Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Best Guitar Player Of All Time.

Flying the flag for the Aussies:

John Butler is a Force of Nature. Tommy Emmanuel's studio albums are weak yet when performing live it's like he grows extra limbs. Both make my heart soar with delight as I weep with the knowledge of how good I can never be...

I've seen Clapton live twice - 1st time: he was running late as his plane was delayed but he really made up for it by giving it his all - awesome! 2nd time: disappointing - a mere parody of himself.

Good call, John Butler is indeed a force of nature. Great player I have to agree. Tommy is awesome too, as you say, the studio stuff is quite polished. His Brother Phil is a great deal more "raw" especially on stage. The Emmanuel brothers used to play here in the coast in the old days in the Hinterland pubs, one trick Tommy had was if he saw another guitarist on stage, some times he would snek up behind him, put his arms around him, and start playing as a second person on the same guitar - amazing man. I was lucky enough to take to the stage with Phil when they shut down the Tallebudgera hotel to build those units on the hill. We were playing a gig with him at Burleigh West just before he did that gig. Great guy on the guitar and in person, He is quite a fan of Jack Daniels as well as I remember :w00t:

I saw Clapton in New Zealand at Mount Smart. I was checking out the North Island when I found out that I had missed the gig and got as far as Rortarua, I turned around and caught a bus back to Auckland. Worth it too!

BB King , Hammont , Rory Gallagher , The guys from trivium , been listening to music and playing guitar for a long time the stuf they play is epic and extremly hard to play ,

Rodrigo y Gabreilla too there a class act

You can't really say "insert player" is the best guitar player ever. There are too many different styles and genres of music to compare. Some are better than others technically, others were more influential, others get named just because of their popularity (cough, cough jimmi paige). Jimmi Hendrix was an extremely talented guitarist for what he did and was very influential at the particular time. He did a lot of things that few had heard before, but in the same aspect a lot of what he did was just distortion and wa wa peddles. I still believe, while not the best technical guitarist, he was very good and one of the most influential. Stevie Ray Vaughan was a far better technical guitarist than hendrix and basically brought texas blues to the mainstream. Very few had the endurance to play like SRV. Buddy Guy could be put on the list far above others that were mentioned. Hell, Clapton called him the "best guitar player alive today." That says a lot in itself. Some guys just play really fast and could be considered talented, but not in the whole scheme of things in my opinion. Basically what I am trying to say is that there isn't a BEST. There are super talented guitarists in every genre and some have been more influential than others.

Mike

• Like 1

You can't really say "insert player" is the best guitar player ever. There are too many different styles and genres of music to compare. Some are better than others technically, others were more influential, others get named just because of their popularity (cough, cough jimmi paige). Jimmi Hendrix was an extremely talented guitarist for what he did and was very influential at the particular time. He did a lot of things that few had heard before, but in the same aspect a lot of what he did was just distortion and wa wa peddles. I still believe, while not the best technical guitarist, he was very good and one of the most influential. Stevie Ray Vaughan was a far better technical guitarist than hendrix and basically brought texas blues to the mainstream. Very few had the endurance to play like SRV. Buddy Guy could be put on the list far above others that were mentioned. Hell, Clapton called him the "best guitar player alive today." That says a lot in itself. Some guys just play really fast and could be considered talented, but not in the whole scheme of things in my opinion. Basically what I am trying to say is that there isn't a BEST. There are super talented guitarists in every genre and some have been more influential than others.

Mike

I agree with most of what you say. Except Jimmy Page. While not the best guitarist of all time in my opinion, to say that he is only named because of his popularity is crazy. He was recongnized as a great session guitarist at an early age before the Yardbirds (The Yardbirds definetely get the nod for the best guitarists in their group - Clapton, Beck and Page. Never all 3 together, but any 2 of those at one time is amazing!). Add the fact that he created Led Zeppelin, and influenced not just the guitar work, but the music itself. There is no denying he could play the guitar as well. Like I said, I don't think he was the best, but you could argue he is among the best. I actually think the polularity of Zep may hurt his rating. Many times people will dismiss the popular in favor of the abstract. That is not always right. Of course this coming from myself who threw my vote for Rory Gallaghger and Robin Trower.

