Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Airship to conduct aerial search for Bigfoot

Saru

This sounds like it would be a large craft, right?

Wouldn't the Bigfoot believers just say that smart Bigfoot saw the craft and hid until it was gone?

I would think the creation of this project would be documentary worthy. Earn some TV dollars, interest some investors...

Wouldn't the Bigfoot believers just say that smart Bigfoot saw the craft and hid until it was gone?

Yes they would, and they would not be entirely wrong.

I would think the creation of this project would be documentary worthy. Earn some TV dollars, interest some investors...

It is going to be remote controlled, right? That has Tourism written all over it. Put the thing up in a high mountainous forested region, and sell virtual "rides" on it, or "flying" it for $50 for ten minutes.

Very large dual halves, from what I can tell.

Erm... it's not exactly easy to spot things from an airship, even with thermo. If it was, we wouldn't be having the problems we are in Afghanastan :w00t:

Erm... it's not exactly easy to spot things from an airship, even with thermo. If it was, we wouldn't be having the problems we are in Afghanastan :w00t:

The problem in Afghanistan is not spotting targets, it's confirming the target is the one they want to kill.

I don't think they would have any problem finding heart signatures and getting good clear photos if they have the right cameras with quality optics. It's just like anything else...it comes down to how much money you can throw at it.

• Like 2

Update :

After a few emails, and explaining myself to Jeff ( Idaho State University ), he replied that he will be happy to come in and answer questions and hear feedback. I understand what he is saying, he does not need, nor want to read the one line " this is stupid " crap.

It is not often that a legitimate person gets involved in crypto, and especially involved on a discussion forum. Myself being a skeptic, I find this very promising. Any skeptic I know has asked many times " why is a major university not involved, or a real scientist? "....Well, now there is, and I for one am glad to see this, and not another Biscardi finding bigfoot story....

Jeff said he will be out for a week, so hopefully we will see him soon.

Please do not ruin this for those of us interested in mature discussion. I am sure Jeff can answer a ton of questions in this field, and this topic.

• Like 4

Welcome, Dr. Meldrum.

And thank you for agreeing to take the time to talk to us when you can.

And thanks, Sakari, for making it possible.

• Like 1

I think that is why they want to custom build the rig for the camera and custom build the optics too.

Depends on how you define "large". It would be bigger than you average RC plane or helo, but it wouldn't have to be large enough for a pilot. Radio Controls have come a very long way in the last few years and so has night vision and FLIR technology. I have no idea how they plan to deploy or operate the thing but I doubt it would really need to be much larger than a hang glider.

Update :

After a few emails, and explaining myself to Jeff ( Idaho State University ), he replied that he will be happy to come in and answer questions and hear feedback. I understand what he is saying, he does not need, nor want to read the one line " this is stupid " crap.

It is not often that a legitimate person gets involved in crypto, and especially involved on a discussion forum. Myself being a skeptic, I find this very promising. Any skeptic I know has asked many times " why is a major university not involved, or a real scientist? "....Well, now there is, and I for one am glad to see this, and not another Biscardi finding bigfoot story....

Jeff said he will be out for a week, so hopefully we will see him soon.

Please do not ruin this for those of us interested in mature discussion. I am sure Jeff can answer a ton of questions in this field, and this topic.

You're a walking wonder Sakari!!! It'll be really interesting to see what Meldrum has to say about all this. And I agree with you; if any one only has "This is Stupid" or "Waste of time and money" - just keep out of this discussion then. You can complain elsewhere!

You're a walking wonder Sakari!!! It'll be really interesting to see what Meldrum has to say about all this. And I agree with you; if any one only has "This is Stupid" or "Waste of time and money" - just keep out of this discussion then. You can complain elsewhere!

Dr. Meldrum is the one to be thanked, I just conversed with him on email. As said, he is out for a week, so let's hope he shows up to discuss this with everyone after that.

• Like 1

Depends on how you define "large". It would be bigger than you average RC plane or helo, but it wouldn't have to be large enough for a pilot. Radio Controls have come a very long way in the last few years and so has night vision and FLIR technology.

How about noise? I'm anticipating the excuses we'll hear when no Bigfoots are found.

I agree this thing would be excellent for all kinds of biological and ecological research all over the world. It would be great for early detection of forest fires after thunderstorms. I'm surprised there are similar craft in use already.

How about noise? I'm anticipating the excuses we'll hear when no Bigfoots are found.

I agree this thing would be excellent for all kinds of biological and ecological research all over the world. It would be great for early detection of forest fires after thunderstorms. I'm surprised there are similar craft in use already.

That's going to depend on how they power the thing. If they use electric motors then the thing will make very little noise, so little in fact that if it's just above tree top level you won't hear it on the ground......unless you're a dog. The only real issue is going to be battery size and weight issues, the bigger the battery the heavier it is and the power they will have to use and that will shorten the flight time and limit the range. The advantage of using a balloon is it will give them the chance to offset that issue by making the balloon proper larger. Unfortunately, they haven't asked for my engineering opinion and I seriously doubt they will. Which is ashamed because it's easy to fix something when it's just lines on paper, you just whip out your eraser and put in the new lines, the fix is a lot tougher when it's been built and is a real thing.

As far as excuses from the "true believers" shoot, they have excuses standing at the ready it seems and if they don't have one ready right then they'll make up some "fact" about Bigfoots having night vision or hypersonic hearing or they can sense things mystically.

However, drones have been in use by the military for some time now and police and fire departments use all sorts of remotely controlled gizmos all the time. This is just the first that's claiming to be built for this expressed purpose. "MonsterQuest" on the History Channel has used a RC Helo a couple times on their show. It was electrically powered and made very little noise and the FLIR it used gave a great view. However they stopped using them because I suppose they didn't want to actually find the critter or that would end a huge part of their show.

