Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Siberian mystery creature

Habitat

Rafterman, I am sure you can find precedents for all sorts of things. Stillwater might well have a reason for being, just THERE. The town of Gypsum with 3500 people is 27 miles way, as is US-70. Labyngkyr is 70 miles from a surfaced road and lies in the middle of a landscape reminiscent of the Canadian northern territories. I just think in this instance the word reservoir was misused by a translator.

Anyway, we're splitting hairs. I just wanted to point out that the lake reputed to hold a "monster", was exceedingly large enough to do so.

True or not it was a nice read .

• Like 1

You can't have done that much research then, otherwise you'd know that the picture you have shown is not the right body of water ! :)

Lake Labynkyr is 8.63 miles long, and over 2 miles wide at its widest. It would appear that the "monster" has been seen there for many years, as well.

I have done plenty of research on Lake Monsters....Did I say I did plenty on this lake?.....Did you not notice I wrote " here is link where I got the pic "????

My 5 minutes on this, I could not find anything on this lake other than 6 pages of " lake monster ".....

Can you share some factual, verifiable information on the lake that does not come from the lake monster stories?.....And a picture please.

Actually, I have to laugh. In the pdf you posted there is a picture of the correct piece of water, which is totally apposite to the story, but which you obviously did not reconcile with the picture you posted.

I also think the term 'reservoir' used in the same pdf is a simple translation mistake. The Russian author was obviously looking for an English word to describe a body of water. There is no way at all that the lake would be a reservoir in a landscape of lakes on a geological landscape such as where is it situated. There is no need for a reservoir for hundreds of miles in either direction.

The pdf also has a drawing of a lake with a monster in it, a picture with dinosaurs.......I did not write that PDF, I only shared it.

And almost , if not all the hits on gogle have " reservoir " in them....Are all of them translation mistakes?

Again, share some information on this " lake " with us other than stories about a lake monster, or the information coming from stories based on that.

Actually, I have to laugh. In the pdf you posted there is a picture of the correct piece of water, which is totally apposite to the story, but which you obviously did not reconcile with the picture you posted.

I also think the term 'reservoir' used in the same pdf is a simple translation mistake. The Russian author was obviously looking for an English word to describe a body of water. There is no way at all that the lake would be a reservoir in a landscape of lakes on a geological landscape such as where is it situated. There is no need for a reservoir for hundreds of miles in either direction.

Lake Mead is the largest reservoir in the United States in maximum water capacity. It is located on the Colorado River about 24 mi from the Strip southeast of Las Vegas, Nevada, in the states of Nevada and Arizona. Wikipedia

Surface elevation: 1,112 feet (339 m)

Area: 247.1 sq miles (640 km²)

Shore length: 550 miles (885.1 km)

Length: 120 miles (193.1 km)

Outflow location: Colorado River

Fish: Striped bass, Largemouth bass, Bluegill, Channel catfish

Does this lake even exist?...

The page "Labynkyr Lake" does not exist. You can ask for it to be created, but consider checking the search results below to see whether the topic is already covered.

For search help, please visit Help:Searching.

From Wikepedia.....

Again, I can not find anything yet on this lake, other then the stories of " lake monster".....Even youtube only has 2 videos ( both the same )....Webshots has nothing with that name. ( large picture sharing community, has everything you can think of there )

Until someone shows me something verifiable, I have to say, not only the monster, but the lake as well do not exist.

The legendary lake Labynkyr is situated near the Pole of Cold on the territory of Oimyakon uluss. It is mystical and exotic attraction. Legends speak about the monster that lives deep in the water of the legendary lake and attacks dogs, reindeers and even people................

Seem to see a lot of that also....

http://www.yakutiatravel.com/en/ecotours/mysterious-labynkyr-lake.html

Edited by Sakari

Wow....

Google " Łabynkyr pics " .......See your results.....