I also liked him in The Firm.

I agree with most of what you say. Except Jimmy Page. While not the best guitarist of all time in my opinion, to say that he is only named because of his popularity is crazy. He was recongnized as a great session guitarist at an early age before the Yardbirds (The Yardbirds definetely get the nod for the best guitarists in their group - Clapton, Beck and Page. Never all 3 together, but any 2 of those at one time is amazing!). Add the fact that he created Led Zeppelin, and influenced not just the guitar work, but the music itself. There is no denying he could play the guitar as well. Like I said, I don't think he was the best, but you could argue he is among the best. I actually think the polularity of Zep may hurt his rating. Many times people will dismiss the popular in favor of the abstract. That is not always right. Of course this coming from myself who threw my vote for Rory Gallaghger and Robin Trower.

Ok, I will agree that Page is a good guitarist, and out of Zep he was most likely the most influential member. You can't really argue with Clapton, Beck, and Page either. Zep just ripped off so many songs, it makes me want to dislike them, but I don't. I actually like a lot of their music. Page did have a knack for alternate tunings and nifty guitar riffs, I will give him that.

Mike

Ok, I will agree that Page is a good guitarist, and out of Zep he was most likely the most influential member. You can't really argue with Clapton, Beck, and Page either. Zep just ripped off so many songs, it makes me want to dislike them, but I don't. I actually like a lot of their music. Page did have a knack for alternate tunings and nifty guitar riffs, I will give him that.

Mike

I gather we like the same music. :clap:

I've always been a huge Clapton fan. He is soooooooooo clean in concert.

If you want a great Christmas song, go for A little Town of Bethlehem by Robin Trower. Very cool.

Mike

Well put.

Totally agree Myles, I find Jimmy Page was a wizard and had his own influence on modern music. Who else would have thought of using a violin bow on a guitar. I list him as a personal influence, and whilst I feel Hendrix was the most influential guitarist of all time, personally, Page is one of my biggest influences. Although I agree there is no best, but Hendrix was the most influential.

Edited by psyche101

I think that if we are going to talk about influence of various guitarists we will probably start to diverge from the incredibly technically gifted guitarists and in the the territory of popularity. What about John Lennon or George Harrison? Neither were virtuoso musicians but their music reached SO MANY people, undoubtedly inspiring some of them to take up the guitar. Or Les Paul for that matter - not only could that man play like a fiend (his wife as well) but he invented the electric guitar for goodness sakes. Skipping to my generation - what about Kurt Cobain? Not an incredibly gifted player, but he no doubt inspired thousands of teens in the 90's to explore guitar playing who may have not done so otherwise. Influence is difficult to measure.

Personally, I would really think that guitarists such as Robert Johnson should be higher on the list than Jimi Hendrix. The old blues guitarists like Johnson, Scrapper Blackwell, Son House, I mean they were IT! If you want to talk about starting something or being influential I mean there you go. The guitarists I just mentioned started a whole genre of music that influenced some of the greatest guitarists of all time. B.B. King, Muddy Waters, etc... who in turn were inspirations for people like Hendrix, SRV, Eric Clapton, etc.... So in my opinion no conversation of guitrists can be complete without mentioning the names above. Robert Johnson was one of the best ever and had a style completely his own. If you listen to some of his stuff you would swear there were 3 guitars playing. There were not, it was just him.

Mike

B.B. King: still doin' it ........ and he's 76! Amazing voice, too.

http://youtu.be/4fk2prKnYnI

Edited by ouija ouija

Personally, I would really think that guitarists such as Robert Johnson should be higher on the list than Jimi Hendrix. The old blues guitarists like Johnson, Scrapper Blackwell, Son House, I mean they were IT! If you want to talk about starting something or being influential I mean there you go. The guitarists I just mentioned started a whole genre of music that influenced some of the greatest guitarists of all time. B.B. King, Muddy Waters, etc... who in turn were inspirations for people like Hendrix, SRV, Eric Clapton, etc.... So in my opinion no conversation of guitrists can be complete without mentioning the names above. Robert Johnson was one of the best ever and had a style completely his own. If you listen to some of his stuff you would swear there were 3 guitars playing. There were not, it was just him.

