Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Recipe Thread

Simbi Laveau

I don't understand what is happening but I can't copy/paste anything without it automatically dissapearing..so I'll just share this one because it's short and simple. And yummy.

Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

4-6 fresh or frozen boneless chicken breasts

1 whole bottle Franks Wings Buffalo Sauce (12 ounces I think)

1 pkg Ranch Dip Mix

2 tbsp Butter

Put the chicken in the slow cooker, dump the bottle of buffalo sauce on top, sprinkle the packet of ranch dip mix in. Cook on low 6-7 hrs.

Shred the chicken and return to slow cooker, add butter and stir. Cook for another 30 minutes or so.

I usually put the chicken on kaisers or rolls with lettuce and some ranch dressing on the side, but I think I'm going to try it in quesadillas or on nachos next time.

I make 3 alarm wings,and sometimes I throw in chicken thighs.

I haven't been eating chicken for a while though .

I eat less and less animal protien .

We tend to eat less animal flesh now a days too. We meet our protein needs otherwise, and the stuff isn't cheap. So, not really recipes, but some things I do to make my dollars stretch more.

When we have bacon I save the grease from it for other cooking uses. It's a great flavoring agent.

I get raw pork bones and hocks from the local butcher for super cheap sometimes. Then I toss them in my freezer to save several up. When I have a bunch, I fire up the smoker and smoke them myself, its way cheaper and easier than one might think. I make a couple gallons of pork stock for the freezer. And usually a mess of greens, then I freeze up a bunch of that too.

Every year I get to bring home the turkey carcass from moms house. I fire up the brew kettle and make a huge batch of stock for the freezer.

Between the pork and turkey stock I have several pots worth of soup I can make for months. And it's nice to add to rice instead of using water.

As a veggie protein.. When dry beans go on sale, I pick up a bag of every different kind. When I have several bags sitting on the shelf, I mix them all together and fill a giant jar with them. Just one cup makes for an excellent soup for two once it's done.

Mushrooms can add a protein and meaty mouth hit. Every time I see fresh mushrooms on clearance and I can afford it, I pick them up and bring them home. I slice them up and dry them out and keep them in the pantry. When I need some of that oomph to a dish, I take a few mushrooms and throw them in the spice grinder.

Around here, I can get a 8 oz package of fresh mushrooms on clearance for 99 cents. A 4 oz can of mushrooms is usually 79-99 cents.

• Like 1

As a veggie protein.. When dry beans go on sale, I pick up a bag of every different kind. When I have several bags sitting on the shelf, I mix them all together and fill a giant jar with them. Just one cup makes for an excellent soup for two once it's done.

Since you mentioned beans, and Simbi also mentioned ethnic food, here's a recipe of Egyptian Tameyya" (also called falafel) which is IMO much tastier than the recipes using chickpeas. This is the original & traditional falafel recipe, this version is choke-full of fragrant herbs.

The Original Falafel / Tameyya Recipe

Ingredients:

• 2 cups dry broken broad beans (fava beans)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsely
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 cup chopped dill
  • 1 cup finely chopped spring onions
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 2tb finely chopped garlic
  • 1 1/2 - 2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp dry coriander powder
  • chili powder to taste (optional)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • sesame seeds
  • oil for frying

1) Rinse beans and soak in 6 cups of water for 2 days, changing the water frequently. Drain..

2) Turn the food processor/ mixer on empty and slowly drop the beans through the tube.Place the mashed beans in a bowl

3) Add the greens, onions & garlic to the processor & blend well

4) Add the beans to the greens & process until smooth & the mixture is green in color

5) In a bowl, mix the bean-herb mixture with the spices and baking soda

6) Cover and set aside for 30 minutes or longer to blend and develop flavor

7)Heat 1/2 inch of oil in sauté pan. Make sure that the oil is not too hot

8) Firmly press the tameyya mixture into a large soup spoon, sprinkle the top with sesame seeds, then push it off into the hot oil

9) Fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until brown ( it floats to the top of the oil when 'ready')

10) Drain on paper towels

Traditionally, tameyya is put in pita bread 'pockets; drizzled with tahina sauce and topped with a mixed salad of lettuce, tomato, and red onions; pickles are sometimes also added.

• Like 2

Since you mentioned beans, and Simbi also mentioned ethnic food, here's a recipe of Egyptian Tameyya" (also called falafel) which is IMO much tastier than the recipes using chickpeas. This is the original & traditional falafel recipe, this version is choke-full of fragrant herbs.

The Original Falafel / Tameyya Recipe

Ingredients:

• 2 cups dry broken broad beans (fava beans)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsely
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 cup chopped dill
  • 1 cup finely chopped spring onions
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 2tb finely chopped garlic
  • 1 1/2 - 2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp dry coriander powder
  • chili powder to taste (optional)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • sesame seeds
  • oil for frying

1) Rinse beans and soak in 6 cups of water for 2 days, changing the water frequently. Drain..

