Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Farmington Aramada 1950

That was a pretty interesting piece! I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing the link

• Like 1

Its a good film to remember, Remember Life`s like a Box of Chocolates !

Although the breakup of a Skyhook balloon was the official explanation for this case, Dr. James McDoanld investigated it thoroughly in the 1960s and found that no such balloons were launched anywhere in the U.S. at that time to account for the sighting. Therefore it remains an unexplained, if long-forgotten UFO sighting.

http://redstarfilms....ton-armada.html

One red-colored object was larger and faster than the others, and appeared to be the "leader".

http://www.ufoeviden...ses/case880.htm

To quote McDonald in his testimony before Congress:

"This once-headlined, but now almost forgotten multiple-witness case has been explained as resulting from the breakup of a Skyhook balloon. Skyhooks do shatter at the very low temperatures of the upper troposphere, and occasionally break into a number of smaller pieces. But to suggest that such fragments of transparent plastic at altitudes of the order of 40-50,000 ft. could be detected by the naked eye, and to intimate that these distant objects of low angular velocity could confuse dozens of persons into describing fast-moving disc-shaped objects (including a large red object) is simply not reasonable. However, to check further on this, I contacted first Holloman AFB and then the Office of Naval Research, who jointly hold records on all Alamogordo Skyhook releases. No Skyhooks or other experimental balloons had been released from the Holloman area or any other part of the country on or near the date of this incident. A suggestion that the witnesses were seeing only cotton-wisps was not only unreasonable, given the witness accounts, but was in fact tracked down by a local journalist to comments casually made by a law enforcement officer and overheard by another reporter. From my examination of this case, I see no ready explanation for the numerous disc-shaped objects moving in unconventional manner and seen by large numbers of Farmington residents on 3/17/50"

http://theedgeofreality.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=historicalcases&action=print&thread=908

I think that's where this case is going to be left, as unknown or unexplained.

Edited by TheMcGuffin

Ever been to Farmington N.M ? Meet the actual people ? My wife was made there ! Ive been there numerous times. Gotten Lots of Speeding tickets there. Something about 88 MPH gets there attention !

But any case Its not all that far from a lot of UFO hot spots ! I wonder?\

Could be really close to those secret underground bases that pop up from now and then !

Well Tak a trip New MExico is calling you !

The Aztec crash is a known Hoax. Gracious me Zoser.

The Aztec story was revived in 1986 by William Steinman and Wendelle Stevens in their privately-published book called UFO Crash at Aztec. It was revived again in 1998 when Linda Mouton Howe, a UFO and Art Bell mainstay, claimed she had government documents that proved the Aztec crash. What she had was a rumor eight times removed from the source, Silas Newton, that eventually ended up in a memo written to J. Edgar Hoover. Newton told George Koehler about 3-foot tall aliens and their saucer; Koehler told Morley Davies who told Jack Murphy and I. J. van Horn who told Rudy Fick who told the editor of the Wyandotte Echo in Kansas City where it was read by an Air Force agent in the Office of Special Investigations who passed on the story to Guy Hottel of the FBI who sent a memo to his boss (Thomas).

The citizens of Aztec have seen how

Roswell has turned UFO mania into a profitable tourist attraction and have followed suit. Like the citizens of Roswell, they now sponsor an annual UFO Festival. The festival was started as a way to raise money for the town's library. There must be a better way.

LINK - Aztec UFO Hoax

Link #2 -The Aztec NM UFO Scam.

Farmington

I suspect balloons, whilst Skyhook might be out of the question but Fu-Go type balloons I feel are a definite possibility. It fits the description, explains the sighting, and explains why nobody saw thousands of craft zipping to earth from space. After these things dropped their bombs a fuse would light and the balloon would become an orange-red fireball. And they typically travel at 30,000 feet. High enough for a candidate as well. It seems plausible that a failed balloon mission reached it's target and only one balloon got as far as the incendiary device explaining the one read "leader". More investigation required, but this seems a very plausible option to me.

Is that The McGuffin? Welcome back old chap! Good to see you around again!

Cheers.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

Cheers.

Hello Psyche,

Yes, I guess I have been away for quite a while, very busy with work and other things.

As for the Farmington thing, I doubt that anyone is ever going to know much more about it than is already known today, not after all these years.

Hello Psyche,

Yes, I guess I have been away for quite a while, very busy with work and other things.

