Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Think tank to tackle interstellar travel

Saru

Why not get a think tank to eradicate poverty and famine, much worthy cause than fantasising about something which is impossible!!!

They do have them, there are many organisations trying to solve that problem.

These guys are physicists, rocket scientists and engineers etc. This is their field, they're not going to start a think tank about an area they don't work in.

• Like 1

Why not get a think tank to eradicate poverty and famine, much worthy cause than fantasising about something which is impossible!!!

and not to sound totally uncaring, but, since when has it been our job to feed the world?

• Like 1

How about gyrostatic nuclear powered drive, (as used by U.F.O.'s, just kidding) ? Some one must have explored gyroscopic lift, which was demonstrated about 30 years ago on t.v.(in front of an audience of scientists) where heavy objects could be easily lifted using gyroscope technology. (Or is this classified).

Gyroscopic lift looks very promising, in my opinion.

They do have them, there are many organisations trying to solve that problem.

These guys are physicists, rocket scientists and engineers etc. This is their field, they're not going to start a think tank about an area they don't work in.

Excellent point. It's not like there's some kind of shortage of 'think-tanks' on this planet. In fact, some might say there are too many. :su

• Like 1

I'm not crazy about how many people say so many things are impossible these days. Why try??? :cry:

Americans used to be such "Can Do" people. I wonder if this is a result of TV programing, education, or simply apathy??

• Like 2

I think part of the problem is that we've realised just how BIG the gaps in our technology are if we want to travel to the stars.

But as always we learn by doing and a good start would be to improve the technology that we do have to a point where we can see regular visits to our nearest neighbours.

Then perhaps we can start to think about concepts like this:

Milky_Way_Galaxy.jpg

Seeded by DARPA means that this isn't intended for space travel at all. It is intended to provide faster launch vehicles for a weapons system.

It could mean a couple things. Military control of space. Bringing offensice capabilitys against ET. Moving a strategic population off world. Gathering some mineral that is rare here and abundent there. Use your imagination. :innocent:

I'm not crazy about how many people say so many things are impossible these days. Why try??? :cry:

Americans used to be such "Can Do" people. I wonder if this is a result of TV programing, education, or simply apathy??

Well, I'd say that we all (non-americans too) used to be more that way once. Unfortunately I think that we're way too cynic nowadays; maybe, as you pointed out, mainly because of tv and education. Our society in the last 20 years has been so ground-linked, that many of us has lost their "sense of marvel".

Naively, I think that's a great idea, and it could be a real turning point for a slow, global change.

On the other hand, I can't help but think that's a nice show, but nothing more.

What does Bill Clinton have to do with it, except that he needs money?

And I don't see why inviting Star Trek actors: it would be like inviting Christian Bale to a symposium on criminology or Harrison Ford to one on archaeology. Surely they would attract attention, but they would add nothing to the topic.

Edit: who knows if they will talk about this one http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=229381&st=0 ?

I think it could be a good start!

Edited by Parsec

Does anyone out there recall what happened to Icarus. Perhaps the people who dreamed this up have already subconsciously recognized the likely outcome of such a mission.

There may well be a new era in physics due to the work going on at CERN. The discovery of the Higgs-Boson particle may lead to gravity manipulation technology, so our starship may have artificial gravity, there may even be some kind of gravity propulsion system that could be developed from this discovery.

The new CERN research into dark energy and dark matter is also very interesting, this research and the discovery above may well be the first steps towards viable inter-stellar travel. This is a very interesting agenda, perhaps inter-stellar travel is the primary goal of this research.

If we consider that at least one of all of the UFO reports we have ever recorded is the real thing, a real alien spacecraft, then inter-stellar travel must be possible.

Ok, so we build a starship, equip it with navigation shields and a comms system that will allow it to communicate with Earth and and boldly go forth into the cosmos, just like a popular TV series. What happens then? How closely would the exploration of deep space resemble this TV series?

Even if you take engineering a starship out of the equation there will be many problems. How big would it be, are the crew going to get along with each other for extended periods, maybe even years. I'm sure everyone reading this could think of someone they work with that would be involved in a nasty air-lock accident if they were part of a starship crew. They would probably have to look at nuclear ballistic missile submarine crews for examples.

What if our reasonably crude starship detects a planet who's spectral analysis indicates technological life and goes to investigate, it may be destroyed by some automatic 'planet guard' system. They would have no idea how to communicate with the aliens, the language would be jibberish, they may not even use radio, let alone getting the frequency right. Even then how would they know who to talk to, the aliens may have a similar set up to us, lots of different countries, not one planet as such.

As far as colonizing planets goes, that would be a real 'can of worms'. A planet suitable for us to colonize would have to be similar to Earth, similar gravity, similar atmosphere, similar temperatures, water etc. Such a planet is most likely going to have intelligent life already occupying it. I'll make a bold prediction here, they aren't going to want to be colonized!

We may find a suitable planet before it has developed intelligent life but I suspect we would have to be very lucky. There may well be species out there far more advanced than us that have been colonizing all of these 'easy pickings' useful planets for millennia. I'm guessing they would probably object to our interest in one of their colonies. As I said, even if we do figure out how to travel between the stars it opens a real 'can of worms'.

100 years may be a bit ambitious, but we have come a long way in the last 100 years and technology is improving exponentially so maybe. Even if I were around at the time I wouldn't be signing up for that one. If this post survives until we have a real inter-stellar starship mission I would like to say good luck to the crew.

Edited by Occams Razor

If you assume that even one of the UFOs ever reported was the real thing, then it is actually most likely that we live in the center of LA, and that when we go out to find real estate, that we'll find that all the good land already belongs to someone else. Unless ET falls for the same thinking as the Native Americans, then there will be no human colonys. We'll go out there and trade and many will settle out there, but we will not have our own nations and worlds.

It is about time. I would have thought that this type of think tank had been established decades ago. Now is better than later, especially with the discovery of many rocky planets within the habitable zones of stars, providing that the planets have suitable conditions for human colonization. Here's hoping that this think tank makes great strides.

I would feel a bit more confident if people like 'Uhura' and 'Jordie la forge' weren't involved.

I would feel a bit more confident if people like 'Uhura' and 'Jordie la forge' weren't involved.

I'd feel better if it was Uhura and Jordie, and not the actors that played them on TV.

I'd feel better if it was Uhura and Jordie, and not the actors that played them on TV.

Ahem, you do know Star Trek isn't a documentary I hope.

Ahem, you do know Star Trek isn't a documentary I hope.

But if it was, I would feel better if they were there. :innocent::alien:

I dont find this any more of an impossiblity than when I read that post about Bill Gates saying he was going to BUY a planet :no: