Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Did Easter Island statues 'walk' ?

What is it about the puppet archeologists? They can't get their heads around the fact that even with all of our tech, we couldn't move the damn things either! They are really grasping at straws with this theory, and they won't come out with what they really think!

moving a stone isnt rocket science...

moving a stone isnt rocket science...

Indeed, it's rock science.

I'd like to see you moving a statue (not a simple "stone") so heavy, for so long distances, without our technology and without damaging it.

As for the theory exposed, I agree with DieChecker, if I were in them, I wouldn't have risked to damage or destroy one of the Moai with such an unstable technique.

We don't know what they represented, but surely they were very important to the islanders: would you risk the most precious thing you have trying to make it "walk" to the point where it has to stay?

Further, it's not the same trying a 5 tons replica, where some of them are 50 tons. The weight and the heigh change everything, it's not only a matter of "scale up" the effort.

What is it about the puppet archeologists? They can't get their heads around the fact that even with all of our tech, we couldn't move the damn things either! They are really grasping at straws with this theory, and they won't come out with what they really think!

it is when said stone is 72' high and 145 tons. that was the largets ever made.

no wonder why they left it in the quary! LOL

just as an aside, I wonder what method of moving that one the 9 miles they had in mind when they cut it, anyway?

it surely wasn't to walk or "daddy" it.

What you fail to realize is over the years the statues have been buried by buildup of dirt and sand. If you took the island coast down to the level it was when they were placed there, you might find remnants of roads.

Central American Temples were just hills until the dirt and vines were removed. Maybe there could be roads. But hey good luck walking 5 tons..I don't believe it.

Edited by Idano

• 3 weeks later...

Here it is:

The Mysteries of Easter Island - Jean Michel Schwartz / 1975, chapter 6: "Transporting the Statues".

The -L- sort of resurrected this thread by starting a new one about the same topic in another forum here.

And that's how I remembered I once forgot to add a copy of 2 pages of the book:

EasterIsland_transport.jpg