Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged x 2 ] Lion on Loose in Essex

Junior Chubb

Maybe not a nice idea for an experiment, but they should tie a goat or sheep to a pole in the middle of that field, preferably near the trees and shrubs, and watch what happens (on camera).

I will bet that if it's indeed a big cat, the goat or sheep will be in trouble.... but if it's a domestic cat, even a large one, nothing will happen,

Yeah....It would certainly flush out any hungry big cat after a meal....and even better..a meal without a chase.It would think all its Christmases had come at once.

• Like 1

Essex lion was my pet cat Teddy Bear' - owner

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-essex-19397686

I clicked on some of the other links on that page, SW, and one said, "I heard a loud roar".

Someone having a bit of fun with his scared neighbours late at night??

Edited by Abramelin

The feeding of live prey to a DWA is not permitted in the UK - it would have to be a dead animal

The feeding of live prey to a DWA is not permitted in the UK - it would have to be a dead animal

Using dead meat would be a bit of a problem: cats and dogs might eat it before any 'lion'' can get at it.

The point of a live goat is that it would bleat when alone in the field in the evening or at night and by that attract the attention of a big cat.

haha what a joke turned out to be a cat, morons

Welcome to UM dmk :)

Indeed it may have been a cat, it just wasn't a big cat...

Edited by Junior Chubb

Maybe not a nice idea for an experiment, but they should tie a goat or sheep to a pole in the middle of that field, preferably near the trees and shrubs, and watch what happens (on camera).

I will bet that if it's indeed a big cat, the goat or sheep will be in trouble.... but if it's a domestic cat, even a large one, nothing will happen,

I've Jurassic Park.... If they do that the Lion will then knock over 2 jeeps and smash down a toilet with someone in there..... Goat on a rope is a bad idea.

They searched for nearly 24 hours and found no evidence of any big cat...so...it must have been walking on its tiptoes whilst hiding from everyone searching and never emptied its...errmm...bowels..once..(admittedly i dont know what a lions bodily functions are like but i would imagine they are quite large)

Maybe he used public toilets....

• Like 1

I've Jurassic Park.... If they do that the Lion will then knock over 2 jeeps and smash down a toilet with someone in there..... Goat on a rope is a bad idea.

I watched Jurassic Park too, and that's where I got the idea from , LOL!

But it could work for big cats: in general they are not strong enough to knock over a jeep.

Unless this one is one real true mean aggressive large hybrid cat.

• Like 1

If he did then i wouldnt like to clean them.... :w00t:

• Like 1

Somewhat bizarrely, Essex Police said that what people saw was not a lion - but was probably a lynx or a panther, according to what I heard from a reporter on Sky News.

It seems that Essex Police are of the belief that there are big cats, mainly lynx and panther (as the organisation Kent Big Cats, below, also believe) roaming Britain and even the reporter himself said that it's almost taken as granted now by people that that is the case.

Here's some more recent cases as reported to Kent Big Cats::

Friday 10th August 2012

Black leopard seen near Channel Tunnel

This isn't the first time this type of headline has appeared in Kent. Large cats have been seen on several occasions within the vicinity of the Channel Tunnel and also rail link - an animal such as a leopard would use a railway line to navigate its route. A few days ago a large black cat was seen at Folkestone by a motorist who described the animal as clearly a "panther" that crossed the road a few metres away. Over the past year there have been numerous sightings at Dover also, particularly in the Western Heights area. August has been an exceptionally busy month for sightings, the most recent coming from the Thong area of Gravesend when a woman walking her dog across a field observed a big, black cat that did not fit the size or description of any known UK animal.

An animal roaming this particular area would have a vast territory taking in the country parks of say, Shorne and Vigo and dense woods of Cobham through to Meopham. Whether this is the same animal seen down towards Snodland and Haling over the years we are unsure as there are clearly more than one melanistic leopard and puma roaming the town and its outskirts. Lynx have also been observed on numerous occasions recently.

Friday 20 July 2012

Latest July reports - back to black!

