Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unreported Serial Killers On The Loose

Clarakore

A homeless guy was murdered in a city near mine. The police were able to catch the killer a couple of days later by checking CCTV cameras in the area.

The urban legend in my state is killers hunt backpackers on the very remote outback highways. Middle of nowhere, and no one to hear you scream. I can think of only one reported case, but the story is a little shaky. The movie Wolf Creek was loosely based on it.

The other cases turned out to be one backpacker would kill the other backpacker and blame it on a maniac that would pull them over on the highways.

You are thinking of Ivan Milat who killed seven foreign backpackers in Belangelo State Forest: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/milat/discovery_1.html

You are thinking of Ivan Milat who killed seven foreign backpackers in Belangelo State Forest: http://www.trutv.com...iscovery_1.html

Nah I know of Ivan Milat. Scary guy. I know he hunted backpackers too.

Just growing up there was always rumours of these killers on the outback highways, stupid school talk. But I was thinking more along the lines of Bradley John Murdock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_John_Murdoch

Just a thought...

If you have "illegal immigrants" and refused "asylum seekers" hiding all over your country, you probably have more maniacs than you think. I appreciate most of those immigrants come in desperation and are decent humans but I'm pretty sure there must be some who are here looking for fresh prey. Or chased out of their own country by lynch mobs. Only saying. Nice thought, ain't it.

:)

Just a thought...

If you have "illegal immigrants" and refused "asylum seekers" hiding all over your country, you probably have more maniacs than you think. I appreciate most of those immigrants come in desperation and are decent humans but I'm pretty sure there must be some who are here looking for fresh prey. Or chased out of their own country by lynch mobs. Only saying. Nice thought, ain't it.

Don't say that. We've had over 10,000 asylum seekers so far this year. That's way too many outback maniacs for my liking. :)

Edited by DKO
  • Like 1

Just a thought...

If serial killers have underlying mental issues and apparently they do 'want to get caught' maybe all serial killers are 'Asylum Seekers'...... Mental Asylum Seekers (MAS).....

That in turn would make them MAS Murderers....

• Like 1

Just a thought...

Hope you're wrong 'bout that - although we probably do have more maniacs than we think, the number of people that go missing is a worry. Just as likely to be someone who is confident and comfortable in their own neighbourhood aka: homegrown but it is a common complaint that others should not bring their issues to our country. Start a new life and enjoy but leave your hatreds and biases etc behind, grrrr.

• Like 1

Hope you're wrong 'bout that -

Some like to travel, my friend... only saying... lol

"After finally finishing his sentence, he spent the following years drifting, committing numerous acts of burglary, arson and rape, always targeted at men, throughout Kansas, Texas, Oregon, California, Washington, Idaho and Utah

After his second incarceration and escape from a prison in Oregon, he went to the east coast.....

When the workers went on strike, he moved on to Chile. During the following months, Panzram travelled to Port Arthur, Texas, London, England, Glasgow, Scotland, Paris, France and Hamburg, Germany.

After serving six months in prison for burglary and possession of a loaded gun, he stowed away on a ship headed to Angola, a Portuguese colony on the west-African coast, where he got a job as a foreman on an oil-drilling rig for the Sinclair Oil Company. During his time there, he raped an 11-12-year-old local boy and bashed him to death with a rock." http://criminalminds...ki/Carl_Panzram

..and he wasn't done yet!

*scary music*

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

"After finally finishing his sentence, he spent the following years drifting, committing numerous acts of burglary, arson and rape, always targeted at men, throughout Kansas, Texas, Oregon, California, Washington, Idaho and Utah

After his second incarceration and escape from a prison in Oregon, he went to the east coast.....

When the workers went on strike, he moved on to Chile. During the following months, Panzram travelled to Port Arthur, Texas, London, England, Glasgow, Scotland, Paris, France and Hamburg, Germany.