I found your " Łabynkyr ".....Don't believe me, look at your pic results......Then go to youtube and type in " Łabynkyr " .....One would think a picture, or a video would be somewhere?......Hell, even a real story on the lake?

[media=]

[/media]

This entire story is bull****.....

I have to laugh as to how so many will defend lake monsters, and not take 15 minutes to do a little searching first.....

Edited by Sakari

LOL....

Ok, I have done enough......

This person does not even seem to exist, not a professor anyway....

Associate Professor of Biogeography Lyudmila Emeliyanova

Articles state she is a Professor at Moscow State University......Search of that site brings :

По вашему запросу "Lyudmila Emeliyanova" не удалось найти ни одного документа.

In English : If you request, "Lyudmila Emeliyanova" could not find any documents. undefined

Is that enough research?

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

Does this lake even exist?...

The page "Labynkyr Lake" does not exist. You can ask for it to be created, but consider checking the search results below to see whether the topic is already covered.

For search help, please visit Help:Searching.

From Wikepedia.....

Again, I can not find anything yet on this lake, other then the stories of " lake monster".....Even youtube only has 2 videos ( both the same )....Webshots has nothing with that name. ( large picture sharing community, has everything you can think of there )

Until someone shows me something verifiable, I have to say, not only the monster, but the lake as well do not exist.

The legendary lake Labynkyr is situated near the Pole of Cold on the territory of Oimyakon uluss. It is mystical and exotic attraction. Legends speak about the monster that lives deep in the water of the legendary lake and attacks dogs, reindeers and even people................

Seem to see a lot of that also....

http://www.yakutiatr...ynkyr-lake.html

Thats what I was talking about - when I went looking around I just didn't find any of the regular, boring old lake-ish information that one usually finds. It was all mythical stories and lake-monster this and that.

It just made me wonder.

I would, at this point be more surprised to learn that the lake was real and didn't freeze, and didn't have any vegetation in it, than I would be to learn that it was all made up.

Please someone cite something so I can either crow about my cleverness or eat crow because I am proven wrong.

Thats what I was talking about - when I went looking around I just didn't find any of the regular, boring old lake-ish information that one usually finds. It was all mythical stories and lake-monster this and that.

It just made me wonder.

I would, at this point be more surprised to learn that the lake was real and didn't freeze, and didn't have any vegetation in it, than I would be to learn that it was all made up.

Please someone cite something so I can either crow about my cleverness or eat crow because I am proven wrong.

Hell, the lake does not exist, and even the good old Professor does not exist.....Not sure if you saw that in my other reply.

After I had posted that picture, and read your reply, that is when I started looking harder about what you said.....So, good job !!

I just want to see some people reply that " LOL'd ", and pointed out how some people do not do research.....Yet, gave dimensions of the lake?

I am pretty damn sure we will not be eating crow at all......If someone finds this " legendary " lake, and shows verifiable evidence it even exists, I will be happy to say, oops.

Yet again, another made up story goes viral on the internet, proving yet again Bigfoot and Lake Monsters are nothing more than stories and hoax's.

Apparently the lake does exist. But I am sure the monster doesn't.

http://www.chinci.com/travel/pax/q/2123872/Ozero+Labynkyr/RU/Russia/0/#

http://itouchmap.com/?c=rs&UF=-2943653&UN=-4123706&DG=LK

http://www.photo-geographic.ru/photobank/geo_object/labynkyr/1/

By the way, I did see photos of a lake with vegetation and ice in it. I am positive that a lake in subarctic Siberia that does not freeze over in the winter would be very noteworthy.

• Like 1

Apparently the lake does exist. But I am sure the monster doesn't.

http://www.chinci.co...r/RU/Russia/0/#

http://itouchmap.com...=-4123706&DG=LK

http://www.photo-geo...ect/labynkyr/1/

By the way, I did see photos of a lake with vegetation and ice in it. I am positive that a lake in subarctic Siberia that does not freeze over in the winter would be very noteworthy.

Thanks Evan....