July has been a very busy month for sightings. There have been several reports from Higham, Battle (East Sussex), Chartham, Headcorn and Shadoxhurst at Ashford. All sightings involved black leopard. The Shadoxhurst report involved a witness who, whilst looking out of her window at 6:00 am saw an enormous black cat rummaging through the sacks she'd placed at the end of her drive. The woman woke her husband, and so intrigued was she by the animal she went outside but the animal slinked away. She believed the cat was after a shoulder of lamb that had been deposited in the sack. The Chartham report concerned a male motorist who saw a fox-sized black cat (not a domestic/feral cat) that crossed the road in front of him and another motorist saw a black leopard whilst recently travelling on the Ulcombe Road into Headcorn during daylight.

It's worth noting just how many reports are received of black leopards and not what people would term 'normal' leopards with then rosette pelage. Some researchers would claim that 'spotted' leopard reports are as frequent as those of the melanistic variety but this simply isn't the case. Kent Big Cat Research has NEVER received a report of a normal leopard, in more than 25 years of research every sighting has been of the melanistic variety. This is clearly a dominant gene - a majority of leopards kept as pets in the '60s were of the darker coat - black parents only produce black offspring due to the recessive gene, hence the fact that black squirrels and foxes are scant. The occasional reports received of smaller spotted cats would suggest the Leopard Cat.

Reports of so-called 'big cats' must be analysed on their consistency levels. If people start to report lions, cheetahs, jaguars and tigers, then it seems clear that in most cases these are hoaxes, misidentification or an escapee from the zoo. The consistent reports across the UK strongly suggest black leopard, puma and lynx, as well as smaller cats such as the Jungle Cat and Leopard Cat. Reports of normal leopards, tigers, lions etc, must be taken with a pinch of salt until there are further reports. This is the problem with a lot of 'big cat' research in the UK - too many sightings that are taken as fact of clearly impossible or unlikely species. If only 1 report of a normal leopard is received among 1000 black leopard reports, then the normal leopard sighting must be ruled until others come forward to report it, the same can also be said for reports of bizarre mutants, albino cats and other alleged melanistic species.

http://kentbigcats.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Some other British Big Cat facts

Gloucestershire, one hotspot, had 11 sightings in 2011 and an average of ten a year in the previous few years. The most common descriptions were “black cat” or

“panther”. Figures from Dorset and Kent Police were almost exactly the same.

A very small number of cases are directly reported to the government every year via the quango Natural England. There were three in 2011, six the year before and three in 2009.

The largest numbers of sightings come from groups of enthusiasts like Big Cats in Britain. Founder Mark Fraser told us the group gets around 500 reports a year on average, which could range from an alleged sighting or the discovery of a large paw-print.

Serving police officers in the Thames Valley Police and Lincolnshire Police have gone on record to say that they support the case for the existence of wild cats in Britain.

A lifetime of investigation by the founder of Big Cats Britain, Mark Fraser, has led him to conclude that there are “very small numbers” of individual lynx, puma and “black panthers” – not a real species but a melanistic (the opposite of albino) variant of the leopard or jaguar – on the prowl in the UK.

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/catcheck-are-lions-and-leopards-on-the-loose-in-britain/11269

:

I watched Jurassic Park too, and that's where I got the idea from , LOL!

But it could work for big cats: in general they are not strong enough to knock over a jeep.

Unless this one is one real true mean aggressive large hybrid cat.

Haha, I know... But maybe it's a lab experiment that's escaped...... (Maybe I shouldn't say this cause it might start rumours with the crypto people... lol)

If he did then i wouldnt like to clean them.... :w00t:

Haha, pressure washer and a hazmatt outfit. :tu:

• Like 2

(Maybe I shouldn't say this cause it might start rumours with the crypto people... lol)

Yeah, because, as we all know, every single species of creature that lives on Earth today is known about, and those scientists who say that only 1.7 million of the estimated 8.7 million species of lifeform that exist on Earth today are known to science are talking rubbish.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Yeah, because, as we all know, every single species of creature that lives on Earth today is known about, and those scientists who say that only 1.7 million of the estimated 8.7 million species of lifeform that exist on Earth today are known to science are talking rubbish.

I was talking about the "lab experiment" part.... Didn't want the idea of a super lion being thrown around.....