After serving six months in prison for burglary and possession of a loaded gun, he stowed away on a ship headed to Angola, a Portuguese colony on the west-African coast, where he got a job as a foreman on an oil-drilling rig for the Sinclair Oil Company. During his time there, he raped an 11-12-year-old local boy and bashed him to death with a rock." http://criminalminds...ki/Carl_Panzram

*scary music*

*scary music*

Hmm seems to me that the thing about travelling - he just might meet someone crazier than he is, pride coming before the fall and all that Jazz - it would make a good "Twilight Zone" plot.

Hmm seems to me that the thing about travelling - he just might meet someone crazier than he is, pride coming before the fall and all that Jazz - it would make a good "Twilight Zone" plot.

His kin moved to Melbourne.

His kin moved to Melbourne.

pfft. I don't scare so easy, besides I scream like a banshee - he'd be deaf within .3 of a second and in utter agony .3 of a second after that from the waist down.

• Like 1

Isn't there a theory out of the many theories) that Jack the ripper was a traveller?

Apparently a Pimp from South Africa (I think) who was well travelled, and his visits to London coincided with the killings...

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

As someone who knows. The answer is an emphatic "no". If links are established between homicides it helps an investigation. But in the end nobody wants more innocent victims and the families who are "secondary victims. " Agencies are sharing info and data at an international level Joe on many cases and even though "big brother" may be watching and civil rights may be violated. Every cop from a new recruit up would do anything it takes to bring one of these predators to justice.

• Like 2

Isn't there a theory out of the many theories) that Jack the ripper was a traveller?

Apparently a Pimp from south Africa (I think) who was well travelled, and his visits to London coincided with the killings...

Did he play his cricket for England?

• Like 1

Well, experts estimate that there are anywhere from 50 to 300 serial killers active at any given time, so Unsolved Mysteries may not have been to far off.

Also, just have to say, I loved that show. Not the remake, just the original with Robert Stack. He will always be Ultra Magnus to me...

4043681_std.jpg

You know, if nothing else, this thread made me remember that show... and order DVD's of it for my October viewing because I remember it being rather scary.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Every year budding serial killers go unnoticed. Those that have been captured have been done so by incredible strokes of luck or because they wanted the notoriety or infamy. Since most real serial killers are in the bright normal range, it stands to reason that given the right mind set, they may actually go unnoticed.

Don't believe what television and the news tells you. Make up your own mind.

i always wanted to make serial killer trading cards (but i didnt want to give them reward for killing someone so)

They actually make those you know

• Like 1

I think you all need to watch this!

That is interesting but what they dont tell you is that Berkowitz said he was told to kill by a dog.

And Lucas was absolutely insane, claiming he killed 300 people....come on

The individual murders are usually reported in the news but if they are going on a killing spree across different states the connection may not be talked about. At least not in the beginning until they get a composite of how the perpertrator might look. Then they might want to run that picture everywhere to find out if someone recognizes them.

The law was changed down to Ted Bundy, before him the different states did not have a system and did not communicate with each other when a serial killer was crossing states and killing.

How a person might look like is only achieved by having eye witnesses, hence why profiling is used.

Murders are not attributed to being the work of a serial killer until 3 or more murders have been committed and a link is found, hence why it is not reported that it is the work of a serial killer until there is a pattern and continuation of murders, sometimes it is over a period of a week, sometimes months and in many cases, years.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Yeah Ted Bundy was a monster, I saw and interview with him after he was caught and the way he described the murders was kind of strange he would say " and then he would hit her over the head" Like he was actually watching someone else commit the murder.

Edited by ReaperS_ParadoX

Speaking of serial killers, I heard something the other day about some people being found at a lake somewhere.The first couple was found in the lake, in their car. The second group was some teenagers found in their car at the same lake. The couple had been missing since the 60's and the teenagers had been missing since the 70's I think.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Unsolved Serial Killings by RJ Parker published March 2014

"estimate that there are between 35 and 50 serial killers on the loose and active in theUnited States alone. Some even put the number closer in the hundreds."

Yeah-there out there...