Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cell phone in 1928?

Rickety

That anyone could be so desperate to demonstrate the anachronistic existence of an item we know didn't exist in 1928 just astounds me... It isn't a cell phone. End of story. I frankly couldn't care less what it is; but the suggestion that it's a cellular phone simply needn't ever have arisen in this discussion at all. It's absurd. But either way, yes, a hearing aid is almost certainly what it being placed to the woman's ear; my grandmother used the same type of hearing aid (albeit slightly different; but then, different models look different, after all) when I was a child.

• Like 1

Now THAT is a compelling argument sir! I applaud you for that! :clap:

I didn't think about that one.

BUT! Could it be possible that the user modified it, prior to using it, to use radio waves, which are similar to cell waves, to make very short distance calls? Or perhaps a HAM wave?

Modified what? And how would anyone get ahold of a cell phone in 1928? There were no electronics at that early date and no miniature power supplies. So one has to wonder, where's the rest of this "cell phone" and where is the wagon carrying the rest of the equipment and power supply?

Edit for punctuation.

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 1

Actually, it's not from a Chaplin film, it is from the scene in front of the theatre before the premiere of a Chaplin movie.

Now look, the claim is that it's a time traveler, right? We need to be a bit creative here, after all the claim is pretty creative in itself. So you can forget all about towers and who was the server. If she's from the future, she comes with her phone. She does not want to be conspicuous so she buys clothing of the period.

Not knowing the technology of the future, we cannot determine if there would be dimensional service enabling her to speak to her own time, not the 1920s. Fantasy? Of course. But at the turn of the 20th century it was claimed that if you went 60 MPH in a car, it would suck all the air from your lungs. 200 years before that Europeans didn't eat tomatoes because they stirred the passions of young maidens and tomatoes would not be eaten for another 200 years.

Do I believe this is a time traveler? No. But anyone who claims something is impossible underestimates the drive for human achievement.

• Like 2

Do I believe this is a time traveler? No. But anyone who claims something is impossible underestimates the drive for human achievement.

Indeed. If a sentient being can conceive it and believe it, it can achieve it.

BUT! Could it be possible that the user modified it, prior to using it, to use radio waves, which are similar to cell waves, to make very short distance calls? Or perhaps a HAM wave?

Dear. God.

He knows too much.

• Like 1

Actually, it's not from a Chaplin film, it is from the scene in front of the theatre before the premiere of a Chaplin movie.

Now look, the claim is that it's a time traveler, right? We need to be a bit creative here, after all the claim is pretty creative in itself. So you can forget all about towers and who was the server. If she's from the future, she comes with her phone. She does not want to be conspicuous so she buys clothing of the period.

Not knowing the technology of the future, we cannot determine if there would be dimensional service enabling her to speak to her own time, not the 1920s. Fantasy? Of course. But at the turn of the 20th century it was claimed that if you went 60 MPH in a car, it would suck all the air from your lungs. 200 years before that Europeans didn't eat tomatoes because they stirred the passions of young maidens and tomatoes would not be eaten for another 200 years.

"We don't know what will happen/be available in the future" isn't a valid argument for what may have happened in the past. Unless your contention is along the lines of "she's talking to Lieutenant Uhura aboard the USS Enterprise". And no, I wouldn't believe that either.

I never said it was "impossible", but then again it's also "possible" (hypothetically speaking) that the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy is also the drain for a galactic toilet and we're just waiting for our turn to get flushed. It shows as much a lack of evidence as this time travel claim.

cormac

• Like 1

Modified what? And how would anyone get ahold of a cell phone in 1928? There were no electronics at that early date and no miniature power supplies. So one has to wonder, where's the rest of this "cell phone" and where is the wagon carrying the rest of the equipment and power supply?

Edit for punctuation.

cormac

I think what he is getting at is that it is some sort of highly modified phone version of a DeLorean brought from the future, somehow tweaked to run without any additional usual outside cellular phone use accoutrement.

"But Doc, what about cell towers?"

"We won't need cell towers where we're going.."

28041406.jpg

Edited by _Only
  • Like 2

Looks like the new iphone 6 that's coming out next week.

• Like 1

I think what he is getting at is that it is some sort of highly modified phone version of a DeLorean brought from the future.

28041406.jpg

Perhaps but since time travel itself hasn't been shown to be a fact, it's rather pointless in anyone making claims of something having been taken back in time because of it. Another case of cart before the horse IMO.

cormac

• Like 1

The reason I've argued against this is because... it's me, from the future who went back in time to escape the T-800 that's trying to kill me. The phone? I was hungry and was ordering time pizza delivery.

• Like 1

I saw this on another forum its kinda cool.it might be the lady is just nuts and she thinks she is on the phone..

Dammit, somebody has already beaten me to the "antique hearing aid".

EDIT: Lol @ the OP.

Edited by Alienated Being
  • Like 3

Good lord, someone actually buys this crap?

Egads.

Hence why I loled at the OP.

• Like 3

Good lord, someone actually buys this crap?

Egads.

Funny .... I was just thinking the same thing .

TiP.

• Like 2

assuming for a moment it is a mobile phone, who is she talking to? There is no signal tower to boost the signal to reach a satellite. Of course, it could be a future phone that can boost it's own signal to reach a satellite. Of course, there were no satellites, unless there were of course and we don't know about them.

So we have a time traveller using a future phone to call someone using a satellite that we don't know if it exists at all.

Or ... it could be a hearing aid.

Occam's Mobile Phone only rings for one of these calls you know.

Fortunately the always sexy and exceptionally bright Hasina has once again taken the stance of reason in the face of such nonsense. Bravo good lady. Bravo. :tu:

• Like 2

Fortunately the always sexy and exceptionally bright Hasina has once again taken the stance of reason in the face of such nonsense. Bravo good lady. Bravo. :tu:

You ****ing suck-up. :tu:

With regards to the actual "topic"...

I bet this lady's provider was Koodo.

• Like 1

No one has invoked Occam's razor yet? Tsk, tsk!

Logical answer (thanks Hasina), a period hearing aid/device. Once you can fully disprove the logical answer, only then you can entertain the more fanciful explanations.

As an aside, on a different forum someone tried to raise another 'time traveller' in a photo from a 1930's World Exhibition photograph. In a crowd of about thirty or 40 people was one guy who looked like a stereotypical beatnik from the early 1960's (cheezy beard, t-shirt, glasses and all).

Time traveller, or a guy that just had forward thinking fashion sense? What's the more logical answer?

Yeah, what a hero.

The reason I've argued against this is because... it's me, from the future who went back in time to escape the T-800 that's trying to kill me. The phone? I was hungry and was ordering time pizza delivery.

"It's there in 80 years, or, you get it free!"/84 year old pizza should be free.//and Hat's off to, Wearer of Hats, for mentioning Occam first. You get a free slice of antiquated pizza. Enjoy!

No one has invoked Occam's razor yet? Tsk, tsk!

Logical answer (thanks Hasina), a period hearing aid/device. Once you can fully disprove the logical answer, only then you can entertain the more fanciful explanations.

As an aside, on a different forum someone tried to raise another 'time traveller' in a photo from a 1930's World Exhibition photograph. In a crowd of about thirty or 40 people was one guy who looked like a stereotypical beatnik from the early 1960's (cheezy beard, t-shirt, glasses and all).

Time traveller, or a guy that just had forward thinking fashion sense? What's the more logical answer?

I don't know, that thread made it here in a few threads of its own, too. In my opinion, he wasn't even out of fit for the time.

You decide (sunglasses and shirt/jacket/hairstyle has been shown in equivalent time period photos in other threads):

ABYC000a00fa.jpg

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1