Don't you find it odd though, those 3 sites, but not any gelogical site, or anything note worthy?

I had found one of those earlier, but did not want to call it verifiable....I still would think it would be pretty easy to find it somewhere, geological, etc. Hell, even " lakes of Russia ", or " lakes of Siberia "....

I would still like to see something more substantial....

The professor does not exist :)

Thanks Evan....

Don't you find it odd though, those 3 sites, but not any gelogical site, or anything note worthy?

Well I don't think it's that odd...in that no one lives there, and there are probably tens of thousands of similar lakes in the region, and there is nothing really that remarkable about the lake, other than a BS legend the crypto community in desperation is clinging to in order to keep up interest in their ongoing scams, and t-shirt sales.

I had found one of those earlier, but did not want to call it verifiable....I still would think it would be pretty easy to find it somewhere, geological, etc. Hell, even " lakes of Russia ", or " lakes of Siberia "....

Like I said I don't think there is anything noteworthy about this body of water, geological or otherwise, its just an average lake in a remote area, its not that large, not that deep, it has vegetation growing in it, and I bet it does in fact freeze over in winter, just like every lake in Siberia.

I would still like to see something more substantial....

Good luck with that.

The professor does not exist :)

I don't think so either, I looked for her and the only thing I could find her associated with is the lake monster stories.

I won't know whether to believe this story until I see verifiably refutable "proof" when they don't find anything on the monster quest show on LCD (nee:"History") channel.

LOL....

Ok, I have done enough......

This person does not even seem to exist, not a professor anyway....

Associate Professor of Biogeography Lyudmila Emeliyanova

Articles state she is a Professor at Moscow State University......Search of that site brings :

По вашему запросу "Lyudmila Emeliyanova" не удалось найти ни одного документа.

In English : If you request, "Lyudmila Emeliyanova" could not find any documents. undefined

Is that enough research?

Try http://www.biogeo.ru...id=63&Itemid=13

She exists, or someone with that name and position exists, at a field research station associated with Moscow State University. See the quote: "Principal investigator of station - Lyudmila Georgievna Emelianova, Cand. Sc. (Geography), assistant professor of department of biogeography."

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

Oh well, you know what Churchill said, Russia is a puzzle wrapped in an enigma.

• Like 3

Try http://www.biogeo.ru...id=63&Itemid=13

She exists, or someone with that name and position exists, at a field research station associated with Moscow State University. See the quote: "Principal investigator of station - Lyudmila Georgievna Emelianova, Cand. Sc. (Geography), assistant professor of department of biogeography."

The stories all say " Moscow State University ", and give description.....Her name can not be found there.

I found this:

Łabynkyr, ru . оз. Лабынгкыр (also Łabyng-kyr) - lake in Russia ( Yakutia ).

It lies on the Plateau Ojmiakońskiej foothills Suntar-Chajata at an altitude of 1020 m above sea level, passing through the river basin Łabynkyr Chastach (Upper Indygirki ).Length 14 km, width of about 4 km, maximum depth of 50 meters on the lake 3 small islands. In winter it freezes, but much later than the other lakes located in this region.

According to local legend lives in the lake Łabynkyr mysterious creature supposedly ravishing reindeer , dogs herding and hunting . Since the 60s Twentieth century, the lake is the goal of many research trips and tourist attraction.

You 22px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.pngRussia Area 60 km ² Dimensions 14.3 × 4.1 km Depth 53 m The height of the mirror 1020 m above sea level River Power Łabynkyr Rivers flowing Łabynkyr

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/%25C5%2581abynkyr&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%25C5%2581abynkyr%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26prmd%3Dimvns&sa=X&ei=dnJeUMLlHsi0iQfFjoDwDw&ved=0CDkQ7gEwAg

Sorry, been away for a few days.

