Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

High-Resolution Color Images from Gale Crater

Waspie_Dwarf

Glavkosmos was a different thing really. It was not really a Soviet "NASA". It was more a governmental organisation that dealt with trade and international cooperation in space. It was through Glavkosmos that Warsaw Pact and other Soviet allied nations personnel got to fly on Soyuz flights and later to Salyut 6. As the cold war thawed nations like France also flew crew members to the station via this organisation.

I wondered about that. I used to have a Glavkosmos patch, along with a collection of other agency & mission patches of the ESA, Glavkosmos, the Japanese space agency, &, of course, NASA. No idea where they've gotten to after movin at least twice.

the Japanese space agency,

The Japanese situation used to be even more complex, they used to have 2 space agencies, NaSDA and ISAS. They've now merged into the one, JAXA.

And a very nice scrollable panorama here - it's a bit like being there - eerie and barren, yet compellingly beautiful... Can't wait for it to set off on its travels

Just as an aside, I note that this Mars mission seems to have attracted attention like none before it.. is that perhaps a sign that we do hunger to explore our solar system, and that 40+ years after Apollo we are getting rather desperate for something a bit more substantial...?

I hope so - I'd love to see the space program get back on track.. Thanks JPL, NASA and all the other contributors to this mission - it's looking very promising indeed and is off to a wonderful start.

Fantastic PAN, Chrlzs !

We'll be nearly able to say, , "We stood on Mars!" when we see some of the imagery from this mission ...AND THE SCIENCE POTENTIAL HERE... EXCITING, AND iNSPIRING!

:yes:

:tsu: :tsu:

• Like 1

The Japanese situation used to be even more complex, they used to have 2 space agencies, NaSDA and ISAS. They've now merged into the one, JAXA.

Interesting. & I've heard about the Indian mission to Mars. The Chinese have a Lunar or Martian mission planned within the next few years.

Fantastic PAN, Chrlzs !

We'll be nearly able to say, , "We stood on Mars!" when we see some of the imagery from this mission ...AND THE SCIENCE POTENTIAL HERE... EXCITING, AND iNSPIRING!

:yes:

:tsu: :tsu:

NICE. I bookmarked it. I wonder if there'll be VR scenarios in the future to prepare astro / cosmonauts for excursions to Mars ? I also think that an Opportunity - type mobile laboratory could be sent to Europa or Titan within 15- 20 years. If not by NASA, then ESA / Roscosmos.

Gas wont last , Just Look at us here on earth ! The more Mexican food I eat the more Gas I make,butt Curiosity GOt no good Mexican food to eat up there ! :tu:

D, you keep generating greenhouse gasses and Al Gore will be coming to Texas and lecture you, and move to ban you and your smoker!

He'll take your incandescent light bulks, disable your smoker, make you cleanse your bowels, and D's holiday BBQ will wind up being cancelled!

:no::td::cry:

A smokin' grill is a terrible thing to waste!

:w00t:

It's like Science Fiction come true. The ultimate CCTV. Mind you, no matter how I twiddled the thing I couldn't see anyone, or any water, for that matter.

Better drive the thing up to the top of that there hill and have another look...

It's like Science Fiction come true. The ultimate CCTV. Mind you, no matter how I twiddled the thing I couldn't see anyone, or any water, for that matter.

Better drive the thing up to the top of that there hill and have another look...

It'll send us Tweets as well as pictures & data. I've subscribed to Curiosity's Twitter feed.

Why are bits blacked out?

I take it you didn't read the original post. Had you done so you would have read this:

The black areas indicate high-resolution images not yet returned by the rover.

We'll be starting with a rather lengthy process of power-up and configuring for surface OPS, then they'll carefully and slowly move out toward rhe foothills of Mt. Sharp, the target, to look for signs of water, and the possibility of microbial life, present, or past.

It is thought, based upon layering observed at the mountain, that Gale Crater may have been a lake bed at one time. That "hill" out there is taller than 194 of the tallest 200 moutains in the United States *(it's about a 16,000 footer!)