2) Turn the food processor/ mixer on empty and slowly drop the beans through the tube.Place the mashed beans in a bowl

3) Add the greens, onions & garlic to the processor & blend well

4) Add the beans to the greens & process until smooth & the mixture is green in color

5) In a bowl, mix the bean-herb mixture with the spices and baking soda

6) Cover and set aside for 30 minutes or longer to blend and develop flavor

7)Heat 1/2 inch of oil in sauté pan. Make sure that the oil is not too hot

8) Firmly press the tameyya mixture into a large soup spoon, sprinkle the top with sesame seeds, then push it off into the hot oil

9) Fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until brown ( it floats to the top of the oil when 'ready')

10) Drain on paper towels

Traditionally, tameyya is put in pita bread 'pockets; drizzled with tahina sauce and topped with a mixed salad of lettuce, tomato, and red onions; pickles are sometimes also added.

I love good falafel !

• Like 1

Coonass Cuisine :tu:

Alligator sauce piquante:

Prep Time: 2 and 1/2 Hours|

Yields: 6 Servings

Ingredients:

3 pounds alligator, cut into 1-inch cubes

1 and 1/2 cups vegetable oil

1 and 1/2 cups flour

2 cups diced onions

2 cups diced celery

1 cup diced bell peppers

1/4 cup minced garlic

2 (10-ounce) cans ROTEL tomatoes

3 quarts water or beef stock (see recipe)

salt and cracked black pepper to taste

granulated garlic to taste

Louisiana hot sauce to taste

1/4 cup chopped parsley

1/2 cup sliced green onions

Method:

In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until a dark brown roux is achieved (see roux recipes). Add alligator and saute 10 minutes or until well browned. Stir in onions, celery, bell peppers and minced garlic and saute 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Stir in tomatoes and water or stock. Blend well then season to taste with salt, pepper, granulated garlic and hot sauce. Bring mixture to a rolling boil then reduce heat to medium. Simmer 2 hours or until meat is tender, adding water to retain volume if necessary. Add parsley and green onions and adjust seasonings to taste using salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Serve hot over steamed white rice.

This is a recipe my wife cooks.It comes from a chef on a local news channel.Chef Folse.

I'm sure you can substitute the alligator for some stew meat.However,if you do happen to have gator,it makes all the better. :yes: ,but like Darkwind said,the tail is the best part.

Nice thread Simbi Laveau.

This one is a 'special' for cenobite (sorry couldn't help it) :w00t::P

Braised Celery with Tomatoes and Olives

2 Tbs (30 ml) olive oil

1 1/2 - 2 lbs (675 - 900 g) celery, cut into

2-inch (5 cm) pieces

1/2 medium onion, chopped

1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken, beef, or vegetable stock, or water

2 - 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped

1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped pitted olives

2 Tbs (30 ml) capers, drained

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over moderate heat and saute the celery and onion for 2 minutes. Add the stock and simmer covered over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until the celery is tender. Add the remaining ingredients and cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Serves 4 to 6.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Made this recently as a birthday cake. It was divine.

Double Chocolate Sour Cream Cake - makes two 9-inch round layers

• 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup strong brewed coffee

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two standard 9-inch cake pans and set aside. (Instead of flour I used cocoa powder to dust the pans.)

1. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, cocoa and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using beaters), cream the softened butter with the sugars until light and fluffy.
  2. Mix in the eggs, one at a time on low speed, then add the vanilla extract and sour cream.
  3. On medium speed, mix in the coffee.
  4. Finally add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture in about 2 or three batches. Mix until batter is uniform; it will look light brown and turn much darker in the oven as it bakes.
  5. Bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
  6. Let cool on wire rack, frost with best buttercream and serve cake.

The Best ButterCream Icing

The Best ButterCream Icing ever, all because of rich cream and salted butter. You won’t find another to match the decadence of this icing.

Ingredients

• 1 cup of salted butter
  • 3 teaspoons of vanilla
  • 4 cups (aprox) of icing sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 4-5 tablespoons of coffee cream (18% and up)
  • ½ cup sour cream

Instructions

1. Trust me on this one and use salted butter in this icing.
  2. Whip that butter, with a paddle beater if you have it, if not, don’t worry.
  3. Add in the icing sugar.
  4. Add in the cream. Not milk, cream. I used 4 tablespoons for my preference, you adjust to what you want.
  5. Stiffer icing = less cream.
  6. Whippier icing = more cream.
  7. Add in sour cream and vanilla…. I used 3 teaspoons, again, you can try a little more if you like.Then keep mixing it until fluffy and thoroughly combined

• Like 1

Made this recently as a birthday cake. It was divine.

Double Chocolate Sour Cream Cake - makes two 9-inch round layers

• 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup strong brewed coffee

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two standard 9-inch cake pans and set aside. (Instead of flour I used cocoa powder to dust the pans.)

1. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, cocoa and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using beaters), cream the softened butter with the sugars until light and fluffy.
  2. Mix in the eggs, one at a time on low speed, then add the vanilla extract and sour cream.
  3. On medium speed, mix in the coffee.
  4. Finally add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture in about 2 or three batches. Mix until batter is uniform; it will look light brown and turn much darker in the oven as it bakes.
  5. Bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
  6. Let cool on wire rack, frost with best buttercream and serve cake.

The Best ButterCream Icing

The Best ButterCream Icing ever, all because of rich cream and salted butter. You won’t find another to match the decadence of this icing.

Ingredients

• 1 cup of salted butter
  • 3 teaspoons of vanilla
  • 4 cups (aprox) of icing sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 4-5 tablespoons of coffee cream (18% and up)
  • ½ cup sour cream

Instructions

1. Trust me on this one and use salted butter in this icing.
  2. Whip that butter, with a paddle beater if you have it, if not, don’t worry.
  3. Add in the icing sugar.
  4. Add in the cream. Not milk, cream. I used 4 tablespoons for my preference, you adjust to what you want.
  5. Stiffer icing = less cream.
  6. Whippier icing = more cream.
  7. Add in sour cream and vanilla…. I used 3 teaspoons, again, you can try a little more if you like.Then keep mixing it until fluffy and thoroughly combined

Mmmmmm !

Pictures ?

And I will have to fd a substitute for coffee cream . It's just too full of artificial stuff for me .

Mmmmmm !

Pictures ?

And I will have to fd a substitute for coffee cream . It's just too full of artificial stuff for me .

Cream not creamer. Hope the picture works I'm on my phone

post-4505-0-64110600-1361893660_thumb.jp

Cream not creamer. Hope the picture works I'm on my phone

OH_MY_GOD

that looks so good !

We don't have coffee cream in the USA .....at least I dont think we do . I will have to look it up and see if we have something comparable .

OH_MY_GOD

that looks so good !

We don't have coffee cream in the USA .....at least I dont think we do . I will have to look it up and see if we have something comparable .

I'm pretty sure it's what we call whipping cream.

OH_MY_GOD

that looks so good !

This might be helpful...

Half and half has 12% fat

Light cream- 20% fat, and probably close to the coffee cream Nine Moons is speaking of.

Light whipping cream- 30% fat

Whipping Cream- 35% fat

Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream- 40% fat

Edited by rashore
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's what we call whipping cream.

Oh for gods sake. I would never think that's what it meant .Since theccake recipe had coffee in it ,I thought it was some sort of flavored cream .

Heavy cream is what we new yawkas call it.

We have heavy whipping cream ,and light cream .

Gotcha .

• Like 1

This might be helpful...

Half and half has 12% fat

Light cream- 20% fat, and probably close to the coffee cream Nine Moons is speaking of.

Light whipping cream- 30% fat

Whipping Cream- 35% fat

Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream- 40% fat

Any of those would work depending on how rich you wanted to make it wouldn't they?

That cake does sound great! If I make one I have to give most of it away becuase we don't eat many sweets, but I'm very tempted.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

I made this for a chowder cook off we had at work last week. It was a great success, I took 2nd place. I was looking for a very non-traditional chowder and found this recipe.

Saurkraut Chowder

3 -4 large russet potatoes

1 medium onion, chopped

1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut

1 (10 ounce) can evaporated milk

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1 (1 lb) package kielbasa, diced (optional)

water

salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Cut potatoes into bite size pieces (you can peel them if you would like, I leave the skin for extra nutrients) place in a dutch-oven or soup pot, cover with water, add onions and boil until cooked through and fork tender.
    (I peeled the potatoes)
  2. When potatoes are done add sauerkraut, evaporated milk and cream cheese; stir until cream cheese is completely blended.
  3. At this time if you wish to add the kielbasa do so.
  4. Add salt and pepper to taste (don't let the sauerkraut fool you, the potatoes take away most of the tartness so you will need more salt than you think so make sure to taste).
  5. Cover and cook at a low simmer for 30 minutes.

Edited by BiffSplitkins
  • Like 1

I made this for a chowder cook off we had at work last week. It was a great success, I took 2nd place. I was looking for a very non-traditional chowder and found this recipe.

Saurkraut Chowder

3 -4 large russet potatoes

1 medium onion, chopped

1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut

1 (10 ounce) can evaporated milk

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1 (1 lb) package kielbasa, diced (optional)

water

salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Cut potatoes into bite size pieces (you can peel them if you would like, I leave the skin for extra nutrients) place in a dutch-oven or soup pot, cover with water, add onions and boil until cooked through and fork tender.
    (I peeled the potatoes)
  2. When potatoes are done add sauerkraut, evaporated milk and cream cheese; stir until cream cheese is completely blended.
  3. At this time if you wish to add the kielbasa do so.
  4. Add salt and pepper to taste (don't let the sauerkraut fool you, the potatoes take away most of the tartness so you will need more salt than you think so make sure to taste).
  5. Cover and cook at a low simmer for 30 minutes.

I *love* sauerkraut . I will absolutely be making this one too . Xxoo

• Like 1