Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Did Dinosaurs Sleep?

Still Waters

Bone by bone and study by study, paleontologists are learning more than ever before about dinosaurs. But there are still many aspects about prehistoric biology that we know little about. In fact, some of the simplest facets of dinosaur lives remain elusive.

For one thing, we don’t know much at all about how dinosaurs slept. Did Apatosaurus doze standing up or kneel down to rest? Did tyrannosaurs use their tiny, muscular arms to push themselves off the ground after a nap? And, given the discovery of so many enfluffled dinosaurs, did fuzzy dinosaurs ever cuddle up together to stay warm on chilly Mesozoic nights?

http://blogs.smithso...inosaurs-sleep/

In big ol'beds.

Actually it's an interesting question, especially the point on Tyrannosaur.

LOL
  • Like 1

meilong2.jpg

I should have added that this is a depiction based on the found skeleton.

• Like 2

All this made me think of the next:

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

They could have been like horses or elephants and slept standing, at least the larger ones. If your body mass is so large and heavy, laying down would be an uncomfortable and probably dangerous position to be in. The weight would compress the lungs making breathing difficult. Larger animals would also have to worry about blood circulation when in a laying or sitting position. The smaller dinosaurs might have slept laying down like any other creature who's body isn't so incredibly bulky.

• Like 1

How Did Dinosaurs Sleep?

With Dino-snores?

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 3

The bigger the creature the more likely it was to sleep standing up, think about it for a second what happens to a beached whale it hits dry land and slowly crushes itself. Granted it doesn't have legs and so can't adjust itself But still how much bigger were the dinos than the whales of today? even with the dino's legs many of them weighed a lot more than a whale and to top that many preditors hunt at night, If this was also true with dino preditors then being asleep on the ground was a death sentence for anything caught that way.

I don't REALLY see the point in this study. Us humans, we all sleep differently. Some of us sleep on our sides, on our backs, on our stomach, in the fetal position. Same goes for dogs, I've seen some that sleep on there backs with leggs in the air. My jack russel, he sleeps either like a fawn (like, ya know, on his side, with his legs partially folded up, with his head near his front legs on the ground, well I guess more like a doughnut rather than a fawn), or he sleeps with either his front half on his side, and his back half on his back, or the other way around. I presume most animals, and even dinosaurs, would have different ways to sleep. Unless it's like a bird which basically can only sleep in a roosting position.

sleep standing or laying down like most herding critter moma's an babies in the middle with the rest around the outside protecting???? just a guess looking at nature any way

• Like 1

Am imagining a little t-rex trying to climb up onto the top bunk bed but his wee arms can't reach. Aww. Poor wee T.

• Like 1

Am imagining a little t-rex trying to climb up onto the top bunk bed but his wee arms can't reach. Aww. Poor wee T.

<---------- ya T-rex had it hard :/
  • Like 1

Every T-shirt he bought, the sleeves were too long. :(

and the head hole was always to small, so i would figure he was always skins in a game of basketball.
  • Like 1

The bigger the creature the more likely it was to sleep standing up, think about it for a second what happens to a beached whale it hits dry land and slowly crushes itself. Granted it doesn't have legs and so can't adjust itself But still how much bigger were the dinos than the whales of today? even with the dino's legs many of them weighed a lot more than a whale and to top that many preditors hunt at night, If this was also true with dino preditors then being asleep on the ground was a death sentence for anything caught that way.

That could be right..

How does a giraffe sleep? T Rex might also have been able to squat and rest on his tail. Just guessing.

there is no evidence that dinosaurs ever slept at all :blush:

• Like 2

Yes, and they've found evidence of them having huge eye bags.

• Like 2

Extinction via coke addiction? (lol)

• Like 1

Extinction via coke addiction? (lol)

That would explain their vicious character.

< thinking of my ex now >

• Like 1