If it were me, I'd either...

1) build some "docking stations" for it to recharge several times a day. A short tower where it can attach and recharge without landing. Maybe telescoping and deployable off the back of a pickup truck.

or...

2) Use photovoltaic cells on the balloon to collect electricity while it is inflated, even while flying.

Looks like it will use a ducted fan system ( from what I read so far ). They are not silent. I am sure it will be using lipoly batteries, and from what I read it will only be up 3 to 4 hours.

Fire fighting blimps....

Ducted fan noise level ( if this is being used )

I do not like this :

should a Bigfoot be spotted, viewers will only see the first few seconds, with the rest of the footage being saved for a planned educational documentary for the public. He hopes to record at least 45 minutes of smooth, clear Bigfoot footage (or perhaps “Bigfootage”?) for use in that film, half of the proceeds of which will go towards educating the public in wilderness conservation.

I think if something substantial were captured, keeping it hidden until a documentary is made would not be good at all. How many times have we seen " footage to be released soon ", " DNA to be released soon "?

If one is out to prove the existence of a new animal, especially one like this, any evidence should be put out right away, to show the progress of the program built off of donations.

Something I was also wandering about ( I hope these guys show up to discuss things )..

This kind of project I would bet is in the tens of thousands. For a substantially less amount of money ( actually, this is done every day by hunters as I type ) trail cameras with satelite technology can be purchased. The pictures sent through satelite to a home computer.

Smart Scouter Black Ops 940Smart-Scouter-Black-Ops.jpg

New for 2011, Smart Scouter introduces the Black Ops 940, a truly advanced scouting/ surveillance camera. This trail camera wirelessly sends images to your phone or e-mail via satellite so you can instantly know what is in front of your trail camera. The Black Ops 940 features a wide-angle lens, black-out optical lens filter and a covert flat black finish. It takes color photos by day and black and white photos by night. A high-grain antenna means extended wireless reach for better coverage and service which allows you to receive real time photos in an average of 2 minutes. This unit features an easy to use menu settings and allows the ability to select high, low or mega picture resolutions. Compatible with AT&T, Sprint and Vnet.

These can be purchased from $250.00. A good number of these in many locations could be placed and monitored.

Something I was also wandering about ( I hope these guys show up to discuss things )..

This kind of project I would bet is in the tens of thousands. For a substantially less amount of money ( actually, this is done every day by hunters as I type ) trail cameras with satelite technology can be purchased. The pictures sent through satelite to a home computer.

Smart Scouter Black Ops 940Smart-Scouter-Black-Ops.jpg

New for 2011, Smart Scouter introduces the Black Ops 940, a truly advanced scouting/ surveillance camera. This trail camera wirelessly sends images to your phone or e-mail via satellite so you can instantly know what is in front of your trail camera. The Black Ops 940 features a wide-angle lens, black-out optical lens filter and a covert flat black finish. It takes color photos by day and black and white photos by night. A high-grain antenna means extended wireless reach for better coverage and service which allows you to receive real time photos in an average of 2 minutes. This unit features an easy to use menu settings and allows the ability to select high, low or mega picture resolutions. Compatible with AT&T, Sprint and Vnet.

These can be purchased from $250.00. A good number of these in many locations could be placed and monitored.

For the same amount of money, they could have hundreds of cameras put all over the place. Seems like a better alternative.

• Like 2

I think if something substantial were captured, keeping it hidden until a documentary is made would not be good at all. How many times have we seen " footage to be released soon ", " DNA to be released soon "?

Science is not done in documentaries. It would be a scandal if these professors sold this as a scientific project and ended up using it as a moneymaking scheme. I don't see how their university could back this.

As I've said, this huge ship is like overkill to me, imo.

Cool, but too much of a good thing for the purpose of tracking what is considered an elusive, wary, and seemingly mostly solitary animal.

Not to mention sighting spots aren't guaranteed.

I know where to look for bighorn sheep or wild horses or even mountain lions---but where will they know to look for bigfoot? (Speaking as a believer from their POV).

Even if the ship covers a wide area, its limited flight time and expense of flying-- How much area will this ship have cover for its recon to be worth it when it's uncertain even where to look for its target?

Edited by QuiteContrary

With a limited flight time, they'll have to take it out to the search site on a vehicle or trailer, rather then fly it out there.

I suppost that they'll figure out an initial search site based on concentrations of BF reports. Probably not the best way to decide where to search, but IMHO, as good as any other for finding BF.

This is a quote from Rafterman in the thread "Hunting Bigfoot":

"My recommendation would be to find a river/stream in an area where sightings have happened and spend a lot of time in a kayak.

Bigfoot's gotta drink, right? And the kayak is a super stealthy platform ideal for such surveillance. I'm constantly coming up on animals in mine and they don't even know you're there until you're right on top of them - no bigfoots yet, but I'm always looking"

I think this is an excellent observation. A silent water craft rigged with video equipment that may be equipped to not even need an RC or any pilot. There must be stretches of water in BF "territory" good for this?

• Like 2

This is a quote from Rafterman in the thread "Hunting Bigfoot":

"My recommendation would be to find a river/stream in an area where sightings have happened and spend a lot of time in a kayak.

Bigfoot's gotta drink, right? And the kayak is a super stealthy platform ideal for such surveillance. I'm constantly coming up on animals in mine and they don't even know you're there until you're right on top of them - no bigfoots yet, but I'm always looking"

I think this is an excellent observation. A silent water craft rigged with video equipment that may be equipped to not even need an RC or any pilot. There must be stretches of water in BF "territory" good for this?

Trail cams next to creeks and rivers would be easier :) ( and are there now from hunters )

• Like 1