Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is modern music lacking

The_Spirit_of_Truth

interesting, there's a theory that both dolphins and whales actually sing for enjoyment no jut communication whereas birds (on the whole) do it for sex and territoriality.

Above all, the safety of our soul means 1. Not to be stolen 2. Not to live (or develop itself) in unsuitable conditions like living amidst a lie and under some wrong worldview, experiencing of too much suffering, too much evil or too much good.

This is all very subjective, especially the "wrong worldview" part.

I have to laugh at the disclaimer on your link:

"The text placed on this educational web site only represents the private opinion, fantastic imaginations and subjective feelings of an individual. The author disclaims any responsibility for the damage caused to anyone by the use of and/or manipulation with this text and he does not warrant the correctness, trueness, completeness, safety or usefulness of any information stated in it."

Every human soul - while living in man's body - should experience some feelings of sympathy and compassion. And music can help it. Because music addresses our inside, it would be wrong if it was addressing it only by ways that won't cause us to have feelings of the sympathy and compassion.

I do not believe humans possess a "soul"........and yet I still have feelings of sympathy and compassion.

"Wrong" is highly subjective!

• Like 1

What is modern music lacking? Talent?

Being a "Gen X'er"...I came up with great talent. I just don't hear the originality anymore. Seems most of the "new" is just a "re-do" of the old.

But in all seriousness, I am not busting on any generation of music. When I was young, I liked "this" and thought "that" sucked and as I got older, then "that" didn't sound so bad. I pretty much love all music. There are a few genres I don't care for but I respect them nonetheless.

As far as music touching you...it depends on your mood...try classical...it always stirs something in me personally.

Is a DaVinci painting art? Is a Picasso painting art? I'd never call Picasso's work 'art' but many do.

In which definition of "art" does Picasso's work not fit?

In which definition of "art" does Picasso's work not fit?

It was an example. Many people say 'music nowadays isn't music', DaVinci's work was realistic, while Picasso's isn't, it's pleasing to look at. Just because Picasso's work isn't as realistic as Picasso's does it make it less worthy of being called art? Modern music may not sound good to many people, that still doesn't make it not music, or bad, it's just different.

modern pop music is soulless ;)

What they call "R&B" is more often then not sound and fury signifying nothing.

Note to the Biebers of the world - a song is not repeating the same word over and over in the same tone of voice.

Again, on behalf of the nation of Canada, we sincerely apologize for Justin Bieber... and Celine Dion... and Nickelback.

We're also sorry that we're also so apologetic.

I'm sorry, disregard that last statement.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 5

In answer to the OP, for a musician to be massively popular they must have 'mass appeal' which usually means they have to appeal to the lowest common (mass) denominator.

Stop listening to top 40 radio and go to your nearest 'folkfest', or search online. You'll find thousands of worthy artists that will appeal to your personal taste.

interesting, there's a theory that both dolphins and whales actually sing for enjoyment no jut communication whereas birds (on the whole) do it for sex and territoriality.

Interesting theory.

I "only" wanted to exterminate & annihilate their Hellish souls but I cannot speak about it any more.

Check it out, people. THIS is why Pavel posted this topic to begin with. He thinks music should focus more on the fact that 'hellish people' want to swallow the souls of good people like him. And he considers the majority of humans to be 'hellish'. This is actually what he believes, no joke. So whatever your thoughts about music, keep in mind that the person asking is paranoid, delusional and in serious need of psychiatric attention.

This is all very subjective, especially the "wrong worldview" part.

I have to laugh at the disclaimer on your link:

"The text placed on this educational web site only represents the private opinion, fantastic imaginations and subjective feelings of an individual. The author disclaims any responsibility for the damage caused to anyone by the use of and/or manipulation with this text and he does not warrant the correctness, trueness, completeness, safety or usefulness of any information stated in it."

:D

It is my own work, actually no real lawyer would be capable of such a precise work!

And now with a little bit of humor: Once when it was for the first time really important, I have made, also for the first time, an error in my disclaimer. I did not correctly stated that I am not responsible for what I have written.

In answer to the OP, for a musician to be massively popular they must have 'mass appeal' which usually means they have to appeal to the lowest common (mass) denominator.

To appeal is one of the main criteriums. In this respect you are right.

Stop listening to top 40 radio and go to your nearest 'folkfest', or search online. You'll find thousands of worthy artists that will appeal to your personal taste.

If I will get a chance I will look at it.

If I will get a chance I will look at it.

You'd better get a chance to listen to a multitude of music you apparently haven't heard, if you're going to write an article about how wrong modern music is. I'd assumed you'd actually listened to various forms of modern music, making that claim.

Again, on behalf of the nation of Canada, we sincerely apologize for Justin Bieber... and Celine Dion... and Nickelback.

