Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient mystery of why the sky is blue!?

MERC12

There's one born every minute. I see a hand full in here right now.

<3 <3 <3

I could watch this for ever.

Strangely compelling.

Dial up? Are you also from 1996? How're those free AOL disk treating you?

I am drunk right now. :tu:

I live in a 'town' of 300 over an hour away from the nearest 'major centre' (a 'city' of 20,000).

Down side: No highspeed, no Chinese food, no public transit.

Plus side: No cops, no crime, no streetlights, no traffic, no pollution, no cell service. That, and apparently I'm 16 years younger than my chronological age! :)

I am however not drunk yet (but that's just a time-zone thing). I'll catch up.

P.S.: I am in fact communicating through a Dell Dimension 4100 on Internet Explorer 6. I'm a Luddite waiting for for the entire internet to tell me to 'bugger off'.

How's the future going by the way?

Edited by Likely Guy

I live in a 'town' of 300 over an hour away from the nearest 'major centre' (a 'city' of 20,000).

Down side: No highspeed, no Chinese food, no public transit.

Plus side: No cops, no crime, no streetlights, no traffic, no pollution, no cell service. That, and apparently I'm 16 years younger than my chronological age! :)

I am however not drunk yet (but that's just a time-zone thing). I'll catch up.

P.S.: I am in fact communicating through a Dell Dimension 4100 on Internet Explorer 6. I'm a Luddite waiting for for the entire internet to tell me to 'bugger off'.

How's the future going by the way?

The future is amazing! We have all the things you want and all the things you don't want! Also, we've grown technologically enough that we have no use of simple programs like Internet Explorer and use the much superior Chrome and Firefox. Also, we all have AIDS.

• Like 3

Now, if only someone would explain to me why an orange is orange.

• Like 1

The future is amazing! We have all the things you want and all the things you don't want! Also, we've grown technologically enough that we have no use of simple programs like Internet Explorer and use the much superior Chrome and Firefox. Also, we all have AIDS.

I'm not sure that I want to go there, 'Futureman'.

P.S.: 'AIDS', that's the diatery supplement, right?

Edited by Likely Guy

I'm going to agree this is NOT an ancient mystery.

I'm also going to agree that the Blue sky has NOTHING to do with the color of any air molecules. If you look into a glass container or balloon of 100% oxygen it is NOT blue.

It has everything to do with the size of the air molecules and how the visible wavelengths of light refract of them in the atmosphere. Oxygen and Nitrogen happen to be the more common molecules and thus we have a blue sky due to the size of those molecules.

Also, I'm going to agree that blue veins do not mean oxygen is present, the "blue" blood is actually oxygen deprived, and that is why when blood comes into the air, like from a cut, it immediately turns red... You'll never see "blue" blood where there is oxygen.

• Like 1

- post removed -

I wonder if your poor attitude has anything to do with why people treat you so ****ty? BTW Don't talk **** about the World. Just because you can't handle truths, don't give you the right to blame the world. It's obvious where the problem is, your perception of the world. BTW not one person seems to be bowing down to you for starting a thread! Is that even a mature reason to start one to begin with? BOW DOWN TO ME MY MINIONS, THE SKY IS BLUE!! Whoop Deeee Doooooo, It's not a mystery to even a 2nd grade science student. Perhaps you should have composed this thread back Before Christ. You might have wooed even one person then. My hat's off to you sir!

• Like 4

I'm not sure that I want to go there, 'Futureman'.

Too late. Us 'Futuremen' as you call us (we prefer AIDS riddled monkey men) have a temporal lock on you with our... ummm.. future technology. You cannot help but become one of us!!

(Kidding aside, apart from the lack of broadband, seems like a nice place. I lost a bid on a house in the middle on nowhere last year. Still p***es me off. Do you have a blue sky out there?)

Too late. Us 'Futuremen' as you call us (we prefer AIDS riddled monkey men) have a temporal lock on you with our... ummm.. future technology. You cannot help but become one of us!!

