Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oregon-New Species of Spider

Simbi Laveau

Okay. I don't mind spiders, really....but this one has claws? No thanks.

:o

Like I said ,fffunnnnkkkyyyy ...and its like 3 inches long ....oh heeellllll no .....

• Like 1

Because that's what we need. MORE spiders. :cry:

• Like 2

Did you look at the picture....its a doozie

While I'm not overly fond of spiders (except Jumping Spiders, they're neat!) without them the insect population and its assault on our food supply, would soar to the point where we might all die of starvation. So they do provide a very valuable service, and you are unlikely to run into this species unless you go caving in Oregon.

• Like 1

I don't like spiders, especially the big ones that come inside the house in the autumn.

The new spider has been formally called Trogloraptor marchingtoni, but is commonly being called the cave robber spider.

They've called it a different name in this link - a few more pics too. Its colour is quite nice, I can't believe I said that!

http://www.telegraph...in-US-cave.html

I don't like spiders, especially the big ones that come inside the house in the autumn.

The new spider has been formally called Trogloraptor marchingtoni, but is commonly being called the cave robber spider.

They've called it a different name in this link - a few more pics too. Its colour is quite nice, I can't believe I said that!

http://www.telegraph...in-US-cave.html

It's terrifying from that angle !

*flees*

Another creature to add to the bestiary that is my nightmares.

Uuggghhh... I could have done without this.

Me no like spiders.

• Like 1

3" really isn't that big - try the huntsman in oz, you don't want to come across that when walking to the loo, although completely harmless.

Well at least it would help me with my purpose in the loo...I hope not prematurely though :)

Seriously though... I wonder what it is about this part of creation that makes so many people fearful? I guess it's a primal memory (if such exist) of the danger of their bites?

Edited by and then

We have some new spiders in Seattle too, or at least some that I have never seen before. Big and hairy and I really hope they don't bite. Its probably not that big for some folks, because I am from Seattle (we generally have little bugs because of the cold weather). I have seen one about six inches in diameter, you can make out their whole face, and count their toes... smh too much, very scary I had to kill one and it probably was nice but scared the hell out of me. Green slime came out of it, or kind of like mucus. oh it was nasty...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Trogloraptor marchingtoni. Interesting. And to think it was found so close to my current residence. I never saw it coming. I'll have to get out to those caves and have a look for myself one of these days.