Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cheetah Breaks Speed Record

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Sarah the cheetah has shattered the world record for the standing 100-meter dash, clocking a time of 5.95 seconds—making Olympian Usain Bolt's world record of 9.58 seconds look positively stodgy by comparison.

On a USA Track & Field-certified course established by the Cincinnati Zoo, the 11-year-old cheetah was radar-timed at up to 61 miles (98 kilometers) an hour, according to a Thursday announcement by zoo officials and National Geographic magazine. The magazine photographed Sarah and other zoo cheetahs for a project to be featured in its November issue, which will include unprecedented high-speed pictures.

I assume it may just be for an animal in captivity but still mightily impressive.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/08/120802-cheetah-sarah-cincinnati-zoo-fastest-record-science-usain-bolt-olympics/

• Like 4

I hope Sarah was tested for drugs, with her being a known cheetah.

:)

Thats a good one.. :lol:

• Like 2

Thats a good one.. :lol:

It really was!

• Like 3

That is one fast cat. I believe if it was chasing me I could out run it screaming all the was. Just Give me 3 steps

• Like 1

only 30% faster than human.

(50%) Sorry, the mathematician in me got annoyed :P Very impressive though.

• Like 1

I hope Sarah was tested for drugs, with her being a known cheetah.

:)

You git!!!!!! :)

• Like 1

For anyone interested in cheetahs,I highly recommend this movie. It's a tear jerker,but the animal is incredible,and its not sappy.

• Like 1

cheetahs have 4 legs humans have 2. cheetahs run to catch their food humans sit on the couch munching potato chips. i think tat explains why humans are inferior to cheetahs when it comes to speed

• Like 1

Sara should replace Chester Cheetah as the icon for Cheetos.

Instead of "Cheetos That Go Crunch", make it "Cheetos That Go Fast.

• Like 1

cheetahs have 4 legs humans have 2. cheetahs run to catch their food humans sit on the couch munching potato chips. i think tat explains why humans are inferior to cheetahs when it comes to speed

I'm sure all of those athletes appreciate you calling them couch potatoes....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The previous holder of this record was a male cheetah called Nyana-Spier. Before His death Nyana-Spier lived at the Cheetah Outreach Project then based at the Spier Wine Estate, Stellenbosch near Cape Town.

In 2001 I visited South Africa and I went to the Cheetah Outreach Project. For a small fee you could enter a cage (with two keepers) and stroke a cheetah. I was lucky enough to get to stroke Nyana-Spier, the world's fastest land animal.

• Like 1