Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Necromancy

The OP asked for a scientific answer. We can rule out souls...

At our current technological level, it is impossible to revive the dead or store their memories as information for later revival attempts.

However, both of these things are within the realm of theoretical possibility. With a greater understanding of how the electricity and chemicals on and around our bodies work, and in what ways the physical structure of a brain affects the personality and memories, we could possibly sculpt a brain with the information built into it. And that's only one possible option.

Edit: Also with advancements in nanotechnology, it's probably possible to have the nanobots reconstruct and replace deteriorated or deteriorating biological parts. With that we could possibly revive dead tissue, and when enough dead tissue becomes living tissue, the whole organism should spring to life. Of course, it probably won't behave as it did before, unless it died very recently or was somehow preserved.

Edited by Xetan

That's true Xetan, but if you go back a hundred or so years we can do things, medically speaking, that probably looks a lot like "magic" to people from that time. Get an infection? Pretty much have to cut it off, if you can or you're a goner. The flu was one of the biggest killer diseases of the last century and second only to the Plague of medieval times. Now, unless you have serious health issues, the flu is an inconvenience more than anything else.

I'm just saying that in another hundred or so years, who knows what we'll have, if someone dies and you can get them back to a hospital in time before they go "bad", they might be able to jump-start them again.

souls are not proven false by science. so can't rule it out.

i saw something online about some guy transplanting 1 munkys brain into another live monkeys body. the trans plant was a success but the monkey diead because they didn't know anything about nerves and the monkey could breath in oxgyen it need to live. and suffacated.

you could transfear your memorys to and live on in another body. but such tech to record your memorys has not been made yet. basically you record them or copy your brain. each brain is diffrent from one another.

people who die that are close to makeing a breakveiw for humanity where able to comeback from a recent beath to finish what they started could change every ones life.

The soul cannot yet be measured, so science cannot rule it out . . . (little trick I picked up from the god believers here :nw: )

souls are not proven false by science. so can't rule it out.

i saw something online about some guy transplanting 1 munkys brain into another live monkeys body. the trans plant was a success but the monkey diead because they didn't know anything about nerves and the monkey could breath in oxgyen it need to live. and suffacated.

you could transfear your memorys to and live on in another body. but such tech to record your memorys has not been made yet. basically you record them or copy your brain. each brain is diffrent from one another.

people who die that are close to makeing a breakveiw for humanity where able to comeback from a recent beath to finish what they started could change every ones life.

Exactly, A soul hasn't been proven false or true, no decent evidence either. I'm not saying it's not possible but it can't be answered scientifically, which is what the OP was asking.

No brain transplant on any vertebrate has ever been done. Head transplants have, on a few animals, they were even able to see, hear, taste and bite.

http://en.wikipedia....Head_transplant

http://en.wikipedia....rain_transplant

Edited by DKO

The soul cannot yet be measured, so science cannot rule it out . . . (little trick I picked up from the god believers here :nw: )

Haha I like that. I guess we'll just have to wait for a soulmeter to be invented.

Did you ever wander wether you could bring back the dead? I aim to find information related to the "mystical" art of bringing

back dead people, or wether you can do it in a more scientific way (say keep a record of their memories and create a new body)

or wether it is COMPLETELY impossible. (I say completely, if you are interested to know why then why not google "parallel dimensions theory")

I am trying to be realistic, NO I do not want to bring back the dead, this is simply hypothetical and out of curiosity.

If you believe/disbelieve then please comment, please give reasons for your opinions.

Thanks.

Interesting post.

Well, Necromancy as a subject in myth/folklore has always interested me. For sometime id forgotton about it but when I seen it being mentioned on 'True Blood' I think it was in season 4 I remembered. However, I didnt do a whole lot of researching into it.

Personally and in my own opinion, I think to bring back the dead is disrespectful, you know the old saying 'Do not speak ill of the dead', or something along those lines.

Regardless of our current technological advances which IMo aint great I dont see the point. I mean once the decomp process starts, well.

Can you imagine resurrecting someone with half a brain and they fart whats left of there insides out? :P

I think other than the fact of resurrecting someone to see if it'd work i believe its pointless.

Im not a man of faith but I do believe that we all have our path in life, regardless of what it may be.