The fact that Canada gave us such great bands such as Saga, Trooper, Loverboy,The Killer Dwarfs, Bryan Adams, Steppenwolf, Loverboy, Red Rider and of course, Rush pretty much makes up for your aforementioned bands. :D

This pretty much sums up modern music to me. :yes:

ModernMusic.jpg

• Like 6

You know it's bad when you prefer to listen to hatsune miku over most other modern music...

Not saying that I regulary listen to her, just saying she's better...

Edited by failturner25

The fact that Canada gave us such great bands such as Saga, Trooper, Loverboy,The Killer Dwarfs, Bryan Adams, Steppenwolf, Loverboy, Red Rider and of course, Rush pretty much makes up for your aforementioned bands. :D

This pretty much sums up modern music to me. :yes:

ModernMusic.jpg

This is the perfect example of everything I believe on this topic... Nice

• Like 3

You left out one of my favorites from the late 70's - eighties.......Triumph!

Rush Rules! Glad they finally got nominated to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

• Like 3

Rush = the greatest Canadian export ever!

I am a huge Rush fan! To me, they are one of, if not the, greatest rock band ever.

From "working man" on forward, each new album was an adventure in music exploration and discovery. Always loved the themed albums but my favorite is "2112" followed closely by "Hemispheres"...but then again, it's almost impossible to pick a favorite...there is no such thing as a bad Rush album. It's like on one youtube video of a Rush song, one of the comments said "why is there a dislike button on a Rush song?"

Edited by Jeremiah65

You left out one of my favorites from the late 70's - eighties.......Triumph!

Rush Rules! Glad they finally got nominated to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

So glad to hear someone besides my circle of friends remembers Triumph! I was just about to post that but you beat me to it... :)

• Like 1

Ah...........anyone remember a canadian singer/song writer named Neil Young.

• Like 1

There is plenty of good modern music out there, the trouble is you will not here it on main stream radio stations and if you are not introduced to it you have nobody to blame but yourself...

Every generation moans about the decline in quality of 'music', our parents done it, we do it and our children will do it too. Music does change but don't forget we do too, it is us getting older and rejecting what we are not familiar with combined with a new generation being bored of what they have grown up with and wanting to hear something different.

Having said that Biff, loved your Beyonce and Queen comparison. ;)

• Like 2

There is plenty of good modern music out there, the trouble is you will not here it on main stream radio stations and if you are not introduced to it you have nobody to blame but yourself...

Every generation moans about the decline in quality of 'music', our parents done it, we do it and our children will do it too. Music does change but don't forget we do too, it is us getting older and rejecting what we are not familiar with combined with a new generation being bored of what they have grown up with and wanting to hear something different.

Having said that Biff, loved your Beyonce and Queen comparison. ;)

I agree, except he cherry picked those two songs for hyperbole's sake. You can find much more relevant and real songs with meaning from most any artist, Beyonce included:

If you search

For tenderness

It isn't hard to find

You can have the love

You need to live

But if you look

For truthfulness

You might just

As well be blind

It always seems to be

So hard to give

[Chorus:]

Honesty

Is such a lonely word

Everyone is so untrue

Honesty

Is hardly ever heard

And mostly

What I need from you

I can always

Find someone

To say

They sympathize

If I wear my heart

Out on my sleeve

But I don't want

Some pretty face

To tell me

Pretty lies

All I want

Is someone

To believe

[Chorus]

I can find a lover

I can find a friend

I can have security

Until the bitter end

Anyone can comfort me

With promises again

I know, I know

When I'm deep

Inside of me

Don't be

Too concerned

I won't ask

For nothin'

While I'm gone

But when I want

Sincerity

Tell me where else

Can I turn

Because

You're the one

That I depend upon

Not hearing that song except reading the lyrics, I could imagine it as a Paul McCartney tune sung to a lone piano, and would be none the wiser.

To compare a hero among song writer/performers to mainly unknown ghost writers of song lyrics is unfair.

• Like 2

So glad to hear someone besides my circle of friends remembers Triumph! I was just about to post that but you beat me to it... :)

I had to reply to your comment Mantis. not sure if you knew but in the UK Triumph used to produce cars that are classics today like the Stag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Stag) and the Spitfire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Spitfire).

Looks like Triumph are right up your street musically and maybe automotive-lly too. :)

Sorry to go off-topic people, back to the music...

I can hardly call todays music ..."music"..... All it is these days is sampling and remixing..... its as bad as the movie industry ...... no one has an orginal idea and if they do its completely trashed by the media and society because it is a new concept ..... So artist(loosely said) run to the past to find things that they know will sell..... There are a few good artist these days but rare.....

• Like 1