Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Werewolves real or fake?

paulhaychstyle

Well, such sightings do tend to be subjective. But my argument still stands, personally I would most certainly rule out shapeshifter. It is biologically impossible for human tissue, muscles, and bones to melt and breakdown and reorganize into a carnivous creature or were-creature.

Probably so, yes. But then, a being that can decide whether it exists or not isn't very believable either... probably even less than a shapeshifter.

• Like 1

Probably so, yes. But then, a being that can decide whether it exists or not isn't very believable either... probably even less than a shapeshifter.

I beg to differ. And what I said was a being that denies its own existance by not exposing itself visually to humans. A bestial spirit that can roam the earth unseen by human eyes yet does possess the ability to allow itself to be seen, intentional or not. I find that plenty more plausible than a shapeshifter.

I beg to differ. And what I said was a being that denies its own existance by not exposing itself visually to humans. A bestial spirit that can roam the earth unseen by human eyes yet does possess the ability to allow itself to be seen, intentional or not. I find that plenty more plausible than a shapeshifter.

You see, a being which can decide whether or not it can be see, literally, is much less plausible that a simple shape-change, frankly. And of course I know, as a biologist, that "simple" may not be the right word for shapeshifting, but honestly, it's much more believable to me than "manifesting-at-will", or whatever...

• Like 1

You see, a being which can decide whether or not it can be see, literally, is much less plausible that a simple shape-change, frankly. And of course I know, as a biologist, that "simple" may not be the right word for shapeshifting, but honestly, it's much more believable to me than "manifesting-at-will", or whatever...

Its simple really, the greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

• Like 1

Ok i for one are always asking myself if these half human half wolf do live among us its being a good few years now but i keep bringing myself back to the legendary story of the beast of bray road is this story true could it be loads of people have claimed to seen this mysterious beast so why wouldent it be true?

Because people seem to see things more often when it's in their minds. Like when you buy a particular brand and colour of car then all of a sudden EVERYONE'S driving them... Seriously. "Champaigne" (read metallic beige) Vauxhall Astra! I had one a few years ago. Ugly colour, who in their right mind would want one? Everybody it seems. I even panicked once because I saw one with an almost identical licence number to mine and thought mine had been stolen!

As for werewolves; A mixture of ergot poisoning and blurred accounts of crazed Ulfhednar who, like the Beserkers, would eat halucinigenic mushrooms and lurk around in the trees at the vangard of a Viking raid, before bursting out upon a hapless village with bestial savagery.

And also the fact that wolves once appeared to be worshipped as totem animals by the Celtic tribes of north-western Europe. of course once Christianity took hold said totem animals seemed to be vilified (eg. wolves, hares) and so wolves being a predator, some people who perhaps didn't accept the new religions as their own were maybe suggested by the priesthoods as being wolflike.

Its simple really, the greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

How is that "simple"? Given you haven't given any evidence of the "Devil's" existence, of course I won't believe in it. What, is there some reason to think that there is such a thing?

How is that "simple"? Given you haven't given any evidence of the "Devil's" existence, of course I won't believe in it. What, is there some reason to think that there is such a thing?

Um... but first, do we have any evidence werewolves exist? And if there is evidence that werewolves exist, my speculation it was a bestial demonic entity or misidentified animal but not a shapeshifter.

Um... but first, do we have any evidence werewolves exist? And if there is evidence that werewolves exist, my speculation it was a bestial demonic entity or misidentified animal but not a shapeshifter.

There is, to my knowledge, little more than anecdotal evidence of werewolves' existence. Ergo, not much of anything. But either way, my question was what is the reason to think that demonic entities might exist, and why are they a more probable explanation for werewolf accounts than shapeshifters?

There is, to my knowledge, little more than anecdotal evidence of werewolves' existence. Ergo, not much of anything. But either way, my question was what is the reason to think that demonic entities might exist, and why are they a more probable explanation for werewolf accounts than shapeshifters?

Because shapeshifter would be the first thing I would rule out. How can a human being totally change his muscle, bones, and internal organ structure including eyesight, hearing, and sense of smell into a bestial were-creature?

Edited by Ambush Bug

How can a human being totally change his muscle, bones, and internal organ structure including eyesight, hearing, and sense of smell into a bestial were-creature?

Easy.. he gets married. Six months later, you won't recognise him in the street. Different hair, clothes, walk and manner. Like a man condemned who doesn't know it.

