Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Testosterone Increases Honesty

Karlis

Testosterone also fosters social behavior

Researchers working with Dr. Armin Falk, an economist from the University of Bonn, have now demonstrated that this sex hormone surprisingly also fosters social behavior. Subjects who had received testosterone clearly lied less frequently than individuals who had only received a placebo.

Read more

• Like 1

The more testosterone you have the more honest you are about about your actual size?

(lol)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

Dodgy science at it's worst! So .......... as women have less testosterone, this would mean that they lie more and are not so dedicated to good social behaviour? How can they possibly quantify such a thing? :wacko: The 'honesty' test they gave the men involved them sitting alone in booths, betting against others in a similar situation ........ how unnatural and far-removed from reality is that?!!

:blinks:: testosterone....the stuff men.....have a huge abundance of ...that testosterone ?

Honesty ......???

*falls on the floor laughing*

• Like 2

I'm not sure how many posters ridiculing the OP article noticed one specific word:

Researchers working with Dr. Armin Falk, an economist from the University of Bonn, have now demonstrated that
this sex hormone surprisingly
also
fosters social behavior.

Just one word can "also" provide a whole lot of difference in understanding a point in an article. :tu:

Karlis

Edited by Karlis

as women have less testosterone, this would mean that they lie more and are not so dedicated to good social behaviour?

Seems to agree with my personal experience...

HAHAHAHA!!!

• Like 1

I'm not sure how many posters ridiculing the OP article noticed one specific word:

Researchers working with Dr. Armin Falk, an economist from the University of Bonn, have now demonstrated that
this sex hormone surprisingly
also
fosters social behavior.

Just one word can "also" provide a whole lot of difference in understanding a point in an article. :tu:

Karlis

Joking does not equal ridicule. Personally, I was having a laugh about the title of the thread. If the title had been, Testosterone Fosters Social Behaviour I'd merely have read the linked article and "liked" the OP.

Should I refrain from joking on UM?

Edited by Eldorado

I have to wonder,if a woman headed up the research ,the results would have been the same.

In my experience, men lie about the most extraordinary things ,and repeatedly .

Why the two presidential candidates are men , and gosh ,I just don't find either very honest .

It's laughable,because its so preposterous in its conclusions.

Most everyone lies,and men lie a whhhoollle lot more than women . So....its just not plausible ,to me ,.

Call em like I see em

• Like 1

I have to wonder,if a woman headed up the research ,the results would have been the same.

In my experience, men lie about the most extraordinary things ,and repeatedly .

Why the two presidential candidates are men , and gosh ,I just don't find either very honest .

It's laughable,because its so preposterous in its conclusions.

Most everyone lies,and men lie a whhhoollle lot more than women . So....its just not plausible ,to me ,.

Call em like I see em

Simbi, get a girlfriend and see how that compares with all of your former boyfriends and get back to me.
  • Like 1

Joking does not equal ridicule. Personally, I was having a laugh about the title of the thread. If the title had been, Testosterone Fosters Social Behaviour I'd merely have read the linked article and "liked" the OP.

Should I refrain from joking on UM?

Hi and G'day Eldorado,

If joking was prohibited on UM, how long do you think this forum would last?

Edited to add: Since you did not click on "like", do you mean you did not like my OP post? :cry:

Edited by Karlis

Dodgy science at it's worst! So .......... as women have less testosterone, this would mean that they lie more and are not so dedicated to good social behaviour?

No, that is an incorrect conclusion.

If they would've included women in the study maybe the results would've been different. And also there has not been an experiment that tests correlation between estrogen and honesty.

So your suggestive question is not valid.

Seems to agree with my personal experience...

HAHAHAHA!!!

Testosterone also makes men more predictable than women :lol:

I disagree. I think women have evolved more to survive by being manipulative, while men have evolved to survive by being more aggressive and direct.

Testosterone also makes men more predictable than women

I agree, and I think your statement relates to what I said above.

I disagree. I think women have evolved more to survive by being manipulative, while men have evolved to survive by being more aggressive and direct.

Yes, this could very well be the case.

You know what they say "Behind every man there is a great woman".

The BBC is taping a new series called The White Queen. It's about the the women through history who manipulated their way to power, behind the scenes.

I think it is true that women have been evolutionarily forced to become more manipulative instead of explicitly agressive. It makes sense since women have been oppressed in so many ways during all these years.

Simbi, get a girlfriend and see how that compares with all of your former boyfriends and get back to me.

I was with one guy ,who was in a band . Long story ...but ,not only was i lied to about all the big secret behind the scenes stuff,for Lo...ten years almost ,the band had sex,with their fans ,for money . Yeah really .I found that out ,AFTER the fact . So many lies ,it boggles my mind ,even now.

Then there was the guy used to lie to me about his ex,and all the strippers he hung out with ,and then of course the incident with the dog .

Then there was the guy who still had the GF in Florida ,and lied to both her and me .

Ummmm,men lie a lot. Watch maury povich .

The women are bad,but the bad men ,outnumber the women cases,by I think three to one .

My gay male friends are more honest than my straight female friends ,but honest to me ,not the guys they date. So,conversely ,date a few guys ,and then get back to me.

Edited by Simbi Laveau

lies! all of it!

:lol:

i think honesty or lack of it are learned responses more than they are dictated by our hormones. perhaps hormones play a part but i think conditioning and life experiences are a bigger factor in whether someone is honest or not.

Edited by JGirl

I was with one guy ,who was in a band . Long story ...but ,not only was i lied to about all the big secret behind the scenes stuff,for Lo...ten years almost ,the band had sex,with their fans ,for money . Yeah really .I found that out ,AFTER the fact . So many lies ,it boggles my mind ,even now.

Then there was the guy used to lie to me about his ex,and all the strippers he hung out with ,and then of course the incident with the dog .

Then there was the guy who still had the GF in Florida ,and lied to both her and me .

Ummmm,men lie a lot. Watch maury povich .

The women are bad,but the bad men ,outnumber the women cases,by I think three to one .

:rolleyes:

This last statement proves yet again that you are the biggest liar of all, Simbi. Making up statistics again.

You simply attract your own kind.