I think the summit isn't on Curiosity's agenda...

:tu:

Why hasn't anyone thought about landing a geological ( Areseological ? ), etc., probe on the top of Olympus Mons ? It would take lifetimes to explore the solar system's largest known volcano - both in machine & possibly human years ! If not NASA, then the Russian, European or Japanese space agencies.

Why hasn't anyone thought about landing a geological ( Areseological ? ), etc., probe on the top of Olympus Mons ? It would take lifetimes to explore the solar system's largest known volcano - both in machine & possibly human years ! If not NASA, then the Russian, European or Japanese space agencies.

Landing on top of a 15 mile high mountain is likely to pose all sorts of problems, not least trying to pin point terrain that is flat enough to land safely on. No point going all that way just to crash.

Hmm..... Got to wonder how long it would take to land at the base of Olympus Mons, then climb progressively upwards. On the other hand, a Mars Rover devoted to Valles Marineris might find some interesting things, like how the valley was carved. A succession of Rovers relaying data to each other would be interesting. Safety in numbers & all that.

Hmm..... Got to wonder how long it would take to land at the base of Olympus Mons, then climb progressively upwards.

Climbing Olympus Mons from the base would be nearly impossible. The entire base is encircled by sheer cliffs up to 5 miles high.

• Like 1

Climbing Olympus Mons from the base would be nearly impossible. The entire base is encircled by sheer cliffs up to 5 miles high.

Valles Marineris, then. Stay close to the surface, hopefully, no Marsquakes, tremors, etc.

Landing on top of a 15 mile high mountain is likely to pose all sorts of problems, not least trying to pin point terrain that is flat enough to land safely on. No point going all that way just to crash.

I saw a BBC documentary a while back about Curiosity and one of the NASA guys being interviewed said that one of the ironies about Mars exploration is that in order to ensure a safe landing they end up picking large boring flat areas of Mars that aren't particularly scientifically geologically interesting compared with other places on Mars they might prefer to explore and do experiments on.

But Curiosity's landing target was much smaller than that of previous landers, so maybe new technology will allow NASA to further shrink their targets and put future rovers in all sorts of weird and wonderful places on the surface.

Valles Marineris, then. Stay close to the surface, hopefully, no Marsquakes, tremors, etc.

That's the area that I also think is most promising. It's very deep,and the atmosphere will be thicker.

That's the area that I also think is most promising. It's very deep,and the atmosphere will be thicker.

Of course it'll be covering an area that would stretch roughly from the Bay area to NY, more area than Curiosity could cover in its short mechanical life. Hence we'd need multiple Roving labs.

HEnce we need Man on Mars ! This Is how to really explore ! Whats up Earth people ? Got no Chahone`s

Oh ! Oh ITs the money thing again ! Right ! PRINT MORE thats how you get it done !

HEnce we need Man on Mars ! This Is how to really explore ! Whats up Earth people ? Got no Chahone`s

Oh ! Oh ITs the money thing again ! Right ! PRINT MORE thats how you get it done !

Get the private sector involved. Maybe Richard Branson has the cajones as well as the money.

It takes a village as they say ! The trick is convincing all the Villages to kick in !

I sure dont mind my tax dollars going up to look.

Tax dollars, donations from individuals, multi national & mega corporations, think - tanks, even contributions from James Cameron, Bill Gates, & people like that. If the people who were in charge of The Planetary Society & National Space Society contributed some of their members income, it might go some ways.....

Tax dollars, donations from individuals, multi national & mega corporations, think - tanks, even contributions from James Cameron, Bill Gates, & people like that. If the people who were in charge of The Planetary Society & National Space Society contributed some of their members income, it might go some ways.....

i I understood you for a moment there, until you suggested that a crime be committed; that a couple of organizations contributed their members incomes to the cause.

In other words, theft of private property...

I meant their members' contributions, or a portion thereof.