Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive diamond planet discovered

jugoso

Keep dreaming guys. Unless teleportation is invented, keep dreaming. It's 40 "light" years away

Heck that's only 240,000,000,000,000 miles away... I could just hop in my car and at 70mph get there in a measley 391,389,432 years... (I'd probably better pack a lunch... and some snacks - maybe a spare can of gas for the return trip)...

Now all I need is a ring mount big enough to hold it. This will put all the celebrities and their stupidly huge wedding/engagement rings to shame.

Twinkle, twinkle little star,

How I wonder what you are,

Up above the world so high,

Like a diamond in the sky.

Who knew a children's poet would be so foresighted, albeit with a star, not a planet. Lol.

• Like 3

Is this what Rihanna has been warbling on about recently?

Interesting to be sure, but of little, if any, "mining" value. Too far away, unknown confirmation on the science with respect to a "nearly solid diamond planet", blah, blah, blah...

More of an astronomical curiousity than anything else, in my opinion.

they will need a lot of new tech to even consider mining the thing, Not to mention that if it is diamond then it will shatter when it cools, so we

create a tractor beam that can drag it out of it's orbit to some orbit where we can survive, hoping as we do so that there is no strange unique form of life on it that we are destroying,then we let it cool until we can survive on the surface, then mine it and when it gets here diamond will cost the same as copper.

i really would like to understand the scientific "guesswork" that allows our scientists to tell that this is solid diamond. my limited intelligence tells me there is no way in hades that we can know this until we get there and look.

Edited by mysticwerewolf

I'm about to be dull and boring ....... :hmm: : how do the scientists know this? in the article it seems to be all guesswork, 'possibly' and assumption. How can they guess at the construction of the mass of something so far away?

Interesting to be sure, but of little, if any, "mining" value. Too far away, unknown confirmation on the science with respect to a "nearly solid diamond planet", blah, blah, blah...

More of an astronomical curiousity than anything else, in my opinion.

they will need a lot of new tech to even consider mining the thing, Not to mention that if it is diamond then it will shatter when it cools, so we

create a tractor beam that can drag it out of it's orbit to some orbit where we can survive, hoping as we do so that there is no strange unique form of life on it that we are destroying,then we let it cool until we can survive on the surface, then mine it and when it gets here diamond will cost the same as copper.

i really would like to understand the scientific "guesswork" that allows our scientists to tell that this is solid diamond. my limited intelligence tells me there is no way in hades that we can know this until we get there and look.

question-mark.jpg

One day, diamonds will be the cheapest substance in the world.

everything will be made of diamond. hell, people will make fun of you for having it

"wow you still have a toilet made out of diamonds? i didn't think you were THAT poor"

• Like 1

Hhhmmm....all I could think of was Avatar-like humans wouldn't mine the crap out of it, when/if they get there.

One day, diamonds will be the cheapest substance in the world.

everything will be made of diamond. hell, people will make fun of you for having it

"wow you still have a toilet made out of diamonds? i didn't think you were THAT poor"

+1

And the most valuable material would be "wood"

Hhhmmm....all I could think of was Avatar-like humans wouldn't mine the crap out of it, when/if they get there.

I think it would be wonderful if the human race wasn't so avaricious.