Mike

I would agree that Robert Johnson was perhaps even more instrumental in modern music than Hendrix, but Hendrix was definitely more influential. He re-wrote the entire concept of lead guitar. Hendrix was inspired by others, may of us are, but he took the reigns and forged a new path.

Edited by psyche101

• 2 weeks later...

Gary Moore

Rory Gallagher

Philip Lynott

Yes.

A wee mention for this guy....

"A friend sent me this amazing YouTube video about Tony Melendez, a Nicaraguan American guitar player, composer and singer and songwriter whose story is simply inspiring. He was born without arms due to a side effect of Thalidomide his mother was taking during her pregnancy.

Personally, I find it difficult enough playing and singing with all faculties intact – and despite this disability, Meléndez has taught himself how to play the guitar with his feet."

http://www.guitarpug.com/2008/06/tony-melendez-inspirational-disabled-guitar-player/

Video at link above.

:)

• 3 months later...

Slash.

I agree that trying to name someone "The greatest All time" is futile... A lot of very very excellent guitarists have been named inthis thread, but my vote for greatest FEMALE guitarist of all time is The coochi coochi girl herself - Charo

All acoustic -

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIsTBq7aG7I

For sheer virtuosity you have to consider flamenco guitarist as well...

Edited by Taun

Probably the most influential guitarist would be Les Paul.. Not necessarily for how he played (and he was very good) but for inventing the electric guitar...

• Like 1

Probably the most influential guitarist would be Les Paul.. Not necessarily for how he played (and he was very good) but for inventing the electric guitar...

he and Marshall (of Marshall Amp fame...dont know his first name)

"Best" is a subjective term. I can pick my favorites. Blackmore hands down my favorite.

Earl Slick (who?) is #2 on my list (good enough for Bowie and Lennon, good enough for me).

Vernon Reid of Living Colour...(good enough for Jagger...).

Another suprise pick would be taking Billy Duffy of The Cult at #4 (Sonic Temple has to be the best guitar album of all-time).

#5 I might go with Townsend just for his writing skills, creativity, and the man bleeds for his music.

I'm sure tomorrow I could come back with someone completely different at 3, 4, and 5, but Blackmore and Slick stay 1-2 for me.

But then I'm just a mule....and a drummer.... (which reminds me...what about Lifeson???

• Like 1

yeah, it really does boil down to favorites.

But really, it's like: Okay, I am a huge Robin Trower fan...I have seen him several times. In the Eightys I was all...Trower is God on guitar. Then I saw Clapton...Clapton is God on guitar...then I saw Uli Jon Roth...same thing. Then I saw ZZ Top several times...Billy Gibbons is God on guitar. I just saw Slash a couple of weeks ago...Slash IS God on guitar.

The truth is, as John Sebastian wrote:

Well, there's 1352 guitar pickers in Nashville, And anyone that unpacks his guitar can play twice as better than I will!

But what are we going to do you know....we just do what we love...and hopefully, we love what we do.

he and Marshall (of Marshall Amp fame...dont know his first name)

"Best" is a subjective term. I can pick my favorites. Blackmore hands down my favorite.

Earl Slick (who?) is #2 on my list (good enough for Bowie and Lennon, good enough for me).

Vernon Reid of Living Colour...(good enough for Jagger...).

Another suprise pick would be taking Billy Duffy of The Cult at #4 (Sonic Temple has to be the best guitar album of all-time).

#5 I might go with Townsend just for his writing skills, creativity, and the man bleeds for his music.

I'm sure tomorrow I could come back with someone completely different at 3, 4, and 5, but Blackmore and Slick stay 1-2 for me.

But then I'm just a mule....and a drummer.... (which reminds me...what about Lifeson???

I forgot about Marshall... You're right it was the efforts of both....

• Like 1

Eddie Wilson - You can hide under another name but you can't disguise how you play

Ellas McDaniel - ahead of his time

Dr. Brian May - played in the greatest band ever

Edited by william joseph

Segovia, Jeff Beck, Chris Poland, Norman Blake