I see people are doubting the lake exists. Here's a screenshot from Google Earth showing the lake, its name and the co-ordinates where you can find it. I should have posted this the other night, my apologies. I used Google Earth's own measuring tool to see how far it was from the nearest surfaced road. I have struggled to find a decent populated town within 100 miles or so, so would love to hear from anyone who can. I still do not think it is a "reservoir".

Screenshot2012-09-23at102049AM_zps9b9cdc84.jpg

And here are some pictures taken by (I assume) Russians, showing the lake and its environs. You can see the pictures on Google Earth itself when you zoom in with the correct settings checked.

68510873.jpg

7828297.jpg

7948801.jpg

5602276.jpg

If Google Earth can no longer be trusted, much as Wikipedia is reputed to be, then further apologies in advance - I had no idea it was full of false information. But the Russian titles in the Panaramio photos do say "Lake Labyngkyr", so that's a good start, anyway.

My apologies if I've ruffled your feathers, Sakari. I should have made better use of smilies, I guess. By the way, I wasn't referring to the "monster" pictures in your pdf, more the shot of the lake that is similiar to the one above. As I said, quite how you didn't reconcile the difference between that picture and the one of the large pond you posted is beyond me - unless you did it deliberately to misled people ? :innocent:

And again, I am also not supporting the "monster" theory, just defending a poor old lake whose existence is being abused.

I must admit though, I don't see many t-shirts being sold in any of those photos........

Edited by Macroramphosis

Is this your summation of the phenomenon after years of research in the field ? It does seem as though you have stated this as fact.........

Just an assumption from an amateur. I don't consider horse-headed lake monsters as fleshy creatures, they are seen in every corners of the globe and sometimes exactly at the same place where they were spotted a century earlier, which is suspiscious to me.

Sorry, been away for a few days.

I see people are doubting the lake exists. Here's a screenshot from Google Earth showing the lake, its name and the co-ordinates where you can find it. I should have posted this the other night, my apologies. I used Google Earth's own measuring tool to see how far it was from the nearest surfaced road. I have struggled to find a decent populated town within 100 miles or so, so would love to hear from anyone who can. I still do not think it is a "reservoir".

Screenshot2012-09-23at102049AM_zps9b9cdc84.jpg

And here are some pictures taken by (I assume) Russians, showing the lake and its environs. You can see the pictures on Google Earth itself when you zoom in with the correct settings checked.

68510873.jpg

7828297.jpg

7948801.jpg

5602276.jpg

If Google Earth can no longer be trusted, much as Wikipedia is reputed to be, then further apologies in advance - I had no idea it was full of false information. But the Russian titles in the Panaramio photos do say "Lake Labyngkyr", so that's a good start, anyway.

My apologies if I've ruffled your feathers, Sakari. I should have made better use of smilies, I guess. By the way, I wasn't referring to the "monster" pictures in your pdf, more the shot of the lake that is similiar to the one above. As I said, quite how you didn't reconcile the difference between that picture and the one of the large pond you posted is beyond me - unless you did it deliberately to misled people ? :innocent:

And again, I am also not supporting the "monster" theory, just defending a poor old lake whose existence is being abused.

I must admit though, I don't see many t-shirts being sold in any of those photos........

Thanks for the info - I'd not thought of using google earth.

The stories all say " Moscow State University ", and give description.....Her name can not be found there.

Check the building pictured at the top of the linked page: that's Moscow State University. I don't know for sure, but I suspect you'd find her name there if you had her name in Cyrillic and used a Cyrillic search engine; Russian names don't always transliterate well.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

Just an assumption from an amateur. I don't consider horse-headed lake monsters as fleshy creatures, they are seen in every corners of the globe and sometimes exactly at the same place where they were spotted a century earlier, which is suspiscious to me.

Ah, although if you believe in spatial dimensions rotating through time and space then just as planets align occasionally, so do the glimpses through the veil, as it were.

Supposedly. :santa:

Well maybe there is somekind of gas at some precise area around a lake which affect people's perception, making them to see a creature instead of another one.

Edited by Thegreatsilence