As for the Farmington thing, I doubt that anyone is ever going to know much more about it than is already known today, not after all these years.

Hi McGuffin

You are most probably right, but I think that an earthly explanation is not impossible or out of any realms with this one.

Mate, it is good to see you back, I have been wondering where you went. Many of us are having an unprecedented busy year, I hope all is well with you. I look forward to you continuing to keep me on my toes.

Cheers.

The Aztec crash is a known Hoax. Gracious me Zoser.

The Aztec story was revived in 1986 by William Steinman and Wendelle Stevens in their privately-published book called UFO Crash at Aztec. It was revived again in 1998 when Linda Mouton Howe, a UFO and Art Bell mainstay, claimed she had government documents that proved the Aztec crash. What she had was a rumor eight times removed from the source, Silas Newton, that eventually ended up in a memo written to J. Edgar Hoover. Newton told George Koehler about 3-foot tall aliens and their saucer; Koehler told Morley Davies who told Jack Murphy and I. J. van Horn who told Rudy Fick who told the editor of the Wyandotte Echo in Kansas City where it was read by an Air Force agent in the Office of Special Investigations who passed on the story to Guy Hottel of the FBI who sent a memo to his boss (Thomas).

Roswell has turned UFO mania into a profitable tourist attraction and have followed suit. Like the citizens of Roswell, they now sponsor an annual UFO Festival. The festival was started as a way to raise money for the town's library. There must be a better way.

LINK - Aztec UFO Hoax

Link #2 -The Aztec NM UFO Scam.

Farmington

I suspect balloons, whilst Skyhook might be out of the question but Fu-Go type balloons I feel are a definite possibility. It fits the description, explains the sighting, and explains why nobody saw thousands of craft zipping to earth from space. After these things dropped their bombs a fuse would light and the balloon would become an orange-red fireball. And they typically travel at 30,000 feet. High enough for a candidate as well. It seems plausible that a failed balloon mission reached it's target and only one balloon got as far as the incendiary device explaining the one read "leader". More investigation required, but this seems a very plausible option to me.

Cheers.

The Aztec incident a known hoax? Not according to the eyewitnesses that were there on the scene and not according to the expert researcher in the video, which I am sure that you watched before posting?

The Aztec incident a known hoax? Not according to the eyewitnesses that were there on the scene and not according to the expert researcher in the video, which I am sure that you watched before posting?

Hello Zoser

Yes, I did, heck, would I miss an opportunity to hear Stanton Friedman offer some insights? LOL maybe don't answer that! I admit that it is a good ad to promote Ramseys crackpotiness, did you listen to the first part? About 2:45 the bloke tells you the tale has been rehashed time and again in many formats, later pflock explains it's popularity is due to it being an original story and also mentions what I have posted below from the previous link I offerred to you - a good comparison here would be the tale of the flood in the Bible, repeated time and again, and stolen from previous tales, (like this one and Roswell) and is wholeheartedly believed by a great many people. It's nonsense though, the earth was not covered with water 2,000 years ago, and the earth itself is living proof of this. What I want to know is how does it affect the facts posted in the link I offered, which I am sure you clicked on and read? They support the fact that this particular incident is a hoax situation. I did get a chuckle halfway through when the bloke says that The Skeptics claim they were looking for gas, (around the old slab) as if it is a silly idea, and then the other guy says is their oil and gas around here?, to which he replies, well, yes. That was really funny.

Good to see you picking up enough courage to answer my posts agin zoser! Hope for you yet! A good investigator should show no fear!

Yes, it was a hoax, because someone is trying to use it to make a name in the same shameful fashion that so many raped Roswell with does not make it credible. Heck, they discuss Roswell as if it has been decided that the popular media version has been proven correct! Nothing could be further from the truth! May I ask Zoser, do you ever bother with the Documentaries that people like Stephen Hawking and Brian Greene participate in? You do realise that entertainment is a large factor when considering these programs and takes a back seat to fact? Fact is not all that exciting when compared to Aliens and conspiracies, and as a result it does not sell all that well.

Zoser, they do not come much more blatant than this, surely you have seen cases that are far more compelling than this pile of fertiliser. Have you ever read much about Portage County? That one even does my head in.

