Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The modern-day virgin birth

Still Waters

Emmimarie Jones knew her daughter had been conceived without a father; in 1956, she almost convince the world she was right.

On November 6 1955, a story appeared on the front page of the Sunday Pictorial that was to double the newspaper’s circulation in a single day. Sporting the headline, “Doctors now say it doesn’t always need a man to make a baby”, the tabloid shouted that virgin births were no myth, and that there was a scientist who could prove it. The rare biological process which would enable this to happen was known as parthenogenesis, the paper informed its readers.

But the Pictorial’s editors didn’t stop there. Halfway down the page appeared three words, in bold block capitals: “Find The Case”. Sensationally, the paper was inviting women to come forward if they believed their daughters were the result of a virgin birth. If any woman’s case was proved correct, by a panel of leading doctors, she and her daughter were set to make medical – indeed, human – history. For the next year, the search for a virgin mother would grip the nation, and the world. The paper’s circulation figures, meanwhile, grew to an unprecedented six million.

http://www.telegraph...rgin-birth.html

What a different world we live in. I doubt very many women today would immediately jump to the conclusion "virgin birth" if they came home from surgery pregnant...

It's physically impossible to give birth to a child without an inseminated egg. This story is absolute nonsense.

Edited by Alienated Being
  • Like 2

Something had to of happened in that hospital and she just doesn't remember it.

Well, we're close... Some women develop dermoid cysts.

"A Dermoid cyst is a cystic teratoma that contains developmentally mature skin complete with hair follicles and sweat glands, sometimes clumps of long hair, and often pockets of sebum, blood, fat,bone, nails, teeth, eyes, cartilage, and thyroidtissue." Wikipedia

these don't require sperm to develop. Maybe we humans are becoming hermaphrodites!

Hope not but meh... What ya gonna do? Lol

Edited by Lava_Lady

these don't require sperm to develop. Maybe we humans are becoming hermaphrodites!

That's not going to help with the problem of overpopulation :)

Something had to of happened in that hospital and she just doesn't remember it.

I think this is probably what took place. Without DNA analysis all this can ever be is a story.

That's not going to help with the problem of overpopulation :)

Definitely not, and won't be as enjoyable as the actual way! Lol

• Like 1

Back in the 1980s, right after Civil Unions were passed in Vermont, I went to my favorite swimming holes (several locations). At one location on the West River I saw a bunch of young girls down stream having a great time in the river current. Upstream and around the bend, I could see two couples of men "celebrating" Civil Unions right in the middle of the river. My first thought was that I had discovered the secret of virgin births. My second thought was that I did not want to go swimming, and went back home.

I saw this behavior among men at many locations. At the public ledges on Lake Whitingham, I counted eleven couples of men standing bare naked in plain view of the lake, and on the ledges they were having sex with each other, even as the local tour boat was passing by on the lake. I did not feel like swimming on that day, either.

One can easily imagine that women sharing bathing and swimming water with men could easily have caused unexplained pregnancies throughout the ages.

An old girlfriend of mine claimed that when she was 15 she had an abortion and said that she was a virgin at the time. There was male involvement. She said her boyfriend ejaculated on her crotch after they had been messing around and apparently that's all it took. So virgin pregnancy?

• Like 2

ok, so since we are trying to prove if this Fairy-tale is real, why don't we try to prove that a bean stalk could actually reach the clouds! Sounds more believable to me anyway :)

An old girlfriend of mine claimed that when she was 15 she had an abortion and said that she was a virgin at the time. There was male involvement. She said her boyfriend ejaculated on her crotch after they had been messing around and apparently that's all it took. So virgin pregnancy?

That's given me the laugh for the evening.

Thank you good sir.

:lol:

• Like 1

Seriously? Shows how determined sperm are.

Back to sex ed 101 for some of you. A woman absolutely cannot get pregnant by being in sperm laden water. Not in a river, lake, pool, jacuzzi, tub etc.

I know some men think they have super sperm but they would not survive long in any of those conditions.

That's just one reason why that scenario isn't possible.

Edited by Lava_Lady

That's given me the laugh for the evening.

Thank you good sir.

Unfortunately, it's been proven that that can happen. Isn't too likely, but can happen if the little guys are healthy enough and the girl just wiped and didn't wash.

This has been known to occur in sharks and other life forms, I don't think it's ever happened to mammals. Maybe she's part shark, it is shark week after all.

• Like 1

What about that Jesus bloke, wasn't that a Virgin Birth? Now if only I could remember his mothers name...

Edited by Junior Chubb

Interesting read. May I add there are some females that have both X&Y , they are the genuine genetic normal looking females but still hermorphadites internally. Very few case studies have even been able to have healthy births. I think it might be possible if they had their internal male gonades were very close to the uterus and stimulated hormone levels. Very likely a tubal conception if it happened by some miracle. But in these instances I think fetus would still be genetically different. Some of these xxy type of women are theorized to have been conceived as a twin but combined some of the genes of a deceased male twin not necessarily an identical twin. Their mothers had periods during pregnancy because it was actually residual of a deceased male twin. Weird stuff could happen but proving a virgin birth would still be unlikely. I believe it is an impossibilty for a normal xx female, we're not guppies.

Right SO I wish I found this thread...

Ok I read this article "Are virgin births possible ?" http://www.unexplain...s.php?id=231926

That took me to the article http://www.telegraph...rgin-birth.html

Now, this seems impossible for human beings, but as a topic I tried to examine the thought from an objective point.

For those of you who do not know parthenogenesis, also known as virgin birth, is the ability some species have which allows the females to have offspring in the absence of males.

In order for such a thing to happen in a human, the egg, haploid or half the chromosomes, would need to spontanously duplicate itself to be diploid for the correct number of chromosomes.

The article was published 1955. Given the level of science then I question the validity of the screening.

"As Spurway knew, a normal, unfertilised egg only has one set of DNA. This means that any offspring produced through parthenogenesis could never have features that its mother did not. That, Spurway thought, was the key to proving a case of true virgin birth in a human."

Spurway assumes that the egg stays haploid, which is inviable. If the Chromosomes duplicated then you may not get all the traits you see in the mother.

For example: B=Brown eyes (dominate), b=blue eyes (recessive). If The mother Has brown eyes, but carries the gene for blue eyes, she can have a child with blue eyes.

Bb=Mother ---> miosis --> B or b. --> duplication --> BB or bb

If one set of a haploid cell duplicated this person could have only the genes for brown eyes or only blue eyes.

The assumption about parthenogenesis is that it is complete cloning. There is evidence that this may not be.

Many of us have heard about parthenogenesis in snakes. What is interesting is the sex chromosomes for snakes is ZZ - males, and ZW - females.

I read another article about this topic: http://news.bbc.co.u...000/9139971.stm

"Essentially they are half clones of their mother," says Dr Booth.

Half-clones DOES NOT mean Haploid.

The article examines the snake's fatherless offspring and discovers that all of them were WW. This seems to point to the concept of hapliod duplication into diploid embryos.

I don't think that they had the proper technology to evaluate genetics. They assume that a half-clone would be the exactly the same as the mother. They also do not acount for any possible mutations. Mutation occur, in the gametes which result in small variation which the parent(s) did not have. Any mutation could cause a problem.

We don't seem to want to explore the possiblity of virgin birth. This is most likely the result of fear; Imagine: Only abstainance is 100% effective There is no guarantee to aviod pregnancy!

It is worth a discusion I feel.

It is were me, with immaculate conception, I would never ever tell!!

What about that Jesus bloke, wasn't that a Virgin Birth? Now if only I could remember his mothers name...

She was called Frank.

Honest.

• Like 1