• Like 1

How many of those species are the size of an alleged lion though...?...You're certainly correct in saying that we have species still not known about but most of those are in areas that are ridiculously hard to get to or too small to be noticed and various other reasons....not large mammals like a lion

• Like 1

How many of those species are the size of an alleged lion though...?...You're certainly correct in saying that we have species still not known about but most of those are in areas that are ridiculously hard to get to or too small to be noticed and various other reasons....not large mammals like a lion

Exactly.

I mean finding new insects in caves or fish in the ocean depths where it's been hard for us to explore is one thing. A lion near a highly populated area where there aren't even supposed to have big cats is another.

• Like 1

Exactly.

I mean finding new insects in caves or fish in the ocean depths where it's been hard for us to explore is one thing. A lion near a highly populated area where there aren't even supposed to have big cats is another.

Indeed

There is also a big difference between a Cryptid and a newly discovered species...

A newly discovered species is just that, something we did not know about that has been discovered, a Cryptid is a creature that is 'said' to exist but not been proven to exist. For me there is not much comparison between the two.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

Pet cats are turning feral and growing to more than 4ft in the wild, a British professor has claimed in the wake of the furore over a lion on the loose in Essex.

http://www.telegraph...-professor.html

Pet cats are turning feral and growing to more than 4ft in the wild, a British professor has claimed in the wake of the furore over a lion on the loose in Essex.

I have heard of the Australian situation recently (here on UM), the cats become larger after just a few generations in the wild apparently, it would no be surprise if there was a similar situation over here. This would cover some of the sightings in the UK of 'larger' cats.

This is one of the comments on that site:

Cats going feral and growing to four feet long? All because there's a gap for a large predator? So i suppose we now have foxes which are eight feet long with six inch canine teeth and rats as big as dogs.

The Scottish Wild Cat, by it's very name and nature, is "feral" and is similar to the breed domestic cars are descended from. That being the case, and the fact that they have literally thousands of square miles of countryside over which to range and hunt with no larger predators, for at least two centuries, as competition, why have they remained their original size? By now they should be the size of tigers and terrifying the whole of the Highlands.

Methinks the good professor should descend from his Ivory Tower, the rarefied atmosphere has started to get to his brain.

• Like 1

This is one of the comments on that site:

Cats going feral and growing to four feet long? All because there's a gap for a large predator? So i suppose we now have foxes which are eight feet long with six inch canine teeth and rats as big as dogs.

The Scottish Wild Cat, by it's very name and nature, is "feral" and is similar to the breed domestic cars are descended from. That being the case, and the fact that they have literally thousands of square miles of countryside over which to range and hunt with no larger predators, for at least two centuries, as competition, why have they remained their original size? By now they should be the size of tigers and terrifying the whole of the Highlands.

Methinks the good professor should descend from his Ivory Tower, the rarefied atmosphere has started to get to his brain.

Agree! Though I am no wild cat expert, imo, I also find 4-5' long feral cats as highly unlikely.

But, i read somewhere, on UM maybe? about domestic cats mating with larger wild cats? I have no idea how biologically viable that is either though.

I have heard of the Australian situation recently (here on UM), the cats become larger after just a few generations in the wild apparently, it would no be surprise if there was a similar situation over here. This would cover some of the sightings in the UK of 'larger' cats.

True, but there are certain genetic limits, I doubt you will ever get a domestic cat anywhere near the size of a cougar, much less a lion! I believe a Maine Coon is one of the largest of the domestic cats (excluding hybrids like the Savannah) and it's somewhere around 25 pounds in a large male.

Genetic limits can be very frustrating. Several people and I have been trying to breed bigger Flytraps (Dionaea muscipula) by crossing the largest individuals we can find. We have gotten them up to sizes with 3" traps, but so far your kids are safe.

True, but there are certain genetic limits, I doubt you will ever get a domestic cat anywhere near the size of a cougar, much less a lion! I believe a Maine Coon is one of the largest of the domestic cats (excluding hybrids like the Savannah) and it's somewhere around 25 pounds in a large male.

Genetic limits can be very frustrating. Several people and I have been trying to breed bigger Flytraps (Dionaea muscipula) by crossing the largest individuals we can find. We have gotten them up to sizes with 3" traps, but so far your kids are safe.

Thanks for the cats info :)

Those Flytraps sound interesting, I had some myself once but was disappointed with there size, I guess people want to see the Fly Traps from films and comic strips that could trap a man. We do like to mess about with nature...