Newton and Gebauer were involved in oil exploration finance schemes. Their hoax was perpetrated to get investors. They claimed they had built a machine that would find oil and natural gas deposits using alien technology. J.P. Cahn of the San Francisco Chronicle had some of the "alien" metal tested and determined it was aluminum. Cahn's account of the phony alien ship appeared in True magazine in 1952. Several people who had been swindled by Newton and Gebauer came forward. One of their victims, Herman Glader, a millionaire from Denver, pressed charges and the pair was convicted of fraud and related charges in 1953. (They had charged $18,500 for a "tuner" which could be bought at surplus stores for $3.50 at the time.)

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

I couldn't find any more information on the Farmington UFOs beyond what is already known.

There seems to have been a UFO flap in New Mexico in 1950 involving the usual places: Kirtland Air Force Base, White Sands, Sandia National Labs, Los Alamos, which produced so many good UFO reports over the years. At this time, the US has also begun its crash program to build the hydrogen bomb, and this seemed to have produced a flurry of UFO cases.

The military began its Project Twinkle investigation of "green fireballs" in New Mexico in April 1950. In Jily 1950, Gen. Charles Cabell, head of AF Intelligence, ordered his own UFO investigation, and he requested the assistance of the FBI as well.

Radio commentator Walter Winchell claimed that the UFOs were Soviet secret weapons, then another commentator named Henry J. Taylor stated they were U.S. secret weapons, while the White House and Defense Department issued a denial on April 4, 1950 that they were either U.S. or Soviet. That denial was issued by Gen. Robert Landry, Truman's air force liason who also reported to him verbally on UFO matters.

Lots of Blue Book unknowns and unidentifieds from this period as well.

Silas Newton started giving his talks on crashed UFOs on March 8, 1950, and we now know that not only was the FBI aware of his activities but was actually encouraging them.

http://www.nicap.org...1950fullrep.htm

Edited by TheMcGuffin

Newton and Gebauer were involved in oil exploration finance schemes. Their hoax was perpetrated to get investors. They claimed they had built a machine that would find oil and natural gas deposits using alien technology. J.P. Cahn of the San Francisco Chronicle had some of the "alien" metal tested and determined it was aluminum. Cahn's account of the phony alien ship appeared in True magazine in 1952. Several people who had been swindled by Newton and Gebauer came forward. One of their victims, Herman Glader, a millionaire from Denver, pressed charges and the pair was convicted of fraud and related charges in 1953. (They had charged $18,500 for a "tuner" which could be bought at surplus stores for $3.50 at the time.)

Yes, I think that the record is clear about Newton and Gebauer being con artists involved in various schemes, and it also came out later that the government was actually encouraging them to spread these crashed UFO stories, for whatever reason.

Brad Sparks found that the crashed saucer stories of the Frank Scully tpye had already began to pop up in January 1950:

"A new wave of Frank Scully-type hoax stories begin to circulate widely through the media nationwide, including TIME and Newsweek magazines (stories of the AF meeting live aliens, recovering crashed saucers, bodies of little green men). Apparently the new stories were inspired by AFOSI (AF Office of Special Investigations) as a disinformation operation to discredit the Roswell incident in advance, in case Roswell should leak. The AF was fearful that retired Navy-Marine officer-pilot and investigative reporter Maj. Donald Keyhoe, after his blockbuster TRUE article, was hot on the trail of uncovering Roswell, though he was not (the AF had no way of knowing that). AF viewed this as a Navy attack on the AF, exploiting inter-service rivalry and using dirty tricks, and expected more to come."

I have no way of knowing how much of this is true, but there was a real flutter of UFO reports around this time in 1950, which was the same year that the Korean War began and the H-Bomb was being developed. At the same time, there were government denials, non-denials, speculative media reports, secret investigations, disinformation and so on, and at this late date the waters are so muddied it's difficult to sort out just what was really going on.

http://www.nicap.org/waves/1950fullrep.htm

• 4 months later...

WOw ! that was just like Time travel !

I ran out of things to say about the "Farmington Armada", which was certainly a real event, but if the military or anyone else ever investigated it at the time none of the records are available.

I ran out of things to say about the "Farmington Armada", which was certainly a real event, but if the military or anyone else ever investigated it at the time none of the records are available.

I just know I get speeding tickets ever signal time I drive thru there on my way to Durango Colo. THey know my banking number by heart ! Cha-Ching ! But what the HEy ! IT helps the local econ.

ANd Im always in a hurry to Hit the Slopes ! :tu:

P.S. as for the Sightings ? Well thats just a guess If that ever happened !