Only time he is free is every full moon. Unless that cyle coincides with his wifes cycle. If so, he's really CENSORED.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5

Because shapeshifter would be the first thing I would rule out. How can a human being totally change his muscle, bones, and internal organ structure including eyesight, hearing, and sense of smell into a bestial were-creature?

Who knows? As far as we know, it probably can't happen. But then, people can't choose whether they "manifest" or not either... At least a shapeshifter still has muscle, bones, internal organs, etc...

Who knows? As far as we know, it probably can't happen. But then, people can't choose whether they "manifest" or not either... At least a shapeshifter still has muscle, bones, internal organs, etc...

Well, thats the very point I am making.. it is impossible for a human being to be a shapeshifter... and if it aint a hoax nor a misidentified animal... what can a "werewolf" be?

• Like 1

Well, thats the very point I am making.. it is impossible for a human being to be a shapeshifter... and if it aint a hoax nor a misidentified animal... what can a "werewolf" be?

Well, strictly speaking, it isn't impossible, just very improbable, based on what we currently understand. But either way, hoax or misidentified animal are the two most probable explanations for most of the cases.

• 2 weeks later...

what can a "werewolf" be?

A story told by the night's fire, to frighten the children and easily scared. For fun and as a warning to stay near your Mama when it's dark. Nothing more.

p.s. don't be going near them woods! You might never be seen again.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3

They might seem real to someone that has been doing hard drugs.

there's this thing called the food chain, a delicate balance. You'd have to put werewolves at the apex of this chain. A preditor like that would ruin the balance. They would eat us and themselves into extinction.

= they dont exist

• Like 1

A preditor like that would ruin the balance. They would eat us and themselves into extinction.

They'd have to dodge a few silver bullets if they tried to leap to the front of the line at my local McDonalds, I can assure you of that. There are critters in that line that are eating while they're waiting. Big critters. Whole families of them. Just eating, and eating, and eating.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3

They'd have to dodge a few silver bullets if they tried to leap to the front of the line at my local McDonalds, I can assure you of that. There are critters in that line that are eating while they're waiting. Big critters. Whole families of them. Permanently eating.

and there ya go...if we needed silver bullets the price of silver would certainly be alot higher!

• Like 2

I truly believe in werewolves, but more like lycans. Werewolves go from man to beast, lycans are trully huge beasts. So lycans a bit more

You know... up until those cruddy Underworld movies I never heard ANYBODY referring to a werewolf as a "lycan"... Now everybody under the age of 30 seems to believe that this is some ancient word for them and that they were commonly referred to as such...

Interestingly there is a legend on Shetland regarding the Wulver, which is a large, wolflike beast that walks on its hind legs. However, unlike most wolfie beasties, it leaves fish at the door of poor families, protects lone travellers and cuddles fluffy kittens. awwwwwwwww.

I said about the Ulfhednar which probably helped spark the werewolf legend, but I wonder if there are some recial memories of running away from the dire wolf? Slightly shorter than the grey, but generally accpeted as stouter, bulkier, and perhaps far, far grumpier.

• Like 1

Well I once saw this thing where a scientist says he treats the laws of physics as more of a guidline

werewolves real?... really...DO you know what the human body/werewolf body would have to do to be able to accomplish the fete of morphing? Not just the physical appearances but down to the reworking of the entire DNA chain... the body has a hard enough time passing along its coding during duplication( when new humans are spawned) without defects (just look at all the disorders and malformations there are in the real world)..and that is from passing half of genetic material and combining it with another persons (sperm and egg). Now think of how much could and would go wrong if the entire code was to be deconstructed and then remerged night after night for as long as the morphing took place.... SORRY but genetics tells me this is an IMPOSSIBILTY...werewolves/lycans are not real.

• Like 1

there's this thing called the food chain, a delicate balance. You'd have to put werewolves at the apex of this chain. A preditor like that would ruin the balance. They would eat us and themselves into extinction.

= they dont exist

Not neccessarily. Most predators tend to maintain the equilibrium, as it were, and are subject to the rise and fall of prey numbers. The difference here is you'd think humans would notice.

To me the best argument against werewolves is the prospect of something that looks human changing into something that looks like a wolf, but obviously cannot be either, but seems to have evolutionary adaptations to two totally different niches, is very very silly.

They'd have to dodge a few silver bullets if they tried to leap to the front of the line at my local McDonalds, I can assure you of that. There are critters in that line that are eating while they're waiting. Big critters. Whole families of them. Just eating, and eating, and eating.

This goes into the quote hall of fame.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...