On a final note, interesting post, thumbs up :tu:

its probably possible with the science the government has today

Rotting bodies does not appeal to me, so no.

its probably possible with the science the government has today

What science is that?

• Like 1

but the way science is going today, you could have your DNA saved and the scientist can grow a whole new you someday soon! (without a soul of course!).

Too creepy to think about. :wacko:

Altered DNA to extend like, the mark of the beast.

• Like 1

Scientifically, if your very delicate brain tissues are not somehow preserved within about 15 minutes of your death, I'm afraid you're gone forever. Freezing is unlikely to be the answer. If you don't believe me, there's a very simple experiment you can do. Leave a tomato in the freezer overnight, then thaw it out. See what happens? Well, that's your brain. It should be added that, since we still don't understand exactly how the human brain works, but we do know that various energies are involved, it's very doubtful indeed that freezing the thing solid and then meticulously repairing it on the cellular level with nanobots, assuming this is ever possible, would actually restore your memories and personality. Your best bet is never to be biologically dead at all. Good luck with that!

Spiritually, your survival in any form at all requires some sort of deity to arrange it. Therefore returning somebody from the dead means that you need to strike a bargain with an entity who is automatically vastly superior to you, and, depending on your belief-system, may actually control every aspect of the Universe. Again, good luck with that. You will notice that almost all religions either make this an incredibly rare thing, or give everyone the ability to reincarnate with a convenient case of amnesia. So I'm afraid that unless you take zombie movies way too seriously, or you belong to one of those bonkers micro-religions consisting of ten people who all know they're Joan of Arc, you might as well accept the inevitable.

I haven't mentioned any form of copying for the following reason. Let's assume that I have an identical twin (which, by the way, I don't). My twin is genetically identical to me, and technically a clone. I die, but my twin does not. Am I still alive? No, of course not - identical twins are a fairly common thing known throughout human history, and nobody believes anything that stupid about them. I am dead, but somebody a lot like me lives on. Why would any conceivable method of copying prevent me from dying any better than this? Sorry, mate, you're on a non-starter!

After hearing this story from childhood... I have never had an interest in raising the dead other than in video games.

The Monkey's Paw

• Like 1

I dont think itll be possible even with technology because unless they can solve a way for the brain to keep funtioning and keep it alive I think its an impossibilty. Then you add in the soul even if you could get a soul does it just turn all funtions back on in the body even if the bodys been brain dead for centuries??

This is why people are now cloning deceased pets . The animal is not even close,usually,to the original animal.

So in a sense,cloning is necromancy of a type .

I wish I could have a lot of people back,but I can wait til I go to them,to see them all again .

• Like 2

Do you think even the smallest spell is possible? If so, than so is necromancy.

I think it's morally wrong to resurrect someone. Death can really change a person.

Seriously, have we learnt nothing from Buffy?

• Like 1

I mean there have been a few people to have themselves frozen at death in hopes a cure for their illness will be found someday. How they plan to actually bring them back I don't know. There are accounts of Voo-Doo bringing the dead back for short periods of times. Are you sure the dead always want to be brought back? Have you seen or read Stephen King's, Pet Cemetary?

I mean there have been a few people to have themselves frozen at death in hopes a cure for their illness will be found someday. How they plan to actually bring them back I don't know. There are accounts of Voo-Doo bringing the dead back for short periods of times. Are you sure the dead always want to be brought back? Have you seen or read Stephen King's, Pet Cemetary?

you realize thats a fiction novel

I do think Necromancy may be remotely possible, but I d also believe that stuff like this should not be messed with, nor should any other type of dark magic, only because things such as this can be considered extremely dangerous.

I do think Necromancy may be remotely possible, but I d also believe that stuff like this should not be messed with, nor should any other type of dark magic, only because things such as this can be considered extremely dangerous.

I agree, theres way to many things that could go wrong

Definitely.

The definition of necromancy is the practice of supposedly communicating witht the spirts of the dead in order to predict the future. Some examples of communicating have been to bring them back physically from the dead but it is for the purpose of divinity not to just hang out or see them again.. I think if you are going to bring someone back or try to reach the deceased, if possible, you should have a good reason that isn't based on being selfish. I think that once the body (shell) of a person is gone they of course deteriorate because they are made of organic matter, so bring them back isn't possible but their spirit is a different matter.

well i would want to bring someone from the dead except theres a chance he or she will become a zombie