I don't doubt that Farmington was real since the UFOs were also seen in Las Vegas, New Mexico. In fact, it might be one of the largest mass witness cases in history. James McDonald found plenty of witnesses to these events when he did his investigation many years later.

There is a very brief video about it:

I don't doubt that Farmington was real since the UFOs were also seen in Las Vegas, New Mexico. In fact, it might be one of the largest mass witness cases in history. James McDonald found plenty of witnesses to these events when he did his investigation many years later.

There is a very brief video about it:

[media=]

[/media]

You've got to love the way Stan Friedmann thinks. He analyses things in a very perceptive way and yet in no way is he gullible. One of the best Ufologists imho. I do think he is wrong about Bob Lazar though. I think Bob lazar is genuine, and was protected by his mentor Teller;which was why he wasn't taken out.

Bob Lazar is about as fake as they come.IMO :tu:

Since he has nothing whatsoever to do with this Farmington Armada in 1950, any mention of him in this context just seems gratuitous.

Since he has nothing whatsoever to do with this Farmington Armada in 1950, any mention of him in this context just seems gratuitous.

Agreed ! on that Big-Mac-G but THere are some noted events near and around the Farmington and Aztec area, Up near the Colorado line too ! Ive even seen a caravan of Men in Black,Even though they were all in White vans !

But they did travel like nobodys bussiness ! I sure do know it was not far a Sat install.or T.V. hook up ! ITs was several years ago on one of our trips

Keep Looking Up ! :tu:

Hello Zoser

Yes, I did, heck, would I miss an opportunity to hear Stanton Friedman offer some insights? LOL maybe don't answer that! I admit that it is a good ad to promote Ramseys crackpotiness, did you listen to the first part? About 2:45 the bloke tells you the tale has been rehashed time and again in many formats, later pflock explains it's popularity is due to it being an original story and also mentions what I have posted below from the previous link I offerred to you - a good comparison here would be the tale of the flood in the Bible, repeated time and again, and stolen from previous tales, (like this one and Roswell) and is wholeheartedly believed by a great many people. It's nonsense though, the earth was not covered with water 2,000 years ago, and the earth itself is living proof of this. What I want to know is how does it affect the facts posted in the link I offered, which I am sure you clicked on and read? They support the fact that this particular incident is a hoax situation. I did get a chuckle halfway through when the bloke says that The Skeptics claim they were looking for gas, (around the old slab) as if it is a silly idea, and then the other guy says is their oil and gas around here?, to which he replies, well, yes. That was really funny.

Good to see you picking up enough courage to answer my posts agin zoser! Hope for you yet! A good investigator should show no fear!

Yes, it was a hoax, because someone is trying to use it to make a name in the same shameful fashion that so many raped Roswell with does not make it credible. Heck, they discuss Roswell as if it has been decided that the popular media version has been proven correct! Nothing could be further from the truth! May I ask Zoser, do you ever bother with the Documentaries that people like Stephen Hawking and Brian Greene participate in? You do realise that entertainment is a large factor when considering these programs and takes a back seat to fact? Fact is not all that exciting when compared to Aliens and conspiracies, and as a result it does not sell all that well.

Zoser, they do not come much more blatant than this, surely you have seen cases that are far more compelling than this pile of fertiliser. Have you ever read much about Portage County? That one even does my head in.

That Portage County incident was insanely absured what they wrote it off as LMAO.... :lol: :lol:

Agreed ! on that Big-Mac-G but THere are some noted events near and around the Farmington and Aztec area, Up near the Colorado line too ! Ive even seen a caravan of Men in Black,Even though they were all in White vans !

But they did travel like nobodys bussiness ! I sure do know it was not far a Sat install.or T.V. hook up ! ITs was several years ago on one of our trips

Keep Looking Up ! :tu:

Well, it's New Mexico so there's always a lot of military-related activity there. I never believed that radar could knock down UFOs or anything like that, but the Aztec investigators did find that New Mexico had several classified radar installations for air defense purposes that were very powerful.

I could imagine UFOs picking up on these high-powered signals and basically homing right in on them. It would be like a beacon of some kind that would tell them something interesting was going on.

One thing that is clear to me is that they demonstrated a strong interest in jets, balloons, missiles, nuclear facilities and so on. We are literally awash with military reports about UFOs like these in the 1940s and 1950s, like they were all over the place all of a sudden. All I can think of to explain it is that these new technical developments must have caught their interest, unless we are just going to dismiss all these military reports as nothing.

Edited by TheMacGuffin