it works out just right I could have a nice beach out my front door :w00t: Of course I would then have to worry about water as well as wind when the hurricanes come a blowin'

You hinting at the possiblity of future ocean front property? I've got some of that future ocean front property myself in Arizona, just can't seem to convince anybody yet to buy it. Maybe if I put a large ditch, full of water, around it and claim that it's part of the Pacific Ocean I might get better results.

Edited by Purifier
  • Like 2

The "end of the world" crowd should love this: :yes:

Greenland Ice Melt, Measured By NASA Satellites, Reaches Unprecedented Level.

As the end of the year approaches I find myself quite excited.

If the end comes I hope it will be impressive.

As the end of the year approaches I find myself quite excited.

If the end comes I hope it will be impressive.

Startin' to look like a dud MRW. But hope springs eternal.....

I doubt any humans will be around to see the end of the world.

Planet Earth will have eradicated it's most dangerous parasite long before then, imo.

Edited by Eldorado

Gawd, this is a barrel of laughs. Chin up, chaps.

• Like 1

Go straight to the top of the class, first man to link climate warming to depleted uranium, I couldn't have done that, even with the help of magic mushrooms

you don't seem to even be in the class, bro..?

don't you get it? honestly?

...the same forces that are screaming climate change are the ones dumping the DU.

don't you get this?

...it's like; say i'm a window repairman, so i go around at night smashing windows to increase my business during the day

don't you get this?

really?

and you're smart, are ya? thinking you could make me look silly?

Don't you think that the future of our species on this planet is slightly more important than a damn tax, and that this may be the sort of thing we can't afford to get wrong, regardless of what "the system" (whatever that is) says?

of course LIVING THINGS are worth more than some damn tax...

what's happened here is; you've had your window smashed during the night.. and the same person is now knocking on your front door, handing you his business card, introducing himself as a repairer of windows..

you either get it or you don't.

and you're smart, are ya? thinking you could make me look silly?

You're doing a pretty good job of making yourself look silly without needing my help !

don't you get it? honestly?

...the same forces that are screaming climate change are the ones dumping the DU.

don't you get this?

I think you need to expand your argument to include a smattering of facts. So, the climate change proponents are moonlighting as makers of high-penetration munitions, is that it ?

It's not just the global warming, something's going on with weather in general - here in central Europe was winter in December always snowy. That was like ten years ago. Now we have to wait for snow til' January or even February. This winter is followed by three weeks or month of "regular" spring. Then comes something like a spring-summer. It's really strange, it hasn't been like this.

• Like 1

Could you esssplain to me why various governments are pushing those clunkers called hybrids when their carbon foot print on a period of 10 years is larger than that of a Hummer H2?

Read more here and this is the interesting part.

Because you have to start somewhere. You don't get nuclear power without developing coal power first. To develop a mode of transport that is less damaging to the environment, you have to go through certain steps. One that spews out less greenhouse gases is a start. All the while they'll be working on making the beginning and end of the product life more environmentally friendly.

This is how technology works. You don't just get new, fully formed, perfect solutions straight off the production line. It takes time and investment. And that isn't a reason to run back to your gas guzzling Hummer.

I doubt any humans will be around to see the end of the world.

Planet Earth will have eradicated it's most dangerous parasite long before then, imo.

Probably, but for us our demise will be seen as the 'end of the world'...

We are a bit self-centered like that ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Probably, but for us our demise will be seen as the 'end of the world'...

We are a bit self-centered like that ;)

I know. I used the phrase on purpose. ;)

• Like 1

I know. I used the phrase on purpose. ;)

Aha! I shall now add another wink, for winkings sake. ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

And the worse part, before running out of it, you weren't sharing.............. shame :innocent:

Yeah share damit, starvin here

Edited by Incognito Nite

The End of the World has Begun!

Ahhh, So a rise in UFO sightings is akin to vultures circling the dying?

Because you have to start somewhere. You don't get nuclear power without developing coal power first. To develop a mode of transport that is less damaging to the environment, you have to go through certain steps. One that spews out less greenhouse gases is a start. All the while they'll be working on making the beginning and end of the product life more environmentally friendly.

This is how technology works. You don't just get new, fully formed, perfect solutions straight off the production line. It takes time and investment. And that isn't a reason to run back to your gas guzzling Hummer.

There are way more simpler technologies like for example biodiesel (the technology exist it's just not exploited because it would hurt the wallets of few people which shall remain nameless) (heck like dubya's dad and his co-conspirator with whom I wouldn't go hunting, the bin ladin family of terrorists fame the saudis the quataris et few others). Another way would be to limit the number of children per family, another way would be to stop buying the useless crap like 10 D photon plasma TV's, paying the kardashians, heck... I'm going to lunch because the list is too long and I would die of hunger before arriving half way through.

The whole reason Greenland was called Greenland, was because when the first Viking explorers went there, the place was GREEN!!! NOT WHITE, so it looks like Greenland is going back to what it was over 1000 yrs ago! So the little Ice Age has ended!!!!!

The whole reason Greenland was called Greenland, was because when the first Viking explorers went there, the place was GREEN!!! NOT WHITE, so it looks like Greenland is going back to what it was over 1000 yrs ago! So the little Ice Age has ended!!!!!

I thought it was just the place they landed at that was green thus the name. They soon discovered the rest of the place was frozen.

Funny how many variations of the naming of Greenland have popped up in this thread, obviously I am the only one who could be possibly right. ;)

"The End of the World Has Begun" such a panic-mongering title for a natural event, don't ya think?

• Like 1

"The End of the World Has Begun" such a panic-mongering title for a natural event, don't ya think?

Yup, but if you want people to read your thread...

The first line of the OP sorts the title out though ;)

There are way more simpler technologies like for example biodiesel (the technology exist it's just not exploited because it would hurt the wallets of few people which shall remain nameless) (heck like dubya's dad and his co-conspirator with whom I wouldn't go hunting, the bin ladin family of terrorists fame the saudis the quataris et few others). Another way would be to limit the number of children per family, another way would be to stop buying the useless crap like 10 D photon plasma TV's, paying the kardashians, heck... I'm going to lunch because the list is too long and I would die of hunger before arriving half way through.

Bio-diesel has its own problems. It works as a technology but it means a huge amount of grain that could be used for food is being used to power cars. An huge amount. This is not something that is working towards being fixed - we can only grow a certain amount of grain.

And how would you limit the size of families the world over??

• Like 1