(Kidding aside, apart from the lack of broadband, seems like a nice place. I lost a bid on a house in the middle on nowhere last year. Still p***es me off. Do you have a blue sky out there?)

No, it's green. Just kidding!

Today, it was brilliant blue.

/thinking about starting a thread tomorrow (maybe the philosophy forum?) about "Where do you consider 'In the Middle of Nowhere' is?"

Edited by Likely Guy

Well I'd tel you all about it in a clever limerick, but I'll be damned if I can find anything that rhymes with orange.

Well I'd tel you all about it in a clever limerick, but I'll be damned if I can find anything that rhymes with orange.

Orange has almost no perfect rhymes. The only word in the 20-volume historical Oxford English Dictionary that rhymes with orange is sporange, a very rare alternative form of sporangium (a botanical term for a part of a fern or similar plant). Silver is another word for which it is almost impossible to find a perfect rhyme: the only candidate is the rare word chilver, which the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary defines as 'a ewe-lamb' (i.e. a female lamb). Both orange and silver do have half-rhymes, though: the Oxford Rhyming Dictionary gives lozengeas a half-rhyme for orange, for example, and salver as a half-rhyme for silver.

What's the difference between a full rhyme and a half-rhyme? A full and stressed rhyme (e.g. hand / stand) or even an unstressed rhyme (such as handing / standing) contain vowels that are common to both words, while a half-rhyme like orange / lozenge or silver / salver has obvious differences between the vowels in certain syllables. The technical term for a half-rhyme is 'pararhyme'.

• Like 1

Also, I'm going to agree that blue veins do not mean oxygen is present, the "blue" blood is actually oxygen deprived, and that is why when blood comes into the air, like from a cut, it immediately turns red... You'll never see "blue" blood where there is oxygen.

You never see blue blood at all. It's a really common myth, but think about it: blood's purpose is to transport the oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body (and then to transport waste back). Oxygen is always present in blood, whether it's exposed to air or not. It always contains oxygen and it's always some shade of red. It's never blue - looking through your skin just makes your veins appear blue, but that's not their actual color.

• Like 2

Try haiku.

Yeah, that Star Trek gif is addicting. They just can't stop agreeing with each other. LOL!!!!

On another note, Merc 12, you did come across as being a real A-hole to Orangepeaceful79. I come here daily, but only post when I feel the need to. I agree with everyone here - you should really check your sources before you publicly make a fool of yourself. And, you may want to lose the attitude. It'll bring you many enemies here. Have a good day.

You never see blue blood at all. It's a really common myth, but think about it: blood's purpose is to transport the oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body (and then to transport waste back). Oxygen is always present in blood, whether it's exposed to air or not. It always contains oxygen and it's always some shade of red. It's never blue - looking through your skin just makes your veins appear blue, but that's not their actual color.

Yes. I agree. I was just trying to use the simplest description and language for our Post #1 friend. Thanks! :nw:

Try haiku.

Orange is all alone

no rhymes to be found today

poor orange gets no play

Bonus points for a rhyming haiku!

• Like 4

Welcome to the forums Telegram, and thanks for getting things back 'semi' on topic.

Here's a good visual representation of this thread:

train%2Bwreck.jpg

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 6

Orange is all alone

no rhymes to be found today

poor orange gets no play

Bonus points for a rhyming haiku!

Hear this in a Mr. Miyagi voice:

"NO,no,no! Haiku, three lines! Yes!

First line five syllable! Second line, seven syllable! Third line, five syllable! NO rhyming!"

*wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off...*

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

Hear this in a Mr. Miyagi voice:"NO,no,no! Haiku, three lines! Yes!First line five syllable! Second line, seven syllable! Third line, five syllable! No rhyming!"*wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off...*

It is not forbidden to rhyme in haiku! just doesn't happen very often.

• Like 1

But your syllables sucked!

I still bow down though! :)

/that was the best (simplest, most easiest to understand) explanation for why the sky is blue!

//but your haiku still sucked, sorry